Nova 1/28

• 213 replies
Re: Nova 1/28
« Reply #200 on: February 02, 2020, 02:30:17 AM »

They are solid players, but they are not good enough to carry a team that is mediocre. Hence, picked to finish second to last. I’m not treating Anderson’s first year any different than Mullins first year.

I’m not looking at results right now. I like the style of play. I like the offense, and believe when the talent level improves so will our record.
This has nothing to do with my question.

SJUFAN

« Reply #201 on: February 02, 2020, 03:50:14 AM »
what do you like about the offense?

I like the action. Lot’s of movement. You see screens both on and off the ball, screen and rolls, back door cuts, pin downs, down picks, curls, multiple curls. It’s all there. When they get zoned they’re prepared. Someone shoots to the free throw line (usually Heron).

The fact that our players can’t take advantage of the opportunities that present itself doesn’t mean the offensive system is bad. They get open looks, they get driving opportunities, they get passingly opportunities, there is weak side action that creates these opportunities off of dribble drives. The only player we have that can drive is Dunn and he can’t pass.

Now I’ll ask you, tell me what else Anderson could do offensively and tell me why that would be successful?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2020, 12:34:48 PM by SJUFAN »

SJUFAN

« Reply #202 on: February 02, 2020, 03:54:08 AM »
Do you think Jay Wright or Doug McDermott's father would be 2-7 with this roster?

That’s real hard to say, this roster is bad but out of respect for Coach Wright I’d say he would do a better job, but there is no way Rutherford plays for Wright. Wright likes scoring guards.

Teams in the BE plays defense, when your limited in your options as much as we are it is really challenging to generate offense in the half court regardless of the offensive sets.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2020, 12:32:49 PM by SJUFAN »

SJUFAN

« Reply #203 on: February 02, 2020, 04:09:32 AM »
You want me to give you a reason that fits into your simpleton method of reducing everything to a dichotomy. 

We suck because of the players and the coaches, but you and a few others are literally too stupid to understand anything more complex than a this or that situation.

Not even Norm Roberts could have done worse with this roster. Dunlap coached his way to a .500 record with like 7 scholarship players and nearly all of them new to the program. Anderson is not Dunlap...not even close.

We were picked second to last because the other coaches know that Anderson is not some elite X’s and O’s coach that could win with someone else’s players. Butler is top 25 and I’d bet my life they would be sub-.500 in conference play if Anderson took over that team for the many of the same reasons that we suck now.

Anderson would be the first one to tell you he can’t hang with most coaches in many areas. That’s why he recruits the players he does. He wants to avoid half court situations as much as possible and just wants to overwhelm teams with athletes and physical freaks.

Let him get his guys here. I think that can work to a level that I’m satisfied with. But we don’t have to pretend he’s something he’s not. He’s a below average tactician who has coached long enough to know exactly what he wants, and he wouldn’t change that for anyone—even if he inherited UVA’s roster last year.

Mullin, Lavin, and Anderson are probably all within two games of each other as coaches with rosters full of their players at St. John’s. Jarvis didn’t have a losing record once before he cane to St. John’s either. This is where coaching careers die.

This drivel is nothing but conjecture. He would not say he couldn’t hang with coaches and we were picked to finish second to last because our roster sucks and everyone knows it.

You were critical of the “low level” recruits he brought in now they’re “athletes and physical freaks”. They are ball players who can do multiple things well.

I’m not sure if Anderson is the savior, but I haven’t seen anything that would concern me nor have you been able to say anything specific that Anderson could do that would make us better. Just saying “Coach sucks” is an argument that would rival the Hulk.

If I see us playing poorly with a better roster I’ll say so but right now you can’t say it’s the coaching, not with this roster. Just like Mullins first year, you couldn’t say it was the coaching. It wasn’t until year 3 when he had 3 NBA players going 4-14 is when it was obvious there was a coaching issue.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2020, 11:11:15 AM by SJUFAN »

SJUFAN

« Reply #204 on: February 02, 2020, 04:19:01 AM »
Why's that?

Are you not capable of seeing that the lot of LJ, Gil Scott, Duke, Dr. Roberts and Williams are far superior to Jones, Felix the cat and Alibegivic. Everybody knows that.

A bad roster is a bad roster. Just because Anderson’s roster is better than Mullins first roster means little if Anderson’s roster is worse than any other BE roster. Since he does have a better roster he has a better record year one. Mullin went 8-24, 1-17. Anderson is 13-9, 2-7. Better roster, better coaching, better results.

