Ray Salnave: Monmouth Grad Transfer

• 150 replies

QuanMan

Ray Salnave: Monmouth Grad Transfer
« on: May 06, 2020, 02:42:01 PM »
https://www.zagsblog.com/2020/05/06/monmouth-transfer-ray-salnave-trims-list-to-three/

By ADAM ZAGORIA

Monmouth grad transfer Ray Salnave has trimmed his list to three schools.

The 6-foot-3 former Cardozo High School star is down to DePaul, Loyola Marymount and St. John’s. He averaged 14.5 points, 4.5 rebounds and 3.2 assists last season.

He broke down his three options:

St. John’s – “It would be great to be back home and play in NYC again. Important for my family and loved ones.”

LMU – “Coach [Stan] Johnson seems very promising and he’s made me feel very comfortable. One of the few head coaches that were direct and up front with me about plans.”

DePaul – “They’ve also made me feel really comfortable throughout the process and I think they also can be promising.”
Section 3
Section 116

Poison

Re: Ray Salnave: Monmouth Grad Transfer
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2020, 04:43:39 PM »
https://www.zagsblog.com/2020/05/06/monmouth-transfer-ray-salnave-trims-list-to-three/

By ADAM ZAGORIA

Monmouth grad transfer Ray Salnave has trimmed his list to three schools.

The 6-foot-3 former Cardozo High School star is down to DePaul, Loyola Marymount and St. John’s. He averaged 14.5 points, 4.5 rebounds and 3.2 assists last season.

He broke down his three options:

St. John’s – “It would be great to be back home and play in NYC again. Important for my family and loved ones.”

LMU – “Coach [Stan] Johnson seems very promising and he’s made me feel very comfortable. One of the few head coaches that were direct and up front with me about plans.”

DePaul – “They’ve also made me feel really comfortable throughout the process and I think they also can be promising.”

How good is he? If this is a replacement for LJ, I think it’s a reach. He was a quality MAAC player, but not a star player. Shot well from 3, but under 40% from the floor. The BE won’t it easier to raise that percentage.

I guess it depends on how they use him. Does he fill the role that Marco Bourgault and Max Hooper were supposed to fill in 15-18 minutes a game?

QuanMan

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2020, 07:02:20 PM »
From what I recall our recruitment of him was limited in 2016.

Outsider's guess is he's swapping in for McGriff, with all due respect to the young man- give me a senior with above average stats across all columns over a undersized McGriff. He'll bring wins.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2020, 07:07:15 PM by QuanMan »
Section 3
Section 116

Poison

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2020, 09:12:23 PM »
From what I recall our recruitment of him was limited in 2016.

Outsider's guess is he's swapping in for McGriff, with all due respect to the young man- give me a senior with above average stats across all columns over a undersized McGriff. He'll bring wins.

Hopefully, but I’m concerned about his turnovers and cold shooting games.

Do you know if he’s a point guard in the BE? If so, McGriff may be on the way out. If he’s not a point guard, I’d rather keep McGriff.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 02:40:27 PM by Poison »

Johnny23

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2020, 09:46:49 PM »
McGriff is the biggest punching bag recruit on here without ever playing a game. Tough wrap.

Marillac

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2020, 12:03:56 AM »
He’s better than Rutherford but his stats don’t say PG.

I don’t know what he adds over Dunn and Williams. We’re all set on 6’3 and under guards.

Perez is the guy to add if it’s not too late.

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2020, 12:35:20 PM »
He’s better than Rutherford but his stats don’t say PG.

I don’t know what he adds over Dunn and Williams. We’re all set on 6’3 and under guards.

Perez is the guy to add if it’s not too late.

I agree. I thought Perez was the better fit too. Unfortunately, it's too late.

https://twitter.com/showout_zayy15/status/1256969768155914243?s=20

Poison

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2020, 03:23:36 PM »
If Salnave comes, and McGriff leaves, we’d be entering the season with Posh Alexander as our point guard, and Rasheem Dunn as our back up point guard/two guard.

If Posh gets hurt, or even if he gets into foul trouble, which freshman are known to do, that makes Dunn our primary, and only point guard.

Maybe Dunn will have matured to the point where he can, but I think learning a new position, especially one as complicated as the point, will be asking too much.

I’d prefer if McGriff stays, and our point guard depth is...

Posh - McGriff - Dunn - and then whoever has the best handle out of the remaining players. If LJ stays, its probably him.

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2020, 08:53:35 PM »
Loyola Marymount hasn't been good since they had Hank Gathers and Bo Kimble and Depaul is the only BE program even more pathetic than us.

We should be a lock.

