who is frankie wiliams?

former Knick PG?

redslope

Re: Maurice Harkless - SF - South Kent - Forest Hills, NY - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #262 on: May 03, 2011, 08:46:04 PM »
who is frankie wiliams?

former Knick PG?

not that frank williams; he may be in jail now

this frankie williams was a youth coach in westchester who died about 5 years ago..tournament is in his memory and has had some good players over the years

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #263 on: May 25, 2011, 11:21:32 PM »
Both Zags and Lenny Robbins have posted on Moe Harkless' semi-connection with Moe Hicks - Harkless played a few games with the Gauchos, but wasn't coached by Hicks... but they still get the "top recruit may not be eligible to play at St. John's" thinkg out there.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/college/basketball/top_recruit_may_not_john_eligible_ZgjNjOrqahgD0cZljKyDfM

http://www.zagsblog.com/2011/05/25/st-johns-drawing-distinction-between-mo-and-momo/

Fratto and the compliance people don't think it'll be an issue.

Gumby

« Reply #264 on: May 26, 2011, 12:20:51 AM »
The Post headline is just that an attention grabber.

St. John's just seems to be working with the NCAA on clarifying the Mo situation.  As there was no direct coaching involved with Mo,  it should not be an issue for long.

I hope in the long run Coach Hicks brings something of value to St. John's.  So far we could not recruit two of his Rice players, may have lost out on Momo, and now the Mo situation.  Are we the only school having problems with the 2010 NCAA ruling?

Poison

« Reply #265 on: May 26, 2011, 08:16:48 AM »
The NCAA is using their typical terrorist tactics to police our program.
If anyone hasn't seen last night's Southpark episode which was about the NCAA, I highly recommend it. It's spot on.

« Reply #267 on: May 26, 2011, 08:43:00 AM »
The NCAA is using their typical terrorist tactics to police our program.
If anyone hasn't seen last night's Southpark episode which was about the NCAA, I highly recommend it. It's spot on.

Pretty much, Poison.  The NCAA is a joke!  Plain and simple.  They need to go sniff around some of the more unsavory programs, instead of screwing around with our program.  Hopefully, Harkless is cleared to play with the Johnnies and this ends up being much of nothing.

« Reply #268 on: May 26, 2011, 08:57:07 AM »
It shouldn't be.

But why in the world is this coming up now?  I can remember that people mentioned this way back last summer when he was recruited.  These questions should have been asked last summer not now.

My point is I got to believe SJU and their compliance looked into this last summer way back when they were recruiting him and had it deemed in compliance with the rule.  If they didn't then shame on them because this should have been cleared up months ago.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 09:05:37 AM by fordham96 »

« Reply #269 on: May 26, 2011, 09:04:07 AM »
It shouldn't be.

But why in the world is this coming up now?  I can remember that people mentioned this way back last summer when he was recruited.  These questions should have asked last summer not now.

Agree!  Not to mention, I always thought Harkless was solely associated with the Panthers.  I never knew anything about him being a part of the Gauchos.

I just hate when situations like this pops up late in the game and leaves player and school in limbo.

MCNPA

« Reply #270 on: May 26, 2011, 09:17:13 AM »
It shouldn't be.

But why in the world is this coming up now?  I can remember that people mentioned this way back last summer when he was recruited.  These questions should have been asked last summer not now.

My point is I got to believe SJU and their compliance looked into this last summer way back when they were recruiting him and had it deemed in compliance with the rule.  If they didn't then shame on them because this should have been cleared up months ago.

I bet they did check on this.  Very likely just the media bringing the issue up because it came to light with the MoMo thing.  Simply a "hey, if MoMo isn't eligible, then how about Harkless"?  Now that we're in the media much more, and having great recruiting success, there will be more people acting as detractors.  It's the nature of the beast.

« Reply #271 on: May 26, 2011, 09:34:13 AM »
It shouldn't be.

I bet they did check on this.  Very likely just the media bringing the issue up because it came to light with the MoMo thing.  Simply a "hey, if MoMo isn't eligible, then how about Harkless"?  Now that we're in the media much more, and having great recruiting success, there will be more people acting as detractors.  It's the nature of the beast.

