Maurice Harkless - SF - South Kent - Forest Hills, NY - ST. JOHN'S

• 504 replies

derk

Re: Maurice Harkless - SF - South Kent - Forest Hills, NY - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #320 on: May 27, 2011, 10:51:35 PM »

Choz- you are probably the best person to ask this so how many times or how long did Harkless play for the Gauchos?

Nah bre. Been on a sabbatical upstate for almost a year. Just gettin back into the scene.
[/quote]

Glad you're back Choz. Hope you got all of that upstate stuff out of your system cause this ride is going to be too much fun to miss.

« Reply #321 on: May 28, 2011, 02:54:27 PM »
Why is it shameful that people question what is going on?  Not hating on Hicks in the least.  At face value, the average person doesn't know this stuff.  Forgive me, I missed the conference call with Lavin and the staff last week explaining Hick's importance to the program...   ::)  Nobody is turning on anybody.  It just seems we're being dragged through the mud a bit with Momo, Harkless and Hicks is at the forefront lately.  The average fan that isn't privy is going to question it.  I'm not connected to this stuff as much as I used to be when I was younger.  I really don't see the issue with fans wondering if it was worthwhile when reading this type of stuff.

I thought it was much ado about nothing until yesterday, but the fact that our first major recruit here and one of our biggest is being scrutinized by the NCAA enough that Hicks has to make a statement.  I think the crazy ones are the people that aren't concerned at least a little and aren't questioning this hire and it's relationship to our recruits and player.  Let me ask everybody a question.  For argument sake, if by some chance we lose Harkless because of this, is everybody still going to be celebrating the hire??

The only people that find Hicks/Harkless situation to be a problem are the headline readers.  Read the details and you realize there is not an issue. Our compliance department is extra careful now after our past troubles.  Comments like...."It's time for Hicks to go" are ridiculous.  First, as other posters have said he hasn't cost us a recruit until Momo showed up on the radar.  And I'm wondering if the staff isn't using that as an excuse to not take him(second thoughts).  Second, Lavin obviously thought enough of Hicks to hire him knowing the rule.  Third, to let him go now when the rule no longer applies to Hicks(because we are now at the point where the 2 year window is closed) makes no sense. 

With all that said it is very reasonable to question the people posting Hicks should go essentially based solely on Momo Jones.  You may not know all that Hicks has done for the staff(I don't either) but you should know his credentials.  He's overqualified for the basketball operations position and we are lucky to have him.

hicks may be great.  he might have been an ideal head coach at manhattan.  no one is questioning that.  i wouldn't mind if the first assistant coach opening  at st john's went to him.  on the other hand, you can't help but worry if his presence is going to cost us one of the best...if not the best...recruits we've had since the jarvis era.

the nyc city players weren't banging on our doors under norm when hicks had the power...they're not banging on our doors now.  we're not banging on theirs.   this is business.  there are no nice guy points.  ask norm. 

« Reply #322 on: May 28, 2011, 03:13:13 PM »
hicks may be great.  he might have been an ideal head coach at manhattan.  no one is questioning that.  i wouldn't mind if the first assistant coach opening  at st john's went to him.  on the other hand, you can't help but worry if his presence is going to cost us one of the best...if not the best...recruits we've had since the jarvis era.

the nyc city players weren't banging on our doors under norm when hicks had the power...they're not banging on our doors now.  we're not banging on theirs.   this is business.  there are no nice guy points.  ask norm. 

When Hicks had the power? He was a HS coach and AAU administrator and not connected to St. John's.  Are you holding a grudge we didn't get more of his players?  At most all he could do is ask a player to listen to Norm's pitch.

