Start time for Butler game

• 100 replies
Re: Start time for Butler game
« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2016, 01:36:54 AM »
Dial played well in his limited minutes 4 pts, 3 rb 1 asst.... and looked like he could move and control the ball.

DJ was atrocious 2-11 from field. Continues to pkay like he feels he's the only one who can score and as soon as he gets hands on it he refuses to give up ball.  Can't stand seeing it repeat every game. I get Mullin's,style is to shoot but DJ rushes beyond belief.

Even more impressive was Yakwe's 7-8 from the line.

On a related note.. is this NY Post headline not tying to the article?

http://nypost.com/2016/02/06/st-johns-forward-admits-sad-truth-to-ref-in-deepening-hole/

What forward revealed what truth to the ref?
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 01:45:47 AM by RedStormNC »

Foad

« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2016, 08:06:56 AM »
His upperclassmen have played horribly and part of that has nothing to do with talent.

What does it have to do with?

Foad

« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2016, 08:19:22 AM »
If we have such good recruiters and smart players, why are we 0-11?

Do you really believe that they're 0 and 11 because Barry Rohrssen is not  good recruiter? Because to the extent that that's not insane it doesn't even make sense.

I have not read anyone call these players are smart. I certainly would not and in fact collectively they seem pretty dumb.

wpc77

« Reply #43 on: February 07, 2016, 09:09:21 AM »
Dial played well in his limited minutes 4 pts, 3 rb 1 asst.... and looked like he could move and control the ball.

DJ was atrocious 2-11 from field. Continues to pkay like he feels he's the only one who can score and as soon as he gets hands on it he refuses to give up ball.  Can't stand seeing it repeat every game. I get Mullin's,style is to shoot but DJ rushes beyond belief.

http://nypost.com/2016/02/06/st-johns-forward-admits-sad-truth-to-ref-in-deepening-hole/

Not only is that his style, there were multiple times after Ellison passed up a semi contested shot for a drive to the hole, and after the drive failed, Johnson exhorted him to just chuck it up next time.   He needs to be gone.  EDIT: by gone, I mean gone to the pine for small minutes
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 02:23:18 PM by wpc77 »

« Reply #44 on: February 07, 2016, 09:27:37 AM »

Not only is that his style, there were multiple times after Ellison passed up a semi contested shit for a drive to the hole, and after the drive failed, Johnson exported him to just chuck it up next time.   He needs to be gone

Too late for him to be a mid-season two time 5th year transfer.  You're gonna have to put up with him for another 10 games or so.

Poison

« Reply #45 on: February 07, 2016, 09:31:09 AM »
His upperclassmen have played horribly and part of that has nothing to do with talent.

What does it have to do with?

They could play like seniors from the neck up. Shit, they could play like sophomores.

Poison

« Reply #46 on: February 07, 2016, 09:33:33 AM »
If we have such good recruiters and smart players, why are we 0-11?

Do you really believe that they're 0 and 11 because Barry Rohrssen is not  good recruiter? Because to the extent that that's not insane it doesn't even make sense.

I have not read anyone call these players are smart. I certainly would not and in fact collectively they seem pretty dumb.

I believe they are 0-11 because the players suck, and also because the coaching sucks, too.

Foad

« Reply #47 on: February 07, 2016, 10:19:16 AM »
I believe they are 0-11 because the players suck, and also because the coaching sucks, too.

What changes do you think the coaching staff should implement to make this group of players who "suck" and are "pussies" competitive with the teams whose records indicate that their players do not suck and are not pussies.

ras

« Reply #48 on: February 07, 2016, 10:40:07 AM »
Tried to watch the game today. Couldn't. This is the most dreadful basketball team I've ever been a fan of. And I was a Knicks fan last year.
Unfortunately, Watched the first half, Turned the TV off. That performance made me yearn for the Norm days.

