Game 5: VCU Game Discussion

• 82 replies

kjd01067

Re: Game 5: VCU Game Discussion
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2016, 09:07:25 PM »
Why does Ellison play? Would much rather have Mussini on the floor (despite the defensive deficiencies)

boo3

« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2016, 09:07:39 PM »
And I forgot free throws....lol, but that is almost every year/season.

I like that we are playing tough( decent?) competition early though . It will only help as season progresses...

All isn't lost... Main guys are freshman or first year guys.....they'll figure it out... I'm sick of this excuse/reason though. 

« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2016, 09:08:29 PM »
Again  if our staff taught the fundamentals maybe things would be different

« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2016, 09:09:40 PM »
14 turnovers

« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2016, 09:10:18 PM »

Shouldn't have to teach fundamentals at the college level. Recruit smarter players

Poison

« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2016, 09:11:14 PM »
Pathetic.

« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2016, 09:13:22 PM »

I like that we are playing tough( decent?) competition early though . It will only help as season progresses...

All isn't lost... Main guys are freshman or first year guys.....they'll figure it out... I'm sick of this excuse/reason though. 

Next year the excuse will be that the transfers need time to gel

« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2016, 09:14:05 PM »

Shouldn't have to teach fundamentals at the college level. Recruit smarter players

You still have to work on the fundamentals in college.  The team has too much free reign.

« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2016, 09:15:24 PM »

Next year the excuse will be that the transfers need time to gel

I hope that's not the case, but I'm kinda expecting it.

« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2016, 09:22:13 PM »
Lovett was due for a bad game, but he made some dumb plays tonight.  Turnover at the end of half cost us two points and missed wide open dunk was followed by a basket. 

We have to execute better and take better shots.  Too much one on one. 

I think we need to get Freudenberg more involved on the offensive side of the ball.  Our current bigs (4's and 5's) can't shoot.  We need someone like him to spread the defenses.

desco80

« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2016, 09:34:10 PM »
Frustrating loss.  Like everybody else I'd like to see more fundamental defense and less one on one offensively.

We're a mediocre team at the moment.  If the defense and shot selection improve ... we'll get better.   
And although I'm as tired of the excuses as everyone else is, the teamwork and shot selection on offense should improve with time and experience.
Defense?  That's a different story.  Guys have to buy in.  It's a mindset, and you can't let up.  Coaches have to light some fires under a few guys to improve the defense. 

« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2016, 09:37:15 PM »

You still have to work on the fundamentals in college.  The team has too much free reign.

Work on sure, not learn

Poison

« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2016, 09:44:03 PM »

Staff's team. We're seeing their system.

« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2016, 09:46:13 PM »
love him but TO at end of half, missed dunk, and 0-2 trip to the line were the three turning points in my mind. Mullin can't play from 5 min left to 1 without calling a timeout. We had 5-6 possessions of terrible offense with a chance to take the lead.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Poison

« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2016, 10:00:11 PM »
love him but TO at end of half, missed dunk, and 0-2 trip to the line were the three turning points in my mind. Mullin can't play from 5 min left to 1 without calling a timeout. We had 5-6 possessions of terrible offense with a chance to take the lead.

There are no signs that he has any idea what he's doing.

« Reply #35 on: November 24, 2016, 10:05:45 PM »
Sucks to lose such a winnable game.

Poison

« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2016, 10:15:16 PM »
Sucks to lose such a winnable game.

It should suck for VCU that they played down to their competition.

« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2016, 10:23:14 PM »
People need to stop. If we're losing these games in Jan and Feb then we can bitch.  Our 3 main players are brand new. Will take a few more games for everyone to get comfortable.  we can't expect a complete overhaul in a week.

boo3

« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2016, 10:23:22 PM »
St. John's Men's Basketball 2016-17 -  One Year Away, but this year we mean it.....

Lol...right up there with, Ya Gotta Believe...

I like the players on this team a lot... Plenty of season left.. Gotta hope someone figures out how to run an offense to get good shots consistently. 

« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2016, 10:25:46 PM »