Bubble

• 44 replies
Re: Bubble
« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2013, 03:21:43 PM »
ON Paper, the Villanova game was not a bad loss, but the reality is that if Amir doesn't foul a player shooting a three, we win that game. 

There are tons of things to pinpoint if you want after that game.  Not solely Amir.  How about any missed FT for starters.

I blame the Aggie's mentally challenged technical for the loss and always will.

Of course you would :)

I'm sure I can find 3 reasons we lost the game from someone else's night ;)

Yes.  Physical errors (missed ft's, turnovers, bad passes, etc. ) and officiating "mistakes" are a dime a dozen and occur constantly on the court.  But the ever rare mental error of an ill-timed technical stands apart from all of that.  Which is why I judge it much more harshly.

dR3w

« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2013, 03:49:27 PM »
There hasn't been an 18 win (or less) At-Large Bid since 2008.  Most years there are one or two 19 win At-Large Bids.   I think this team needs at least 20 wins, and I would say that even that wouldn't be a lock with some of the bad losses and lack of quality road wins.

In 2009-2010 Virginia Tech was 23-8 (10-6), and didn't get in.  What would you say if StJ finished with that record and didn't get in?
They lost to awful Miami team in the first round of the ACC tourny. Having played one of the weakest OOC schedules in the country, that loss gave the committee what they needed to leave them out. 

Well with that reasoning (One bad loss is indicative of whether you should play in the tourney or not), then the loss to SF and even UNCA should tell the committee all they need to know about St Johns ... right?  It is "the body of work" that matters.

Well yeah and that's what was stated.  They had no body of work.  They played no one out of conference, had an RPI of 58 and were 1-3 against ranked opponents.   By comparison G Tech had 4 wins against ranked teams and got to the conference final that year.

He stated two things.  One was that a bad loss clinched it for them, which I refuted.  The other is that they played a weak schedule, which is true, but It was one that they almost swept.  And finally, that weak Va Tech actually beat Georgia Tech @ Georgia Tech. 

I just think that if StJ was in the same position, same record, and they didn't get in, there would be a lot of angry fans, myself included.

« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2013, 06:50:26 PM »
By clinched it he meant that they weren't in, needed some tourney wins and failed miserably at getting them by losing to Miami which sealed their fate.

I am sure many STJ fans would be mad if the same happened to STJ.  They'd be wrong but boy would they be angry.  There'd probably even be a thread about it. 

« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2013, 07:05:38 PM »
FWIW Syracuse was similarly kept out twice in the early aughts due to their insistence on playing a putrid OOC all at home every year.  Don't remember the years but I'm sure their fans were pissed off too while we all laughed.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 07:33:40 PM by yankcranker »

Moose

« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2013, 07:09:13 PM »
Thought it might need to be posted again if it already was

NCAA Bubble Watch: BIG EAST By The Numbers

In assessing the young Red Storm's NCAA Tournament chances, the following is a breakdown of success by total wins for BIG EAST teams (following the BIG EAST Tournament) since the first year of the league's automatic bid (1982-83).
17 overall wins -- 167 of 209 teams reached the NCAA (79.9 percent)
18 overall wins -- 161 of 189 (85.2 percent)
19 overall wins -- 145 of 160 (90.6 percent)
20 overall wins -- 147 of 152 (96.7percent )
In 2011-12, nine of 11 BIG EAST teams with at least 17 wins after the BIG EAST Tournament reached the NCAA Tournament, with only Pitt and Seton Hall failing to qualify. Eight of the nine 20-win teams made it (Seton Hall missed).
Taking a look at conference win totals, only two teams since the 2005-06 BIG EAST expansion -- and eight in league history -- failed to be selected for the NCAA Tournament after mounting a 10-win campaign. Pitt in 1996-97, Providence in 2008-09 and Villanova in 1993-94 were all NIT teams after going 10-8 in league play.
Seton Hall in 2002-03 and Syracuse in 2001-02 and 2006-07 both were in the NIT after posting a 10-6 conference record.
Villanova in 1991-92 and West Virginia in 1996-97 were NIT teams after going 11-7.
Remember who broke the Slice news