Marcus Lovett hopeful to get cleared

• 473 replies

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
Re: Marcus Lovett hopeful to get cleared
« Reply #60 on: October 23, 2015, 10:01:48 AM »
We the die hards understand rebuilding and aren't going anywhere.  Heck, I went to a bunch of games in the 1 win Showtime season.

But I fear the type of losing we're in line for will temper the Mullin buzz and lead to same ole same ole meager attendance figures and few back page headlines. 

This is a fear I have had as well about the upcoming season. Everything has been positive up until now. If we have a bad year you are crazy if you think other coaches aren't whispering into recruits ears that Mullin isn't a good coach and we also lose the media buzz we have had since his hiring.

Unless there are some glaring coaching mistakes, common sense media and fans will give Mullin a pass in his first year, especially with a completely new roster. I think the media will blame Lavin first for leaving the program with no roster before they go after Mullin. I would even say that Mullin has two full seasons of no improvement before he gets heavily criticized.

Texas gave Strong a one year pass, and he is not their all time favorite/ most beloved player. Texas football is on a completely different level then SJU basketball...anything good that happens this year will be hyped, anything bad this year will be downplayed.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 10:03:30 AM by nudginator59 »
Cougar O' Malley

« Reply #61 on: October 23, 2015, 10:30:05 AM »
We the die hards understand rebuilding and aren't going anywhere.  Heck, I went to a bunch of games in the 1 win Showtime season.

But I fear the type of losing we're in line for will temper the Mullin buzz and lead to same ole same ole meager attendance figures and few back page headlines. 

This is a fear I have had as well about the upcoming season. Everything has been positive up until now. If we have a bad year you are crazy if you think other coaches aren't whispering into recruits ears that Mullin isn't a good coach and we also lose the media buzz we have had since his hiring.

Unless there are some glaring coaching mistakes, common sense media and fans will give Mullin a pass in his first year, especially with a completely new roster. I think the media will blame Lavin first for leaving the program with no roster before they go after Mullin. I would even say that Mullin has two full seasons of no improvement before he gets heavily criticized.

Texas gave Strong a one year pass, and he is not their all time favorite/ most beloved player. Texas football is on a completely different level then SJU basketball...anything good that happens this year will be hyped, anything bad this year will be downplayed.

Norm's first season everyone gave them a pass for just playing hard. In fact Norm got a what 4 year pass? No reason greatest player in school history should not get at least one year pass from everyone.

« Reply #62 on: October 23, 2015, 10:34:28 AM »
The point that some are making is that rival programs will use poor results against us not that fans and media won't give us a pass.

« Reply #63 on: October 23, 2015, 10:40:07 AM »
The point that some are making is that rival programs will use poor results against us not that fans and media won't give us a pass.

Well we could always just hire strippers then....

But seriously Lavin was able to recruit after 15 years of being irrelevant. One bad year won't hurt anything!

Tha Kid

« Reply #64 on: October 23, 2015, 10:40:31 AM »

I think most recruits and their advisors/coaches/parents are smart enough to understand when they ask Mullin or Slice or Matt about the record that they came in in APRIL and had no time to put together a class.

More important than W/Ls this year are the system we play, whether players seem like we improve, consistent effort throughout the year, etc.  Everyone is overreacting before we have even played a game. 
"I drink and I know things"

jr49

« Reply #65 on: October 23, 2015, 01:37:44 PM »
This garbage has got to stop. Stop recruiting kids who can't get their shit together.

1.  We dont know that yet.

2.  Mullin had a month or so to put 9 guys together to try to field a competitive team.  Why WOULDNT he take a chance on Lovett, the most talented of all of them, if he thought there was at least a 50% chance he might be eligible.

If Lavin was still coach, I'd agree with you, but Mullin had no other choice.

I completely agree that Mullin had very little time to field a team, but it leaves a bad taste in your mouth to go through this every season, regardless of who is the coach. At some point, it becomes less about the coach, and more about the University, who clearly, has dropped the ball countless times over the last 5 years.

It's Lavin's or Mullin's job to check report cards. But it's someone's job, and it's about damn time they did it.

To a certain extent, it's the nature of CBB to have to sweat out these situations.  That said, Mullin is recruiting higher calibre kids, character wise.  We should have less of these situations going forward, but there will always be some.  It affects tons of schools.

IMO LoVett will be cleared (based on what I'm hearing), & that'll be good because he's a great prospect.  I was worried about Sima as well, seems to have worked out.  Let's see how things play out with ML.

