Maurice Harkless - SF - South Kent - Forest Hills, NY - ST. JOHN'S

• 504 replies

MCNPA

Re: Maurice Harkless - SF - South Kent - Forest Hills, NY - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #380 on: July 20, 2011, 02:46:53 AM »
Nate Blue just tweeted this:

"@moe_harkless just sent me more texts in 3mins then this whole month and its ugly... Real ugly for me right now. Off twitter for a while."

My first thought was "#$%^, the NCAA ruled him ineligible to play for us." But then after a couple seconds I thought "#$%^, Nate Blue is really close to Moe, so hopefully Moe didn't have a family tragedy or something like that." Any insiders have any idea?
yet Moe didn't tweet anything of note - hmmm...

I feel sick reading that

I wouldn't read too much into these tweets just yet.  We did the same with Pelle prior.  I can't see how NCAA would rule Mo ineligible because hicks was helping the Gauchos while Harkless played a game or two.  I think we have to let this one play out a bit.

Harkless is the type of recruit that you switch the coaching scenario for IMO.

Yeah, but not like we could do anything at this point.  I still don't believe that the NCAA would punish the kid and make ineligible at this point to play for SJU.  The ruling would be more damaging than the brief inadvertent association.  If it becomes the case, then I'd be extremely disappointed, especially for the kid.   Hopefully it gets cleared up soon.

« Reply #381 on: July 20, 2011, 08:26:12 AM »
Moe has been tweeting for several hours and no mention of anything out of the ordinary.

« Reply #382 on: July 20, 2011, 08:32:12 AM »
Moe has been tweeting for several hours and no mention of anything out of the ordinary.

Maybe, Nate Blue was referring to Lamar Odom's situation.  Who knows!?! 

Poison

« Reply #383 on: July 20, 2011, 08:33:01 AM »
Would the NCAA punish a kid that didn't deserve to be punished?
Have they ever done that before?

« Reply #384 on: July 20, 2011, 09:31:34 AM »
Nothing to worry about.  He'll be ready to go.

MCNPA

« Reply #385 on: July 20, 2011, 09:45:35 AM »
Nothing to worry about.  He'll be ready to go.

Guessing/hoping you have legit info on this? 

« Reply #386 on: July 20, 2011, 10:00:31 AM »
It's good info..not conjecture. 
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 10:01:33 AM by Alleyoops »

MCNPA

« Reply #387 on: July 20, 2011, 10:02:15 AM »

Great news..

kjd01067

« Reply #388 on: July 20, 2011, 10:09:54 AM »

Great news..

That it is. I think I will nonetheless be on the edge of my seat until all the guys show up on campus and start practicing and taking classes.  Let's just hurry up and get to the season so we all can stop worrying

« Reply #389 on: July 20, 2011, 10:13:10 AM »
Definitely is.  November can't come quickly enough.  I expect to take our lumps along the way, but I also expect some pleasant surprises too.

« Reply #390 on: July 20, 2011, 10:22:41 AM »
Definitely is.  November can't come quickly enough.  I expect to take our lumps along the way, but I also expect some pleasant surprises too.
Gotta have all nine to be the Nasty Nine!

« Reply #391 on: July 20, 2011, 10:50:52 AM »
My Fault with the tweet, it was all refering to a "Chest building workout" that he told me to do. I didnt think it was that big. As far as the NCAA stuff, its still quiet.  I dont think the rule applies tho. Thanks for your concern.

MCNPA

« Reply #392 on: July 20, 2011, 11:07:25 AM »
My Fault with the tweet, it was all refering to a "Chest building workout" that he told me to do. I didnt think it was that big. As far as the NCAA stuff, its still quiet.  I dont think the rule applies tho. Thanks for your concern.

From the horse's mouth.  Great to hear.  We're all pulling for a smooth transition.  Good luck.

NYCoffey

« Reply #393 on: July 20, 2011, 11:30:05 AM »
Mo will be playing tomorrow at Baurch in the Nike Pro City tournament according to Nate blues twitter. Looks like free admision but limited seating if anyone can make it. Marshon Brookls and Ryan Gomes are a couple of names I waw playing in the tournament.

