Head coaches Post Louie

• 63 replies

Foad

Re: Head coaches Post Louie
« Reply #60 on: February 10, 2015, 05:36:16 PM »
Back to when we were good. I thought we were too predictable.

Thirty years ago now. Sad.

Lou's half court offense was designed to beat Army and NYU. And it did. Mel Davis said that Lou made bad basketball player good and great basketball players good also. Truer words. You'd have to work to lose hard with a team anchored by Berry and Mullin. Louie managed it.

« Reply #61 on: February 11, 2015, 03:17:37 PM »
Lou's half court offense was designed to beat Army and NYU. And it did. 

It was his half court defense that bugged me more.  We played that man to man that didn't start till the opponent crossed the halfway line.  Than g*d forbid we were behind late,  it seemed like we were ill prepared to apply full court pressure or any kind of trapping defense.

« Reply #62 on: February 12, 2015, 09:03:33 AM »

Lou's half court offense was designed to beat Army and NYU. And it did. Mel Davis said that Lou made bad basketball player good and great basketball players good also. Truer words. You'd have to work to lose hard with a team anchored by Berry and Mullin. Louie managed it.

Funny thing is that Mel didn't even play for Looie. He played for Frank Mulzoff. Yet he was right. Looie kept his team in the game against superior teams, and let inferior teams keep pace with his more talented squads. Looie was a creature of habit, and taught what he knew. And taught it well. The problem was that it didn't include a full court press or a zone defense. So his teams never had a full toolbox to draw from. Yet he would get the fans their 20 wins. With all that said, he still set the bar too high for everyone that followed him.

« Reply #63 on: February 12, 2015, 10:29:10 AM »

Funny thing is that Mel didn't even play for Looie. He played for Frank Mulzoff. Yet he was right. Looie kept his team in the game against superior teams, and let inferior teams keep pace with his more talented squads. Looie was a creature of habit, and taught what he knew. And taught it well. The problem was that it didn't include a full court press or a zone defense. So his teams never had a full toolbox to draw from. Yet he would get the fans their 20 wins. With all that said, he still set the bar too high for everyone that followed him.

In my mind I can only recall two of his teams that should have gone much further.
Mullin's soph team: Wennington / Allen, Russell, Mullin, Goodwin, Kevin Williams
and
Berry Team: Berry, Jones, Glass, Rowan, Jackson. That team sort of had an excuse in that Berry sprained his ankle at end of year and was not 100% in tourney