Ponds - 9 pts 2.5 asts 2.5 rebs 23 min
Ahmed - 11 pts 2 asts  4.5 rebs 25 min
Yakwe - 8 pts 8 rebs 2 blk 28 min
Sima - 9 pts 7 Rebs 2 blk 25 min

Mussini - 9 pts 2 asts 2 rebs 18 min
Freudenberg - 6 pts 3 Rbs 1 blk 16 min
Owens - 6 pts 4 Rebs 1 blk. 18 min
Ellison - 6 pts 2 rebs 2 asts 16 min

I don't disagree with any particular player, but someone is going to step up to score 14+ ppg.  The likely candidates are Ponds, Ahmed, and RF.  Lovett is certainly capable but I think we'd be better off if he focused mostly on distributing.

I agree with Tha Kid that Sima is being underrated by nearly everyone.  He showed great potential before the ability and he moves around well for a guy that is no more than an average athlete. I just don't see how any big accumulates big stars this year with so many talented and unique players and the amour of small lineups we'll see. The best lineup might be three guards, RF or Ahmed at the four and Yakwe at the five.

RF could be a monster right away or he could need some time to adjust. It's really
 hard to predict for him. Lovett and Ponds, though, are going to be killers from day one.

Foad

Re: Expectations for the 16-17 season
« Reply #61 on: May 20, 2016, 01:55:51 PM »
Rich 10.5 ppg 6 rebs 3 assists 1.5 blocks IMO.

Some of you guys need to watch more tape and realize that there is a 6'9 German gazelle that is on his way to Queens-

Malik Sealy averaged 13 points, 6 rebounds and 2 assists a game as a freshman - in 37 minutes a game.

I heard he was pretty good

Well he was no gazelle

« Reply #62 on: May 20, 2016, 02:23:35 PM »
Really improved went he got rid of that haircut

QuanMan

« Reply #63 on: May 20, 2016, 02:27:57 PM »

Some of you guys need to watch more tape and realize that there is a 6'9 German gazelle that is on his way to Queens-

Malik Sealy averaged 13 points, 6 rebounds and 2 assists a game as a freshman - in 37 minutes a game.

I heard he was pretty good

Well he was no gazelle
Listen I'm not comparing Rich to Malik Sealy Foad, you did that. I'm just saying we're getting a immediate contributor, global prospect who is of the Dirk Nowitzki mold and no one is really grasping it just yet. This kid is a stud, as is Bash, and they are both going to ball together out this year. We have real depth at the 3/4.
Section 3
Section 116

desco80

« Reply #64 on: May 20, 2016, 02:53:46 PM »
I usually hate it when fans start predicting big things from unknown recruits.  But I gotta say I like what I'm hearing from quanman.   Maybe it's because I can see what he's talking about in the videos. 

But we're due for an overseas kid to be surprisingly good. 
Hell, we're due for a recruit who outshines his hype period.  Last one to do that was Hardy as a senior.

RF has size and can shoot it, that's a pretty good place to start from. 

Foad

« Reply #65 on: May 20, 2016, 03:14:51 PM »
Listen I'm not comparing Rich to Malik Sealy Foad, you did that.

You said he was going to average in half as many minutes what one of the great players in SJ history did in full time minutes and advised us to watch more youtube clips if we didn't believe you. I don't believe you and there aren't enough youtube clips in the world to convince me otherwise. Mullin averaged 16 and 3 as a freshman in 35 minutes, you're lucky I didn't mention him.

QuanMan

« Reply #66 on: May 20, 2016, 03:23:54 PM »

You said he was going to average in half as many minutes what one of the great players in SJ history did in full time minutes and advised us to watch more youtube clips if we didn't believe you. I don't believe you and there aren't enough youtube clips in the world to convince me otherwise. Mullin averaged 16 and 3 as a freshman in 35 minutes, you're lucky I didn't mention him.
I'm not putting a cap on his minutes. He's a 6'9 sharpshooter that can run the fastbreak lanes, finish in transition, flush it w two hands, create a shot off the dribble, and hit 30 foot set shots w precision. I expect him to get atleast 20mpg.
Section 3
Section 116

« Reply #67 on: May 20, 2016, 03:37:28 PM »

I'm not putting a cap on his minutes. He's a 6'9 sharpshooter that can run the fastbreak lanes, finish in transition, flush it w two hands, create a shot off the dribble, and hit 30 foot set shots w precision. I expect him to get atleast 20mpg.

