Christopher Obekpa - PF - Our Savior New American - Centereach, NY - ST. JOHN'S

• 1708 replies

NYCoffey

4h 

Jonathan Wasserman ? @NBADraftWass

St. John's freshman Chris Obekpa is blocking 4.5 shots in 23 minutes. Basically a block every 5 min. Pretty outrageous.

crgreen

4h

Jonathan Wasserman ? @NBADraftWass

St. John's freshman Chris Obekpa is blocking 4.5 shots in 23 minutes. Basically a block every 5 min. Pretty outrageous.

If anyone has the time and patience (and access to replays of our games), it would be GREAT if they could compile a stat for us that isn't officially kept.  How many of Obekbpa's blocks end up with POSSESSION for the good-guys?  Most shot blocks either go out of bounds, or are contolled by the offensive team.  Chris's blocks truly go against the norm (seemingly) the majority of the time.   It isn't listed as such in the stats, because a shot-block  with possesion by the defensive team is listed as simply a missed shot  for the offensive team, but in reality it's as much a "forced turnover" as a steal.....

Also curious if the official scorers have been crediting our players with REBOUNDS on those recovered blocks - for every shot attempt there HAS to be a basket or a rebound.  Looking at our "official stats", it appears we're credited with an inordinant number of "team rebounds" Curious if the numbers match up!

Yes, sometimes I get caught up in the esoterica of college hoops  :)

paultzman

“@JournalisTim: Obekpa, Oblockpa - energizing the #STJbb defense #Oblockpa  http://t.co/Uy5ujuLM

4h

Jonathan Wasserman ? @NBADraftWass

If anyone has the time and patience (and access to replays of our games), it would be GREAT if they could compile a stat for us that isn't officially kept.  How many of Obekbpa's blocks end up with POSSESSION for the good-guys?  Most shot blocks either go out of bounds, or are contolled by the offensive team.  Chris's blocks truly go against the norm (seemingly) the majority of the time.   It isn't listed as such in the stats, because a shot-block  with possesion by the defensive team is listed as simply a missed shot  for the offensive team, but in reality it's as much a "forced turnover" as a steal.....

Also curious if the official scorers have been crediting our players with REBOUNDS on those recovered blocks - for every shot attempt there HAS to be a basket or a rebound.  Looking at our "official stats", it appears we're credited with an inordinant number of "team rebounds" Curious if the numbers match up!

Yes, sometimes I get caught up in the esoterica of college hoops  :)

couldn't agree more cr.  nothing irritates me more than somebody swatting the ball into the seats.  totally unnecessary, and a wasted opportunity to get the ball.  and most coaches ignore that.  but obekpa, as well as the other guys on the team, do it right.  they keep the ball in play more times than not, resulting in a turnover.  i have a feeling that that is the result of good coaching.

paultzman

Chris best shot blocker;

“@JeffEisenberg: UNLV's Anthony Bennett emerged as early favorite for freshman of the year Sunday. Which other freshmen have stood out? http://t.co/MwEPrjXJ

Chris best shot blocker;

“@JeffEisenberg: UNLV's Anthony Bennett emerged as early favorite for freshman of the year Sunday. Which other freshmen have stood out? http://t.co/MwEPrjXJ

"Biggest disappointment: Kyle Anderson, G/F, UCLA"

paultzman

A little recognition from ESPN re: players of week.   CO is in bench section.

This week's starting five
The Starters

Mark Lyons (Arizona): The point guard scored the game-winning layup with 7.1 seconds remaining in Arizona's 65-64 victory over No. 5 Florida on Saturday night in Tucson. He drove past Patric Young for the decisive basket, finishing with 14 points and two assists.

Peyton Siva (Louisville): The No. 6 Cardinals were down by 16 points in the first half against Memphis on Saturday. But Siva led the charge in the second half, as the Cardinals scored a critical 87-78 road win against their rivals. Siva finished with 19 points, seven assists, four rebounds and one block.

Rotnei Clarke (Butler): Before Saturday's 88-86 win over Indiana in Indianapolis, Butler had never beaten a No. 1 team. The Bulldogs guard finished with 19 points (7-for-19) and two assists in one of the program's most significant victories.

Kelly Olynyk (Gonzaga): The 7-footer led the Zags to a 68-52 win over Kansas State on Saturday in Seattle. The junior scored 20 points (10-for-13) and grabbed three rebounds, and he did it in just 19 minutes of action.

Doug McDermott (Creighton): The 6-8 forward for the No. 16 Bluejays was a monster in Saturday's 74-64 win at Cal. He scored 34 points and grabbed nine rebounds. He also went 10-for-10 from the free throw line and 4-for-7 from the 3-point line.