« Reply #49 on: February 07, 2016, 12:03:26 PM »
Poison-- you need to take a deep breath.  No one is enjoying this season.  I went to the game yesterday and somehow sat there to the bitter end.  Elite "proven" coaches as you called for last year could not have squeezed much more out of this team.  Maybe we could have  slowed down our approach this year and played a bit more ugly, but likely would not have made one ounce of a difference.. Maybe we could have kissed Jordan and Obekpa's ass and convinced them to stay.   That would have led to all kinds of cultural issues in exchange for 5 more wins.   Not worth it in my opinion.  In order to overcome a season like this you need one or two guys to carry a team.  We have zero.  We have end of the bench veterans playing major minutes without a true point. We have two young big men who have incredible potential to go along with two roll playing freshmen guards who will all help going forward, but unfortunately not right now.  These current young players will complement the best infusion of incoming talent we have seen here in a long long time.   Even someone as angry as you should be excited about the staff and the direction we are headed.

« Reply #50 on: February 07, 2016, 12:06:35 PM »
Dial needs to play. I would give all of durands minutes to him.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Poison

« Reply #51 on: February 07, 2016, 03:07:29 PM »
Poison-- you need to take a deep breath.  No one is enjoying this season.  I went to the game yesterday and somehow sat there to the bitter end.  Elite "proven" coaches as you called for last year could not have squeezed much more out of this team.  Maybe we could have  slowed down our approach this year and played a bit more ugly, but likely would not have made one ounce of a difference.. Maybe we could have kissed Jordan and Obekpa's ass and convinced them to stay.   That would have led to all kinds of cultural issues in exchange for 5 more wins.   Not worth it in my opinion.  In order to overcome a season like this you need one or two guys to carry a team.  We have zero.  We have end of the bench veterans playing major minutes without a true point. We have two young big men who have incredible potential to go along with two roll playing freshmen guards who will all help going forward, but unfortunately not right now.  These current young players will complement the best infusion of incoming talent we have seen here in a long long time.   Even someone as angry as you should be excited about the staff and the direction we are headed.

Actually, I've taken several deep breaths this season. As far as Yakwe and Sima, I agree that they have potential, but incredible potential? Let's settle down now. In terms of being excited about the direction we are headed in, I am slightly optimistic. This staff hasn't recruited nearly as well as the previous one, and so far, they shown that they can coach, so let's wait and see.

Poison

« Reply #52 on: February 07, 2016, 03:09:20 PM »

What changes do you think the coaching staff should implement to make this group of players who "suck" and are "pussies" competitive with the teams whose records indicate that their players do not suck and are not pussies.

I'd rather play a walk on than a player who isn't trying. Send a message. Let Johnson sit on the bench, or better yet, let him get the F out of here altogether. He's hurting any development that this team might get by chucking up bad shots, and ignoring defense.

Foad

« Reply #53 on: February 07, 2016, 04:42:53 PM »

I'd rather play a walk on than a player who isn't trying. Send a message. Let Johnson sit on the bench, or better yet, let him get the F out of here altogether. He's hurting any development that this team might get by chucking up bad shots, and ignoring defense.

I don't understand the animus towards Johnson, except he shoots too much. At least unlike all the other upperclassmen he takes his beatings like a man and doesn't whine constantly like Mvouika and Balamou, neither of whom has ever committed a foul in their careers. I'd think you'd admire that about him.

Anyway, other than playing his most experienced player and one of the few scoring options at his disposal, what else has Mullin done that leads you to conclude that he "sucks." 

« Reply #54 on: February 07, 2016, 08:02:09 PM »

I don't understand the animus towards Johnson, except he shoots too much. At least unlike all the other upperclassmen he takes his beatings like a man and doesn't whine constantly like Mvouika and Balamou, neither of whom has ever committed a foul in their careers. I'd think you'd admire that about him.

Anyway, other than playing his most experienced player and one of the few scoring options at his disposal, what else has Mullin done that leads you to conclude that he "sucks." 

Hey Foad, respect for your opinion but Johnson and his chucks have taken us out of so many possessions and scoring opportunities, they are uncounted turnovers. At least Mvouika hits the occasional 3. Personally, if I didn't see any of the seniors on the court again this season, that would be fine with me. In another thread, some mentioned retiring the numbers 5 and 10. Maybe we need to make that happen now v later.

