Orlando Sanchez - PF - Monroe CC - Nagua, DR - ST. JOHN'S

• 864 replies

Moose

Re: Orlando Sanchez - PF - Monroe CC - Nagua, DR - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #820 on: January 24, 2013, 12:36:46 PM »
http://www.rumbleinthegarden.com/st-johns-red-storm-mens-basketball/2013/1/24/3903900/orlando-sanchez-ineligible-age-spain-hellin

Really amazing people are just picking up on this stuff now.

Googled this at the beginning of the year and its not hard to find.

What's even more amazing is that our mainstream beat writers don't take the time or effort to do the same.  And if they do it's equally sad that it goes unreported.

Agreed.  But also we know they don't ever ask the hard charging questions.  Bunch of creampuff writers
Remember who broke the Slice news

desco80

« Reply #821 on: January 24, 2013, 12:45:10 PM »
http://www.rumbleinthegarden.com/st-johns-red-storm-mens-basketball/2013/1/24/3903900/orlando-sanchez-ineligible-age-spain-hellin

What's even more amazing is that our mainstream beat writers don't take the time or effort to do the same.  And if they do it's equally sad that it goes unreported.

Agreed.  But also we know they don't ever ask the hard charging questions.  Bunch of creampuff writers

Can't bite the hand that feeds you.   

I'm not saying it's right, but if they are too critical of the program then they don't get access or those personal interest stories... like D'angelo visiting his brother in jail, the piece about Jones's challenges this year, etc etc.   They have half their columns written for them, because the staff and athletic department give them these puff piece profiles. 

Moose

« Reply #822 on: January 24, 2013, 12:52:41 PM »

I'm not saying it's right, but if they are too critical of the program then they don't get access or those personal interest stories... like D'angelo visiting his brother in jail, the piece about Jones's challenges this year, etc etc.   They have half their columns written for them, because the staff and athletic department give them these puff piece profiles. 

How is that any different from the media who hounds professional team managers.  Is it because Lavin is coaching a college team?  I'm sure if I looked into more rabid markets like Alabama media and Saban or Kentucky and Calipari they ask hard charging questions.

« Reply #823 on: January 24, 2013, 12:53:25 PM »

But doing an article with information that can be pretty easily found with a Google search isn't "critical of the program."  There's nothing really critical about the program in this article, all it does is shed possible new light on what's behind this case.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

paultzman

« Reply #824 on: January 24, 2013, 12:56:45 PM »
Assume staff did due diligence and "googled" info referenced about OS play in Spain. Just saying!

Moose

« Reply #825 on: January 24, 2013, 12:57:51 PM »
Assume staff did due diligence and "googled" info referenced about OS play in Spain. Just saying!

Sorry but I can't help but wonder the opposite.

paultzman

« Reply #826 on: January 24, 2013, 01:00:56 PM »

Was being sarcastic. Wondering as well.

Moose

« Reply #827 on: January 24, 2013, 01:03:52 PM »

Gotta work on that sarcasm bud ;)

desco80

« Reply #828 on: January 24, 2013, 01:06:16 PM »

Yea, I gotta wonder as well.   I'm not saying they didn't.   
But maybe there was a reason more teams were not pursuing Orlando.   It's not like he was an unknown.   Calipari was his coach on the Dominican National team. 

paultzman

« Reply #829 on: January 24, 2013, 01:06:26 PM »

Think I know a tutor.

Moose

« Reply #830 on: January 24, 2013, 01:08:09 PM »

Think I know a tutor.

You're doomed.

« Reply #831 on: January 24, 2013, 01:08:41 PM »

It's been known but not something I thought deserved more attention.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Moose

« Reply #832 on: January 24, 2013, 01:10:12 PM »

It's been known but not something I thought deserved more attention.

Agreed.  But I'm surprised nobody in the media picked up on it sooner.  I wouldnt wave a flag showing he played there and brought on unwanted attention but its not exactly like top secret.  I remember looking myself early in the year to see what I came up with and took me 5 minutes tops.  Sure if I had sources I could have dug deeper but I don't and therefore didnt.

Poison

« Reply #833 on: January 24, 2013, 07:58:32 PM »
If Sanchez isn't eligible to play, why is he still with us?

« Reply #834 on: January 24, 2013, 08:05:03 PM »
In fairness to Lenn he googled the name sanchez and spain but got overwhelmed with the results and gave up. If Orlando played in a league in China I think Lenn might have been on top of the story
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 08:06:20 PM by mjmaherjr »

« Reply #835 on: January 24, 2013, 08:30:51 PM »
Do you think Dave would have gotten the the inside info about Dom being team leader if he had run with the Orlando news? (Insert "sarcasm" smiley here)

« Reply #836 on: January 24, 2013, 08:44:05 PM »

Why not?  Initially it was because he hoped an appeal may overturn his initial decision. That takes awhile.

But at this point if he is allowed to stay on schollie and he wants to keep going to class and it is not like SJU is going to use the schollie on someone else mid-season who does it hurt?

Keep in mind this is not an academic issue where he goes back to a prep school or JUCO to gain eligibility.  If he was deemed to have compromised his amateur status then it doesn't matter what school he goes to at this point.

crgreen

« Reply #837 on: January 24, 2013, 08:49:52 PM »

Why not?  Initially it was because he hoped an appeal may overturn his initial decision. That takes awhile.

But at this point if he is allowed to stay on schollie and he wants to keep going to class and it is not like SJU is going to use the schollie on someone else mid-season who does it hurt?

Keep in mind this is not an academic issue where he goes back to a prep school or JUCO to gain eligibility.  If he was deemed to have compromised his amateur status then it doesn't matter what school he goes to at this point.

Think the question is, how can he still BE on schollie if the NCAA has (as the story indicated) ruled him ineligible?  Schollies can't be funded for ineligible players.   Still here only makes sense if there HASN'T been a declaration of ineligibility, and an ongoing investigation.    And no, an appeal does NOT allow the scholie to be funded.   We know this well from Lavin's experidence with McD AA Evan Burns in 2002, and our 3 frosh last year....
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 08:52:50 PM by crgreen »

« Reply #838 on: January 24, 2013, 08:57:45 PM »

Think the question is, how can he still BE on schollie if the NCAA has (as the story indicated) ruled him ineligible?  Schollies can't be funded for ineligible players.   Still here only makes sense if there HASN'T been a declaration of ineligibility, and an ongoing investigation.    And no, an appeal does NOT allow the scholie to be funded.   We know this well from Lavin's experidence with McD AA Evan Burns in 2002, and our 3 frosh last year....

I don't think that is 100% true.  When Glover was going thru his ordeal at SHU where he was deemed ineligible and SHU appealed he was allowed to stay on scholarship and even practice.  Again I believe you need an NCAA waiver for this.

I think Enes Kanter was allowed to stay on schollie at UK.

Poison

« Reply #839 on: January 24, 2013, 09:03:02 PM »

If he cares about his academics enough to partake in them, more power to him. I assumed he'd take off once it was set in stone that he isn't suiting up. My point was to suggest that maybe this isn't over yet.