Butler

• 328 replies

Poison

Re: Butler
« Reply #240 on: December 29, 2016, 11:16:23 PM »
Do we have a chance ?

You already won shitpost of the year, no need for the late entry.

Lol

cjfish

« Reply #241 on: December 29, 2016, 11:19:08 PM »
Just got back from the game.  A few things:

1.  Loved Mullin pressing Butler.  Made them uncomfortable even if it didn't result in turnovers.

2.  Ponds.  Enough.  He will have bad games given how much we expect from him, but those are the ones that we need Lovett, Mussini, Ellison, etc to contribute more.

3.  Lovett with the huge step back shot.  Onions.

4.  Williams can and should get some burn.  6 points and 6 boards.

5.  Ahmed can drive you nuts with some of the drives into traffics and turnovers, but is developing as a nice scoring option and playing better D.

6.  Can't believe that we won shooting a terrible percentage from 3 and with only 5 assists.

7.  We can easily lose to Depaul on Sunday.  Cain and Garrett's size will give our guards problems.  People on this board kill Garrett but he has moments where he can play really well.  Good thing is that this team isn't in a position to look past anyone.

8.  Last - I realize that none of us can predict what a young kid might do at season's end, especially with advisors, parents, etc in their ear.  But as someone who sat close to the bench tonight, I'll say this.  All of the kids who supposed may not be here next year where into the game and ecstatic at their teammates success; Lovett ran a huddle at the end of the game and gave a speech to his teammates; Mussini was grinning ear to ear; Ellison had a smile you couldn't rip off; Yawke was jumping up and down like a maniac.   With Sima, you could tell after the Fordham game that he was not into this.  All of these kids, right now, seemingly are.

RE DePaul, Our quickness will give the DePaul guards significantly more problems than their size will give us.  2 impressive games in a row.....Ponds is a future NBA guy......Team lookin impressive, gonna win some ballgames......defense getting there.....gotta play Williams.....I guess this will hopefully put an end to all the negative issues re the Staff, they are doing a great job with a young team
« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 11:26:33 PM by cjfish »

TONYD3

« Reply #242 on: December 29, 2016, 11:20:15 PM »
Do we have a chance ?

You already won shitpost of the year, no need for the late entry.

Lol
I believed the entire time. You are the hater
« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 11:20:36 PM by TONYD3 »

Dan

« Reply #243 on: December 29, 2016, 11:24:23 PM »
Wow things have changed

« Reply #244 on: December 29, 2016, 11:40:07 PM »
Took a peak at the Butler board for shits and gigs:

From one of their posters

"At first I was only kinda shocked St. John's scouted us so well, but now I'm completely baffled how well they scouted and executed their game plan. They guarded Martin hard and keyed in on him. Made Chrabs be a passer and made everyone else beat us. Recognized Lewis is a passer. Took 3's when they were there, but attacked us off the dribble on offense. Also, hit the glass. Well done Johnnies. I certainly didn't think you had it in you, but regardless, we still should have won..."

Maybe Mullin and co DO KNOW what they're doing?
Who....knew?

« Reply #245 on: December 29, 2016, 11:41:53 PM »
Wow things have changed

Couple of wins will do that

« Reply #246 on: December 29, 2016, 11:57:08 PM »
The Johnnies only had their biggest win on campus in 33 years  :)

What makes you say that?

desco80

« Reply #247 on: December 30, 2016, 12:02:03 AM »
Looking at the box score.... 5 turnovers by Ellison tonight?  Didn't realize he had that many, but he's definitely got to cut those down.

This actually was a game where we didn't even play our best, and still fought hard for a nice win.

I thought we played with good intensity defensively, but did a poor job switching out of mismatches.   Too many times they ran picks and ended up getting one of our guards on #45 or another Frontline player.   And then it was an easy post up with the height advantage.

Good win.  And areas where we can get even better. 

« Reply #248 on: December 30, 2016, 12:13:59 AM »
Yessss!!! A fantastic way to begin the day.

Poison

« Reply #249 on: December 30, 2016, 12:21:39 AM »
Looking at the box score.... 5 turnovers by Ellison tonight?  Didn't realize he had that many, but he's definitely got to cut those down.

This actually was a game where we didn't even play our best, and still fought hard for a nice win.

I thought we played with good intensity defensively, but did a poor job switching out of mismatches.   Too many times they ran picks and ended up getting one of our guards on #45 or another Frontline player.   And then it was an easy post up with the height advantage.

LoVett didn't start and Ellison began the game running the offense, or trying to. I think he's made big strides overall. Still a WIP, but he played solid defense again tonight. He's starting to understand what is expected of him at this level. Good for him.