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2020, 11:51:04 PM »
But Depaul offers more PT against similar competition . Where do y'all see minutes for him? Guard spots are kind of tight. And I know a lot of people want McGriff gone but last time I check we don't have any commits for 2021. And ST.johns is in the epicenter I don't foresee a lot of visits next year.
Attack basketball, pressure defense, 40 minutes of hell ... Early on it might be 30 minutes of hell, then 10 minutes of what the hell are you doing?"

Johnny23

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2020, 07:36:59 AM »
Some of you are so preconditioned to the revolving door shit here it's very bizarre. Be happy with the roster we have for next year. It's the deepest, most complete one we've had in forever.

We need true PG's. That is what McGriff is. I hope he stays because you need quality floor generals. This kid Salnave like the other kid Perez are not point guards. We have enough 2 guards on the team.

Poison

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2020, 09:41:18 AM »
Some of you are so preconditioned to the revolving door shit here it's very bizarre. Be happy with the roster we have for next year. It's the deepest, most complete one we've had in forever.

We need true PG's. That is what McGriff is. I hope he stays because you need quality floor generals. This kid Salnave like the other kid Perez are not point guards. We have enough 2 guards on the team.

Exactly. We need 2 points, at least on every team. St.John's has been consistent in so few areas over the last 30 years. Not having enough, or even a point guard is one of them.

Now people actually want to replace a point guard with a MAAC player. Not a great MAAC player, but a decent one. Maybe. And one that has in no way proven that he can play in the BE. There's a reason why some kids go to the MAAC. It's a good fit for them. I wish Ray Salnave all the best, but I think he'd be foolish to go to St.John's, and we'd be foolish to trade McGriff for him.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2020, 06:41:53 PM by Poison »

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2020, 12:45:20 PM »
Ray Salnave was a poor man's Isaiah Whitehead with more baggage. He can score the rock and he's like a slightly taller Rasheem Dunn. If he had his act together he would have been Big East player from the jump.

What I'm wondering is I can't see him having larger role here than he did at Monmouth nor is he missing piece to team to make deep NCAA run. He's also not a great decision maker on the floor and worry about his addition with lack of structure already.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2020, 02:30:21 PM »
Ray Salnave was a poor man's Isaiah Whitehead with more baggage. He can score the rock and he's like a slightly taller Rasheem Dunn. If he had his act together he would have been Big East player from the jump.

What I'm wondering is I can't see him having larger role here than he did at Monmouth nor is he missing piece to team to make deep NCAA run. He's also not a great decision maker on the floor and worry about his addition with lack of structure already.

LOL 🙄

Poison

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2020, 06:15:28 PM »

What kinda baggage? A broken heart ;)

He seems ok. Not thrilling, but ok.
To his credit, he’s improved his production every season. Maybe he can finally put it all together? You never know when a kid figures it out, or even just matures. If we’re losing LJ, which I can see happening, Salnave can replace some of his scoring. If we’re losing McGriff, I’m concerned that we’ll have one point guard and seven off guards.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2020, 06:25:14 PM by Poison »

« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2020, 07:22:04 PM »
What kinda baggage? A broken heart ;)

He seems ok. Not thrilling, but ok.
To his credit, he’s improved his production every season. Maybe he can finally put it all together? You never know when a kid figures it out, or even just matures. If we’re losing LJ, which I can see happening, Salnave can replace some of his scoring. If we’re losing McGriff, I’m concerned that we’ll have one point guard and seven off guards.

Salnave is not a point and he's not quick. Also the baggage to nicely put it he's a knucklehead. LJ is taking max credits this semester so connect the dots.

Poison

« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2020, 07:43:31 PM »
Salnave is not a point and he's not quick. Also the baggage to nicely put it he's a knucklehead. LJ is taking max credits this semester so connect the dots.

Thanks for sharing. Their stats last season are almost the same across the board. Only small difference is that LJ played in the BE ;)

If it’s already done, and he’s coming, let’s hope he makes the most of his opportunity.

It’s been quite some time since we all first heard about him. Who knows, maybe it can have a happy ending?

« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2020, 08:02:22 PM »
Thanks for sharing. Their stats last season are almost the same across the board. Only small difference is that LJ played in the BE ;)

If it’s already done, and he’s coming, let’s hope he makes the most of his opportunity.

It’s been quite some time since we all first heard about him. Who knows, maybe it can have a happy ending?

There is nothing wrong with optimism but Ray Salnave is not helping us move up in the Big East.

Poison

« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2020, 08:08:18 PM »
There is nothing wrong with optimism but Ray Salnave is not helping us move up in the Big East.

This choice of player is puzzling to me. Coach Anderson hasn’t brought in knuckleheads so far. I wonder if the staff has tried to land others and just missed on them?

« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2020, 09:05:59 PM »

Does that mean he’s staying?
Just asking