Couldnt of called this any better

• 49 replies

Moose

Re: Couldnt of called this any better
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2014, 12:46:46 PM »
For all those saying we may have advanced in the NCAA T if DJ didn't get hurt-we would have lost if we had 5 DJs. Gonzaga's big front line pounded the crap out of us and blew us out. We had pretty good depth with our mid sized guys-would have needed Bill Walton or Lew Alcindor just to have been competitive that night, the whole team came up small.
We wouldn't have been playing against Gonzaga 1st round if DJ wasn't hurt

Not to mention we throttled the National Champion Huskies, Duke, 'Nova, and beat Pitt among other quality wins that year with DJ in the lineup. He arguably was our best player, all around that is. Leading rebounder. So saying we had absolutely no shot is just a really dumb thing to say.

DJ isn't hurt and we beat Cuse in BE tournament as well. 
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2014, 01:25:22 PM »
Perhaps if he goes to a place like St. Johns he will be able to bring in one or two good recruiting classes like he was able to do in his first two years in Westwood taking advantage of the cache Jim Harrick rebuilt in Westwood. Yet sooner or later he will get exposed as a complete fraud. We have gone over in details about Lavin not just being the wost head coach in the history of UCLA basketball, but also being nothing short of a sleazebag. We can also go on about how in addition being completely incompetent he was also a classless and lazy SOB.

Here is what Bruins Nation had to say before St John's hired Lavin and they couldn't have predicted this any better.  Read what they wrote and then think to yourself and I mean I couldn't describe the guy any better.  We all got totally duped but it just goes to show how desperate we were for anything positive to happen around here that we all just looked the other way and talked about his positives.  I didn't follow UCLA basketball to know that all the good players had come in his early years and then stopped going to UCLA.  This guy is lower than Jarvis on my totem pole and I thought that was going to be impossible to achieve.

He really needs to go I feel dirty following him and this program he is such a total sleaze ball I cannot even read his quotes anymore taking about how they have made huge strides since the Georgetown game.  He never stops and wont till the media calls him out on this but like we said nobody really gives a s..t around here what St John's does.

His recruiting has totally fallen off since he had to resume his coaching duties. He wants to be a college gm (which doesn't exist) and live the high life. Good ol Stevie had us all fooled and is still piling up the crap every time he opens his mouth.
I was on to Lavin from day one but he always had an undeserved following that made it dangerous to criticize him.  Cat's out of the bag now so there's no need to beat the horse any further.  Sticking to current stuff I really have to take exception to his latest BS story. I sat third row center for Dartmouth and happened to compare Jones' height  to the rest of out so called front court.  The three inches Lavin is dreaming about was nowhere to be seen. I wish he would just tell the truth every now and then but I guess that's too much to ask.   

What are you referring to with the 3 inches?
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2014, 02:13:44 PM »
Perhaps if he goes to a place like St. Johns he will be able to bring in one or two good recruiting classes like he was able to do in his first two years in Westwood taking advantage of the cache Jim Harrick rebuilt in Westwood. Yet sooner or later he will get exposed as a complete fraud. We have gone over in details about Lavin not just being the wost head coach in the history of UCLA basketball, but also being nothing short of a sleazebag. We can also go on about how in addition being completely incompetent he was also a classless and lazy SOB.

Here is what Bruins Nation had to say before St John's hired Lavin and they couldn't have predicted this any better.  Read what they wrote and then think to yourself and I mean I couldn't describe the guy any better.  We all got totally duped but it just goes to show how desperate we were for anything positive to happen around here that we all just looked the other way and talked about his positives.  I didn't follow UCLA basketball to know that all the good players had come in his early years and then stopped going to UCLA.  This guy is lower than Jarvis on my totem pole and I thought that was going to be impossible to achieve.

He really needs to go I feel dirty following him and this program he is such a total sleaze ball I cannot even read his quotes anymore taking about how they have made huge strides since the Georgetown game.  He never stops and wont till the media calls him out on this but like we said nobody really gives a s..t around here what St John's does.

His recruiting has totally fallen off since he had to resume his coaching duties. He wants to be a college gm (which doesn't exist) and live the high life. Good ol Stevie had us all fooled and is still piling up the crap every time he opens his mouth.
I was on to Lavin from day one but he always had an undeserved following that made it dangerous to criticize him.  Cat's out of the bag now so there's no need to beat the horse any further.  Sticking to current stuff I really have to take exception to his latest BS story. I sat third row center for Dartmouth and happened to compare Jones' height  to the rest of out so called front court.  The three inches Lavin is dreaming about was nowhere to be seen. I wish he would just tell the truth every now and then but I guess that's too much to ask.   

