Who Transfers?

• 575 replies

Johnny23

Re: Who Transfers?
« Reply #60 on: March 10, 2016, 11:44:06 PM »
It would make no sense for Jones to transfer now. He's finally become a decent BE level player and could be a valuable backup for this squad next year.

« Reply #61 on: March 11, 2016, 12:28:50 AM »
I'm pretty sure that top notch poster Moose doesn't have any eligibility left.

« Reply #62 on: March 11, 2016, 07:15:57 AM »
I would have said Jones, but maybe not. He has improved. He still has a lot to work on. I think needs more game experience. He needs to get better at seeing the court and moving the ball. It's a glaring weakness. With Lovett getting some easy ones, he could be a lot closer to the Glover type of baller that we've seen glimpses of this year.

Maybe Amar? Maybe Ellison? Maybe Mussini? I don't think of Yakwe or Sima leaving, but you never know.

This may mean nothing, but  I cant remember a big man we've had -- unless were counting DJ -- in the last ten years who was a better passer than Jones. Not saying hes Pau Gasol but he has pretty good passing skills for a big man. Turns it over way to much but honestly I think hes the best play maker we have, or had.

Needs better court awareness. He gets stripped often.

Absolutely, happens way too often and I think part of it is just his hands. I was just noting his passing though, which never gets any credit.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Foad

« Reply #63 on: March 11, 2016, 08:29:34 AM »
I want to win. I don't think any of these 4 next year are big east level players. Maybe Ellison can be a backup. I hope our new guys are much better. If these 4 were better we would have won more games.

Lavin's #3 ranked class that included 2 NBA players and the third leading scorer in school history won 13 games as freshmen.
I am aware of that .  I have no faith in these 4 to win any games. I am hoping the freshman keep these Guys on the bench .

If you were aware that the #3 class in the country won 13 games as freshmen, why would you say "if these 4 were better we would have won more games." Because the evidence is that if they were significantly better we would have only won a couple more games.

I don't know how anyone who has watched college basketball for any length of time could think that having freshmen is a recipe for success or even wants to watch freshmen play. Freshmen are awful. If you want to watch freshmen win lots of games you better move to Kentucky, that's the only place it happens.

Foad

« Reply #64 on: March 11, 2016, 08:33:29 AM »
Jakarr never made it here with that class, came the next year. Moe was 1 and done. Class did not come intact and they cannot be judged that way. Even shorthanded they beat ND, Cinci, WV, and UCLA. 

Okay, they can't be judged by the their record. How can I judge them. Should I say they're all dream boats? That Dom Pointer had soulful blue eyes that I could swim around in for days? That Obekpa's sculpted thighs reminded me M's David? Other than that what could I say about them that you would approve of? Because you sound like a school girl with a crush, it's embarrassing.

Foad

« Reply #65 on: March 11, 2016, 08:35:23 AM »
Four great games does not change my opinion of him.  :)

All senior years except Jones, who played ~300 minutes total of D1 basketball before this year and 125 over the past two. Sometimes the light bulb just goes on.

Lamont Hamilton 13.4 / 6.5
Brownlee 12.3 / 5.2
Cuffe 11.2 / 7.2
Glover 10.3 / 4.6
Jones 8.5 / 5.2
Orlando Sanchez 7.4 / 5.6
Justin Burrell 6.3 / 4.9 (BE 6th man of the year)

Eff Yea!!

Forgot one:

Jakarr Sampson 12.8 / 6.1

Chilleb

« Reply #66 on: March 11, 2016, 08:44:04 AM »
Amar... Not a big east player

Foad

« Reply #67 on: March 11, 2016, 09:10:17 AM »

How dare you say that about the gem of Lavin's French Riviera recruiting trip. I suppose you think gyms in Iowa and Indiana are full of lanky uncoordinated mushroom haired stretch fours. You'll take that back if you know what's good for you.

