Moe and the 2012 Draft

• 982 replies
Re: Moe and the 2012 Draft
« Reply #80 on: March 08, 2012, 10:42:42 PM »
Moe will most likely end up being a SF in the NBA, but that is actually a problem at this stage because he doesn't shoot well enough to play that position in the pros.  It would be nice to see him come back for another year, work on perfecting that 15-18 foot jump shot, and end up being a top 10 pick in 2013.

Bingo.  He needs to shoot better from distance.  I am not trashing Mo but look at where he got his points this year?  Put backs and little chippy things that he'll never get in the NBA because he will get muscled off the ball.  He needs to develop his body, develop his shot, and find his niche a bit more (which I think can be something between a 3/4 because he can rebound) before moving to the league. 

Will he be a top 10 pick after his soph season?  Who knows!  If Jakarr comes it takes some production away so its difficult to gauge.  I'm no draft expert but looking at the deep class due to the lockout, the massive growth a player goes through between fresh/soph seasons, and the time he can work with Dunlap and Rico...its not even a decision in my book.  He needs to stay and we'll see a first rounder.  I do think that if he stays two more years that he can end up being a top 10 for sure.  Mind you, he didn't prep a year (did his sr yr of high school NOT a post grad year) so he's a true true freshman.  Plenty of time to make the $$$!

Marillac

« Reply #81 on: March 08, 2012, 11:00:24 PM »
I take Quincy Miller over Moe all day every day.  He's an inch taller, more athletic, just as long if not longer, and he is a better shooter and more consistent player.  It's really close, but he definitely does have an advantage.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 11:00:54 PM by Marillac »

Moose

« Reply #82 on: March 08, 2012, 11:03:20 PM »
I take Quincy Miller over Moe all day every day.  He's an inch taller, more athletic, just as long if not longer, and he is a better shooter and more consistent player.  It's really close, but he definitely does have an advantage.

An inch taller?
Seriously?
Tape measure?

Hahaha

I agree with the rest of what you said.
Remember who broke the Slice news

desco80

« Reply #83 on: March 08, 2012, 11:07:09 PM »
Moe will most likely end up being a SF in the NBA, but that is actually a problem at this stage because he doesn't shoot well enough to play that position in the pros.  It would be nice to see him come back for another year, work on perfecting that 15-18 foot jump shot, and end up being a top 10 pick in 2013.

Bingo.  He needs to shoot better from distance.  I am not trashing Mo but look at where he got his points this year?  Put backs and little chippy things that he'll never get in the NBA because he will get muscled off the ball.  He needs to develop his body, develop his shot, and find his niche a bit more (which I think can be something between a 3/4 because he can rebound) before moving to the league. 

Will he be a top 10 pick after his soph season?  Who knows!  If Jakarr comes it takes some production away so its difficult to gauge.  I'm no draft expert but looking at the deep class due to the lockout, the massive growth a player goes through between fresh/soph seasons, and the time he can work with Dunlap and Rico...its not even a decision in my book.  He needs to stay and we'll see a first rounder.  I do think that if he stays two more years that he can end up being a top 10 for sure.  Mind you, he didn't prep a year (did his sr yr of high school NOT a post grad year) so he's a true true freshman.  Plenty of time to make the $$$!

I think you're both on the money.

Moe's future at the next level is on the perimeter, he needs to develop a real tight handle, and become a much more consistent outside shooter.   I'm not too worried about him getting out muscled - he's not going to be battling centers, and he'll bulk up over time.  Our staff is helping him now I'm sure.
But ball handling skills and outside shooting are what makes or breaks SFs in the NBA.    There's no question Moe gets there, but how well he prospers will come down to those two areas IMO.

« Reply #84 on: March 08, 2012, 11:11:51 PM »

Moot point considering you don't work for a NBA team.

Geez, its marillacs opinion! you dont have to agree

Marillac

« Reply #85 on: March 08, 2012, 11:28:09 PM »

Moot point considering you don't work for a NBA team.

Geez, its marillacs opinion! you dont have to agree

I hate those posts.  Let's just shutdown the sports blogs because none of us are professionals. 

Moose,  I'm just going off of the listings.  In high school Q was listed at 6'9 and 6'10, Moe at 6'7and 6'8...sometimes even 6'6.  In college Q is listed at 6'9 and Moe at 6'8. 

NYCoffey

« Reply #86 on: March 09, 2012, 10:42:40 AM »
I just saw that LeBryan Nash said he is going to return to Ok State next season. According to rush the court he was projected to be a late 1st rounder like Mo. Hopefully Mo does the same and comes back.

desco80

« Reply #87 on: March 09, 2012, 11:06:19 AM »

An inch taller?
Seriously?
Tape measure?

Hahaha

The heights might be comparable but Miller has a ridiculous wing span.   The kid has arms that hang down to his ankles.   
So even if they're only an inch apart height wise... I think his reach is a sizeable advantage that scouts will look at.

But - it's also worth noting that in their game against K State yesterday in the Big 12 tournament Miller scored 2 points in 20 minutes.   

