I don't know what to say guys?

• 70 replies
Re: I don't know what to say guys?
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2014, 11:16:17 PM »
We now have 5 of our 8 loses, lost after having the lead with less then 4 minutes to go.  1, I can undrstand, 2 mybe but 5.  thaat all comes down to bad execution, which comes from the coaching staff.  You can say players make and dont make plays, but having the right players out there falls to Lavin, and the last 2 games our best players weren't on th ourt down the stretch.

desco80

« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2014, 11:18:23 PM »
We now have 5 of our 8 loses, lost after having the lead with less then 4 minutes to go.  1, I can undrstand, 2 mybe but 5.  thaat all comes down to bad execution, which comes from the coaching staff.  You can say players make and dont make plays, but having the right players out there falls to Lavin, and the last 2 games our best players weren't on th ourt down the stretch.

The problem is, I don't think he knows who our best players are.
His ridiculous lineups, rotations, and substitution patterns indicate he is just throw shi*t against the wall and seeing what sticks.

goredmen

« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2014, 11:25:50 PM »
Inside College Basketball on CBSSN just talked about us for a solid 3 minutes. Seth Davis and Jon Rothstein essentially pinned the failures on coaching without saying it directly. Seth Davis also said that he's seen plenty of SJU fans on Twitter showing consternation about how this team could be 0-5 with this talent so at least these national talking heads are starting to take notice

« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2014, 11:57:05 PM »
I admit it I bought the hype.  I thought they would be good to potentially real good.

To go from nearly beating Syracuse to starting 0-5 and losing to DePaul and Providence in the same week and losing 10 straight regular season BE games in a row is just mind boggling.  I honestly have no words to describe this.

Every negative thing said about Lavin and the team right now is 100% deserving.  It is totally on him.  This season is turning into a complete disaster and he does not seem to have a clue on how to fix it.  They are dreadfully bad defensively, cannot get stops in key spots, Obekpa has completely disappeared as a defensive force.  Their defensive rebounding is a joke.  They cannot execute in the last 2 minutes of a game.  Totally idiotic substitution patterns. 

I have no energy left to defend him.  Because of the expectations I had for this team this is honestly the WORST I have ever felt about a SJU team that I can remember.  Even the end of the Jarvis years and the beginning of the Roberts years I never expected anything so I never got invested in the losses because I knew they stunk.

In a MILLION years I would not have guessed they would be 0-5 at this point.  IN A MILLION YEARS.

I am just speechless.

Can't say it much better than that

« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2014, 01:03:19 AM »
I don't have an answer either. Extremely disappointing. Still don't quite understand how it's possible.

You would think with just dumb luck they would have 2 wins with this talent.

How in the hell are you 0-4 and TOTALLY DESPERATE FOR A WIN coming home to play a depleted, decent mind you, but depleted PC team and start the game down 16-4???  How is that even possible?  Where is the pride and we can't allow this to happen attitude???

This is what gets me. I was at the game tonight and saw it with my friend before the ball was even thrown in the air for the opening tap.

During player intros, no one had any energy.  The guys on the side barely clapped as each other were introduced. 

And for the first 16 minutes of the game, it was rare to see the bench clap after made baskets.  Just beyond bizarre. 

I will say that the warning signs were there from the early non-conference games this season.  The slow, flat starts with a team that so constantly claimed they had a chip on their shoulder this year.  It was a warning sign, but there was no way I would've ever thought it would get THIS BAD.

There's obviously a culture problem on the team.  The players are saying the right thing, but the proof is in the pudding that Lavin has lost this team or is currently in the deep stages of losing them.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2014, 02:52:39 AM »
I don't have an answer either. Extremely disappointing. Still don't quite understand how it's possible.

How in the hell are you 0-4 and TOTALLY DESPERATE FOR A WIN coming home to play a depleted, decent mind you, but depleted PC team and start the game down 16-4???  How is that even possible?  Where is the pride and we can't allow this to happen attitude???

This is what gets me. I was at the game tonight and saw it with my friend before the ball was even thrown in the air for the opening tap.