Bobre, the Christian Jones 3 inch growth post was a "funny" made up quote by a poster.  Lavin didn't really say it.  I know it is becoming ever more difficult to separate fact from "made up shit" on these boards, but one has to read carefully.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 02:16:12 PM by simplyred »

CC

« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2014, 02:16:56 PM »

Waiting for Fun to handle this one

« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2014, 02:19:47 PM »
I concur.  With what on the crazy topic I have no idea.  This makes my posts look serious....

Foad

« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2014, 04:02:58 PM »

I only handle the big ones.

« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2014, 04:18:18 PM »

I only handle the big ones.

Well done, as always!

« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2014, 09:35:03 PM »

Bobre i recall that reference to 3 inch growth but  think it was sarcastic comment made by a poster...unless my recollection or interpretation is wrong

« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2014, 11:29:53 AM »

Bobre i recall that reference to 3 inch growth but  think it was sarcastic comment made by a poster...unless my recollection or interpretation is wrong

Fooled me.  I don't wade through all the crap like I used to.  Anyway, Jones is no taller than Pointer and certainly isn't the answer for next year's front court.  Actually Lavin's performance was totally predictable from day one.  I cut back on posting simply because there was very little positive to say.  At least Norm left an NCAA squad behind.  I shudder to think what Steve will leave when he finally flies the coop.  I'm sure we'll still be reading accolades about his wonderful recruiting when the cupboard turns up bare for the next guy.  College hoops is built on hope and there's not a molecule of it attached to our program.  Very depressing and a total waste of Koolaid all around. 

LJSA

« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2014, 10:23:17 PM »
At least Norm left an NCAA squad behind.  I shudder to think what Steve will leave when he finally flies the coop.

If the school actually pulled the trigger after this season, and did it early enough, the next coach would be getting an NCAA team. And one with more physical ability than Norm's last team. (But certainly not mental ability at this juncture.) I have no doubt that you and I will differ on who the next coach should be, but I don't think the cupboard is anywhere near bare if the timing is handled correctly.

Tiznow

« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2014, 10:35:40 PM »
I thought it was a one and done NIT team that Lavin inherited.

cjfish

« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2014, 11:07:21 PM »
There is a lot of hate and anger going around for this guy why don't get. Mad/ disappointed/ frustrated so far I understand. Saying this is worse then the Roberts and Jarvis years I do not get...

Jarvis brought NCAA sanctions and a vacated NIT championship whic is embarrassing. Lavin can do worse by getting CBI championship vacated.

Roberts brought only 2 tournament appearance in his 5th and 6th year in the CBI and NIT, which SJU loss in the first round both times.

Lavin has made the NCAA once and if DJ wasn't hurt we may have done some damage and has raised te profile of the school...to call him worse then Jarvis an Roberts is over the top...

Hey Guys,  Im tired of hearing all the Roberts critiques.  Jarvis brought the program to it's knees, not Roberts.  Lets not forget Roberts was put in a virtually untenable position by the sanctions and scandal.  He ran a clean program, developed his 2nd rate players reasonably well and left a group of players he developed for Lavin (or should I say Dunlap) to take to the torney.      If only Lavin could teach the way Roberts did.

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2014, 12:10:36 PM »
There is a lot of hate and anger going around for this guy why don't get. Mad/ disappointed/ frustrated so far I understand. Saying this is worse then the Roberts and Jarvis years I do not get...

Jarvis brought NCAA sanctions and a vacated NIT championship whic is embarrassing. Lavin can do worse by getting CBI championship vacated.

Roberts brought only 2 tournament appearance in his 5th and 6th year in the CBI and NIT, which SJU loss in the first round both times.

Lavin has made the NCAA once and if DJ wasn't hurt we may have done some damage and has raised te profile of the school...to call him worse then Jarvis an Roberts is over the top...

Hey Guys,  Im tired of hearing all the Roberts critiques.  Jarvis brought the program to it's knees, not Roberts.  Lets not forget Roberts was put in a virtually untenable position by the sanctions and scandal.  He ran a clean program, developed his 2nd rate players reasonably well and left a group of players he developed for Lavin (or should I say Dunlap) to take to the torney.      If only Lavin could teach the way Roberts did.

