Jarell Martin - PF - Madison Prep Academy - Baton Rouge, LA - LSU

• 108 replies
Re: Jarell Martin - PF - Madison Prep Academy - Baton Rouge, LA
« Reply #60 on: September 23, 2012, 04:14:36 PM »
Marco will be gone too by the time the 2014 class is ready to come.  Plenty of ships avail.

Next year though will be tough. I see Gift and DLo gone. I also think we'll have at least 1 transfer.

crgreen

« Reply #61 on: September 23, 2012, 05:21:22 PM »
Marco will be gone too by the time the 2014 class is ready to come.  Plenty of ships avail.

Next year though will be tough. I see Gift and DLo gone. I also think we'll have at least 1 transfer.

Thought Marco comes in with 3 years eligibity?

sju89tr

« Reply #62 on: September 23, 2012, 05:24:54 PM »

Thought Marco comes in with 3 years eligibity?

Ships Open for:

God's Gift

Sanchez

Greene
Pointer
Harrison
Garrett
Branch
Bourgault

Balamou
Obekpa
Sampson
Jones
Hooper

Of course guys will leave early or transfer which will adjust the numbers but no denying staff has a lot of work to do with 2015 and 2016 classes

« Reply #63 on: September 23, 2012, 05:28:05 PM »
Has it been confirmed Sanchez has 2 years eligibility ? I thought someone mentioned he might have 1 year left.

Anyway if Harrison plays point well and has a big time year and Orlando has a big year it's quite possible we have 3 ships for next year

sju89tr

« Reply #64 on: September 23, 2012, 05:52:41 PM »
Has it been confirmed Sanchez has 2 years eligibility ? I thought someone mentioned he might have 1 year left.

Anyway if Harrison plays point well and has a big time year and Orlando has a big year it's quite possible we have 3 ships for next year

I think that's what the staff expects

crgreen

« Reply #65 on: September 23, 2012, 05:54:49 PM »

Seen lots of discussion if he'd only BE here 1 year - but none that he had only 1 year of eligibility.  Not sure I've ever heard of a kid coming direct from JC with less than 2 years eligibility.

paultzman

« Reply #66 on: September 23, 2012, 06:01:25 PM »

Seen lots of discussion if he'd only BE here 1 year - but none that he had only 1 year of eligibility.  Not sure I've ever heard of a kid coming direct from JC with less than 2 years eligibility.

2 years

sju89tr

« Reply #67 on: September 23, 2012, 06:14:34 PM »

There were some issues with him being from out of the country and what he did there if I recall correctly, also lets remember Orlando is older and who knows how long he will stay at STJ

Poison

« Reply #68 on: September 23, 2012, 07:35:13 PM »

Maybe the entire roster will go pro? Maybe they'll make up the first 11 picks in the draft?

« Reply #69 on: September 23, 2012, 08:10:16 PM »

Maybe the entire roster will go pro? Maybe they'll make up the first 11 picks in the draft?
Doubt it. I think Phil comes back for his junior year

MCNPA

« Reply #70 on: September 23, 2012, 09:35:26 PM »
We did have more 'ships to offer last year, the way i see it we may only have a few spots open next year or two....either way super happy with the direction we're headed in.

Think there's a good chance we have several rides open up by the time McCullough would get here for his freshman year in the 2015 season.  Gift and Sanhez will have graduated.   I don't see D'lo staying 4 years.  I think we certainly have  at least one other who'll leave early.   I imagine we'll have at least 1 transfer by then.   And Amir may have to make a decision re: baseball by then....I'm not real worried about rides...

But that also brings up a question I often have when people speculate on a player you get now keeping you from landing a possibly better player down the road.   Even if you think McCullough is  a better PROSPECT than Martin --- is a FRESHMAN McCullough going to be abetter  PLAYER than a SOPHMORE Martin?

A bird in the hand...  Martin is an awesome player. If it costs us McCullough, so be it.  Lawrence, Martin and McCullough are all top 15 players.   All offer a premium guy to the lineup.  Take the guys that will come.

desco80

« Reply #71 on: September 23, 2012, 10:26:18 PM »
We did have more 'ships to offer last year, the way i see it we may only have a few spots open next year or two....either way super happy with the direction we're headed in.

