Ricardo Gathers - PF - Riverside Academy - Reserve, LA - BAYLOR

• 1016 replies

desco80

Re: Ricardo Gathers - PF - Riverside Academy - Reserve, LA - BAYLOR
« Reply #960 on: April 09, 2012, 11:46:54 PM »
I think you guys are going a little overboard.  Right now we're talking about phone calls and text messages.  The kid changed his mind...no reason to trash him.  Maybe his family wanted him closer to home?

+1
Recruiting "violations" doesn't mean pay-for-play.   Too often schools that lose out on a recruit jump to that conclusion.   PC fans swear that's what happened with Jakaar.   
Drew may be dirty.  But illegal calls, and even rg brother being an ass, don't mean there was an exchange of $.

crgreen

« Reply #961 on: April 10, 2012, 05:17:13 AM »
I think you guys are going a little overboard.  Right now we're talking about phone calls and text messages.  The kid changed his mind...no reason to trash him.  Maybe his family wanted him closer to home?

+1
Recruiting "violations" doesn't mean pay-for-play.   Too often schools that lose out on a recruit jump to that conclusion.   PC fans swear that's what happened with Jakaar.   
Drew may be dirty.  But illegal calls, and even rg brother being an ass, don't mean there was an exchange of $.

True, but isn't this what pretty much put Kelvin Sampson out of college coaching, and truly scrod IU for like 3 or 4 seasons?  Crean's just NOW getting THEM back on track. 

But you't think if there's ANY school that couldn't risk another "institutional lack of control" indictment, it's Baylor.   Even if it is "just" 1200 illegal contacts.   You'd think the AD would be in just as much crap as the coaching staffs.  How do you take your eye off the ball after what Bliss got caught doing??????

Gumby

« Reply #962 on: April 10, 2012, 09:02:36 AM »

+1

True, but isn't this what pretty much put Kelvin Sampson out of college coaching, and truly scrod IU for like 3 or 4 seasons?  Crean's just NOW getting THEM back on track. 

But you't think if there's ANY school that couldn't risk another "institutional lack of control" indictment, it's Baylor.   Even if it is "just" 1200 illegal contacts.   You'd think the AD would be in just as much crap as the coaching staffs.  How do you take your eye off the ball after what Bliss got caught doing??????

CR, you bring up a good point, the responsiblity of the AD.  An AD is like any executive for a company.  One of the key duties of an AD is to recruit top people and in particular head coaches.  In many ways ADs are a reflection of who they hire.  If you hire slime or incompetent HCs, you probably will pay for it with the loss of your job and embarrassment for your school.  You would have thought Baylor would have gone with a squeeky clean program similar to what we did  several years ago, but without hiring Coach Roberts.  Sorry, Coach!

It will be interesting how this all plays out in the next few months, especially with the Baylor BB Ladies winning the gold last week.  The NCAA cannot be too happy about this investigation.

Bayou Bull, you might want to reconsider which program you want to play for next season.  There is no shortage of clean programs that would welcome you, but you would really look good in red.

desco80

« Reply #963 on: April 10, 2012, 09:38:30 AM »

+1

I do agree.  You would think their AD would be focused on keeping the program off the NCAA's radar as much as possible.     But I guess a little success can change that in a hurry.   

wpc77

« Reply #964 on: April 10, 2012, 11:47:47 AM »
Drew is dirty as hell.  This is just the start.

pmg911

« Reply #965 on: April 10, 2012, 11:59:43 AM »
Drew is dirty as hell.  This is just the start

+1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9.............

desco80

« Reply #966 on: April 10, 2012, 12:38:44 PM »

I'm sure he is.  But I feel like the NCAA looks the other way, and doesn't want to know about more serious violations.
They go after Drew for text messaging recruits during no-contact periods.   Or ban Bruce Pearl for having kids over for a bbq. 

For once I'd like to see the NCAA really go after the meat of allegations.   Stop acting like your tough on violators, when you don't investigate the real questions.   

