Felix Balamou - SG - Our Savior New American - Centerreach, NY - ST. JOHN'S

• 344 replies
Felix will be our best athlete. And that is really saying something. Opekba looked better in that video from what I saw. Didn't look like the stiffest comp however.

Eh, he might be the best leaper for his position but I would take Dom or Amir over Felix in terms of all-around athleticism.  Felix is a great athlete though. Body control is his best attribute IMO.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

Felix will be our best athlete. And that is really saying something. Opekba looked better in that video from what I saw. Didn't look like the stiffest comp however.

Eh, he might be the best leaper for his position but I would take Dom or Amir over Felix in terms of all-around athleticism.  Felix is a great athlete though. Body control is his best attribute IMO.

Definitely could make a case for all of them, including wood and jakarr. I think Felix is the quickest jumper and has the quickest  first step out of all of them. Those first 2 or 3 dunks were ridiculous
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Marillac

Definitely could make a case for all of them, including wood and jakarr. I think Felix is the quickest jumper and has the quickest  first step out of all of them. Those first 2 or 3 dunks were ridiculous

Yeah, that first dunk was just effortless.  I had to replay it a few times.  The smaller guys have a big advantage when it comes to overall athleticism, but relative to position I think Sampson is the best athlete.  Dom is right there with him..it just comes down to what you are looking at.  Dom can change directions faster and play lower, but Sampson is the most explosive athlete I've seen in a long time. I think there is a pretty healthy gap between those two and Amir--and you guys know I'm a huge fan of Amir.  I remember the announcers going crazy about how athletic our team was two years ago, but the 2012-2013 version blows that team out of the water in that category. 

Chilleb

Gotta check out hs most recent game at is8 on bball diaries. Kid is everything we wished for and more.

MCNPA

Gotta check out hs most recent game at is8 on bball diaries. Kid is everything we wished for and more.

Agree Chilleb.   The more I see of him, the more I like him.  Absolutely elite athlete with great first step and handles with both hands.  Great midrange and his jumper showing to be better than I thought.  A total steal for us.  I think this might be the game you're talking about:

1 | Sports University Elite / Team Izod Vs Team Flight (OSNA) | 2012 IS8 Nike Playoffs Quarterfinals

Marillac

I love that OSNA has been playing a ton of zone every game I've seen them on YouTube.  Balamou has been flashing some really nice offense, but his defense has been consistently terrible.  He has no concept of protecting the baseline or boxing out.  He reaches all the time on defense. He's got great hands, though, and he's pesky enough to rack up boards--but they are by no means because he earned them with his positioning.

The two-handed tomahawk dunk off one step at 2:57 is out of this world.  His hops are incredible.  He plays very low and he's comfortable doing that which bodes well for his defense and impoving his  handle over the next few years.  I could have turned this kid into a helluva defensive back at the college level if he had even had the slightest instinct to hit.  His shot from the top of the key always has great form, but from the the wings he turns into Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz, clicking his feet together and leaning to the middle.  He's got a pure release.

Good to see him against decent comp.  That Brooklyn game was unwatchable.  How any kid in NYC can get to wear a basketball jersey playing like that team did is a disgrace.  Obkepa has some of the worst hands I've seen since Sean Evans.  He also has a very low Bball IQ from what I've seen. 

MCNPA

I love that OSNA has been playing a ton of zone every game I've seen them on YouTube.  Balamou has been flashing some really nice offense, but his defense has been consistently terrible.  He has no concept of protecting the baseline or boxing out.  He reaches all the time on defense. He's got great hands, though, and he's pesky enough to rack up boards--but they are by no means because he earned them with his positioning.

The two-handed tomahawk dunk off one step at 2:57 is out of this world.  His hops are incredible.  He plays very low and he's comfortable doing that which bodes well for his defense and impoving his  handle over the next few years.  I could have turned this kid into a helluva defensive back at the college level if he had even had the slightest instinct to hit.  His shot from the top of the key always has great form, but from the the wings he turns into Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz, clicking his feet together and leaning to the middle.  He's got a pure release.

Good to see him against decent comp.  That Brooklyn game was unwatchable.  How any kid in NYC can get to wear a basketball jersey playing like that team did is a disgrace.  Obkepa has some of the worst hands I've seen since Sean Evans.  He also has a very low Bball IQ from what I've seen.