« Reply #88 on: March 09, 2012, 12:11:33 PM »

An inch taller?
Seriously?
Tape measure?

Hahaha

The heights might be comparable but Miller has a ridiculous wing span.   The kid has arms that hang down to his ankles.   
So even if they're only an inch apart height wise... I think his reach is a sizeable advantage that scouts will look at.

But - it's also worth noting that in their game against K State yesterday in the Big 12 tournament Miller scored 2 points in 20 minutes.   

have you seen moes arms? They go for days! And fwiw i would take moe over quincy.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

derk

« Reply #89 on: March 09, 2012, 03:53:26 PM »

I agree. Would really like to see him stay 2 more years. That Junior team could be Final Four bound. Crazy for him to go now. Someone used the example of Devin Ebanks. Want to be hugging the pines for 2 years or gaining valuable experience for a great career ?

boo3

« Reply #90 on: March 09, 2012, 08:40:37 PM »
   Steve Lavin ‏ @STJCoachLavin 
Maurice Harkless with great options. NBA stock is rising. He can return to STJ to hoop or realize dream of playin in the NBA. Happy for Mo!

Moose

« Reply #91 on: March 09, 2012, 09:09:03 PM »
Maurice Harkless with great options. NBA stock is rising. He can return to STJ to hoop or realize dream of playin in the NBA. Happy for Mo!

Eh????

paultzman

« Reply #92 on: March 09, 2012, 09:52:20 PM »

Noticed another tweet of Lavin touting NBA connection re coaches and players he sent to the League. Is he sending a message to a particular recruit or preparing us for Moe's departure? Interesting!

Eh????

Marillac

« Reply #93 on: March 10, 2012, 12:06:30 AM »
Moe is coming back.  It just doesn't make sense to leave.  You don't develop at the end of the bench on an NBA team, and that is where he'll be for two years with his frame and shooting ability.  He might slip into the second round with all of the NBA ready upperclassmen and the incredible amount of young, lengthy talent this year.

I think Lav is just being a master recruiter.  Honestly, this is win-win from a recruit's standpoint:  Lavin produces yet another NBA player or more minutes to be had :)

desco80

« Reply #94 on: March 10, 2012, 12:43:41 AM »
Moe is coming back.  It just doesn't make sense to leave.  You don't develop at the end of the bench on an NBA team, and that is where he'll be for two years with his frame and shooting ability.  He might slip into the second round with all of the NBA ready upperclassmen and the incredible amount of young, lengthy talent this year.

I think Lav is just being a master recruiter.  Honestly, this is win-win from a recruit's standpoint:  Lavin produces yet another NBA player or more minutes to be had :)

I want Moe back too.  But I don't think that's true at all.   Think about it:  are you going to improve more when you have to split time between classes and basketball or when you work on your game and body 8 hours a day?     When you have access to coaches 24/7 all year round, or when the NCAA limits you to 2hrs of practice a day from November till March and prevents you from practicing with coaches all summer?
We rightfully brag that 3 of our coaches have NBA experience; guess what... every coach on an NBA staff has NBA experience.
At the end of the day it's the equivalent of working at basketball full-time versus part-time.  To me there's no question you improve more as a player in the NBA, whether you're starting or not.
Would this even be a question in other sports?   Nobody doubts that prospects improve more with the Yankees pitching coaches in the minor leagues, or the Giants O-line staff, then they would've with their colleges.   The nba is no different.  Part-time athletics v. full-time.

Now there's still a huge difference in guaranteed money between the bottom of the 1st round and the lottery.  So for that reason I think it makes sense for Moe to return, unless he knows he'll be drafted 15 or above.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 12:46:51 AM by desco80 »

« Reply #95 on: March 10, 2012, 05:36:00 AM »
If he leaves NJ Nets better jump on the local kid late in the first round....sorry Brooklyn Nets.

« Reply #96 on: March 10, 2012, 11:49:58 AM »
If he leaves NJ Nets better jump on the local kid late in the first round....sorry Brooklyn Nets.

To me that would be the next best outcome for us.   A chance to see him develop into a marquee player locally.  The Knicks already have the fabulous Melo, best half a player around, to play the 3.

Moose

« Reply #97 on: March 10, 2012, 11:53:20 AM »

Nets have 15th pick right now.  Right in the middle of round.

boo3

« Reply #98 on: March 10, 2012, 12:08:28 PM »

Nets have 15th pick right now.  Right in the middle of round.

That will be Orlando's pick by the draft.

« Reply #99 on: March 10, 2012, 03:10:44 PM »
Give me 10 guys you take over H
Anyone else think he is a top 10 pick right now? His potential is off the charts. Although next year, he's the # 1 pick imo

Are you insane?

Give me 10 guys you take over Harkless

Anthony Davis
Michael Kidd Gilchrest
Harrison Barnes
Thomas Robinson
Cody Zeller
Terrance Jones
Tyler Zeller

I don't want to start writing guards because it all depends on needs.  Not every teams is going to draft a 3, 4 or 5.  Some will need 1 and 2's so these bigs will drop.

For starters, Moe is better than Zeller or Jones