• 105 replies
Re: How to fix this team?
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2016, 04:31:25 PM »
Hire Tim Cluess at end of the season.

« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2016, 04:32:51 PM »
Recruit better Big Guys

Thought we had great recruiters?

We have great recruiter.  Singular.  The problem is there aren't that many good big guys around---and fewer who want to come to St. John's right now. 

« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2016, 04:37:28 PM »
Recruit better Big Guys

We have great recruiter.  Singular.  The problem is there aren't that many good big guys around---and fewer who want to come to St. John's right now. 

Ok. We have a recruiter who needs to recruit better players.  So he needs to get better at his job

TONYD3

« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2016, 04:44:58 PM »
Our big guys were rated plenty high. Our guys had major offers from other schools. On paper our guys stack up fine. Well aware that games aren't played on paper. I bet old dominion could find something for sima to do. VCU would love yakwe. LIU would be fine with Williams or Owens .
We may not have enough talent to be a good basketball team yet . But the problem is not talent.

« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2016, 04:46:06 PM »
Recruit better Big Guys

Ok. We have a recruiter who needs to recruit better players.  So he needs to get better at his job

I really hate agreeing with Bluto and I love the two guards but you can go anywhere to get better front court guys than what we have. Just need someone to catch the damn ball, dunk it occasionally and grab 7 boards. We recruited 3 guys that can only block shots and one guy who is less athletic than my keyboard.

Johnny23

« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2016, 04:51:23 PM »
To recruit better players, we need to win more games. To win more games, we need to recruit better players.

We need Lovett back and then we need to run our offense, instill it in these guys so they run it over and over again.  We need to implement a defense and do the same thing. We also need in-game adjustments to when teams are stopping us what we do best. A lot of coaching involved here.

« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2016, 04:55:31 PM »
Didn't we think we had some good front court players?

« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2016, 05:06:11 PM »

I think Yakwe is sitting in someone's basement and the guy playing is his evil twin.
Sima had more potential than he showed but a much lower ceiling than Yakwe.
Owens would be a fine 7th man. And that is a compliment. 15 mins off the bench is his ceiling.
RF is Germany's payback to us for WW's 1 & II.

And are we sure ST John's has a gym with weights and stuff? If we really have a gym someone should suggest our players visit it. If we ever get into a fight I can see Ahmed squaring off with the other team while everyone else runs for the hills.

Foad

« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2016, 05:07:33 PM »

No, we thought we had some players who could develop into good front court players. Sima and Yawke were obvious projects, Owens hasn't played in a year and Williams doesn't have shoulder bones or something. The only one who stinks is Alobegowth and he was one of Lavin's gems. It's asking a lot for anyone - even Chris Mullin - to field a fully competitive team from scratch in 15 months. The problem isn't the recruiting, it's the lack of continuity. In legitimate programs there are upperclassmen who can play while the projects find their way. That's why the jettisoning of Christian Jones was so puzzling.

« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2016, 05:12:39 PM »

No, we thought we had some players who could develop into good front court players. Sima and Yawke were obvious projects, Owens hasn't played in a year and Williams doesn't have shoulder bones or something. The only one who stinks is Alobegowth and he was one of Lavin's gems. It's asking a lot for anyone - even Chris Mullin - to field a fully competitive team from scratch in 15 months. The problem isn't the recruiting, it's the lack of continuity. In legitimate programs there are upperclassmen who can play while the projects find their way. That's why the jettisoning of Christian Jones was so puzzling.

Yes but in addition to Jones, who could have helped a JUCO version of Jones would have been nice as well. For all of the love on here for Owens from time to time, he , Sima and Yakwe all had basically same strengths and weaknesses.

« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2016, 05:16:55 PM »
So Wait? We are looking for some transfers and some graduate transfers now? Good thing we chased Slice out of here

TONYD3

« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2016, 05:20:09 PM »

This is not to argue, but what did you see in Christian jones? From my memory he had three good offensive games. 2 were blowouts. In the other the Marquette kid couldn't guard him. But Christian couldn't guard him either.

Foad

« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2016, 05:21:50 PM »

Yes but in addition to Jones, who could have helped a JUCO version of Jones would have been nice as well. For all of the love on here for Owens from time to time, he , Sima and Yakwe all had basically same strengths and weaknesses.

I'm not saying that things are perfect or that Mullin is infallible. Obviously the front court is a problem: we need a big guy with hands. Allegedly there's a couple of those coming in next year. Rome wasn't burnt in a day. 

« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2016, 05:23:30 PM »

This is not to argue, but what did you see in Christian jones? From my memory he had three good offensive games. 2 were blowouts. In the other the Marquette kid couldn't guard him. But Christian couldn't guard him either.

Jones was a solid player who if given minutes could have gotten you 10 and 6. No one on our frontline can do even that. Jones also has a nice touch, good hands and no one would kick sand in his face at the beach. Again none of our bigs could say that.

Foad

« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2016, 05:32:33 PM »

Jones had half a dozen double doubles last year against BE competition. He's big, he's strong, he has good hands, he scores, he rebounds and he'd perhaps offer the sort of upper class leadership that this team lacks. Plus if he were here Alibowitxh would not be. Nobody on this team plays defense so his is hardly a disqualification. You know who else would have helped this year? Felix Balamou, who Lavin robbed of a year, because if he were here we wouldn't have to watch Malik Ellison play. 

« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2016, 05:45:17 PM »
Talent is not the problem.  We are literally the second least experienced team in the country with a head coach with no prior coaching experience, and our star PG is hurt.  Xs and Os assistant would definitely help, but experience is the biggest thing holding us back in my opinion.

While losses to LIU and Delaware State are abhorrent no matter the situation, this year is about developing chemistry and getting experience so we can compete for a bid next year.  I hope we are still on track.  13 wins would be fine.

« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2016, 05:56:15 PM »
Talent is not the problem.  We are literally the second least experienced team in the country with a head coach with no prior coaching experience, and our star PG is hurt.  Xs and Os assistant would definitely help, but experience is the biggest thing holding us back in my opinion.

While losses to LIU and Delaware State are abhorrent no matter the situation, this year is about developing chemistry and getting experience so we can compete for a bid next year.  I hope we are still on track.  13 wins would be fine.
Least experienced team?  Who cares? I'm sure the Big East will take it easy on us. We had 2 sophomore bigs, a transfer, and 2 juniors. We are young?

TONYD3

« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2016, 05:59:54 PM »

Jones had half a dozen double doubles last year against BE competition. He's big, he's strong, he has good hands, he scores, he rebounds and he'd perhaps offer the sort of upper class leadership that this team lacks. Plus if he were here Alibowitxh would not be. Nobody on this team plays defense so his is hardly a disqualification. You know who else would have helped this year? Felix Balamou, who Lavin robbed of a year, because if he were here we wouldn't have to watch Malik Ellison play. 
Maybe you are right.

TONYD3

« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2016, 06:01:19 PM »

Not getting 13 wins. And I think there is talent for that.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 06:05:53 PM by TONYD3 »

« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2016, 06:53:50 PM »
Recruit better Big Guys

I really hate agreeing with Bluto and I love the two guards but you can go anywhere to get better front court guys than what we have. Just need someone to catch the damn ball, dunk it occasionally and grab 7 boards. We recruited 3 guys that can only block shots and one guy who is less athletic than my keyboard.

First recruiting class for a new staff, with limited time to recruit them.  They did a fine job considering.