DePaul predictions

• 156 replies

Johnny23

Re: DePaul predictions
« Reply #80 on: January 06, 2018, 04:13:54 PM »
Still a long way for this season, but it's likely we finish worse than last season, and now you have to wonder what the administration will do. 

Here is my idea....  It's highly likely we miss out on the NIT.  If that happens, you have to move on, considering the season's expectations. 

If they do bring him back after missing the NIT, then you force his hand and tell him he has to make changes to his staff.  He'll probably buck like a wild bronco, and resign.

So, you either fire him or force his hand, which I think will make him resign.

No, I disagree. Don't force hand. Forcing it is a reactionary response. Let him evaluate and make his own choices.   Making him resign would be automatically mire the program in mediocrity for another 15 years.  Next year, with talent coming in, we have a real chance.  This year, yes, the bench was thin; but they got hosed by the that one kid transferring to CT, and LoVette getting injured for all these crucial games.   You have those two kids, and the outlook on the season is so much better.

A regime change is not the answer. All the kids coming in next year would leave, and we will suck for another 15 years.
Patience is the answer.  This year is lost.  Just tune it out and focus on baseball.

I disagree. Why would you let him evaluate and make his own choices after the season when clearly that's a large part of the reason why the team is losing?

Mullin is not an experienced X's and O's, in-game coach. Far from it. St. Jean and Richmond are collecting a paycheck. I'm sure St. Jean is a nice young kid but he's not ready for prime time as a big time asst D1 coach. Richmond is just a face to sell the program, adds nothing in the in-game coaching area. Matt's the only guy on the staff you keep because he's a good recruiter. Chris needs a really strong staff under him on the coaching end to turn this thing around. Otherwise all that incoming talent will never realize its potential.

« Reply #81 on: January 06, 2018, 04:15:54 PM »
Are we really saying Matt does nothing? U put these steering 5 guys on most well coached teams and team is no worse than 2-2. Sorry but Matt a not the issue, squarely on Mullin and in game assistants.

ras

« Reply #82 on: January 06, 2018, 04:16:01 PM »
I can’t understand why they didn’t hire Rice. If you add up all the coaching experience on the staff, it doesnt add up to much. I wasn’t a Lavin fan, but his tenure is looking like the golden years.

Marillac

« Reply #83 on: January 06, 2018, 04:17:43 PM »
How can anyone on here say that Mullin deserved another year. What is he doing to warrant that? There is zero improvement, no basketball iq displayed and the team plays street ball. Look at teams who brought in new coaches this year and last. Guys like holy man and wade already making strides in year one. Mullin gets pass last two years but in year 3, we are no better than year one.

He's got one kid that can dribble the basketball!!! What can he do with that sissy Lovett on the bench with a sprained vagina? The staff should have been prepared for it, but this is a mistake that only has to happen once and looks like it won't happen again for a long time. Talk of firing is absurd at this point. Have him bring an experienced coach on board.

« Reply #84 on: January 06, 2018, 04:17:55 PM »
Still a long way for this season, but it's likely we finish worse than last season, and now you have to wonder what the administration will do. 

Here is my idea....  It's highly likely we miss out on the NIT.  If that happens, you have to move on, considering the season's expectations. 

If they do bring him back after missing the NIT, then you force his hand and tell him he has to make changes to his staff.  He'll probably buck like a wild bronco, and resign.

No, I disagree. Don't force hand. Forcing it is a reactionary response. Let him evaluate and make his own choices.   Making him resign would be automatically mire the program in mediocrity for another 15 years.  Next year, with talent coming in, we have a real chance.  This year, yes, the bench was thin; but they got hosed by the that one kid transferring to CT, and LoVette getting injured for all these crucial games.   You have those two kids, and the outlook on the season is so much better.

A regime change is not the answer. All the kids coming in next year would leave, and we will suck for another 15 years.
Patience is the answer.  This year is lost.  Just tune it out and focus on baseball.

I disagree. Why would you let him evaluate and make his own choices after the season when clearly that's a large part of the reason why the team is losing?

Mullin is not an experienced X's and O's, in-game coach. Far from it. St. Jean and Richmond are collecting a paycheck. I'm sure St. Jean is a nice young kid but he's not ready for prime time as a big time asst D1 coach. Richmond is just a face to sell the program, adds nothing in the in-game coaching area. Matt's the only guy on the staff you keep because he's a good recruiter. Chris needs a really strong staff under him on the coaching end to turn this thing around. Otherwise all that incoming talent will never realize its potential.

+1

« Reply #85 on: January 06, 2018, 04:19:12 PM »

MJD I would be shocked if this played out. But you definitely have to ask some questions if you are Goff.

Marillac

« Reply #86 on: January 06, 2018, 04:19:55 PM »
Are we really saying Matt does nothing? U put these steering 5 guys on most well coached teams and team is no worse than 2-2. Sorry but Matt a not the issue, squarely on Mullin and in game assistants.