The Bench

Anthony Drmic (Boise State): 34 points (6-for-10), one steal and a block in an 89-70 win over LSU on Friday.

Matthew Dellavedova (Saint Mary's): 31 points, six rebounds and eight assists in a 120-67 win over Jackson St. on Tuesday.

Jonathon Williams (Wagner): 33 points, 17 rebounds and three steals in a 77-65 overtime win over Coppin State on Saturday.

Chris Obekpa (St. John's): Four points, seven rebounds, five assists and nine blocks in a 77-60 win over St. Francis (NY) on Saturday.

Brandon Davies (BYU): 33 points, eight rebounds and a block in a 78-68 win at Weber State on Saturday.

CO is the only one there not for his offensive output.  He totally dominates a game on the defensive end.  One guy on St. Francis threw a layup over the backboard trying to avoid the CO block.  He is having a similar impact to Anthony Davis on the defensive end.  If ge develops more on offense and rebounding, he will be a lottery pick next year.

Let's hope all these rookies being sent to the D league keep him in queens for
At least 3 seasons  8)

Problem is they are being paid $1million to learn in the D League vs. being broke in college.

crgreen

CO is the only one there not for his offensive output.  He totally dominates a game on the defensive end.  One guy on St. Francis threw a layup over the backboard trying to avoid the CO block.  He is having a similar impact to Anthony Davis on the defensive end.  If ge develops more on offense and rebounding, he will be a lottery pick next year.

Again, just a reminder that D-1's all time leading shot blocker, 6'9 forward  Jarvis Varnado,  who led the NCAA D-1 in blocks as a Soph, Junior, and Senior at Miss. State, was only a mid-2nd round pick after 4 years of SEC Basketball - and he was a career double digit scorer, with a 59% career FG% - and a double digit rebounder as a senior (8 as a soph, 9 as a jr, 11 as a Sr).    Varnado hasn't made the NBA - he's in the D-Leauge, where he's putting up 14 pts, 9 rebs and 4.4 blocks....

The NBA premium for lotto picks is STILL offensive potential, not defensive.

Hence the caveat in my last sentence.  I thoroughly agree that the offensive game is crucial.  His jumper is a bit better that I expected and, hopefully, will continue to improve.  Better offensive skills in the low post have to be developed.

crgreen

Hence the caveat in my last sentence.  I thoroughly agree that the offensive game is crucial.  His jumper is a bit better that I expected and, hopefully, will continue to improve.  Better offensive skills in the low post have to be developed.

Of course, things could change.   The impact Serge Ibaka had (and is having) for Oklahoma City could well translate into a closer look at players like Vanardo (and eventually Obekpa) - these things can be cyclical.   If the league's "flavor of the month" should become agressive shotblockers at the forward spots - especially if someone comes up with a campaign marrying the names IBAKA and OBEKPA - it could get interesting.... :)

paultzman

Jon Rothstein today;

3. I’D PAY TO WATCH CHRIS OBEKPA PLAY

And while St. John’s may be a work in progress this season, they’re never going to be out of a game because of this 6-9 freshman shot blocker. Obekpa has already blocked five or more shots in six separate games this season, and is second in the nation behind Kansas’ Jeff Withey (5.6 BPG) in average shots blocked per game. Obekpa (5.3 BPG), D’Angelo Harrison, and JaKarr Sampson give the Red Storm a triumvirate that can make them competitive in the Big East. The question now is, can they become consistent?

paultzman

Quite an honor for Chris, Freshman of Week!

“@SethDavisHoops: My Fast Break column is up and running. Check to see my Player/Team/Glue Guy/Freshman of the Week & much more. http://t.co/vF6TCu46

paultzman

3. Texas ranks 10th nationally as a team with 69 blocks on the season.  Chris Obekpa from St. John’s has 58 blocks alone.

“@VinParise: My 10 Tidbits for this week: Gophers’ balance, Friars go green and more http://t.co/xvGhCAwl via @cbtonnbc”

paultzman

“@STJ_Legends: Coach Carnesecca on @obekpa12: "He blocks everything but the Lincoln Tunnel. We've never had a guy like him in our history." #stjbb”

paultzman

As lousy as we are playing a positive is in order;

“@STJ_Basketball: Official @ncaastats released this AM. @obekpa12 leads the nation in blocks at 5.33 per game. As a team, #stjbb is No. 1 in America at 9.3!”

As lousy as we are playing a positive is in order;

“@STJ_Basketball: Official @ncaastats released this AM. @obekpa12 leads the nation in blocks at 5.33 per game. As a team, #stjbb is No. 1 in America at 9.3!”

Yaay, how are we doin' when it comes to rebound margin and easy second and third chance putbacks? ???

paultzman

« Last Edit: December 25, 2012, 12:31:13 PM by paultzman »