It's not about being the nice guy...it's making the better long term move.  In the long run Hicks will be more beneficial than any single recruit (unless we're talking Carmelo Anthony).  And again if he costs us Momo Jones its too late to let Hicks go anyway. The period where Hicks is affected by this rule is essentially over.  And again Lavin knew the rule when he hired Hicks.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #323 on: May 28, 2011, 04:35:19 PM »
Why is it shameful that people question what is going on?  Not hating on Hicks in the least.  At face value, the average person doesn't know this stuff.  Forgive me, I missed the conference call with Lavin and the staff last week explaining Hick's importance to the program...   ::)  Nobody is turning on anybody.  It just seems we're being dragged through the mud a bit with Momo, Harkless and Hicks is at the forefront lately.  The average fan that isn't privy is going to question it.  I'm not connected to this stuff as much as I used to be when I was younger.  I really don't see the issue with fans wondering if it was worthwhile when reading this type of stuff.

I thought it was much ado about nothing until yesterday, but the fact that our first major recruit here and one of our biggest is being scrutinized by the NCAA enough that Hicks has to make a statement.  I think the crazy ones are the people that aren't concerned at least a little and aren't questioning this hire and it's relationship to our recruits and player.  Let me ask everybody a question.  For argument sake, if by some chance we lose Harkless because of this, is everybody still going to be celebrating the hire??

The only people that find Hicks/Harkless situation to be a problem are the headline readers.  Read the details and you realize there is not an issue. Our compliance department is extra careful now after our past troubles.  Comments like...."It's time for Hicks to go" are ridiculous.  First, as other posters have said he hasn't cost us a recruit until Momo showed up on the radar.  And I'm wondering if the staff isn't using that as an excuse to not take him(second thoughts).  Second, Lavin obviously thought enough of Hicks to hire him knowing the rule.  Third, to let him go now when the rule no longer applies to Hicks(because we are now at the point where the 2 year window is closed) makes no sense. 

With all that said it is very reasonable to question the people posting Hicks should go essentially based solely on Momo Jones.  You may not know all that Hicks has done for the staff(I don't either) but you should know his credentials.  He's overqualified for the basketball operations position and we are lucky to have him.

on the other hand, you can't help but worry if his presence is going to cost us one of the best...if not the best...recruits we've had since the jarvis era.

good thing we have 6 or so other recruits this year who are the best since the Fran era also :)

kob24

« Reply #324 on: May 28, 2011, 05:53:30 PM »
i believe he will be ok. he played 2 games. thats it. if the ncaa doesnt clear him then they are pieces of sh!+

« Reply #325 on: May 29, 2011, 08:13:56 AM »

What many forget is that Hicks is not costing us just one recruit............. It's Kadeem Jack, Mo Mo Jones , Mo Harkless and I believe there was one other.  Every one of the above mentioned players was top 50 nationally. Now thats a tough nut to swallow.

« Reply #326 on: May 29, 2011, 08:32:34 AM »
I think Baldi say it best bout the role Moe played wit MoMo.
"Cost" aint the right word. "Saved" is.

Gonna catch fire fo that, but whateva. Truth is truth. 
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

« Reply #327 on: May 29, 2011, 10:36:20 AM »
i dont get why everyone is making a big deal about hicks. so we lost out on 2 years of recruits. big deal.

i dont know if anyone remembers anymore, but about 14 months ago we couldnt even dream of getting recuits in the same ballpark to mention us.

hicks is a good move for the long term. so we miss out on a few recruits, his reputation, experience, and knowledge is worth it.

« Reply #328 on: May 29, 2011, 07:50:06 PM »
It's Kadeem Jack, Mo Mo Jones , Mo Harkless and I believe there was one other.  Every one of the above mentioned players was top 50 nationally.

Even if you were dumb enough to believe that STJ was going to get all those guys, and I have no doubt that you are, none (including Jermaine Sanders) were or are top 50.  Only Harkless has the chance to be this year in the final rankings.  They're all good recruits but none are better than what's coming in, including Harkless who as of this moment will be playing for STJ next year.  Neither Jack nor Sanders will be a top 100 player when the end of year rankings are finalized and Momo was 84 in the country his senior year.  If rankings are all you want to go by STJ has 6 guys plus Harkless better than any of the guys you're whining about. Jones wouold have been nice because he could have brought experience but I would only have wanted him around next year anyway and the waiver wasn't guaranteed.