That's my hunch.

Because I can tell you I remember last summer that several fans on other Big East boards mentioned this when Harkless was being recruited.  It was mentioned in passing on redmen.com.

Nobody thought much of it.  Now with the whole Momo thing suddenly it becomes an issue again.  As you stated if Momo was never transferring from Arizona we would not even be having this conversation and Harkless would quietly be getting ready to enroll at SJU and none of this would be an issue.

MCNPA

« Reply #272 on: May 26, 2011, 09:43:48 AM »
It shouldn't be.

That's my hunch.

Because I can tell you I remember last summer that several fans on other Big East boards mentioned this when Harkless was being recruited.  It was mentioned in passing on redmen.com.

Nobody thought much of it.  Now with the whole Momo thing suddenly it becomes an issue again.  As you stated if Momo was never transferring from Arizona we would not even be having this conversation and Harkless would quietly be getting ready to enroll at SJU and none of this would be an issue.

YeH, I'm guessing that it is really a non-issue, just a media re-tread for offseason sensationalism.  Fratto is real good from what I hear, and even Dunlap has published some material on gaining eligibility.  I'm sure they knew this would ome up even before hicks was hired.  I'm not worried about Harkless as there was almost no affiliation prior.  Harkless' main liason was Nate blue.   I'm more worried about Pelle, but that seems it might be a non-issue too.

« Reply #273 on: May 26, 2011, 10:17:55 AM »
Yes this all makes sense.  A school like Ohio State knowingly cheats, and its coach lies about it, and yet gets to have their players participate in a BCS bowl game.  So what they are suspended for a 4-6 games this year.  The school made a fortune last year.  And Ohio St.'s crooked AD is the head of the NCAA selection committee. 

And yet, the NCAA (National Communist Alliance Authority) is sniffing around SJU to make certain rules were followed with Harkless.  OK, sure, makes sense. 

I am confident this will be a non issue soon.  But the fact this is even on the radar is a joke.  How great would it be to crap on the NCAA and all the football schools one day by winning a national title?  Of course, the football schools could always force a rule change during the game to create a best two out of three final, (with the next two games being on their home court of course).

« Reply #274 on: May 26, 2011, 11:03:42 AM »
Probably more of a general post but does anyone thing the BE will split up into a football division and non-football division for hoops with a couple of cross-over games?  Similar to the SEC east\west?  Maybe have 2 seperate tournies for division champs (that are automatic bids) and then a BE champ game for the trophy.  thoughts? 

« Reply #275 on: May 26, 2011, 11:31:46 AM »
Let's keep this in mind.

We don't even know if the NCAA  is investigating this at all.  What we do know is that a few fans on other boards who brought this to the attention of a couple of local college reporters who then decided they did not have a sufficient response themselves so they decided to dig some more.

For all we know this could have been fleshed out a long time ago.  SJU is under no obligation to explain this to anyone thus questions could still arise.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #276 on: May 26, 2011, 12:04:27 PM »
First, as Fordham mentions - let's not get into a tizzy about the NCAA actually investigating. Fratto's statement said that the school continues to work with the NCAA about compliance. This is some crap that came up, in all seriousness, only after someone tweeted to Zagoria that Harkless played a couple of games with the Gauchos. And it popped up on this message board as well. There are certainly some fans of other schools (or even members of other programs) who would LOVE to get Harkless to not come to St. John's or to transfer.

St. John's has been on top of compliance stuff. Remember Remi Barry? They're on top of things.

« Reply #278 on: May 26, 2011, 01:01:25 PM »
So the media cycle here is never ending.   It would've been great if Mark Fratto came out and said that this was all reviewed at the time Mo was recruited and he has been cleared by the NCAA instead of saying “St. John’s works attentively to be in compliance with NCAA legislation at all times, and we have been diligent with all of our incoming men’s basketball student-athletes,”

« Reply #279 on: May 26, 2011, 01:13:54 PM »
it's time for hicks to go.