Game 5: VCU Game Discussion

• 82 replies

Foad

Re: Game 5: VCU Game Discussion
« Reply #60 on: November 25, 2016, 12:12:39 PM »
Frankly, until we can prove that we can take at least 1 game from a big team in these big time tournaments we do not deserve to be playing in them. I am not saying we should expect to win the tournaments or be a power in them, just asking for a pulse. 2 years straight, 2 times we fall flat. Last year was clearly worse but I would rather play in them when we actually have a contender team like next year. Young, inexperienced teams like ours need cupcakes early season to build confidence and chemistry- not Michigan State and VCU.

Someone's listening

One of the 10 winningest programs in the history of college basketball, St. John’s has once again been invited a prestigious Thanksgiving Weekend tournament, as the Red Storm will participate in the 2017 AdvoCare Invitational. The tournament, which will be held at HP Field House at ESPN Wide World of Sports near Orlando, Fla., will feature eight teams playing three games each on Nov. 23, 24 and 26. Former BIG EAST foe West Virginia, currently ranked no. 19 in the current Associated Press, headlines the field with St. John’s, alongside Long Beach State, Marist, Missouri, Nebraska, Oregon State and UCF.

http://www.redstormsports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/112516aac.html

« Reply #61 on: November 25, 2016, 12:12:44 PM »
Another birthday today!  My first StJ game was in 1956, and I was a freshman..  I'm beginning to feel like a Cubs fan..........in 1909!  But, unlike the the Cubs fans I know we're going to win pretty soon. We star 3 first year guys and they are all world kids. A couple of these youngsters are as good as Coach when he was a frosh at their own position. They, with the second year guys,  are learning to play "clutch". The don't now but they will.this season.
Take it easy! Even I was thrown off by the first two wins. I should know better. I had predicted 12 wins this year and, now, even after these two games think we will win at least 15. Next year is our time.  We are,,,,,,,,,,!!

« Reply #62 on: November 25, 2016, 12:37:54 PM »
We should bring Ponds off the bench

« Reply #63 on: November 25, 2016, 12:40:10 PM »

Why?
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #64 on: November 25, 2016, 12:45:15 PM »

Why?

I think Mussini needs to get in the flow of the game early, calm these guys down a bit. Ponds off the bench can change the pace. Ponds and Lovett come out firing at the tipoff and can't maintain. Hence the 2nd half breakdowns.

« Reply #65 on: November 25, 2016, 12:47:57 PM »
On the early season tourneys with superior teams, Bring 'Em On!  You can never be the best unless you play and beat the best. We played and beat Michigan State when they were Champs. We just happened to lose this time so we are 2-1 with them.. Play on....we will get ours soon. Be patient and enjoy the ride up!

« Reply #66 on: November 25, 2016, 12:48:35 PM »
I think guys are figuring out their roles/identities a bit on this team. Coaches need to figure out a rotation and combos so guys can buy into their roles and be comfy in them.

Lovett and Ponds have been as good if not better than advertised. Sure they've had their mistakes but really hard to toss blame their way. Need the 3rd or 4th man to step up. I was hoping that would be Bash & Mussini along with Ellison. Sima is doing about what is needed out of him but I think he needs about 5 more mpg.

I know a lot of the players on VCU since they were 8th grade or so and they have a lot of solid and experienced guys. Williams, Burgess, and Cox were all tremendous values for VCU from Shaka's time there. Plus Lewis, Brooks, Hamdy all seniors too. That won out in the end.

They will be a top tier A-10 and most likely NCAA tourney team and we could have beat them.

« Reply #67 on: November 25, 2016, 12:50:34 PM »

Why?

I think Mussini needs to get in the flow of the game early, calm these guys down a bit. Ponds off the bench can change the pace. Ponds and Lovett come out firing at the tipoff and can't maintain. Hence the 2nd half breakdowns.