« Reply #967 on: April 10, 2012, 12:41:53 PM »

I'm sure he is.  But I feel like the NCAA looks the other way, and doesn't want to know about more serious violations.
They go after Drew for text messaging recruits during no-contact periods.   Or ban Bruce Pearl for having kids over for a bbq. 

For once I'd like to see the NCAA really go after the meat of allegations.   Stop acting like your tough on violators, when you don't investigate the real questions.   

txt msgs and phone calls is the easiet thing to prove since they is a paper trail.

A lot harder to prove the rest.

Just sayin....
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

desco80

« Reply #968 on: April 10, 2012, 01:01:26 PM »

txt msgs and phone calls is the easiet thing to prove since they is a paper trail.

A lot harder to prove the rest.

Just sayin....

Very good point.  Easy case to make.   Harder to look at people's bank accounts and what not.
But if it's happening to Cam Newton and Reggie Bush... you know it's going on in b-ball as well. 

paultzman

« Reply #969 on: April 10, 2012, 01:04:41 PM »
 ::) Great peyote access also a Baylor asset.

« Reply #970 on: April 10, 2012, 01:33:34 PM »
A simple trip to the team parking lots would be revealing.  It worked on Barkley even though it was a used SUV.  The boys at Cuse always crashed new ones but nobody asked about it.  Who's kidding who.  Virtually all top recruits are bought and nobody is stupid enough to put that cash in a bank account.

Moose

« Reply #971 on: April 10, 2012, 01:41:13 PM »
A simple trip to the team parking lots would be revealing.  It worked on Barkley even though it was a used SUV.  The boys at Cuse always crashed new ones but nobody asked about it.  Who's kidding who.  Virtually all top recruits are bought and nobody is stupid enough to put that cash in a bank account.

Why don't you call up the NCAA and give them directions next?

SMH
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #972 on: April 10, 2012, 03:39:57 PM »
Let's stop repeating false claims. Barkley traded cars with a third party, they were of equal value, that was proven by valuations of each car, and the NCAA investigation on that issue was dropped with no penalties assessed. SJU runs a clean program and always has.

« Reply #973 on: April 10, 2012, 03:44:36 PM »
Pardon me--except for Jarvis.

Dan

« Reply #974 on: April 10, 2012, 08:03:32 PM »
Surprise, surprise.  It was always weird to me that he went to Baylor.  Obviously can't prove anything more than improper phone calls and texts, but that's enough to infer that perhaps Lavin, with an even playing field, could have reeled Gathers back in, but he didn't illegally text/call players.

« Reply #975 on: April 10, 2012, 08:08:46 PM »
Wonder how fast he'll break his verbal with Quincy Miller deciding to come back next year.

« Reply #976 on: April 10, 2012, 08:37:07 PM »
Will be interesting to see how Rico feels when Quincy Miller doesn't declare for the draft like he was expected to

Tried to tell you guys...
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #977 on: April 10, 2012, 08:46:04 PM »
Is the ink dry yet?

More like,is the check cashed?
check cashed?  Perfect Roots song for that - Drew's motto - "Don't Say Nuthin'"

"Give it here, and don't say nuthin
[/size]Just give it here, and don't say nuthin[/color]
.....Cut the check
Give it here, and don't say nuthin"

« Reply #978 on: April 10, 2012, 08:48:12 PM »
This is just the tip of the iceberg...assuming the NCAA really wants to find more.

NCAA has no love for Baylor.
Is some of the 2A higher ups are Democrats, do not be surprised to hear allegations of a politically motivated bashing of Baylor due to Kenneth Starr.  I would not be surprised if it goes down like that.

« Reply #979 on: April 10, 2012, 10:45:13 PM »
Gathers sounds pretty supportive of the move....

@qmillertime all i know is one year with your boy and you'll go out with a bang. Whatever you wanna accomplish i'm coming to help ya bro.