« Reply #460 on: August 18, 2011, 08:46:31 PM »
Video taken by Stevie Wonder.

MCNPA

Re: Maurice Harkless - SF - South Kent - Forest Hills, NY - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #461 on: August 18, 2011, 11:08:15 PM »
Mau throwing down a windmill at Taffner Fieldhouse:

http://www.twitvid.com/5PRND

Was that Pointer that he dunked on?

No...  It's pretty scary though that Mo Harkless isn't one of our top 3 athletes in this class, and he's a very good athlete.

« Reply #462 on: August 19, 2011, 12:12:50 PM »

Was that Pointer that he dunked on?

No...  It's pretty scary though that Mo Harkless isn't one of our top 3 athletes in this class, and he's a very good athlete.

really scary. Probably only the fith best athlete
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

gman

« Reply #463 on: August 21, 2011, 10:57:03 AM »

Does this mean Nate Blue is floating around campus?

« Reply #464 on: August 24, 2011, 10:38:58 PM »
looks like social media for the team is over as soon as school starts:

moe_harkless Maurice Harkless 
Its over for twitter real soon...
2 hours ago
in reply to ↑

@SirDom1
Sir'Dominic Pointer
@moe_harkless tearr :'( ikr
34 minutes ago via web
Favorite Reply

Poison

« Reply #465 on: August 24, 2011, 10:48:23 PM »
A wise move.

crgreen

« Reply #466 on: October 06, 2011, 05:55:04 PM »
Sure seems weird that with only 7 scholarship players, there hasn't been a Mo Harkless post on this board in almost a month and a half!  (Aug 24th).   Isn't Mo pretty much gonna have to provide the MAJORITY of our front court scoring - at least till 2nd semester???
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 05:55:43 PM by crgreen »

« Reply #467 on: October 06, 2011, 06:02:43 PM »
Sure seems weird that with only 7 scholarship players, there hasn't been a Mo Harkless post on this board in almost a month and a half!  (Aug 24th).   Isn't Mo pretty much gonna have to provide the MAJORITY of our front court scoring - at least till 2nd semester???

I know Mo can create his own shot if need be. He's as versatile as it get.

Dont know if Dom can do that yet. He's a finisher. Dont know if he go it in himself to create of the bat. Handle need work. J need work. But you set him up, the brother is finishin. Aint no doubt about it.

Got no idea what to expect from GG. Do he have a low post game? Maybe. Just dont know.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

boo3

« Reply #468 on: October 06, 2011, 07:11:11 PM »
  How would Mo compare to Sealy?   Am I way off here?  I love the idea that Mo is taking a leadership role on this team, even as a Freshman.  I think Malik was similar in a way when he came in. 

« Reply #469 on: October 06, 2011, 07:26:18 PM »

Dont know if Dom can do that yet. He's a finisher. Dont know if he go it in himself to create of the bat. Handle need work. J need work. But you set him up, the brother is finishin. Aint no doubt about it.

Got no idea what to expect from GG. Do he have a low post game? Maybe. Just dont know.
Choz - by mid-season, Gg is gonna be The Hammer....

« Reply #470 on: October 07, 2011, 12:32:53 PM »

Rebounds,putbacks and defense from GG

pmg911

« Reply #471 on: October 07, 2011, 03:20:51 PM »
@Boo - while Malik was certainly one of the better players on St. John's his Freshman season, the leaders of that team were most definitely Matt Brust & Jayson Williams.

boo3

« Reply #472 on: October 07, 2011, 03:32:57 PM »
@Boo - while Malik was certainly one of the better players on St. John's his Freshman season, the leaders of that team were most definitely Matt Brust & Jayson Williams.

Aha,  thanks.  I couldn't remember who else was on that team their freshman year.

As far as their games on the court.  How do Harkless and Sealy compare?   

« Reply #473 on: October 07, 2011, 04:27:11 PM »

Aha,  thanks.  I couldn't remember who else was on that team their freshman year.

As far as their games on the court.  How do Harkless and Sealy compare?   

Long and both seem to have a midrange game. 

paultzman

« Reply #474 on: October 07, 2011, 04:37:01 PM »
Remember Sealy was a McDonalds AA, playing with one of the best McD teams ever assembled. IMHO Sealy was much better coached in HS and AAU life, was better defensively and had pro written all over him, as noted by Walt Frazier in the NY State finals. No knock at Mo, but I think Sealy was a knotch above him.

« Reply #475 on: October 07, 2011, 05:35:07 PM »
Think we ought to wait until at least a few games?
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

boo3

« Reply #476 on: October 07, 2011, 05:51:08 PM »

I'm not anointing anyone here.  I've never seen any of these freshmen play before.  Just wanted to get a sense if he compared to anyone St. John's has had before.  Slender, 6' 7" forward reminded me of someone.   Shit, we spent 8 months and 3,000 posts comparing Kyle Anderson to everyone from Jalen Rose to Magic Johnson.

« Reply #477 on: October 07, 2011, 07:27:05 PM »

I'm not anointing anyone here.  I've never seen any of these freshmen play before.  Just wanted to get a sense if he compared to anyone St. John's has had before.  Slender, 6' 7" forward reminded me of someone.   Shit, we spent 8 months and 3,000 posts comparing Kyle Anderson to everyone from Jalen Rose to Magic Johnson.

Harkless is probably the most polished freshmen we have in our 2011 class.  Yes, we're certainly gonna be shorthanded and small.  But, the freshmen who are gonna suit up are probably the most polished ones of the bunch.

« Reply #478 on: October 07, 2011, 11:34:19 PM »

Harkless is probably the most polished freshmen we have in our 2011 class.  Yes, we're certainly gonna be shorthanded and small.  But, the freshmen who are gonna suit up are probably the most polished ones of the bunch.

Agreed IMO even before they were ruled inelgible I thought that Jakarr, Norvel & Amir were the most raw out of the group and would take a longer time to reach their potential. Obviously it would be better if they were here this year but it might help their development in the long run if they have another year to work on their weaknesses before they suit up as freshman

crgreen

« Reply #479 on: October 08, 2011, 01:11:55 AM »

Agreed IMO even before they were ruled inelgible I thought that Jakarr, Norvel & Amir were the most raw out of the group and would take a longer time to reach their potential. Obviously it would be better if they were here this year but it might help their development in the long run if they have another year to work on their weaknesses before they suit up as freshman

Yeah, but what hurts about those 3 is that WHILE they were working on their weaknesses and and taking a "longer time to reach their potential", it was likely they'd have STILL been better 80% of the players in D1 at their positions.    Looking back at RSCI rankings, St Johns hasn't had a TOTAL of 3 top 50 recruits in the last Decade combined (till THIS year with the 4 that ARE here)..

Re "better than 80%" - the TRULY simplistic math goes - 15 players on a roster, so appx 5000 D-1 players.    5 postions on the court, so 1000 players per position.   So appx 250 players from each of 4 recruiting classes at each position.  Better than 80% of them?  That would mean top 50 recruit or better.   All three ARE top 50 recruits.

All thre are imporrtant.  I really want to see Amir succeed.   But Pelle?  Even as a raw, developing player, he is SO superior a talent that every game he's NOT on the court "developing" is a crying shame, because he would have been more talented than almost EVERY player he would have gone against.    With the Big East and NCAA (or NIT) tourneys, there are a potential FORTY TWO games to be played this season.  He would have out-talented his opponent in most of those, and in 2013, had 42 games experience torwards out-skilling them nxt year.  Only brightside I can see is that he could conceivably still be manning the center spot for us in 2016 now.