Nathan Blue
@Nateblueis4real Nathan Blue
@MikePoole_10 and @moe_harkless both been around this summer and both actually play tomorrow in Nike Pro City at Baruch.

http://twitter.com/#!/nateblueis4real

Marillac

« Reply #394 on: July 20, 2011, 07:31:44 PM »

Great news.

boo3

« Reply #395 on: July 20, 2011, 08:19:46 PM »
 LOL.   Twitter is ridiculous.  A great idea would be for the athletic dept to ban kids from using twitter and facebook.  Nothing good comes from it for someone in the public eye. You have a bunch of grown men and women stalking you and reading into every comment you make, dissecting it, and making stupid assumptions. 

Disclosure-   I have a twitter account, but have never made a single tweet and use it only for my job.  News, info, etc. 

We need to stop stalking 18 year olds on twitter.  Does no one else find this alarmingly bizarre?

MCNPA

« Reply #396 on: July 20, 2011, 08:38:28 PM »
LOL.   Twitter is ridiculous.  A great idea would be for the athletic dept to ban kids from using twitter and facebook.  Nothing good comes from it for someone in the public eye. You have a bunch of grown men and women stalking you and reading into every comment you make, dissecting it, and making stupid assumptions. 

Disclosure-   I have a twitter account, but have never made a single tweet and use it only for my job.  News, info, etc. 

We need to stop stalking 18 year olds on twitter.  Does no one else find this alarmingly bizarre?

It's not stalking.  It would be bizarre if tens of millions of people didn't use it.  These are public pages for the most part.  Ask Anthony Weiner.  Stalking is invading somebody's private life.  Twitter is like a stock ticker for info.    Following SJU recruits that way is easy and all kids have a choice to filter and lock out people if they want.  They also have the choice of what they tweet.  Navigating social media is really not so complicated.  If you don't want people to read it, then don't write it or dont have an account.  Things have changed and people can get instant exposure by pressing a button or two.  everybody has to be careful in this day and age. 

boo3

« Reply #397 on: July 20, 2011, 08:51:53 PM »

It's not stalking.  It would be bizarre if tens of millions of people didn't use it.  These are public pages for the most part.  Ask Anthony Weiner.  Stalking is invading somebody's private life.  Twitter is like a stock ticker for info.    Following SJU recruits that way is easy and all kids have a choice to filter and lock out people if they want.  They also have the choice of what they tweet.  Navigating social media is really not so complicated.  If you don't want people to read it, then don't write it or dont have an account.  Things have changed and people can get instant exposure by pressing a button or two.  everybody has to be careful in this day and age.

I agree for the most part.  Unfortunately 18 year olds and college aged kids in general have a hard time navigating the  " everybody has to be careful in this day and age" aspect of it.  Take the USC football player for instance ( i know it wasn't twitter or facebook).  Kids do stupid things and sometimes say even stupider things.  Just would hate to see someone screw up their future as a result.  Not sure if this is put into practice yet, but all these kids should go through a mandatory social media course once they step on campus.  It could save someone's job down the line.

That was my point.  Not trying to accuse anybody of being a stalker or crossing the line.  Bad terminology on my part.

MCNPA

« Reply #398 on: July 20, 2011, 09:01:55 PM »

I agree for the most part.  Unfortunately 18 year olds and college aged kids in general have a hard time navigating the  " everybody has to be careful in this day and age" aspect of it.  Take the USC football player for instance ( i know it wasn't twitter or facebook).  Kids do stupid things and sometimes say even stupider things.  Just would hate to see someone screw up their future as a result.  Not sure if this is put into practice yet, but all these kids should go through a mandatory social media course once they step on campus.  It could save someone's job down the line.

That was my point.  Not trying to accuse anybody of being a stalker or crossing the line.  Bad terminology on my part.

Understood.  Lavin and Co. Shut it down twitter-wise for these kids once they get on campus.  It would be great if they all just learn the negative implications of having the world see the things you are saying.  I know that all kids are diffent and don't think of the consequences of these things tough.  SJU's coaches do and will curb it and for good reason.  It is beneficial to the kids.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #399 on: July 21, 2011, 10:17:39 AM »

But that's part of how kids communicate. I think it's a little strange, a little public, but kids always have a learning process with respect to how to conduct themselves and consequences of their actions.

Personally, I like seeing a little personality from the kids, and seeing which ones conduct themselves well - for example, Moe Harkless seems like a good dude and like he will be an excellent representative for the University.

Once he's cleared to enroll.