I'll say a prayer LOL.
Marginal student can be a high caliber kid who deserves a chance and some extra attention. I figure coach was laying off outlaws from the get go.

« Reply #66 on: October 23, 2015, 02:45:06 PM »

Then recruits are stupid to listen to the other coaches, if they don't know the circumstances. A first year coach coaching 9 new kids on the team.
By March after months of playing together (if Lovett is on the team), I think they'll be fun to watch. I think they could do some damage in the B.E. tourny.

« Reply #67 on: October 23, 2015, 03:53:38 PM »

Well we could always just hire strippers then....

But seriously Lavin was able to recruit after 15 years of being irrelevant. One bad year won't hurt anything!

An ESPN job makes one more relevant than 95% of coaches in D1.  But don't think 1 bad year is gonna kill the program.

« Reply #68 on: October 23, 2015, 04:02:57 PM »
I actually think it's better if Yawke isn't cleared this year. Team will be more ready to compete next season.

But how will it look for Chris Mullin if he wins 7 games this year? I think it's easier to dismiss an experienced coach in a situation like that and not bother to consider the inherited roster and state of the program's incoming talent.

He needs enough talent to show that he can coach. Otherwise how can recruits see what they are committing to?

Say LoVett doesn't clear, for argument's sake...

Mussini
Ron MV
DJ
Darien Williams
Sima

Ellison
Amar
Felix.....

We should still win our share of games.

This staff will maximize the talent available and go from there.

and then we are feeding Ponds, Yakwe, Freudenberg,Ahmed hopefully...  that's the blueprint, with Owens next year also as a big.

the home run class could include Maker & Alkins -- nice to fantacize.

Which is better:

Mussini, Ron, DJ, Williams and Sima or Hill, Lawrence, Jackson, Gray and Hamilton?

Is this a serious question? Mussini, Williams and Sima have way more upside than any one of those players mentioned from that past team. I barely remember that past group and for good reason. Even from Day 1, I'd still take the current group over that one.

Lets be clear.  As recruits Showtime and Hamilton were perceived to have much higher ceilings than anyone that will play for STJ this year even if Lovett does qualify.  But the exercise was which team would be more likely to achieve more wins.  The year the OP is referring to Showtime and Hamilton were sophs and the other 3 frosh.  I am hopeful that the experience Durand and Mawookie, and to a lesser extent Williams and Balamou, bring will help this team a lot.  The only upper classmen on the other team were Epperson who was gone after 7 games, Diakite who barely played due to injury, Missere who was a walkon, and Special FX who was what he was in college.  There will be exponentially more minutes played by Jr/Sr/20+ year olds on this year's team.

Johnny23

« Reply #69 on: October 23, 2015, 04:24:44 PM »
I actually think it's better if Yawke isn't cleared this year. Team will be more ready to compete next season.

But how will it look for Chris Mullin if he wins 7 games this year? I think it's easier to dismiss an experienced coach in a situation like that and not bother to consider the inherited roster and state of the program's incoming talent.

He needs enough talent to show that he can coach. Otherwise how can recruits see what they are committing to?

Mussini
Ron MV
DJ
Darien Williams
Sima

Ellison
Amar
Felix.....

and then we are feeding Ponds, Yakwe, Freudenberg,Ahmed hopefully...  that's the blueprint, with Owens next year also as a big.

Which is better:

Mussini, Ron, DJ, Williams and Sima or Hill, Lawrence, Jackson, Gray and Hamilton?

Is this a serious question? Mussini, Williams and Sima have way more upside than any one of those players mentioned from that past team. I barely remember that past group and for good reason. Even from Day 1, I'd still take the current group over that one.

Lets be clear.  As recruits Showtime and Hamilton were perceived to have much higher ceilings than anyone that will play for STJ this year even if Lovett does qualify.  But the exercise was which team would be more likely to achieve more wins.  The year the OP is referring to Showtime and Hamilton were sophs and the other 3 frosh.  I am hopeful that the experience Durand and Mawookie, and to a lesser extent Williams and Balamou, bring will help this team a lot.  The only upper classmen on the other team were Epperson who was gone after 7 games, Diakite who barely played due to injury, Missere who was a walkon, and Special FX who was what he was in college.  There will be exponentially more minutes played by Jr/Sr/20+ year olds on this year's team.
[/quote

The question was which is better so let's be clear on that. In terms of you saying the perception of those two (Hill and Hamilton) having higher ceilings, Lovett was a 4 * star Rivals recruit same as Hill. Mussini would also be in 4 star range if he was ranked by Rivals or any other major recruiting site. Sima was a 3 star Rivals (seems more like a 4 star prospect), has huge upside and more than either Hill or Hamilton IMO. Hamilton was a 3 star Rivals player. So not only do I believe that this class will outperform the Hill/Hamilton group, they would also be perceived as a more talented group coming in based off their perceived star ratings.