We have five Big East players dude. We have one kid that can dribble. We had two grad transfers within 10 miles from campus that could have helped big time and he didn't even talk to them.

kjd01067

« Reply #87 on: January 06, 2018, 04:22:21 PM »
How can anyone on here say that Mullin deserved another year. What is he doing to warrant that? There is zero improvement, no basketball iq displayed and the team plays street ball. Look at teams who brought in new coaches this year and last. Guys like holy man and wade already making strides in year one. Mullin gets pass last two years but in year 3, we are no better than year one.

He's got one kid that can dribble the basketball!!! What can he do with that sissy Lovett on the bench with a sprained vagina? The staff should have been prepared for it, but this is a mistake that only has to happen once and looks like it won't happen again for a long time. Talk of firing is absurd at this point. Have him bring an experienced coach on board.

Take it down a couple notches and knock it off with the language. He is a kid.

ras

« Reply #88 on: January 06, 2018, 04:23:57 PM »
We have nice transfers sitting out and some good recruits
 coming in. Have to give Mullin another year and keep Matt. But Mitch or St Jean has to go and we need a Dunlap type coach on the staff. I also think despite Mullins speech after he was hired, he has to be more active in recruiting. Till next year.

« Reply #89 on: January 06, 2018, 04:24:13 PM »

+1

Paultz has already alluded that changes are coming on staff.

« Reply #90 on: January 06, 2018, 04:25:20 PM »

MJD I would be shocked if this played out. But you definitely have to ask some questions if you are Goff.

If we end the season with 3, 4 or 5 conference wins, per this season's expectations, then Goff will have to make a move. 

Again, you force him to make changes or fire him.  There's a possibility Mullin may not like the idea of his hand being forced.  So, what do you do if you're Goff, per the latter?

« Reply #91 on: January 06, 2018, 04:26:10 PM »
Kids leave programs for many reasons. Yes we are short handed and yes that hurts but it’s game 4 of conference and we are losing on hustle plays, rebounding cause guys are out of position and very little offensive movement.  There is talent with those 5 to not get blown out at home in both games. It was evident on the way the team played on road. 

Marillac

« Reply #92 on: January 06, 2018, 04:28:48 PM »

If we end the season with 3, 4 or 5 conference wins, per this season's expectations, then Goff will have to make a move. 

Again, you force him to make changes or fire him.  There's a possibility Mullin may not like the idea of his hand being forced.  So, what do you do if you're Goff, per the latter?

This is crazy talk.

goredmen

« Reply #93 on: January 06, 2018, 04:28:56 PM »
Mullin has some tough decisions to make. He has to get rid of St.Jean and then demote Mitch back to DOBO and if he doesn't accept that get rid of him too.

Every team in the country is allowed to have 4 coaches recruit. We are the only one where 3 of them do absolutely zero recruiting. We also have one true X's and O's guy and he's 26 years old or whatever. This isn't sustainable

« Reply #94 on: January 06, 2018, 04:30:25 PM »
Matt is our most active recruiter and gets us in the new york post. He is the least of our problems

« Reply #95 on: January 06, 2018, 04:30:26 PM »
I can’t understand why they didn’t hire Rice. If you add up all the coaching experience on the staff, it doesnt add up to much. I wasn’t a Lavin fan, but his tenure is looking like the golden years.

It's not they it's he.  This is 100% the HC.  As it should be.  You don't hire a HC so he might get an assistant.

This is all CM.  He owns the staff and the roster.  He feels he can win with this then so be it. 

But he is going to be held accountable soon for this product.

At some point a 8-32 conference record in your first 40 conference games is going to start to open people's eyes unless he starts turning this around quickly.

But they still have to play Xavier,  Villanova, Butler twice...

« Reply #96 on: January 06, 2018, 04:34:04 PM »

This is crazy talk.

So, is most of the stuff you say (whether it's true or fabricated), but that's a subject for another day.

Dude, there is always a chance a coach may not be fond of being told he needs to make changes to his staff.  So, you never know how it may turn out.

« Reply #97 on: January 06, 2018, 04:35:45 PM »
It won't do anything, but I fired off an e-mail to Anton Goff....just feels better to vent to him, than here.

Ponds is lost.... 1-9 from 3 pt today. 

Whole team was lethargic, sloppy, non-team mindset.... it's evident and it's all on Mullin.

Richmond needs to go before St. Jean... At least St. Jean has potential

« Reply #98 on: January 06, 2018, 04:36:34 PM »
They are not firing Chris Mullin

« Reply #99 on: January 06, 2018, 04:36:48 PM »
Mullin has some tough decisions to make. He has to get rid of St.Jean and then demote Mitch back to DOBO and if he doesn't accept that get rid of him too.

Exactly!  That's my point.  He may not be fond of making those moves.  If he doesn't wanna do it and say he won't do it, then you have to send him on his way. 

Nah.....  That's "crazy talk."