18-19 Season

• 256 replies

Marillac

Re: 18-19 Season
« Reply #100 on: June 19, 2018, 02:07:16 PM »
Is Goff's replacement going to impede our last OOC game from being finalized? Hoping its a marquee MSG game or even a cupcake CA game, you would think we'd need a AD to finalize the logistics. NCAA new year is 7/1.

Scheduling is typically handled by the DOBO under the direction of the head coach.  AD's are very rarely involved.

« Reply #101 on: June 19, 2018, 02:15:42 PM »
Is Goff's replacement going to impede our last OOC game from being finalized? Hoping its a marquee MSG game or even a cupcake CA game, you would think we'd need a AD to finalize the logistics. NCAA new year is 7/1.

Scheduling is typically handled by the DOBO under the direction of the head coach.  AD's are very rarely involved.

Marillac is correct. 

When I coached scheduling was handled by yours truly and what we called a "sport supervisor" which is likely akin to a "dobo".  The Ad was not really involved in the process.

QuanMan

« Reply #102 on: June 19, 2018, 03:13:00 PM »

Marillac is correct. 

When I coached scheduling was handled by yours truly and what we called a "sport supervisor" which is likely akin to a "dobo".  The Ad was not really involved in the process.

Do we need an AD employed to finalize anything?
Section 3
Section 116

goredmen

« Reply #103 on: June 19, 2018, 10:12:35 PM »
http://www.redstormsports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/061918aaa.html

Opener is Nov 6 vs Loyola MD, followed by Bowling Green on Nov 9.

SJUFAN

« Reply #104 on: June 20, 2018, 02:14:35 PM »

Marillac is correct. 

Do we need an AD employed to finalize anything?

Is Goff out? I haven't seen anything stating that.

goredmen

« Reply #105 on: July 02, 2018, 05:47:54 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xX_eRdap7ZI

If you are interested to see how we are perceived outside of this SJU bubble, a couple dudes do a podcast where they break down 2 teams for about 20-30 mins each. They tackled SJU starting around the 32:50 mark.

Overall nothing crazy said here, they seemed to be fairly knowledgable about the team and players after doing their research for this. One guy projected 2nd place finish with Heron and 5th without, the other projected 3rd/6th. Both agreed lock NCAAT team with Heron, and should be on the right side of the bubble without.

TONYD3

« Reply #106 on: July 02, 2018, 07:01:54 PM »

If you are interested to see how we are perceived outside of this SJU bubble, a couple dudes do a podcast where they break down 2 teams for about 20-30 mins each. They tackled SJU starting around the 32:50 mark.

Overall nothing crazy said here, they seemed to be fairly knowledgable about the team and players after doing their research for this. One guy projected 2nd place finish with Heron and 5th without, the other projected 3rd/6th. Both agreed lock NCAAT team with Heron, and should be on the right side of the bubble without.
They seemed high on keita which was very positive for me.

Poison

« Reply #107 on: July 05, 2018, 09:28:25 AM »

They seemed high on keita which was very positive for me.

I can’t think of any St.John’s recruit who a St.John’s staff wasn’t high on.

Gotta see for ourselves who is working hard this summer to get ready for the season. It’s not just about Heron. They really need Earlington and Roberts to be ready to contribute.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 09:28:56 AM by Poison »

QuanMan

« Reply #108 on: July 09, 2018, 01:13:10 PM »
For your Summer daydreams Vegas has us as 85/1 odds of being National Champs:

https://twitter.com/mid_madness/status/1016359444236656641
Section 3
Section 116

goredmen

« Reply #109 on: August 09, 2018, 04:24:20 PM »
Schedule released. Program is getting roasted on Twitter for how weak the schedule is, and rightfully so

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/stjo/sports/m-baskbl/auto_pdf/2018-19/schedule/schedule.pdf

« Reply #110 on: August 09, 2018, 04:25:47 PM »
Schedule released. Program is getting roasted on Twitter for how weak the schedule is, and rightfully so

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/stjo/sports/m-baskbl/auto_pdf/2018-19/schedule/schedule.pdf

Wtf is this

Foad

« Reply #111 on: August 09, 2018, 05:21:49 PM »

That's the same schedule Louie played every year except that was his regular season schedule and it includes a couple of theoretically good teams.