« Reply #68 on: March 11, 2016, 09:16:02 AM »

I always find this funny. Was Rob Cornegy, Steve Shurina, Rob Cornegy or Sean Muto Big East players? Unless you are Kentucky or Kansas you do not have a McDonald's All American as your 10-13 guy. Those guys were that on good ST John's teams. Next year will not be a very good ST John's team. Amar won't play, I don't think Mussini should be a starter on a good BE team, Jones either but they got a scholie from a BIG EAST team so they are BE players

« Reply #69 on: March 11, 2016, 09:17:38 AM »
Both Amar and Jones will struggle to get playing time next year with Owens, Freudenberg, and Williams in the rotation. Will be interesting to see how things shake out. I personally hope Amar stays and I'm on the fence with Jones.

I think Amar year 1 to 2 saw a great deal of improvement and I foresee him making another modest jump next year with physical maturity and him really embracing a pick and pop role. I like what he brings to the team as far as energy and leadership too. I'm a big believer that is infectious just as negativity is too.

Jones has redeeming qualities. His midrange shot is really nice and his face up, jab, and spin is near automatic. It's when he has his back to the basket he throws the ball at the backboard recklessly or gets his pocket picked. Defensively though is where he is the biggest liability. He has absolutely know concept or awareness of where he should be on the floor. I'd really sit him down and tell him there may be stretches where he's gonna play a lot and stretches where he's gonna sit. If he's cool with buying into being team player than keep him because he's a big body who's capable. If he wants to be the man have him transfer and play somewhere back in Texas.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

QuanMan

« Reply #70 on: March 11, 2016, 09:50:04 AM »
Section 3
Section 116

« Reply #71 on: March 11, 2016, 10:08:44 AM »

paultzman

« Reply #72 on: March 11, 2016, 10:13:30 AM »
Slice
Hearing the same Moose.

That would be a bad loss

Especially if compounded by promoting Mitch. We need infusion of college coaching experience in my opinion.

« Reply #73 on: March 11, 2016, 10:28:36 AM »
Heard, through the grapevine, some interesting\familiar names who could be transferring in but losing slice would be awful. Ouch
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 10:50:28 AM by shaun1345 »

goredmen

« Reply #74 on: March 11, 2016, 10:48:29 AM »
Slice
Hearing the same Moose.

Why would he leave a nice cushy job on the Kentucky staff to come here just to leave after one season?

« Reply #75 on: March 11, 2016, 10:50:31 AM »
Slice
Hearing the same Moose.

Why would he leave a nice cushy job on the Kentucky staff to come here just to leave after one season?

Good question
I have no info but perception would be he does not think a quick turnaround is coming and doesn't want to be associated with the losing or he doesn't think he could succeed here recruiting.
Again based on nothing but if happens w/o a reason that would be the perception unfortunately.

goredmen

« Reply #76 on: March 11, 2016, 11:01:29 AM »
Slice
Hearing the same Moose.

Good question
I have no info but perception would be he does not think a quick turnaround is coming and doesn't want to be associated with the losing or he doesn't think he could succeed here recruiting.
Again based on nothing but if happens w/o a reason that would be the perception unfortunately.

Yep, agree. Him leaving would be pretty bad from a fan/national perception level. He wouldn't leave if he "trusted the process" and was confident we would be able to build a consistent winner here

Foad

« Reply #77 on: March 11, 2016, 11:09:45 AM »
Good grief, I turn my back for a second and the sky is falling again.

« Reply #78 on: March 11, 2016, 11:15:43 AM »

Not my style, but that would be a really bad loss. Most of the hope for the future is getting good players and Slice was going to be huge part of that. He gave our recruiting legitimacy

Wods317

« Reply #79 on: March 11, 2016, 11:18:17 AM »

Not my style, but that would be a really bad loss. Most of the hope for the future is getting good players and Slice was going to be huge part of that. He gave our recruiting legitimacy

Would be a shocking turn of events. He left Kentucky for us which is basically the best recruiting job in the country. Unless he is getting a head coaching job this is bizarre. Why would he leave a close friend like Mullin hanging after one year? Guess we will see how this plays out.