LJSA

« Reply #329 on: May 29, 2011, 09:59:30 PM »
Polee was going to be an undersized PF here. Jack would probably be a better undersized PF for us, but I won't cry over him not being here. There are bigger fish to fry in the near future. Anyone who mentions Sanders in the same breath as the guys we have is a clown and just looking to be a dick. If Harkless is ruled ineligible, there will be a lawsuit.

« Reply #330 on: May 30, 2011, 01:27:05 AM »
It's Kadeem Jack, Mo Mo Jones , Mo Harkless and I believe there was one other.  Every one of the above mentioned players was top 50 nationally.

Even if you were dumb enough to believe that STJ was going to get all those guys, and I have no doubt that you are, none (including Jermaine Sanders) were or are top 50.  Only Harkless has the chance to be this year in the final rankings.  They're all good recruits but none are better than what's coming in, including Harkless who as of this moment will be playing for STJ next year.  Neither Jack nor Sanders will be a top 100 player when the end of year rankings are finalized and Momo was 84 in the country his senior year.  If rankings are all you want to go by STJ has 6 guys plus Harkless better than any of the guys you're whining about. Jones wouold have been nice because he could have brought experience but I would only have wanted him around next year anyway and the waiver wasn't guaranteed.

I would like to add...that perhaps the main reason any of these guys were interested in St. John's was because Hicks was here.  If he wasn't hired they would not have come anyway and therefore the hiring of Hicks did not cause us to "lose" them.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #331 on: May 30, 2011, 12:22:36 PM »
Kadeem wasn't interested in St. John's even when Hicks was here. He would let me know how much he disliked St. John's on a daily basis.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #332 on: May 30, 2011, 12:24:51 PM »
Kadeem wasn't interested in St. John's even when Hicks was here. He would let me know how much he disliked St. John's on a daily basis.

Didnt like staff? Campus? Facilities? Fans? or maybe Baldi?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 12:27:55 PM by Marco Baldi »

« Reply #333 on: May 30, 2011, 03:17:10 PM »

Referring to yourself in the third person. Your level of self aggrandizement is truly amazing.

« Reply #334 on: May 30, 2011, 03:26:48 PM »

Referring to yourself in the third person. Your level of self aggrandizement is truly amazing.

There are alot of words that can describe me, not sure thats 1 of them.

derk

« Reply #335 on: May 30, 2011, 06:48:20 PM »

On a daily basis ? What was that about Dave

« Reply #336 on: May 30, 2011, 08:08:00 PM »

On a daily basis ? What was that about Dave

His school practiced where I worked. It was more friendly busting chops but I don't think the staff had the level of interest Norm had in him. This is my own speculation though. He just would voice how he had no interest.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

SJUFAN

« Reply #337 on: May 31, 2011, 04:10:47 AM »

What many forget is that Hicks is not costing us just one recruit............. It's Kadeem Jack, Mo Mo Jones , Mo Harkless and I believe there was one other.  Every one of the above mentioned players was top 50 nationally. Now thats a tough nut to swallow.

Last time I looked Harkless was still part of this team, until we hear otherwise, lets keep it that way. Is there a official investigation into this?

VG88

« Reply #338 on: May 31, 2011, 08:31:05 AM »
Polee was going to be an undersized PF here. Jack would probably be a better undersized PF for us, but I won't cry over him not being here. There are bigger fish to fry in the near future. Anyone who mentions Sanders in the same breath as the guys we have is a clown and just looking to be a dick. If Harkless is ruled ineligible, there will be a lawsuit.

Does anyone know how long it will take the NCAA to rule on this? They traditionally drag their feet.  If forced to go the legal route that would probably jeopardize at least the 1st semester for Mo.  Poor kid is being held hostage until the NCAA makes their ruling. Hopefully it doesn't drag on too long.

Moose

« Reply #339 on: May 31, 2011, 08:48:08 AM »

Does anyone know how long it will take the NCAA to rule on this? They traditionally drag their feet.  If forced to go the legal route that would probably jeopardize at least the 1st semester for Mo.  Poor kid is being held hostage until the NCAA makes their ruling. Hopefully it doesn't drag on too long.

I'll subscribe to the no news is good news theory.
Remember who broke the Slice news