During player intros, no one had any energy.  The guys on the side barely clapped as each other were introduced. 

And for the first 16 minutes of the game, it was rare to see the bench clap after made baskets.  Just beyond bizarre. 

I will say that the warning signs were there from the early non-conference games this season.  The slow, flat starts with a team that so constantly claimed they had a chip on their shoulder this year.  It was a warning sign, but there was no way I would've ever thought it would get THIS BAD.

There's obviously a culture problem on the team.  The players are saying the right thing, but the proof is in the pudding that Lavin has lost this team or is currently in the deep stages of losing them.
Agree completely TRob, all the players seemed to take the court with downtrodden looks on their faces. This is on the coaching staff not to instill a positive, confidante, and motivated team.

« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2014, 05:49:39 AM »

The only thing I can say about our slow is that we've played 3 games in the last week, getting back from DePaul at 4am yesterday, while Providence was playing its first game in 7 days.

Tiger

« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2014, 06:41:37 AM »
I never could have imagined how far and how fast this team has fallen.  Lavin went from program savior to unemployed in three months.  In one year, the 'youngest team in America' has become the worst team in America.  Incredible.

The team is lost.  Dartmouth should be favored against SJU.  Hard to believe. 

Next steps....
  Pull the plug soon...Get a new coach as soon as possible.  The current juniors aren't going to leave for their senior year.  No one is leaving for the NBA not even Europe.  There will be defections Jordan, maybe others.  Moving early allows the new coach to build a staff and start recruiting.  For everyone's sake, let's be decisive.
  0-18 is bad, but deal with it.

MCNPA

« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2014, 07:18:08 AM »
I have nothing positive to say at this point either.  We should be real good right now hitting on all cylinders.  We are awful and currently in last place in the league.  I too am speechless. Like I said, I'm waiting for lacrosse season which starts in a week or two.  I can't watch this stuff any more.  Too heartbreaking to go through this every year.

« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2014, 07:34:19 AM »
this Lavin quote made me almost vomit
"It was perfect," Lavin said of Greene’s final shot. "That was the one we wanted. … That alone was growth, even though we didn’t get the payoff of a win."

growth is taking the right shot and following a play this deep into the season.....

« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2014, 08:08:03 AM »

Agree completely TRob, all the players seemed to take the court with downtrodden looks on their faces. This is on the coaching staff not to instill a positive, confidante, and motivated team.

Judging by Pointer's comments in today's Daily Nws and Post, sounds like the guys are feeling a lot of anxiety (pressure)

« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2014, 08:54:09 AM »

Judging by Pointer's comments in today's Daily Nws and Post, sounds like the guys are feeling a lot of anxiety (pressure)

Not surprising. Based on some of the players pre-season quotes, I think the team thought they'd be challenging from the BE title and top 4 seed. A lot of the fans felt the same way.

Marillac

« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2014, 10:48:21 AM »
We have no scrappers nothing. Good teams have lunch pale guys, we have none

I can't believe Dom isn't that guy.  He might as well not even run up the court on offense.  .5 offensive rebounds a game is disgusting.

« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2014, 10:59:27 AM »

I honestly blame Georgetown game for this. I think Lavin lost the team with the lineup stunt

desco80

« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2014, 11:07:47 AM »

I honestly blame Georgetown game for this. I think Lavin lost the team with the lineup stunt

January 4th, a date that will live in infamy.
That's when the tide turned on Lavin, no question.  There was a swift and stark change in opinion once the starting lineup with Balamou and Ndaye was announced.   I think that convinced a majority of fans that Lavin had to go.   The play of the last week has convinced the rest of them.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 11:08:22 AM by desco80 »

« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2014, 12:42:40 PM »
I admit it I bought the hype.  I thought they would be good to potentially real good.

To go from nearly beating Syracuse to starting 0-5 and losing to DePaul and Providence in the same week and losing 10 straight regular season BE games in a row is just mind boggling.  I honestly have no words to describe this.

