Start time for Butler game

• 100 replies

TONYD3

Re: Start time for Butler game
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2016, 07:52:18 PM »
Silly or not, it is expected.  This is a rough season for fans, players and coaches alike, and blow out losses like this make it all the more difficult.  Mullin, Slice and Matt are all NY guys who have been highly successful.  You don't think this losing is absolutely killing them?  Losing in Iowa, Sacramento or even Manhattan college is one thing.  Losing here for these guys must be far worse, even though it is not unexpected, and even though they are seemingly trying to keep positive.  Ditto for Mitch Richmond, a highly accomplished player.

I'm confident that this horrible season is only going to motivate our staff to ensure that they NEVER feel this way again while coaching for SJU.  And that's why I'm confident that this type of season will never, ever occur again while Chris, Slice, Matt & Co. are in charge.

If anything, I think Lavin's success Year 1 set the stage for the lack of care and focus on the recruiting trail the past 2 years.  I think he was very comfortable with having a program that could make the tourney every few years, but go through rough cycles continuously, and that the fan base (and administration) would accept that as long as he won 20 or so games enough.  This staff won't accept that.
Crying to refs when your team isn't playing defense, taking awful shots, and constantly turning the ball over is pathetic. At the 10 minute mark in the second half the 22 year old assistant shouldn't be the dominant voice urging team to play for pride on the tv huddle. The guy on the bench who is an adviser and not a coach should absolutely never ever get a technical foul.
When is the expring date for blaming the previous coach staff?

wpc77

« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2016, 08:07:29 PM »
On the plus side, some real clear views for my 3 year old. 

Who is now a Butler fan. :)

Ha! No he's still true red blood was rockin his Johnny jungle chief blackjack t shirt.  I also convinced him that a certain blonde cheerleader was staring at him during cheers at timeouts, so between that and a boatload of popcorn he didn't care about the blowout 
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 08:08:05 PM by wpc77 »

Poison

« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2016, 08:14:15 PM »
Silly or not, it is expected.  This is a rough season for fans, players and coaches alike, and blow out losses like this make it all the more difficult.  Mullin, Slice and Matt are all NY guys who have been highly successful.  You don't think this losing is absolutely killing them?  Losing in Iowa, Sacramento or even Manhattan college is one thing.  Losing here for these guys must be far worse, even though it is not unexpected, and even though they are seemingly trying to keep positive.  Ditto for Mitch Richmond, a highly accomplished player.

I'm confident that this horrible season is only going to motivate our staff to ensure that they NEVER feel this way again while coaching for SJU.  And that's why I'm confident that this type of season will never, ever occur again while Chris, Slice, Matt & Co. are in charge.

If anything, I think Lavin's success Year 1 set the stage for the lack of care and focus on the recruiting trail the past 2 years.  I think he was very comfortable with having a program that could make the tourney every few years, but go through rough cycles continuously, and that the fan base (and administration) would accept that as long as he won 20 or so games enough.  This staff won't accept that.
Crying to refs when your team isn't playing defense, taking awful shots, and constantly turning the ball over is pathetic. At the 10 minute mark in the second half the 22 year old assistant shouldn't be the dominant voice urging team to play for pride on the tv huddle. The guy on the bench who is an adviser and not a coach should absolutely never ever get a technical foul.

They're a bunch of pussies. Maybe they need a couple of hard fouls to wake them up. At the very least, they deserve one serious practice tomorrow at 4:00am. Enough of this bullshit about there being no quit in this team. This team is all quit, and that is on the players, and the staff isn't innocent, despite what they inherited.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 08:15:54 PM by Poison »

« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2016, 08:22:38 PM »
Tried to watch the game today. Couldn't. This is the most dreadful basketball team I've ever been a fan of. And I was a Knicks fan last year.

« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2016, 08:59:35 PM »
Tried to watch the game today. Couldn't. This is the most dreadful basketball team I've ever been a fan of. And I was a Knicks fan last year.
Would be a close game.

« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2016, 09:00:26 PM »
I'm still as supportive as ever despite this painful season and poor play like today coming after solid play like Wed.

That said it does pain me that if you did not know who Chris Mullin was you would not know he was the head coach tonight.  He was practically non existent.  To an uninformed person watching the game and asked,  St. Jean would likely be selected as the HC and a toss up between Slice, Matt, Mullin or Richmond as assistant coaches.  That should never be.  When you watch Providence you know Cooley, Xavier - Mack, Marquette - Wojo, Nova-Wright..