If he can do all of that and he only gets 20 minutes then coach ST Jean should be fired
« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 03:38:02 PM by we are sju »

Foad

« Reply #68 on: May 20, 2016, 03:52:57 PM »

20 minutes is half as many Mullin and Sealy played as freshman. So you expect him to be about as productive as the two greatest 4 year players in sj history in half as many minutes as they played, because you watched a you tube highlight video. I'll be happy if he averages 6 points and 2 rebounds - which is more than I expect - so we'll have to agree to disagree.

goredmen

« Reply #69 on: May 20, 2016, 04:02:41 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eF4eVklqQdo

Geez, those teams close out on shooters worse than we did last year.

RF will be a very good player in time, but expecting more than 7-8 ppg in his freshman year is asking a lot. Let's hope we don't need him to score 10 ppg next year

« Reply #70 on: May 20, 2016, 04:08:19 PM »

Not to mention, Looie's not coaching him.

Marillac

« Reply #71 on: May 20, 2016, 04:13:33 PM »
Something with RF's deep shot doesn't add up. His form is always good but his makes catch a lot of iron and his %s don't match his mechanics.  It looks like he needs more arch on that bad boy like Ponds.

« Reply #72 on: May 20, 2016, 04:21:42 PM »
My shot

Lovett - 12 pts 5 asts 2 rebs 28 min

I don't disagree with any particular player, but someone is going to step up to score 14+ ppg.  The likely candidates are Ponds, Ahmed, and RF.  Lovett is certainly capable but I think we'd be better off if he focused mostly on distributing.

I agree with Tha Kid that Sima is being underrated by nearly everyone.  He showed great potential before the ability and he moves around well for a guy that is no more than an average athlete. I just don't see how any big accumulates big stars this year with so many talented and unique players and the amour of small lineups we'll see. The best lineup might be three guards, RF or Ahmed at the four and Yakwe at the five.

RF could be a monster right away or he could need some time to adjust. It's really
 hard to predict for him. Lovett and Ponds, though, are going to be killers from day one.

I just don't think there is anyway rf gets the minutes to score 14 let alone double digits. If he gets 25 minutes ( a lot imo) he'd still have to take as much shots as anyone on the team to get 14 pts. Lot of scorers ok this team. I think it will be pretty well spread out.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

paultzman

« Reply #73 on: May 20, 2016, 04:34:18 PM »
My shot

I just don't think there is anyway rf gets the minutes to score 14 let alone double digits. If he gets 25 minutes ( a lot imo) he'd still have to take as much shots as anyone on the team to get 14 pts. Lot of scorers ok this team. I think it will be pretty well spread out.

We do tend to overestimate impact of new players, especially in May. :)

Marillac

« Reply #74 on: May 20, 2016, 05:50:30 PM »
My shot

To be clear, I don't either. I think someone will, though. He's a candidate with his talent, but he could also average five or less. I think the only locks for next year are Lovett and Ponds being really good on offense and Mussini getting at least 8 ppg. 

« Reply #75 on: May 20, 2016, 07:58:47 PM »
I personally think sima is getting underrated by pretty much everyone.  He was progressing by leaps and bounds until the injury derailed the rest of his season IMO.  Was not the same player when he returned.  After a summer of hitting weights and working on his game and with a legit PG I think everyone will be raving about him next year.   I don't doubt it may not be until junior year that he really becomes a monster but I'm expecting something like 12 and 9 and 2.5 from him.  With Lovett and ponds drawing the defense attention on penetration I expect sima to get a couple easy buckets a game and then a few more that he works for, on average.

Sima will be a pro, gotta work on footwork and touch around the basket though. Yawke is our best player right now imo and will enjoying easy baskets with Lovett delivering the ball

You could pitch a tent while he's backing his man down in the paint. He's got be faster. That may work on the small schools, but in the BE, he was overmatched. He certainly had some stellar games, like vs RU and SU, but where did that guy go? Is it just his hand?
Hopefully his decisiveness improves...I think that is the key in the post game...only takes a 2nd for help defense to arrive...need quick decision making...take it to the hole or move it back it out

Poison

« Reply #76 on: May 21, 2016, 07:56:12 AM »

Great, but who is he doing this against? Other German kids?  Japan? Just about every recruit has YouTube videos that showcase their abilities. If that's how they played all the time, there would be no projects in college ball because everyone would be a future pro.

Have a look at this YouTube clip of a high school player at IS8. Kid looks like the real deal.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UVc3wtnay0k

Freudenberg may yet turn out to be a very good player, and possibly even from the very start. But if you think that's something you can recognize solely from a YouTube highlight video, I think you are being naive.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2016, 12:21:26 PM by Poison »

« Reply #77 on: May 21, 2016, 12:27:29 PM »

I'm going to guess that the "Quan" in Quanman doesnt stand for quantitative analysis

« Reply #78 on: February 13, 2017, 11:25:22 PM »
This was fun to read through.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Poison

« Reply #79 on: February 13, 2017, 11:36:48 PM »
If 3/4 of our returning frosh regress like that we are screwed

Yep, pretty much what happened.