Mullin has stated he has a soft spot for the seniors and this is their last chance. I wonder if he would feel that way w his job on the line v being in the honeymoon phase? Zach Brazilier just wrote that recruiting article today as a favor to anyone connected to St Johns basketball. We're all jumping out of windows, and the powers that be want us to know that help is on the way.

« Reply #55 on: February 07, 2016, 08:14:56 PM »
If his job was on the line?  What are his options if the seniors are benched?  There is no one else.  He gets criticized for playing Mussini and Ellison too many minutes as well. 

Is Zach's article fluff to you?  Are you not excited about the number one class in the big east?
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 08:16:49 PM by action jackson »

Poison

« Reply #56 on: February 07, 2016, 09:25:17 PM »
If his job was on the line?  What are his options if the seniors are benched?  There is no one else.  He gets criticized for playing Mussini and Ellison too many minutes as well. 

Is Zach's article fluff to you?  Are you not excited about the number one class in the big east?

It's a fair point, but really, if coach is going to establish his program, rewarding lazy and selfish players sets a horrible example. My criticism of Mullin isn't in the record we're showing. It has to do with establishing an identity. If he's just going through the motions, and this season is meaningless, then fine, but the University can refund everyone's money, because they're don't deserve one penny.

And yes, sure we're all excited about the #1 class in the BE. But let's see what shows up on the court in November before celebrate.
We've all seen this movie before many, many times.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 09:38:29 PM by Poison »

Poison

« Reply #57 on: February 07, 2016, 09:30:01 PM »

1.  He's a black hole
2. He avoids contact on offense and more so on defense
3. He doesn't allow for the team to run an offense
4. He's lazy, and often leaves his man wide open (In fairness, so do Mussini, and Mvouika)

He's probably fair more talented than the walk ons, but I would play them over him anyway. We're going to lose anyway, so who cares if we lose by 20 or 50? You may not have any respect for Lavin, but when his starters were phoning it in, he started a hard working walk on to make a point, and whether they got the point or not, the coach sent a message.

What message does Mullin send to his players?
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 09:36:50 PM by Poison »

Poison

« Reply #58 on: February 07, 2016, 09:31:21 PM »

Hey Foad, respect for your opinion but Johnson and his chucks have taken us out of so many possessions and scoring opportunities, they are uncounted turnovers. At least Mvouika hits the occasional 3. Personally, if I didn't see any of the seniors on the court again this season, that would be fine with me. In another thread, some mentioned retiring the numbers 5 and 10. Maybe we need to make that happen now v later.

Mullin has stated he has a soft spot for the seniors and this is their last chance. I wonder if he would feel that way w his job on the line v being in the honeymoon phase? Zach Brazilier just wrote that recruiting article today as a favor to anyone connected to St Johns basketball. We're all jumping out of windows, and the powers that be want us to know that help is on the way.

He has a soft spot for the softest senior class in St.John's history.

« Reply #59 on: February 07, 2016, 09:56:38 PM »

Embarrasing performance to say the least. Talent is not there so losses are not surprising. However, total lack of effort on defense is unacceptable.

1st 8 minutes were very good. But then, like clockwork, the green light gang started hoisting any old shot (Durand Johnson is the prime offender; I don't see any aspect of his game as being good...Can't shoot...Not athletic enough to finish in traffic and doesn't play defense). I know Mullin is trying to employ a pro style offense. But the idea of everyone having a green light to shoot at any time and from any where will only work with a specific type of personnel. Green lighting after you have probed for an easy shot is fine but just plain tired of watching Johnson's convulsions.

And, Mvouika needs to be told to just spot up and wait for the ball to come his way. He simply doesn't have the speed or athleticism to pentrate or post up even against much shorter defenders.

Frankly, the most athletic looking players were Holifield and Dial.

I know that Mussini has not played well in a while. But, wonder why he has lost his starting position given that Ellison has shown very little and the seniors flat out stink. Perhaps he has hit the wall and they are trying to give hm a break. It appears as though he has lost confidence.

Mullin must have been very frustrated as he substuted en masse for much of 2nd half -- at first to send a message (IMO) and then because he simply he had no answers. Mullin is probably more frustrated than any of us -- but has probably learned to adjust his expectations better than we have.

Anyway, will continue to support the team and look forward to better days.