Poison

« Reply #70 on: October 23, 2015, 04:41:42 PM »

Mussini
Ron MV
DJ
Darien Williams
Sima

Ellison
Amar
Felix.....

Which is better:

Yes, it is a serious question. How can you take one group over another when you've only seen one group play? I'm guessing based on rankings. Rankings aren't the gospel, but they are, by and large pretty accurate. I would love nothing more than to see kids like LoVett, Ellison and Mussini show everyone that they were indeed, underrated.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 05:11:31 PM by Poison »

« Reply #71 on: October 23, 2015, 05:49:14 PM »

Mussini
Ron MV
DJ
Darien Williams
Sima

Ellison
Amar
Felix.....

Which is better:

Lets be clear.  As recruits Showtime and Hamilton were perceived to have much higher ceilings than anyone that will play for STJ this year even if Lovett does qualify.  But the exercise was which team would be more likely to achieve more wins.  The year the OP is

Mussini
Ron MV
DJ
Darien Williams
Sima

Ellison
Amar
Felix.....

Which is better:

I am hopeful that the experience Durand and Mawookie, 
  is Mawookie related to chewbacca ?
« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 05:49:44 PM by mjmaherjr »

paultzman

« Reply #72 on: October 23, 2015, 06:25:12 PM »
Somewhat related;

@ShamsCharania: Kentucky freshman Skal Labissiere -- projected top draft pick -- has received NCAA eligibility to play 2015-16 season, sources tell Yahoo.

« Reply #73 on: October 23, 2015, 07:17:29 PM »
Who's going to be the first one to say that if lovett was a wild cat he'd be qualified already?  From the little we know about the clearinghouse qualifications I'd guess skal is closer to sima's situation being international and having moved around.  I will selfishly admit I would be a little more upset if lovett isn't qualified and this kid is but every situation is different. Hopefully this means that the 6 or so people that run this qualification process can now focus on getting some other situations (like lovett and yakwe) sorted out sooner rather then later.

Marillac

« Reply #74 on: October 23, 2015, 08:26:41 PM »

Mussini
Ron MV
DJ
Darien Williams
Sima

Ellison
Amar
Felix.....

Which is better:

I think it is debatable. Lamont Hamilton's RSCI was 118.  That is very similar to Ellison, who is ranked in the top 100 by 247 sports in spite of missing the summer before his senior season. Showtime was only ranked by one service if memory serves me correctly -- albeit in the top 30 -- and was not top 150 RSCI nor did he ever appear on mock drafts.  Lovett is #76 RSCI and was top 25 for three years. Yakwe would clearly be top 100 RSCI had he not reclassified in the 11th hour.

I think if you asked good NBA scouts who had the best NBA potential off all of the names above entering college, the answer would likely be Ellison even though he's not the flashiest.  There is nothing that disqualifies him from a skill, size, or talent standpoint. 

The most important thing to remember about that old squad was who was coaching.  There is no guarantee Mullin will be better, but he can't possibly be worse.

« Reply #75 on: October 23, 2015, 10:38:59 PM »
Too bad he didnt get one year with Lavs, his speed running the "weave" would have been something to see :p

« Reply #76 on: October 25, 2015, 12:54:49 AM »

This staff has done everything they can to give us a chance, after  Lavin put us behind the 8 ball.  The stench of Lavin's laziness will not linger long because the new staff does things right.  Slice & Matt came from successful programs, not mediocre programs, & they are lead recruiters.

Rival programs are always gonna talk shit.  It won't affect things that much, IMO.

QuanMan

« Reply #77 on: October 25, 2015, 08:43:46 PM »
The clearinghouse just approved Skal at UK. The decisions towards Marcus, Kassoum and Diallo have to be right around the corner. The first game exhibition is in 10 days.
Section 3
Section 116

hnk

« Reply #78 on: October 25, 2015, 09:11:00 PM »
I think they can all play in exhibition games in the meantime. Is that correct?

« Reply #79 on: October 25, 2015, 09:54:52 PM »
The clearinghouse just approved Skal at UK. The decisions towards Marcus, Kassoum and Diallo have to be right around the corner. The first game exhibition is in 10 days.

Do not think so
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.