18-19 Season

• 256 replies
Re: 18-19 Season
« Reply #80 on: June 12, 2018, 04:55:51 PM »
Cal lost their leading scorer and 3rd leading scorer from last year
Cal 2-16 in conference. 8-24 overall.
Vcu and temple not much better.
I work close by and I will have fun. But why play in this shitty tournament? Maybe their will be 1500 fans.
Uconn playing Syracuse- sold out garden. Who makes our schedule?

Last year, we had the 9th toughest strength of schedule per KenPom.

But playing in the Barclays Center has proven to be a total zero for us.  I'd prefer we never play there again unless it is included in the season ticket package.  Otherwise, it will be very poorly attended.

It's a Tournament.  The event chooses the site.  Would you prefer they play in Boston?

This isn't supposed to be a "home game."
I would prefer that they play in Boston versus having a mostly empty arena located 10 miles from campus.  Our fans do not show up for these games and it reflects poorly on the program.  Other than travel logistics, there is no advantage to playing at the Barclays Center.

My preference would be to avoid these crappy local tournaments and instead play 1 quality opponent on the road and 1 home game at CA.  Get more home and homes against quasi rivals.

I would love to have home and home relationships with Cal, VCU, and Temple.  Seems mutually beneficial.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 05:01:10 PM by Gray Chudney »

TONYD3

« Reply #81 on: June 12, 2018, 06:00:18 PM »
I work close by and I will have fun. But why play in this shitty tournament? Maybe their will be 1500 fans.

But playing in the Barclays Center has proven to be a total zero for us.  I'd prefer we never play there again unless it is included in the season ticket package.  Otherwise, it will be very poorly attended.

It's a Tournament.  The event chooses the site.  Would you prefer they play in Boston?

I would prefer that they play in Boston versus having a mostly empty arena located 10 miles from campus.  Our fans do not show up for these games and it reflects poorly on the program.  Other than travel logistics, there is no advantage to playing at the Barclays Center.

My preference would be to avoid these crappy local tournaments and instead play 1 quality opponent on the road and 1 home game at CA.  Get more home and homes against quasi rivals.

I would love to have home and home relationships with Cal, VCU, and Temple.  Seems mutually beneficial.
Agree with 1st paragraph. Not second. No reason to play any of these teams. They aren’t good.  And no one cares. No reason to want to play a decent team on campus. Playing temple on campus in front of 4000 people doesn’t make sense.
As strong as our schedule was by the computer rankings, our home schedule sucked. We played a few games on campus at 9:00. We only played a few games at the garden which included Iona.
This year we play a crappy Princeton team in the holiday festival, I believe on a football Sunday. I will probably go. My friends wouldn’t want to.
If the goal is to be NY’s team and charge what they charge. The schedule doesn’t have to be harder but it has be more interesting.
Need to play either UCONN or cuse every year. Why should nova play either in a sellout in the garden? ND and West Virginia draw fans also.
Need to play duke, Michigan, Ohio state, or another big state school that will draw fans every year. Easily make the holiday festival a sellout.

QuanMan

« Reply #82 on: June 12, 2018, 06:01:59 PM »
Andy Katz interview with Mullin included within the article linked below, good national exposure continues to build hype for next year-

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2018-06-12/college-basketball-john-beilein-says-he-plans-finish-career
Section 3
Section 116

« Reply #83 on: June 12, 2018, 09:02:53 PM »

What difference does it make where the Tourney is?  If they played in Atlantis they wouldn't draw flies either.

The opponents are determined year or 2 in advance so sometimes you can't predict if they will be good or not. 

Lastly playing in NY area gives opportunity for SJU and lesser extent Temple fans an easier opportunity to see them play.

« Reply #84 on: June 12, 2018, 09:18:31 PM »
The opponents are fine. I suggested home/home series with them.

The problem is the negative optics of having a neutral site tournament in NYC where fewer than 2,000 SJU fans attend.

« Reply #85 on: June 12, 2018, 09:25:27 PM »

The problem is the negative optics of having a neutral site tournament in NYC where fewer than 2,000 SJU fans attend.

Home and home vs a Tourney?  Who cares?  It's the same opponents and SJU does not pick the field.  And it is an exempt tourney, you don't get to pick the same one's every year that is not how it works.  My guess is VCU and Temple will draw some fans

Also way too big a deal about weak crowds at Barclays. 

redslope

« Reply #86 on: June 12, 2018, 10:56:18 PM »

Home and home vs a Tourney?  Who cares?  It's the same opponents and SJU does not pick the field.  And it is an exempt tourney, you don't get to pick the same one's every year that is not how it works.  My guess is VCU and Temple will draw some fans

Also way too big a deal about weak crowds at Barclays. 

The Barclay is near/walking distance to good bars and restaurants and there is near by free street parking for those who have to drive unlike the $40 lots near the Garden.  Barclay has better food than the Garden.

TONYD3

« Reply #87 on: June 13, 2018, 12:33:47 PM »
We played penn state at the Barclays a few years ago. Bought a ticket for 10 bucks out front and sat row 1 center court. The arena will be 20 percent full at best. Big time basketball!
Seton hall has a great schedule. Just added home and home with Maryland. Also playing Kentucky and Louisville.