Why LoVett didn't start I have no idea, but Ponds is the best point guard on the team. He's probably the best everything on the team.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 02:37:31 AM by Poison »

« Reply #250 on: December 30, 2016, 12:21:40 AM »

Agreed, thought the energy on D was great. Kids were flying all over the place, seemed like butler players were consistently surprised to see someone already on them.

goredmen

« Reply #251 on: December 30, 2016, 12:30:49 AM »

LoVett didn't start and Ellison began the game running the offense, or trying to. I think he's made big strides overall. Still a WIP, but he played solid defense again tonight. He's starting to understand what is expected of him at this level. Good for him.

Why LoVett didn't I have no idea, but Ponds is the best point guard on the team. He's probably the best everything on the team.

We are better without Ponds being the point guard. He should be the guy the point guard gets the ball to

« Reply #252 on: December 30, 2016, 12:41:16 AM »

Need to work on subbing. I thought Amar played too much down the stretch.  And I was surprised when Ahmed was sent to the bench in the closing minutes.

« Reply #253 on: December 30, 2016, 12:42:29 AM »
I was at the game and there was an odd exchange from Lovett and Mullin that worried me tonight.
Lovett got taken out and Mullin tried to talk to him or coach him up and Lovett just completely brushed him off and even moved Mullin's hands away from him and just sat down on the bench.

Could of just been regular frustration and nothing to make a note of but it was definitely an odd exchange and Mullin as soon as moved on from it the minute Lovett sat down as if it was a regular occurrence.

I dont want to start rumors or start speculating but I'm genuinely curious if anyone knows of some growing tension between Lovett and Mullin and/or coaching staff and if that has anything to do with the annoying rumors and chatter that he has one foot out the door.

goredmen

« Reply #254 on: December 30, 2016, 12:43:44 AM »
FWIW, KenPom's win probability graph had Butler at > 95% chance to win when they were up 5 with just under 3 minutes left. Really is amazing that our young team was able to dig down and take down a more experienced team and make the big plays needed to get the win.

Now don't blow this by coming out flat against DePaul Sunday

« Reply #255 on: December 30, 2016, 12:49:21 AM »
I was at the game and there was an odd exchange from Lovett and Mullin that worried me tonight.
Lovett got taken out and Mullin tried to talk to him or coach him up and Lovett just completely brushed him off and even moved Mullin's hands away from him and just sat down on the bench.

Could of just been regular frustration and nothing to make a note of but it was definitely an odd exchange and Mullin as soon as moved on from it the minute Lovett sat down as if it was a regular occurrence.

I dont want to start rumors or start speculating but I'm genuinely curious if anyone knows of some growing tension between Lovett and Mullin and/or coaching staff and if that has anything to do with the annoying rumors and chatter that he has one foot out the door.

I didn't see that, but did note that one other point they were chatting and clearly laughing with each other.

What I did find odd was that at start of 2nd half, Lovett was not in game and was also not on the bench.  There happened to be an early break in play about 90 seconds into game and Lovett came running out from the side doors just in time to pull off his shooting shirt and get subbed in.

Maybe he was dropping a deuce in the toilet.  2pts !!!

I found it more concerning he didn't start but still had 29 minutes
« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 12:55:33 AM by RedStormNC »

« Reply #256 on: December 30, 2016, 12:54:25 AM »

I saw it too. Def caught my attention.

That said Mullin seems to have a habit of putting his hands on the player's chest as they come back to the bench. I've never like that

« Reply #257 on: December 30, 2016, 01:00:47 AM »
Good win.  Offense stalled in last 5-6 minutes but smart defense and Ponds won the game

Ponds, Ellison and Owens. Great plays down the stretch

Don't forget that huge shot by Lovett

Yes. Great game from Mullin down to Williams. No complaints

Williams looked great tonight. In MMA they say "styles make fights" and the different styles
are also valuable  in basketball. Williams was the only hope we had against Wideman. The kid surely looks dopey trying to defend in space against skilled players, but he's damn good bodying up power players in the paint. He had a few slow rotations but that is expected with his lack of other thus far.

New rule for 2017: Owens can't take jumpers in the second half.
And, with respect to Williams. . .he obviously listens to coaches. . .didnt bite once on following his man out to top of key
« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 01:09:59 AM by section3 »

« Reply #258 on: December 30, 2016, 01:05:03 AM »

I saw it too. Def caught my attention.

That said Mullin seems to have a habit of putting his hands on the player's chest as they come back to the bench. I've never like that
Would be a BIGGER issue if he coached the women's team.

« Reply #259 on: December 30, 2016, 01:14:35 AM »
The atmosphere at CA was a walk down memory lane. Packed house and highly engaged crowd.

I remarked to my buddies at halftime that this is the type of game that we need to win - one in which we are not overwhelming our opponent thru lights out shooting. We competed for 40 minutes and hopefully learned what it takes to win in a conference like the BE.

One other observation - Lovett didn't look like a kid thinking about leaving. He was into it and constantly trying to get the crowd revved up.

Oh and by the way - Ponds was incredible.

Great night!!!!!