Poison

« Reply #112 on: August 09, 2018, 06:32:34 PM »
I think it's a little too soon to start predicting who on this schedule will be the same team they were last year, and who will improve? Rutgers lost their point guard. IDK who else. Hard to see that game being anything other than a terrible loss.

How are Georgia Tech, VCU, Cal and Temple supposed to be this coming season? I know Cal sucked last year, but they're a program that puts a winning product on the court. Temple does as well. So if any of these teams returns to their competitive ways this pre season schedule's credit changes. Too soon to tell.

I do like the idea of playing Princeton. It can help us prepare for that backdoor cut.
We should know Butler is going to do that before they do it for once. The others, I have no idea, but I think it stinks that we've singled out what is probably the two worst locals in Wagner and St.Francis. 
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 06:36:48 PM by Poison »

« Reply #113 on: August 09, 2018, 08:42:00 PM »

Hey people should not sleep on Maryville or Maryland Eastern Shore.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 08:43:19 PM by Celtics11 »

« Reply #114 on: August 09, 2018, 11:02:20 PM »
If we end up losing only a game in the OOC schedule, win 20, and get to the dance, no one will give two sh**s how hard the schedule turned out to be.  There are enough high majors, and we certainly aren't in a position to overlook anyone.

« Reply #115 on: August 09, 2018, 11:15:31 PM »
If we end up losing only a game in the OOC schedule, win 20, and get to the dance, no one will give two sh**s how hard the schedule turned out to be.  There are enough high majors, and we certainly aren't in a position to overlook anyone.
The pr in your handle doesn't stand for public relations does it? If we go 11-2 or 12-1 OOC and only 9-9 or 8-10 to get to the 20 wins doubtful we go to NCAA despite what Marillac says.

« Reply #116 on: August 09, 2018, 11:42:54 PM »
Woof awful ooc schedule.  Outside of Duke really can't afford a single slip up. Building a tournament resume is all about quality wins and outside of maybe Princeton I really don't see us having any before conference play.

« Reply #117 on: August 09, 2018, 11:55:44 PM »
I think it's a little too soon to start predicting who on this schedule will be the same team they were last year, and who will improve? Rutgers lost their point guard. IDK who else. Hard to see that game being anything other than a terrible loss.

How are Georgia Tech, VCU, Cal and Temple supposed to be this coming season? I know Cal sucked last year, but they're a program that puts a winning product on the court. Temple does as well. So if any of these teams returns to their competitive ways this pre season schedule's credit changes. Too soon to tell.

I do like the idea of playing Princeton. It can help us prepare for that backdoor cut.
We should know Butler is going to do that before they do it for once. The others, I have no idea, but I think it stinks that we've singled out what is probably the two worst locals in Wagner and St.Francis. 

Wagner was actually the NEC regular season champs last year.  Unfortunately, their top scorer (who was only a sophomore last year) decided to test his abilities at a higher level, and transferred to Richmond.  That could have been a decent game if he was back, since their second leading scorer from last year will return.

goredmen

« Reply #118 on: August 10, 2018, 12:51:43 AM »

The problem is aside from Duke there are no good wins to be had, only bad losses. That's going to be trouble. If we go any worse than 12-0 against in the 12 non-Duke OOC games it's a failure

« Reply #119 on: August 10, 2018, 07:52:58 AM »
The biggest issue I have with the scheduling, is that it doesn't give the team much room for error to start the season. And it's a team with a lot of guys who will get major minutes who have never played together.

Two or three bad OOC loses, combined with Duke and then the grueling BE schedule could bury us.

At least last season, although we lost a few OOC games, they were against decent teams and it didnt really hurt our RPI too badly.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 07:54:27 AM by redstorm212 »