Christopher Obekpa - PF - Our Savior New American - Centereach, NY - ST. JOHN'S

• 1708 replies

pmg911

Always found it interesting that the NCAA doesn't allow athletes to receive any BENEFITS not available to the general student population at a school, yet they aren't allowed allowed something as basic as the same entrance requirements as those same general population students.  The same HS classes that allow a Poly Sci or Theater Arts major to qualify for admission and full participation at a school may NOT fulfill NCAA requirements at the same school for an athlete.  I UNDERSTAND why the NCAA does it, but that doesn't make it seem any less hypocritical.

I think the average high school student is taking the core classes the NCAA requires if they are going through their natural progression fo high school course work. The problem with lot of the hoops players is that they take courses they they can coast through be eligible to play.

ras

Always found it interesting that the NCAA doesn't allow athletes to receive any BENEFITS not available to the general student population at a school, yet they aren't allowed allowed something as basic as the same entrance requirements as those same general population students.  The same HS classes that allow a Poly Sci or Theater Arts major to qualify for admission and full participation at a school may NOT fulfill NCAA requirements at the same school for an athlete.  I UNDERSTAND why the NCAA does it, but that doesn't make it seem any less hypocritical.

I think the average high school student is taking the core classes the NCAA requires if they are going through their natural progression fo high school course work. The problem with lot of the hoops players is that they take courses they they can coast through be eligible to play.
IMO there is no excuse for the students not taking the proper courses. Their guidance counselers and coaches should be doing their jobs and guiding them properly.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 02:13:21 PM by ras »

pmg911

IMO there is no excuse for the students not taking the proper courses. Their guidance counselers and coaches should be doing their jobs and guiding them properly.

Theirs parent(s) or guardians as well...

Kids today are being aggressively recruited from the day they start high school. If they are remotely serious about their own futures, they should be paying attention to this stuff and asking the questions...

jr49

Why did CO get stuck with this subject matter on his thread? What happened to CO the player?

Moose

Remember who broke the Slice news

Moose

Figured I'd post this here because I have always compared and expected similar results from Obekpa.  This from Chad Ford-

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/blog/_/name/nba_draft/id/8246678/summer-risers-fallers-2013-nba-draft-prospects

Gorgui Dieng, C, Louisville Cardinals
Dieng has improved his body over the summer and is finally coming into his own as the monster defensive presence scouts began to see last season. He is playing with more aggression and physicality. In a draft devoid of big men who are legitimate NBA players, Dieng has a chance to make a major impression this season. If he really takes his game to the next level, he too could end up sneaking into the mid-first round or late lottery.

DFF6

Figured I'd post this here because I have always compared and expected similar results from Obekpa.  This from Chad Ford-

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/blog/_/name/nba_draft/id/8246678/summer-risers-fallers-2013-nba-draft-prospects

Gorgui Dieng, C, Louisville Cardinals
Dieng has improved his body over the summer and is finally coming into his own as the monster defensive presence scouts began to see last season. He is playing with more aggression and physicality. In a draft devoid of big men who are legitimate NBA players, Dieng has a chance to make a major impression this season. If he really takes his game to the next level, he too could end up sneaking into the mid-first round or late lottery.

I also found interesting in the Ford write up how Nerlens Noel has looked lousy in camp.  Definitely not the second coming of A Davis, and probably was overrated in the class rankings, as some on JJ have previously posted.

pmg911

Zagoria just tweeted that Chris Obekpa has been cleared by the NCAA Clearinghouse..!!!

Zagoria just tweeted that Chris Obekpa has been cleared by the NCAA Clearinghouse..!!!

Are we sure he was in Summer School?   :2funny:

BTW-Just to follow up I know everyone is in panic mode because of what happened last year with JaKarr, Amir and Norvel but this really was never that big a deal or much of a question.

crgreen

If the earlier reports were right, the problem was more with OSNA, rather than the individual player.   So I'm assuming this also means no doubts on Balamou as well?

If the earlier reports were right, the problem was more with OSNA, rather than the individual player.   So I'm assuming this also means no doubts on Balamou as well?

The Zags tweet mentions both so yes you are correct.  I can assure you SJU would not have admitted Obekpa or Balamou to Summer School if they thought for one moment they would not be cleared.

Moose

To be technical however, we were playing with fire.  If in fact they were ineligible then because they were already enrolled at STJ they would never get to play for STJ again. 

Goes to show how confident they were in everything being A-OK.

To be technical however, we were playing with fire.  If in fact they were ineligible then because they were already enrolled at STJ they would never get to play for STJ again. 

Oh I think you know Moose that I know the rule better then anyone.  And that was precisely my point. 

Moose

Oh I think you know Moose that I know the rule better then anyone.  And that was precisely my point. 

I was laying it out pretty blunt for the rest of the board.

paultzman

Happy guy!

“@obekpa12: Me and my boy Felix have been academically cleared by the Ncaa eligibility center!”

Does this mean there are still questions?

"The news was confirmed by a source at St. John’s, who expects all of the team’s incoming players to be cleared."