I believe seton either played a big time opponent last year or this year at the garden.

« Reply #88 on: June 13, 2018, 02:15:53 PM »
Favored Johnny venue order:

1) Alumni Hall
2) Barclay's
3) Wmf arena

Marillac

« Reply #89 on: June 14, 2018, 02:19:35 PM »
Good OOC schedule unlike what many have posted. @ #2 Duke and Rutgers, Ga Tech in Miami, and Cal + VCU or Temple on a neutral court. I wouldn't mind seeing one more good team at home or on a neutral court.   

goredmen

« Reply #90 on: June 15, 2018, 12:12:19 AM »
Good OOC schedule unlike what many have posted. @ #2 Duke and Rutgers, Ga Tech in Miami, and Cal + VCU or Temple on a neutral court. I wouldn't mind seeing one more good team at home or on a neutral court.   

Obviously the Duke game is as good of a non-conference game as one could play, but the rest of that schedule isn't good. It may not be terrible but it's not good.

Rutgers, G Tech, Cal, and VCU won't be anywhere near the NCAA Tournament conversation this year. Temple will be a bubble team at best. Playing only one at large caliber NCAA Tournament team in the non-conference could be problematic come March if our resume is lacking in quality wins.

« Reply #91 on: June 15, 2018, 08:29:13 AM »

Obviously the Duke game is as good of a non-conference game as one could play, but the rest of that schedule isn't good. It may not be terrible but it's not good.

Rutgers, G Tech, Cal, and VCU won't be anywhere near the NCAA Tournament conversation this year. Temple will be a bubble team at best. Playing only one at large caliber NCAA Tournament team in the non-conference could be problematic come March if our resume is lacking in quality wins.

Spot on. With a schedule like this, gonna have to finish top 5 in the Big East to get the call.

« Reply #92 on: June 15, 2018, 01:32:59 PM »
The schedule is not bad, could be better but again SJU consistently schedules solidly.  Some of the team, see VCU, Georgia Tech are not bad to have on a schedule but they may have down years.  Sometimes that happens.

We do this every year in terms of criticizing before the games are played.  For example the Nebraska game last year looked weak, turned out to be a decent win after all.  Let's see how things shake out. 

Marillac

« Reply #93 on: June 15, 2018, 05:27:51 PM »

Spot on. With a schedule like this, gonna have to finish top 5 in the Big East to get the call.

You just can't make blanket statements like that. What if they go 12-1 in the OOC and then finish 7th with a 9-9 record like Butler did. 21 wins going into the B.E.T. is a ticket to the dance.

« Reply #94 on: June 15, 2018, 05:40:33 PM »

You just can't make blanket statements like that. What if they go 12-1 in the OOC and then finish 7th with a 9-9 record like Butler did. 21 wins going into the B.E.T. is a ticket to the dance.
Not necessarily if the BE has a down season

Marillac

« Reply #95 on: June 15, 2018, 07:25:41 PM »

Please show me evidence of a big six school getting left out after finishing 21-10 with a decent RPI (which we are guaranteed with 11 quality road games and three neutral court games). I'll save you the time...it's never happened.

« Reply #96 on: June 16, 2018, 01:28:35 AM »

Please show me evidence of a big six school getting left out after finishing 21-10 with a decent RPI (which we are guaranteed with 11 quality road games and three neutral court games). I'll save you the time...it's never happened.
You're living in the past. I'm not the one who came up with quadrants. OOC weak and if BE is down 21-10 does not guarantee tourney and where are you coming up with 11 quality road games? If BE is down surely you are not counting all 9 as quality road games are you (though granted it is tough to win on road in conf but if you want to be a good team and rate as an NCAA T team you should win a couple or 3).

« Reply #97 on: June 16, 2018, 09:50:25 AM »
Ive seen worse. A lot worse. The last game could make a difference.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 09:51:20 AM by Amaseinyourface2 »
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Marillac

« Reply #98 on: June 19, 2018, 01:21:21 PM »

You're living in the past. I'm not the one who came up with quadrants. OOC weak and if BE is down 21-10 does not guarantee tourney and where are you coming up with 11 quality road games? If BE is down surely you are not counting all 9 as quality road games are you (though granted it is tough to win on road in conf but if you want to be a good team and rate as an NCAA T team you should win a couple or 3).

With all due respect, you are the one living in the past on this issue.  Our scheduling of showcase games like in LA last year and in Miami this year is directly related to the new quadrant classification system.

Other than maybe Depaul every road game in the Big East will be a quadrant 1 or 2 game, and even Depaul will likely squeak into quadrant 2 (76-135 RPI in road games) with Max Strus back next to Eli Cain.  Quadrant 1 and 2 are by definition quality road games. 

Playing in the Big East, even in what I expect to be a relatively down year compared to last season, added to playing @ #2 Duke and @ Rutgers as well as three neutral court games guarantees us a very good SOS and RPI.  Wins will be what decides what side of the bubble this team falls on. 

QuanMan

« Reply #99 on: June 19, 2018, 01:59:06 PM »
Is Goff's replacement going to impede our last OOC game from being finalized? Hoping its a marquee MSG game or even a cupcake CA game, you would think we'd need a AD to finalize the logistics. NCAA new year is 7/1.
Section 3
Section 116