I'm not sure Ponds to the bench is the solution but I agree they need to figure out a way to get Mussini more involved offensively without going Lovett, Ponds, Mussini 1,2,3 leaving someone guarding someone they shouldn't.

When Mussini checks in there should be ways to get him coming off screens to get shots up. Let the defense worry about him which will only open up the lane even more.

« Reply #68 on: November 25, 2016, 01:03:29 PM »

Why?

I'm not sure Ponds to the bench is the solution but I agree they need to figure out a way to get Mussini more involved offensively without going Lovett, Ponds, Mussini 1,2,3 leaving someone guarding someone they shouldn't.

When Mussini checks in there should be ways to get him coming off screens to get shots up. Let the defense worry about him which will only open up the lane even more.

I think it's much easier for Ponds to adjust to the game  coming off the bench than Mussini. 

Mussini banged 2 3's. Then Lovett tried to take over, freezing out Mussini. Then back to the bench he went until 14 seconds left in the game. All 3 should be on the court in the final minutes, not Ellison imo

« Reply #69 on: November 25, 2016, 01:11:25 PM »

Why?

I can't wait for next year when Mussini is either off the team or redshirting so we can get a break from this.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2016, 01:11:52 PM by we are sju »

« Reply #70 on: November 25, 2016, 01:15:12 PM »

Why?

I can't wait for next year when Mussini is either off the team or redshirting so we can get a break from this.

Maybe the trio of Muss, Ellison and Ahmed will be gone

« Reply #71 on: November 25, 2016, 01:21:04 PM »

Why?

2 out of 3 wouldn't be bad

« Reply #72 on: November 25, 2016, 01:22:37 PM »

Why?

I know 1 of them is not too happy at St John's or with the coaching philosophy or lack thereof

Foad

« Reply #73 on: November 25, 2016, 01:44:13 PM »

Why?

I know 1 of them is not too happy at St John's or with the coaching philosophy or lack thereof

Tell Mussini that if he's unhappy and wants to go back to Italy I'll buy him a ticket.

« Reply #74 on: November 25, 2016, 01:54:48 PM »

Why?

Tell Mussini that if he's unhappy and wants to go back to Italy I'll buy him a ticket.

The ticket you would have to buy will be a lot cheaper than a plane ticket

« Reply #75 on: November 25, 2016, 01:56:15 PM »

Why?

Or deport him to Sweeden like they did to Roman Maroni in Johnny Dangerously

"I would like to direct this to the distinguished members of the panel: You lousy cork-soakers. You have violated my farging rights. Dis somanumbatching country was founded so that the liberties of common patriotic citizens like me could not be taken away by a bunch of fargin iceholes... like yourselves. "

Underrated movie

« Reply #76 on: November 25, 2016, 02:06:17 PM »

Why?

Ahmed ?

« Reply #77 on: November 25, 2016, 02:13:36 PM »

Why?

Ahmed ?

Yea he wants to go to a school where offensive fouls are encouraged
« Last Edit: November 25, 2016, 02:18:28 PM by we are sju »

Foad

« Reply #78 on: November 25, 2016, 02:16:51 PM »

Why?

Ahmed ?

That'd be hard to believe, he shoots every time he touches the ball, if he didn't want to he could pass.

If it's Ellison similarly hard to believe, he's playing 21 minutes in the Big East when he should be playing 10 in the MAAC. If it's him I'll spring for a taxi ride to Iona. I'd but him a bus ticket but he'd probably miss it.

« Reply #79 on: November 25, 2016, 02:26:58 PM »

Why?

Ahmed ?

That'd be hard to believe, he shoots every time he touches the ball, if he didn't want to he could pass.

If it's Ellison similarly hard to believe, he's playing 21 minutes in the Big East when he should be playing 10 in the MAAC. If it's him I'll spring for a taxi ride to Iona. I'd but him a bus ticket but he'd probably miss it.

Ellison can be a force at Baruch