He needs time to rebuild the program.

Poison

« Reply #205 on: February 02, 2020, 11:19:36 AM »
Why's that?

Are you not capable of seeing that the lot of LJ, Gil Scott, Duke, Dr. Roberts and Williams are far superior to Jones, Felix the cat and Alibegivic. Everybody knows that.

There’s no question that Coach Anderson inherited more than Mullin when it came to the guys who made it to the court.

Sampson and Doughty decided not to go to St.John’s. Obekpa just transferred to a lesser program. Mullin could have kept more guys. They didn’t only pick St.John’s because of Lavin. Like Norm, he couldn’t close.

Coach Anderson had to deal with recruits taking their ball and going home, too, but for better or worse, he was able to keep all of the players who were already in the program. He lost Mack, who should be crying in his soup over his tremendously stupid decision to go to Nebraska, and PF Victor Manuel. We basically swapped Mack for Dunn, and Manuel for Champagnie. So far, looks like we took a step down. Coach Anderson isn’t w out criticism, but it should be clear that once players get to know him, they seem to all believe in him. Once players get to know Chris Mullin, about half of them leave.

You can’t compare the two situations without looking at everything.

« Reply #206 on: February 02, 2020, 12:13:37 PM »
A bad roster is a bad roster. Just because Anderson’s roster is better than Mullins first roster means little if Anderson’s roster is worse than any other BE roster. Since he does have a better roster he has a better record year one. Mullin went 8-24, 1-17. Anderson is 13-9, 2-7. Better roster, better coaching, better results.

He needs time to rebuild the program.

Rebuild what? We made NCAA Tournament last year and contrary to popular belief if we win out our home games the NCAA Tournament is possible again.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

SJUFAN

« Reply #207 on: February 02, 2020, 12:30:38 PM »
Rebuild what? We made NCAA Tournament last year and contrary to popular belief if we win out our home games the NCAA Tournament is possible again.

Why stop there IF we win all our remaining games we’ll be national champions! I said PROGRAM! Not 2019/2020 season. Stop being so short sighted. Contrary to popular belief, the prior regime benefited off the recruiting efforts from the staff before them. Recruiting is the lifeblood to sustained success. Having relationships with HS, AAU programs, Europe...take time to build.

Anderson inherited a program that was dead to the basketball recruiting community.

Poison

« Reply #208 on: February 02, 2020, 02:50:07 PM »
This is pathetic. If we blow this game, that’s it. Season is over. Where is the f’n leadership?

« Reply #209 on: February 02, 2020, 02:56:59 PM »
This is pathetic. If we blow this game, that’s it. Season is over. Where is the f’n leadership?
We already lost the Nova game!

Poison

« Reply #210 on: February 02, 2020, 03:07:06 PM »
We already lost the Nova game!

lol. I know. Posted it in the wrong thread.

« Reply #211 on: February 02, 2020, 10:42:00 PM »
Give it a rest already. Mullin was a shit coach.
But what if CFC doesn't dance in one of his first 3 seasons?  It will then be proven that Mullin was a better coach at St. John's than the Razorback and you and other's will owe the legend an apology.

« Reply #212 on: February 02, 2020, 10:47:43 PM »
I’m not sure if Anderson is the savior, 
The sad reality of it all slowly creeps in, for the traitors, as the ugly seeds of doubt are now planted.

« Reply #213 on: February 02, 2020, 10:50:36 PM »
There’s no question that Coach Anderson inherited more than Mullin when it came to the guys who made it to the court.

Sampson and Doughty decided not to go to St.John’s. Obekpa just transferred to a lesser program. Mullin could have kept more guys. They didn’t only pick St.John’s because of Lavin. Like Norm, he couldn’t close.

Coach Anderson had to deal with recruits taking their ball and going home, too, but for better or worse, he was able to keep all of the players who were already in the program. He lost Mack, who should be crying in his soup over his tremendously stupid decision to go to Nebraska, and PF Victor Manuel. We basically swapped Mack for Dunn, and Manuel for Champagnie. So far, looks like we took a step down. Coach Anderson isn’t w out criticism, but it should be clear that once players get to know him, they seem to all believe in him. Once players get to know Chris Mullin, about half of them leave.

You can’t compare the two situations without looking at everything.
I credit CFC for getting players to stay. Particularly his top two. At the same time I don't blame an incoming coach if players decide to leave. It's a very hit or miss unpredictable thing that can and does go either way.