Every negative thing said about Lavin and the team right now is 100% deserving.  It is totally on him.  This season is turning into a complete disaster and he does not seem to have a clue on how to fix it.  They are dreadfully bad defensively, cannot get stops in key spots, Obekpa has completely disappeared as a defensive force.  Their defensive rebounding is a joke.  They cannot execute in the last 2 minutes of a game.  Totally idiotic substitution patterns. 

I have no energy left to defend him.  Because of the expectations I had for this team this is honestly the WORST I have ever felt about a SJU team that I can remember.  Even the end of the Jarvis years and the beginning of the Roberts years I never expected anything so I never got invested in the losses because I knew they stunk.

In a MILLION years I would not have guessed they would be 0-5 at this point.  IN A MILLION YEARS.

I am just speechless.

How could you not see this coming?  How could anyone not see it?  The writing on the wall has been there for the past two years with one BS  excuse after another.   Last year with the "youngest team in the country", expression, the unusual red shirt of Gods Gift ( which would have let anyone with half a brain realize that recruiting was not going well), the suspension of Harrison who I truly believed was used as last years scapegoat to justify losing all the games we would have lost anyway. And now this year with an experienced talented team and a pre season trip to Europe, being told it will take till FEBUARY before this team is jelling???? ,and you didn't see this coming? Not to mention the lack of player development this year, this past year etc.??????

Lavins greatest asset is his gift of gab, or as we like to say , all style, no substance.  However, when anyone like myself dared to question the almighty Lavin, you were one of the first to call people names and resort to nasty sarcasm.  If anything perhaps you may gain a bit of humility from all this.

I just feel bad for these kids whose whole lives revolve around their basketball skills.  They were obviously sold a bill of goods and seem quite devastated.

Foad

« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2014, 12:45:01 PM »
I have nothing positive to say at this point either.  We should be real good right now hitting on all cylinders.  We are awful and currently in last place in the league.  I too am speechless. Like I said, I'm waiting for lacrosse season which starts in a week or two.  I can't watch this stuff any more.  Too heartbreaking to go through this every year.

"To say that we are closer to victory today is to believe, in the face of the evidence, the optimists who have been wrong in the past. To suggest we are on the edge of defeat is to yield to unreasonable pessimism. To say that we are mired in stalemate seems the only realistic, yet unsatisfactory, conclusion. On the off chance that military and political analysts are right, in the next few months we must test the enemy’s intentions, in case this is indeed his last big gasp before negotiations. But it is increasingly clear to this reporter that the only rational way out then will be to negotiate, not as victors, but as an honorable people who lived up to their pledge to defend democracy, and did the best they could."

President Lyndon Johnson, watching live in the White House, reportedly then turned to aides and said, “If I’ve lost Cronkite, I’ve lost Middle America.”

« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2014, 01:15:01 PM »

"To say that we are closer to victory today is to believe, in the face of the evidence, the optimists who have been wrong in the past. To suggest we are on the edge of defeat is to yield to unreasonable pessimism. To say that we are mired in stalemate seems the only realistic, yet unsatisfactory, conclusion. On the off chance that military and political analysts are right, in the next few months we must test the enemy’s intentions, in case this is indeed his last big gasp before negotiations. But it is increasingly clear to this reporter that the only rational way out then will be to negotiate, not as victors, but as an honorable people who lived up to their pledge to defend democracy, and did the best they could."

President Lyndon Johnson, watching live in the White House, reportedly then turned to aides and said, “If I’ve lost Cronkite, I’ve lost Middle America.”

It is funny even at the end Norm still had his supporters. Lavin seemingly lost everyone.

paultzman

« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2014, 01:23:55 PM »

It is funny even at the end Norm still had his supporters. Lavin seemingly lost everyone.

At all levels of fandom and $ guys who SJU depends on.  Smart NY folks have good BS detectors.

Foad

« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2014, 01:24:18 PM »

I'm just relieved Marcus hasn't committed hari kari.

I kind of hope Lavin stays. If I can't watch good basketball I at least want to get to see him burst into tears in public a la Jimmy Swaggart.

PS Thanks for giving the bong a Brazilian btw. Classy.