Can Mason Jr......?

• 32 replies
Re: Can Mason Jr......?
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2009, 09:56:56 PM »
Lowry, Foye, and Ray is NBA caliber and if his eye didn't pop out of his head he probably would've been drafted.  They also probably go to the final four if Ray was fully healthy.

My point being we don't have the players to overcome the problems that come with playing a "small" 4.  Especially in the Big East.

I hardly call what Seton Hall does a success.  They've won 5 in a row but that includes Rutgers, St. John's, Rutgers, Depaul.  Not exactly murderer's row.  They've got 4 out of 6 against top 10 teams.  Let's see how Stix does during that run.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

Marillac

« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2009, 10:04:05 PM »
Lowry, Foye, and Ray is NBA caliber and if his eye didn't pop out of his head he probably would've been drafted.  They also probably go to the final four if Ray was fully healthy.

My point being we don't have the players to overcome the problems that come with playing a "small" 4.  Especially in the Big East.

I hardly call what Seton Hall does a success.  They've won 5 in a row but that includes Rutgers, St. John's, Rutgers, Depaul.  Not exactly murderer's row.  They've got 4 out of 6 against top 10 teams.  Let's see how Stix does during that run.

SNY just replayed the 1999 regular season game between STJ and #1 Uconn.  We were without Grant so our starting PF and center were Artest and Jesse, respectively.  We almost beat #1 Uconn with a very big front line. 

If Jesse can play center at 6'5, then Kennedy should be fine playing PF at 6-6.  Again, we are not talking about making a Final Four run here.  I think we'd all be happy with an 11 seed in the NCAA next year.  Put your best five on the court.  It's not like we are benching Blake Griffin for Kennedy.  We are going to sit someone that doesn't even outrebound Kennedy from the PF spot!

If Norm was smart he would cater his strategy to his talent, that is, run a zone or at least a matchup zone to keep his best five on the floor.

« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2009, 01:32:57 PM »
I'd like to see Mason down low more just for the fact I don't like seeing him outside that much. I think he has more tangible skills to play inside/out rather than outside/in. I think he'd be a pretty tough cover due to his length and speed and Mason would have above average handles for a college PF.

I think DJ could see minutes at the 4 as well but I think he is better suited for the 3.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Marillac

« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2009, 04:09:22 PM »
I'd like to see Mason down low more just for the fact I don't like seeing him outside that much. I think he has more tangible skills to play inside/out rather than outside/in. I think he'd be a pretty tough cover due to his length and speed and Mason would have above average handles for a college PF.

I think DJ could see minutes at the 4 as well but I think he is better suited for the 3.

I think DJ's abillity to drive to the basket (only player on the team really) gives him a big advantage over Mason.  Imagine DJ facing up a four ten feet from the basket?  It would be foul city.  And DJ is so adept at dishing off the drive.  Think of how many problems Evans creates when he drives, and he bounces half his dribbles off his foot.

Mason is the better set shooter, so let him hang on the perimeter for set shots or pump-dribble-midrange jumpers. 

Stix grabbed FIFTEEN REBOUNDS today vs. Adrien and Thabeet at PF against the #1 team in the nation. 

sjd8886

« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2009, 08:00:07 PM »
can mason just work on not fading away on all his jumpers and to be aggressive, so maybe he can be an nba 2 gaurd...i know you guys think we would be too overloaded at the gaurd but hey, be overloaded with talent is something ive been waiting for for about 6 years

Marillac

« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2009, 08:17:03 PM »
can mason just work on not fading away on all his jumpers and to be aggressive, so maybe he can be an nba 2 gaurd...i know you guys think we would be too overloaded at the gaurd but hey, be overloaded with talent is something ive been waiting for for about 6 years

Mason doesn't have the handle to play guard.

sjd8886

« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2009, 12:48:08 AM »
can mason just work on not fading away on all his jumpers and to be aggressive, so maybe he can be an nba 2 guard...i know you guys think we would be too overloaded at the guard but hey, be overloaded with talent is something ive been waiting for for about 6 years

to play the SG?  Well hes not a 4 or 5, and def not a 1 guard...so hes either a SF or SG...and, in my opinion, the handle needed to play either is the same, so i dont think it matters, in terms of his handle, whether he plays in the nba as a 2 or as a 3
« Last Edit: February 15, 2009, 01:53:57 AM by Dave »

Marillac

« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2009, 03:22:48 AM »
can mason just work on not fading away on all his jumpers and to be aggressive, so maybe he can be an nba 2 guard...i know you guys think we would be too overloaded at the guard but hey, be overloaded with talent is something ive been waiting for for about 6 years

to play the SG?  Well hes not a 4 or 5, and def not a 1 guard...so hes either a SF or SG...and, in my opinion, the handle needed to play either is the same, so i dont think it matters, in terms of his handle, whether he plays in the nba as a 2 or as a 3

I don't like Mason at the two unless there is a good ballhandler playing the three.  If we roll out Mase and Horne at the same time, we are going to get killed with pressure, as neither has a good handle. 

« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2009, 10:00:32 AM »

I don't like Mason at the two unless there is a good ballhandler playing the three.  If we roll out Mase and Horne at the same time, we are going to get killed with pressure, as neither has a good handle.

I think you underrate Horne's handle. His left is light years ahead of what it was last year. He blows by guys all the time with his left just he struggles after he gets past them if the lane is clear because he can't stop and pop.

Marillac

« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2009, 03:51:11 PM »

I think you underrate Horne's handle. His left is light years ahead of what it was last year. He blows by guys all the time with his left just he struggles after he gets past them if the lane is clear because he can't stop and pop.

If Horne's handle was better then why do we use a 6'5 freshman SG to handle the ball in Boothe's absence?  After him, we rely on a 6'6 SF to run our offense and help break the press.  Even a completely overmatched Ty is used before even considering Paris to beat the pressure.  He also only averages two assists per game.

Paris does well when he only has to put the ball on the floor for a few bounces, but after that he shows his suspect handle. 

« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2009, 08:32:50 PM »

If Horne's handle was better then why do we use a 6'5 freshman SG to handle the ball in Boothe's absence?  After him, we rely on a 6'6 SF to run our offense and help break the press.  Even a completely overmatched Ty is used before even considering Paris to beat the pressure.  He also only averages two assists per game.

Paris does well when he only has to put the ball on the floor for a few bounces, but after that he shows his suspect handle.

So now all of a sudden our coaching staff is geniuses and plays everyone properly?   ;D I think Horne could play PG but he is better suited at SG. I think

The combo of...

PG- Q
SG- Horne

is greater than

PG-Horne
SG- Q

Also when I look at a player's attributes I tend to rate them based upon their position. I also feel that "handling" incorporates dribbling, passing, and speed. I think Paris has great speed and first step. More times than not he can get past his man. Dribbling... I think Paris possess a good combination of right and left hand while sporting an above average crossover. Then there is passing...I think Paris is an average passer. He looks to create off the dribble and while he looks to finish first he also does his fair share of distributing too. I wouldn't label Horne as a distributor though because he is more of a finisher. Now I'm not making him out to be AI but I do think he has good handles.

Paris struggles when he can't get to the rim. Sometimes he blows by his man and has to stop and pop. I think his body hasn't caught up to his mind when he does this because he often over shoots. Hopefully next year or two the game will slow down more for him and he can make that.

Marillac

« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2009, 10:34:53 PM »

So now all of a sudden our coaching staff is geniuses and plays everyone properly?   ;D

Well played.

« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2009, 11:12:08 PM »

So now all of a sudden our coaching staff is geniuses and plays everyone properly?   ;D

Well played.
:)