Ricardo Gathers - PF - Riverside Academy - Reserve, LA - BAYLOR

• 1016 replies
Re: Ricardo Gathers - PF - Riverside Academy - Reserve, LA
« Reply #600 on: December 20, 2011, 01:22:03 PM »
Per Dave Telep....  Ricardo gathers thoughts at City of Palms

Not that he didn’t pick a big time enough school the first time around, but there’s something different with Ricardo Gathers (LaPlace, La./Reserve Christian) as he approaches his next decision. The former St. John’s commitment who has played his way into the elite, wants to play on the biggest stage.

“Now, I’m thinking outside the box,” Gathers said. “Now I’m looking ahead. I’m trying to go big now with [programs like Duke, Georgetown, Kentucky].” Make no mistake about it, Gathers is an elite recruit and you’d expect his final list of schools to reflect that. Now, Duke, Baylor and Florida should consider themselves in the mix; in addition to the Red Storm.

For the programs that are recruiting Gathers, many are finding out that talking to him isn’t easy. This time around his brother is handling most of the conversations while he focuses on his season. “I really haven’t spoke to many schools since the decommitment.” Gathers talked to Scott Drew and he’s spoken with Billy Donovan but has yet to converse with Mike Krzyzewski.

The bold quote is pretty much what I've thought.  I, truly hope we land him again, but I wouldn't bank on it.

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/dave-telep/post?id=621&_slug_=ricardo-gathers-his-thoughts-at-city-of-palms&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fblog%2fdave-telep%2fpost%3fid%3d621%26_slug_%3dricardo-gathers-his-thoughts-at-city-of-palms

Moose

« Reply #601 on: December 20, 2011, 01:30:39 PM »

Not that he didn’t pick a big time enough school the first time around, but there’s something different with Ricardo Gathers (LaPlace, La./Reserve Christian) as he approaches his next decision. The former St. John’s commitment who has played his way into the elite, wants to play on the biggest stage.

“Now, I’m thinking outside the box,” Gathers said. “Now I’m looking ahead. I’m trying to go big now with [programs like Duke, Georgetown, Kentucky].” Make no mistake about it, Gathers is an elite recruit and you’d expect his final list of schools to reflect that. Now, Duke, Baylor and Florida should consider themselves in the mix; in addition to the Red Storm.

For the programs that are recruiting Gathers, many are finding out that talking to him isn’t easy. This time around his brother is handling most of the conversations while he focuses on his season. “I really haven’t spoke to many schools since the decommitment.” Gathers talked to Scott Drew and he’s spoken with Billy Donovan but has yet to converse with Mike Krzyzewski.

The bold quote is pretty much what I've thought.  I, truly hope we land him again, but I wouldn't bank on it.

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/dave-telep/post?id=621&_slug_=ricardo-gathers-his-thoughts-at-city-of-palms&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fblog%2fdave-telep%2fpost%3fid%3d621%26_slug_%3dricardo-gathers-his-thoughts-at-city-of-palms

Prior to this article weren't you pretty confident on Gathers?
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #602 on: December 20, 2011, 01:35:53 PM »

Put it this way, Moose....  I was very confident prior to initially getting his commitment in July.  I was somewhat confident in getting him to recommit.  I'm not as confident now because it seems like his brother is running the show this time around.  Let's say, I'm becoming a bit wary of the situation now. 

« Reply #603 on: December 20, 2011, 01:40:21 PM »

This quote speaks volumes:

“Now, I’m thinking outside the box,” Gathers said. “Now I’m looking ahead. I’m trying to go big now with [programs like Duke, Georgetown, Kentucky].”

doesn't look good for us.

MCNPA

« Reply #604 on: December 20, 2011, 01:59:09 PM »
Georgetown?  Duke and UK I understand.  But Rico has to understand that SJU is building this thing up back to a "big" program once again as well.  Those schools all want to play against SJU at MSG.  We thrashed teams like Duke, Uconn last season.  He has to realize that he'll be competing at the top with a few more pieces here at SJU.  Not too many more talented forward combos out there than Harkless and Gathers IMO.  Lots of promise here.  Gathers can be part of the "big time" future over next few years and earn full-time minutes doing so.

« Reply #605 on: December 20, 2011, 02:00:30 PM »
Georgetown?  Duke and UK I understand.  But Rico has to understand that SJU is building this thing up back to a "big" program once again as well.  Those schools all want to play against SJU at MSG.  We thrashed teams like Duke, Uconn last season.  He has to realize that he'll be competing at the top with a few more pieces here at SJU.  Not too many more talented forward combos out there than Harkless and Gathers IMO.  Lots of promise here.  Gathers can be part of the "big time" future over next few years and earn full-time minutes doing so.

Agree with your entire post, MCN.  I've stated above what I think is transpiring with his recruitment.