Tonight at SJU .....?? Not sure...

« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 09:03:26 PM by RedStormNC »

Poison

« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2016, 09:12:53 PM »
I'm still as supportive as ever despite this painful season and poor play like today coming after solid play like Wed.

That said it does pain me that if you did not know who Chris Mullin was you would not know he was the head coach tonight.  He was practically non existent.  To an uninformed person watching the game and asked,  St. Jean would likely be selected as the HC and a toss up between Slice, Matt, Mullin or Richmond as assistant coaches.  That should never be.  When you watch Providence you know Cooley, Xavier - Mack, Marquette - Wojo, Nova-Wright..

He's the general manager.

wpc77

« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2016, 09:19:32 PM »

He's the general manager.

Comp:  Digger Phelps , minus the histrionics.  Who also struggled mightily in year 1 at ND, I might add

« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2016, 09:28:57 PM »

They're a bunch of pussies. Maybe they need a couple of hard fouls to wake them up. At the very least, they deserve one serious practice tomorrow at 4:00am. Enough of this bullshit about there being no quit in this team. This team is all quit, and that is on the players, and the staff isn't innocent, despite what they inherited.

I only watched half of the first half, and, per usual, felt I had seen enough.  I decided to leave my home and hang out with my family. 

IMO, the team seemed to quit a handful of times this season.  I also want to reiterate that one doesn't have to be a terrific ball player to play smartly.  There are too many times when this team just doesn't play intelligent basketball.   

desco80

« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2016, 09:45:22 PM »
Now is the time for this staff to learn by experience and make its mistakes.  These games are of little to no consequence.
And while I agree that chris has looked very subdued at times, I challenge anyone to find a person who worked harder and was more dedicated to winning.
Questioning the fire in his belly is an errand for fools.  Mullin has succeeded at every level of basketball he has ever been involved in.  That's not a coincidence. 
Nobody's perfect.  I'm sure Chris can't change his own transmission or give you a thesis on the Dutch masters. 
But the guy is a basketball savant.  He knows what it takes to put the ball in the hoop individually, he knows what to look for to find a good player, and he knows the plays and systems that succeed.

This team is unbelievably weak in talent.  Balamou is our best player.  Yakwe and sima could still be in high school.
But you are a fool to question Mullins desire to win here, or his capability in anything basketball related.

« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2016, 10:04:32 PM »
Let me get this straight:  we can blame the prior staff through a few games this year because of the roster that was left, but cannot blame them anymore, when the circumstances are exactly the same?  Nonsensical and illogical. This entire year is on our former coach and his buddies who failed to recruit the past 2 years. They got paid millions to deliver this roster - a freaking joke.  Next year the clock starts ticking on the current staff (and I emphasize STARTS ticking), but if you don't think this is on Lavin and company than you are out of your mind.  Let's hope these kids keep playing hard and stay together, as they've done for the most part. Anything else is gravy for this year.

redslope

« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2016, 10:17:15 PM »
Some how stayed for the entire game and that was without the bars at MSG--one of the most dreadful games I have sat through at CA in almost 40 years of being there.   

Poison

« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2016, 10:20:33 PM »
Now is the time for this staff to learn by experience and make its mistakes.  These games are of little to no consequence.
And while I agree that chris has looked very subdued at times, I challenge anyone to find a person who worked harder and was more dedicated to winning.
Questioning the fire in his belly is an errand for fools.  Mullin has succeeded at every level of basketball he has ever been involved in.  That's not a coincidence. 
Nobody's perfect.  I'm sure Chris can't change his own transmission or give you a thesis on the Dutch masters. 
But the guy is a basketball savant.  He knows what it takes to put the ball in the hoop individually, he knows what to look for to find a good player, and he knows the plays and systems that succeed.

This team is unbelievably weak in talent.  Balamou is our best player.  Yakwe and sima could still be in high school.
But you are a fool to question Mullins desire to win here, or his capability in anything basketball related.

Isn't the fool the one who doesn't question his capability in the midst of an 0-11 season?

We are all well aware of Mullin's ability as a player. I honestly have no actual knowledge of anything else he's done of note. I know he was an NBA GM. Are you suggesting that we can look to his success at that position as a way to understand how he'll do here? What success did he have as a GM? As far as basketball related capability, I only know that he's been a player and a GM. What other basketball jobs has he held?

« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2016, 10:26:59 PM »

Isn't the fool the one who doesn't question his capability in the midst of an 0-11 season?

We are all well aware of Mullin's ability as a player. I honestly have no actual knowledge of anything else he's done of note. I know he was an NBA GM. Are you suggesting that we can look to his success at that position as a way to understand how he'll do here? What success did he have as a GM? As far as basketball related capability, I only know that he's been a player and a GM. What other basketball jobs has he held?
You make some very salient points but one other job in basketball I think he held was assistant to the assistant manager. I think he got that position by replacing Dwight Schrute.

Foad

« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2016, 11:13:42 PM »
Are you suggesting that we can look to his success at that position as a way to understand how he'll do here?

That depends. Are you suggesting that the job he's doing now coaching Johnson and Mvouika and all the other guys you say day after day are not D1 players and suck and are lazy pussies is an indication of how he'll do as a coach? Because if you're right and they all stink then there's nothing you can tell about Mullin because no one can coach up players who are as bad as you say these players are. Whereas if you're an awful judge of talent you might be right about Mullin.

« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2016, 11:19:40 PM »

This year no matter how angry I might get over some things I give Mullin a pass and you make a good point about this being a good time to learn by mistakes

The only thing is while I'm certainly not throwing in the towel on Mullin as a coach and your comments about him as a player are dead on accurate that doesn't guarantee he is a lock to be successful as a coach.

While you grew up a st johns fan when he was a player at the same time I started following college hoops as a fan of the houston cougars and phi slamma jamma and was a Drexler fan the rest of his career and I know saw first hand how one of the top 50 players in history and all that success didn't translate when he went to college to coach and stunk for 2 years

I think Mullin would make a better coach than clyde but by no means does his success as a player mean he won't fail as a coach

Poison

« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2016, 11:25:05 PM »
Are you suggesting that we can look to his success at that position as a way to understand how he'll do here?

That depends. Are you suggesting that the job he's doing now coaching Johnson and Mvouika and all the other guys you say day after day are not D1 players and suck and are lazy pussies is an indication of how he'll do as a coach? Because if you're right and they all stink then there's nothing you can tell about Mullin because no one can coach up players who are as bad as you say these players are. Whereas if you're an awful judge of talent you might be right about Mullin.

His upperclassmen have played horribly and part of that has nothing to do with talent.

« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2016, 11:59:53 PM »
"His upperclassmen"

You mean the kids he met in March/April for the first time, who he had no involvement in developing over the past 3 years.  I'm a bit surprised Durand Johnson isn't better, given his pedigree. But Ron M was an after thought on a mid major team (and not a great one), and Jones and Balamou have been coached the past few years by a staff that didn't do a great job with player development. 

Can't fault Chris & Co. for the development of the seniors.  Just not fair.  If Yawke hasn't progressed in 2 years, blame the staff.  Ditto for Sima, etc.  But they are playing the hand they were dealt because of the utter incompetence displayed by the prior staff in recruiting the past few years.

Poison

« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2016, 12:24:44 AM »
"His upperclassmen"

You mean the kids he met in March/April for the first time, who he had no involvement in developing over the past 3 years.  I'm a bit surprised Durand Johnson isn't better, given his pedigree. But Ron M was an after thought on a mid major team (and not a great one), and Jones and Balamou have been coached the past few years by a staff that didn't do a great job with player development. 

Can't fault Chris & Co. for the development of the seniors.  Just not fair.  If Yawke hasn't progressed in 2 years, blame the staff.  Ditto for Sima, etc.  But they are playing the hand they were dealt because of the utter incompetence displayed by the prior staff in recruiting the past few years.

The coach should not be rewarding the lazy no matter how many scholarship players he has. One of the reasons he was brought here to set an example for the kind of player he wants here. Starting those two lazy shits isn't going to set that example. Sit them down, and let them watch. We can lose without them.

And quite frankly, whether they have talent or not, they should have some knowledge of the game. We have a good amount of people commending the staff for landing top recruits who have a kean understanding of the game. If we have such good recruiters and smart players, why are we 0-11? Obviously, I wasn't expecting much this year. No one was, but this is just pathetic.

IMO, it seems as if Mullin is using this season to first learn how to coach.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 12:43:35 AM by Poison »

« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2016, 01:27:12 AM »
Dial looked good though!