Think there's a good chance we have several rides open up by the time McCullough would get here for his freshman year in the 2015 season.  Gift and Sanhez will have graduated.   I don't see D'lo staying 4 years.  I think we certainly have  at least one other who'll leave early.   I imagine we'll have at least 1 transfer by then.   And Amir may have to make a decision re: baseball by then....I'm not real worried about rides...

But that also brings up a question I often have when people speculate on a player you get now keeping you from landing a possibly better player down the road.   Even if you think McCullough is  a better PROSPECT than Martin --- is a FRESHMAN McCullough going to be abetter  PLAYER than a SOPHMORE Martin?

A bird in the hand...  Martin is an awesome player. If it costs us McCullough, so be it.  Lawrence, Martin and McCullough are all top 15 players.   All offer a premium guy to the lineup.  Take the guys that will come.

Totally agree, we take the guy today - be it Martin or Jordan or whomever, when and if we can,  and deal with next year when it comes.   That would be a great dilemma to have.
Plus I can't imagine a scenario where the staff wouldn't play McCullough and Martin along side each other.    Plenty of room on the court for both of them and even Jakarr too for that matter.   

It seems we've cast a much narrower net this year; and can afford to be more selective.   I just hope we land at least one of
Lawrence
Martin
or Wainwright

You can never have enough scorers, and those guys know how to put the ball in the net. 

Moose

« Reply #72 on: September 23, 2012, 10:33:21 PM »
Oh goodie
Every thread about a recruit can now turn into how many scholarships do we have.
Can't wait.
Remember who broke the Slice news

crgreen

« Reply #73 on: September 23, 2012, 11:26:06 PM »
Oh goodie
Every thread about a recruit can now turn into how many scholarships do we have.
Can't wait.

Maybe we should just all agree - if Coach Lavin offers a kid a ride, he's pretty sure there will BE a ride for the kid.   Whether we know about it or not.   As one recruiting guru/board moderator for another school often has to admonish even his own syncophants, "RECRUITING IS NOT A SPECTATOR SPORT".

MCNPA

« Reply #74 on: September 23, 2012, 11:50:31 PM »
Oh goodie
Can't wait.

Maybe we should just all agree - if Coach Lavin offers a kid a ride, he's pretty sure there will BE a ride for the kid.   Whether we know about it or not.   As one recruiting guru/board moderator for another school often has to admonish even his own syncophants, "RECRUITING IS NOT A SPECTATOR SPORT".

Again CR, us SJU fans haven't had this "problem" until now.  We don't know what to do with ourselves now that we are actually moving in line for major recruits.  We're fighting with ourselves to temper our own enthusiasm over the kids we are in contention for.   Fun times for those of us who have been walking the recruiting beat for a decade or two just hoping to be thrown a few bones.  Surely a different age at SJU.

« Reply #75 on: September 27, 2012, 10:00:37 PM »
Does this hurt the hometown team's chances?

http://t.co/lfseJP5v

Already two 2013 PFs committed there. One being a JUCO.

I'd love to get two of Wainright, Martin, Lawrence and Jordan. Am I getting greedy?  :P

Moose

« Reply #76 on: September 27, 2012, 11:24:18 PM »

I'd love to get two of Wainright, Martin, Lawrence and Jordan. Am I getting greedy?  :P

No your not.
Remember who broke the Slice news

MCNPA

« Reply #77 on: September 28, 2012, 01:22:43 AM »

Mickey to LSU certainly helps our case.  That said, we have one ship and several forwards.  Ultimately I wouldn't mind seeing one ship open up on one of our kids to the NBA, allowing us to land Jordan and one of those forwards.  All of them are sooo good, it really doesn't matter who.

« Reply #78 on: September 28, 2012, 12:39:52 PM »

No your not.
I'd love to get all four of them. Am I being greedy? :)
Moose-yes you are, by two. ;)

sju89tr

« Reply #79 on: September 28, 2012, 12:54:25 PM »

Mickey to LSU certainly helps our case.  That said, we have one ship and several forwards.  Ultimately I wouldn't mind seeing one ship open up on one of our kids to the NBA, allowing us to land Jordan and one of those forwards.  All of them are sooo good, it really doesn't matter who.

With the liklihood that the extra ships comes from D Lo and Sanchez, replacing Sanchez with Martin is very important. It's a long shot though as it's hard to get kids out of that region to leave.