Xavier

• 159 replies

Foad

Re: Xavier
« Reply #140 on: January 07, 2017, 07:20:37 PM »

Marillac

« Reply #141 on: January 07, 2017, 07:36:31 PM »
I hear it all the time that I'm too critical, and cynical, and angry at St. John's - but how can any sane St. John's fan not be pissed off watching the way they play. The effort, the turnovers, the gameplay...when are we allowed to get angry and not fall back on the "2nd year coach, or young team" excuses. This kind of basketball is just infuriating to watch - there's something broken and it needs fixing.

Xavier is a Final Four contender and has two future NBA players--one, Summer, who I see being an all-star. A 15 pt loss was expected on the road.

Our starters need an extra 100+ pounds collectively. We also need a defensive stopper...hopefully that is Simon. We've been playing boys against men since Jarvis left. Time for the strength and conditioning coaches to have A come to Jesus meeting. 

paultzman

« Reply #142 on: January 07, 2017, 07:49:02 PM »
I hear it all the time that I'm too critical, and cynical, and angry at St. John's - but how can any sane St. John's fan not be pissed off watching the way they play. The effort, the turnovers, the gameplay...when are we allowed to get angry and not fall back on the "2nd year coach, or young team" excuses. This kind of basketball is just infuriating to watch - there's something broken and it needs fixing.

Xavier is a Final Four contender and has two future NBA players--one, Summer, who I see being an all-star. A 15 pt loss was expected on the road.

Our starters need an extra 100+ pounds collectively. We also need a defensive stopper...hopefully that is Simon. We've been playing boys against men since Jarvis left. Time for the strength and conditioning coaches to have A come to Jesus meeting. 

Easily could have lost by more than 15. Game was decided in first half, dreadful effort especially defensively. Agree on strength & conditioning comment. Can Jesus defend btw?

« Reply #143 on: January 07, 2017, 07:57:42 PM »
2 rebounds for Yakwe

goredmen

« Reply #144 on: January 07, 2017, 08:08:32 PM »
2 rebounds for Yakwe

Incredibly disappointing

« Reply #145 on: January 07, 2017, 09:54:21 PM »
Glad I missed this one. Went to the Molloy College/Bridgeport game
I didn't see the game but we put up 82 pts. on the road against the 16th ranked team in the nation.  Plus we out rebounded them by two including 14 offensive boards.

Then you read this thread and it's all "we don't box out", "we can't rebound", "no effort", "can't win with our weak front line and Bashir having an off day".

Seems to me as if the only valid complaint is the no defense.

We lost by 15. It doesn't matter if we put up 150 if we still lose convincingly. The O was nothing to write home about with the nonstop turnovers.

Any way you parse it.  82 points on the road is a rock solid day offensively.  We're losing on the defensive end.  We're the anti-Giants.

« Reply #146 on: January 08, 2017, 12:24:28 AM »
After 4 Big East games, 3 against ranked opponents and 2 on the road, we are 2-2.  It could be a lot worse.  Help is on the way with Simon and Clark. If we can keep the key guys here, the future is bright.
Simon and Clark alone will not be enough. Without significant improvement of the current roster and, in some cases, 180 degree reversals of form, we will be at best mediocre..

Need major (probably an understatement) improvement on defense and more capable big men play
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 12:27:13 AM by section3 »

« Reply #147 on: January 08, 2017, 06:37:26 AM »

If G-Town blows us out, are they a F4 contender too?

« Reply #148 on: January 08, 2017, 11:09:04 AM »

If they smoke us, then the flags continue to go up.  They're garbage, IMO.

« Reply #149 on: January 08, 2017, 11:14:08 AM »

We will be pretty heavy underdogs. We'd be slightly favored v Gtown at home, but it is more likely that we lose by double digits than win this game

Foad

« Reply #150 on: January 08, 2017, 11:25:25 AM »

Is G'town 13-2, in first place in the Big East, on a six game winning streak and ranked in the top 15?

Then probably not.

Wods317

« Reply #151 on: January 08, 2017, 11:37:09 AM »
After 4 Big East games, 3 against ranked opponents and 2 on the road, we are 2-2.  It could be a lot worse.  Help is on the way with Simon and Clark. If we can keep the key guys here, the future is bright.
Simon and Clark alone will not be enough. Without significant improvement of the current roster and, in some cases, 180 degree reversals of form, we will be at best mediocre..

Need major (probably an understatement) improvement on defense and more capable big men play

We need to add a guy who can play 15 minutes a night who has some size and strength but it's a little late in the game for the 2017 class to find that. I'm sure they bring in a big body but not sure how quality the player will be. What happened to that big that Matt A was recruiting who was from same area as Clark?

paultzman

« Reply #152 on: January 08, 2017, 12:56:26 PM »

We need to add a guy who can play 15 minutes a night who has some size and strength but it's a little late in the game for the 2017 class to find that. I'm sure they bring in a big body but not sure how quality the player will be. What happened to that big that Matt A was recruiting who was from same area as Clark?

Derrick Clark, 17 PF, is visiting 1/14.

« Reply #153 on: January 08, 2017, 01:13:37 PM »

Derrick Clark, 17 PF, is visiting 1/14.

If only we could combine the two of them ;)
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #154 on: January 08, 2017, 01:35:08 PM »

We will be pretty heavy underdogs. We'd be slightly favored v Gtown at home, but it is more likely that we lose by double digits than win this game

Currently, we're 7 point underdogs. If we're taken behind the woodshed, then there is cause for more concern.  This Georgetown team is far from good.

If we lose in a close game, then understandable. It's a road game to a team that's similar to us.  A butt whoopin' tomorrow night only raises concerns.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 01:45:05 PM by mjdinkins »

« Reply #155 on: January 08, 2017, 01:58:47 PM »

Currently, we're 7 point underdogs. If we're taken behind the woodshed, then there is cause for more concern.  This Georgetown team is far from good.

If we lose in a close game, then understandable. It's a road game to a team that's similar to us.  A butt whoopin' tomorrow night only raises concerns.

Agree that Georgetown is not good. I expect a split with them in the season series.   

Just trying to keep things in perspective. 10 point loss tomorrow is much more likely than a win. 

« Reply #156 on: January 08, 2017, 02:18:24 PM »

If we play under control (a big IF), game should be close. I, too, don't think they are very good. Can play hack-a-Shaq with Hayes if necessary.

« Reply #157 on: January 08, 2017, 02:53:05 PM »

I just hope that Georgetown doesn't go up 20+ before we wakeup like the last 2 games.

Marillac

« Reply #158 on: January 09, 2017, 10:38:18 AM »

What point are you trying to make here? Xavier missed the Sweet 16 last year on a three as time expired. It returns its three best players, didn't lose anyone who played 25 mpg or
more, and added two high-level transfers--playing 19 and 28 mpg. They are also 13-2 and ranked in the top ten in RPI and top 20 in every poll.

Georgetown is 8-8, has an RPI of 81, is not ranked in any poll, and had a losing record last year.

« Reply #159 on: January 09, 2017, 05:44:24 PM »
Xavier recap: http://www.bigeastboards.com/
Great last paragraph. Ain't that the truth.