MCNPA

« Reply #606 on: December 20, 2011, 02:12:25 PM »

Agree with your entire post, MCN.  I've stated above what I think is transpiring with his recruitment.

Yeah, hard to say.  He had "big" schools recruiting him before too.  Hard to say what is lip service and what isn't.   He isn't talking to these schools right now anyway.  We'll have a chance to see when his season is over.  I still like the fact that he's just concentrating on the season and isn't shopping schools right now.  Once he re-assesses in the spring we should have a better idea.  He just needs to realize that he'll be a bigger deal here than some of these other places.

« Reply #607 on: December 20, 2011, 02:16:02 PM »
we've had enough setbacks this year to knock us out of the box with gathers.  we won't be "big time" for another couple of years, sad to say.

« Reply #608 on: December 20, 2011, 02:21:05 PM »
we've had enough setbacks this year to knock us out of the box with gathers.  we won't be "big time" for another couple of years, sad to say.

IMO, it all depends on who we land in the spring.  If we can garner a solid recruiting class in '12, then I believe we can make noise next season.  Hopefully, Gathers comes back on board and be apart of that particular class for us.

« Reply #609 on: December 20, 2011, 02:22:18 PM »

Yes set backs for this year. We have a very solid foundation with the 6 players we have we add 4 or 5 standouts like Gather, Sampson, Wood and Obekpa and we are at the top of the Big East next year.

« Reply #610 on: December 20, 2011, 02:50:57 PM »

Yeah, hard to say.  He had "big" schools recruiting him before too.  Hard to say what is lip service and what isn't.   He isn't talking to these schools right now anyway.  We'll have a chance to see when his season is over.  I still like the fact that he's just concentrating on the season and isn't shopping schools right now.  Once he re-assesses in the spring we should have a better idea.  He just needs to realize that he'll be a bigger deal here than some of these other places.

I have not doubt that Lavin can sell "big" in many different way: NYC Media Capital of Word; Nationally Televised Games; Big East; MSG; etc.

But at the end of the day, when kids think of big, they don't think about the things i mentioned.  They think of consistent winning, NBA, recent program history, NCAAs, etc.  None of which we can claim right now.  For us it's all about potential, and to be honest, we are a bit of a risk (Lav's health, transfers, uncertainty of BE).

I don't feel good about Gathers anymore :-(

boo3

« Reply #611 on: December 20, 2011, 06:31:03 PM »
Fire Lavin.   ;)

Lets move on.. He's not coming here.

LJSA

« Reply #612 on: December 20, 2011, 06:48:20 PM »
Maybe he heard Stokes will be announcing for us on Thursday and doesn't want to compete for minutes.

uwsfan

« Reply #613 on: December 20, 2011, 06:48:39 PM »
Unfortunately i have to say that i agree with the posters who are no longer confident Gathers will come here.

I think we will be seeing him siting on the end of the bench at Duke or Kentucky next year instead of starting for St johns

« Reply #614 on: December 20, 2011, 07:21:04 PM »
Unfortunately i have to say that i agree with the posters who are no longer confident Gathers will come here.

I think we will be seeing him siting on the end of the bench at Duke or Kentucky next year instead of starting for St johns
Doubt he will be sitting at the end of anyone's bench next season and that would include the NJ Nets.

« Reply #615 on: December 20, 2011, 07:28:21 PM »
What a huge loss if true. We need players ASAP

« Reply #616 on: December 20, 2011, 07:38:18 PM »

This quote speaks volumes:

“Now, I’m thinking outside the box,” Gathers said. “Now I’m looking ahead. I’m trying to go big now with [programs like Duke, Georgetown, Kentucky].”

doesn't look good for us.
Hearing this thinking "outside of the box," it's dripping with irony.  Choosing St. John's is "out of the box."  The rest of the schools are in the box, the perceived sure bet. 

Since he's pretty much gone, judging from this article and the stats regarding decommits, I feel like doing the Timothy Olyphant move to RG in the movie The Girl Next door. Those of you that know the movie will laugh thinking about Olyphant's character Kelly saying, "Yeah. We're definitely outside the box now, huh?"  To which I say, "Box Out!"  :2funny:

« Reply #617 on: December 20, 2011, 11:34:42 PM »
someone posted on twitter that tony chiles was watching Gathers again tonight.

i didn't see chiles at the fordham game and i suspect that he'll likely miss more games as the season progresses.  expect him to be on the road a lot this year.

Moose

« Reply #618 on: December 20, 2011, 11:40:40 PM »

i didn't see chiles at the fordham game and i suspect that he'll likely miss more games as the season progresses.  expect him to be on the road a lot this year.

Was he really not at the Fordham game?
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #619 on: December 21, 2011, 01:58:35 AM »

I was looking for him and didnt see him on the bench.
Was he really not at the Fordham game?
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.