Balamou was matched with Quentin Decosey for much of the game.  Balamou is every bit the athlete that Decosey is if an inch shorter.  Decosey is a graceful kid who seems to have great upside though.  Great pickup for Temple.  I don't think Balamou is far off though.  Balamou just needs some good coaching, especially in defense and work on his shooting and he can be excellent.  His athleiticism is there and he has a good feel for the game.  Right now, Balamou plays defense like a free safety.  He's great at getting a jump on passing lanes which is what we do a lot.  Dunlap will turn him into an excellent on-ball defender because his current style won't fly in upper level D1 ball.  He certainly has the speed, quickness and athleiticms to navigate our zones and close out on shooters as well as in traps where he can be deadly.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 03:38:41 AM by MCNPA »

Marillac

Balamou was matched with Quentin Decosey for much of the game.  Balamou is every bit the athlete that Decosey is if an inch shorter.  Decosey is a graceful kid who seems to have great upside though.  Great pickup for Temple.  I don't think Balamou is far off though.  Balamou just needs some good coaching, especially in defense and work on his shooting and he can be excellent.  His athleiticism is there and he has a good feel for the game.  Right now, Balamou plays defense like a free safety.  He's great at getting a jump on passing lanes which is what we do a lot.  Dunlap will turn him into an excellent on-ball defender because his current style won't fly in upper level D1 ball.  He certainly has the speed, quickness and athleiticms to navigate our zones and close out on shooters as well as in traps where he can be deadly.

I was impressed with Decosey when I saw him last year, but he did nothing to impress me this game.   Our wings would eat that kid alive. Tariq Carey is a pretty intriguing kid, though.  Poor decision-making in this game, but he's as smoothe as can be when he's not obsessed with leaving the perfect amount of jersey hanging out of his shorts.  I could see him scoring quite a few points next year at a low-major.  Might have been a pretty decent backup at a high major.  He seems like a kid who could prove he can play in spite of his height and then transfer to a bigger school. 

LJSA

Obkepa has some of the worst hands I've seen since Sean Evans.

Bobre in 3 2 1. . .

Happy

Slick jab by Kyle Anderson towards Felix on twitter . In response to Bball diary previewing Felix and Nick Lewis upcoming video . Kyle's response .. " Smh who".

Moose

Slick jab by Kyle Anderson towards Felix on twitter . In response to Bball diary previewing Felix and Nick Lewis upcoming video . Kyle's response .. " Smh who".

Ohhhhh kids that aren't all buddy buddy.  Thats pretty rare.  It feels like some old school good guy bad guy WWF brewing :)
Remember who broke the Slice news

hahaha.  wouldn't pay too much mind.  last year, when D Wood decommitted from us, Amir tweeted something along the line of "no big deal."  i think these kids know it's all fun and games.

Happy

Ohhhhh kids that aren't all buddy buddy.  Thats pretty rare.  It feels like some old school good guy bad guy WWF brewing :)

Hey I'm bored. Trying to stir up some trouble since the Marillac/ Fordham feud has simmered . :)

Moose

Hey I'm bored. Trying to stir up some trouble since the Marillac/ Fordham feud has simmered . :)

If your bored plot out our Rumble schedule :)

DFF6

"Stirring the pot" motivations aside, I find it curious that K Anderson would feel compelled to comment on Felix & co., who are clearly not in his "class".  It's like Coke making fun of Pepsi --historically, no. 1 doesn't pick on no. 2 (or in this case, no. 5 picking on no. 150). 

MCNPA

"Stirring the pot" motivations aside, I find it curious that K Anderson would feel compelled to comment on Felix & co., who are clearly not in his "class".  It's like Coke making fun of Pepsi --historically, no. 1 doesn't pick on no. 2 (or in this case, no. 5 picking on no. 150).

If we beat them again this season, all will smooth itself out... ;)

thetruth8734

• SJU Alum
Which number is Felix? Obekpa?

Felix is 10 on black.
And the Cincy bound center is 12.

Well maybe Cincy bar fighting might change things one can hope.

LOL

Moose

Which number is Felix? Obekpa?

Felix is 10 on black.
And the Cincy bound center is 12.

Well maybe Cincy bar fighting might change things one can hope.

LOL

Hey I still called it :)

He'll know his name when we go into their place and run them out of the gym  :)

*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.