I was just trying to put things in perspective, and not trying to rip Roberts for the sake of ripping him. He had 6yrs, yes in a terrible situation, but a situation to make the program his own. The situation remindede of President Clinton talking on the tonight show that he wished he was in President Obama's show when he was first elected because there is a lot of potential to do good things because of the state of the country at that time...

My point was that we are ready to fire Lavin mid way through a bad season (so far) and call him a coach worse then Roberts and Jarvis. I just don't see that yet. The fact is that the team Lavin inherited was thought to be a lovable bunch guys with big heart that were just not talented enough...Lavin was the coach so he deserves the victories despite who the asst coach was...with these current struggles can we now blame the asst coaches and not Lavin? In essence it is not Lavin's fault it is the asst coaches fault for this season this far...Sounds silly to me.
Cougar O' Malley

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2014, 12:13:09 PM »
For the record, I consider Jarvis to be the worst SJU coach ever and a cancer to the program...At the time I thought it was agreat hire so I do not blame Father Harrington for the hire. If Jarvis only left for the NBA, SJU would have been a program that coaches would be excite to come to...it is was it is.
Cougar O' Malley

pmg911

« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2014, 12:24:31 PM »

#1. Fr. Harrington brought the program to its knees. If he had either fired Jarvis when he first wanted to or if he had not taken the never done before step of firing a Big East basketball coach in mid-season there would have never been a scandal at SJU.

#2. Roberts developed NOBODY and proved to be a terrible recruiter, he just couldn't close on kids and get them to come play for him. Coach Dunlap was the person that took the scrap heap Lavin in hearted and got every thing they could out of them. Do you remember the difference between Sean Evans under Roberts the Lavin/Dunlap - that is development.

boo3

« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2014, 12:27:34 PM »

#1. Fr. Harrington brought the program to its knees. If he had either fired Jarvis when he first wanted to or if he had not taken the never done before step of firing a Big East basketball coach in mid-season there would have never been a scandal at SJU.

#2. Roberts developed NOBODY and proved to be a terrible recruiter, he just couldn't close on kids and get them to come play for him. Coach Dunlap was the person that took the scrap heap Lavin in hearted and got every thing they could out of them. Do you remember the difference between Sean Evans under Roberts the Lavin/Dunlap - that is development.

Careful PMG, the Lavin haters will get on you for giving GTAPL 1/2 a development credit there.   

« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2014, 01:09:24 PM »

Careful PMG, the Lavin haters will get on you for giving GTAPL 1/2 a development credit there.   

Boo, arent you getting close to lavin hater territory?
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

boo3

« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2014, 01:16:23 PM »

Boo, arent you getting close to lavin hater territory?

Depends who you ask...I just post and call it how I see it.. Game to game... Sometimes he's dreadful, sometimes he deserves credit (like SH)... Why woulld I put myself in one camp or another?  Do I have to?  Is it us against them?

I'm not directing this at you either Mase..  I get PMs from people asking how could I possible defend him on one hand and then say I'm getting tired of program on the other.  Do you have to be one or the other all the time?   

Probably my biggest pet peeve about this place.. Good, fun basketball analysis gets thrown out the window because of agendas and feeling the need to defend or tear down...  Not necessary...

I like the coach when he does well, and I don';t when he messes up... like 90% of the rational sports fans in the world..

« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2014, 01:21:34 PM »

Sean Evans averaged 10 points and 7 rebounds his sophomore year with a .514 FG%. He averaged 3.6 points and 2.3 rebounds per game his senior year with a .494 FG%. 

« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2014, 01:24:33 PM »

Roberts ran a clean program and recruited some willing kids...nice guy who I rooted for and hoped for better results...but in no way was he a good coach, nor did he develop anyone...keep in mind, he came in with the rep as the "hot" assistant and a top notch recruiter

He was inexplicably given an extension prior to season's end despite continued poor on court and recruiting results.. He committed to Lawrence, one of the most limited starting players SJ has ever had and had Hardy and Brownlee on the bench during their junior year despite being 2 of the best 3 players on the team...his tenure lasted longer than it should have and let's not forget that he was not given a chance to coach his seniors because he had no recruits coming in and was "in" with no one...

you can criticize Lavin on his merits but trying to elevate Roberts in the process is ridiculous...had his chance...given ample time and didn't get it done
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 01:26:06 PM by section3 »