DePaul

• 169 replies
Re: DePaul
« Reply #140 on: January 01, 2017, 06:29:08 PM »
A road win in the BE is always a great win. Very excited with the results of the last 3 games, but I'm trying to keep things in perspective and remember some of the bad bad losses. I am a little worried about Yakwe (he didn't sniff the game in the 2nd half as Williams was outplaying him). I'm afraid he will go by the way of Sima. His body language is not great. He started to worry me during the Syracuse game when St. Jean turned around to the bench before a media timeout and told Yakwe to shut the #$%^ up.

Wow..Really ???  St. Jean dropped an F-bomb on Yakwe ??

Marillac

« Reply #141 on: January 01, 2017, 06:38:08 PM »
My thoughts:

Eli Cain is nasty. Garrett Jr. is the most overrated player in the league year after year. 

Williams - has more offensive skill than the rest of our bigs combined. Still a defensive liability in space, but great complement to Owens. His offensive rebounds won this game and he was at the very least the player of the second half. We've needed an offensive rebounder like that for years. He looked like dog sh*t three weeks ago but now:  renew that ship!

Owens - ultimate glue guy...Mr. Hustle. Already better than Obekpa ever was just by working hard and not being a diva. Guys like him are so rare and so valuable. Fantastic hands. Really keeps guards honest when he gets stuck on them.

Lovett - played out of his mind.

Ponds - off day but still better than most. Insanely good finisher.

Ellison - Great game overall. The dumb fouls have to stop. He can be very frustrating. I really want to see this kid make it four years here. He does a good job on the defensive glass but needs to do more on the other end.

Ahmed - Big game. He had some huge threes. I hope he doesn't fall in love with the deep shot. We need more from him on the glass.

Alibegovic - very solid reserve minutes.

RF - invisible today but expected now and then with freshmen

Yakwe - ehh, some timely blocks (one was definitely a goaltending) but not much else

Foad

« Reply #142 on: January 01, 2017, 06:53:22 PM »

« Reply #143 on: January 01, 2017, 07:07:49 PM »
Guys are looking more comfortable in roles. They know their jobs and are buying in. Happy to see Williams do well. I liked his length and skill last year but thought he looked out of shape beginning of the year. He's starting to get his groove back.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Wods317

« Reply #144 on: January 01, 2017, 07:11:34 PM »
Guys are looking more comfortable in roles. They know their jobs and are buying in. Happy to see Williams do well. I liked his length and skill last year but thought he looked out of shape beginning of the year. He's starting to get his groove back.

Wasnt there talk williams might get a year back and be eligible to play again next season?

Marillac

« Reply #145 on: January 01, 2017, 07:12:19 PM »

He looked terrible physically this year to me after looking like a beast last year. I guess surgery will do that to you. It seems he's getting back in shape now.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2017, 07:12:44 PM by Marillac »

« Reply #146 on: January 01, 2017, 07:36:20 PM »
Williams has been big cog in the improvement

« Reply #147 on: January 01, 2017, 08:19:38 PM »
Williams has been a revelation ever since the LIU game. Actually makes you wonder why he wasn't playing eRlier this season. I assume he must have still been hurt/recovering but he did get in garbage time in the exhibitions as I recall. He is light years better than Amar and even Yakwe right now, a real spark plug making a surprise difference for us.

Marillac

« Reply #148 on: January 01, 2017, 08:28:26 PM »
Williams has been a revelation ever since the LIU game. Actually makes you wonder why he wasn't playing eRlier this season. I assume he must have still been hurt/recovering but he did get in garbage time in the exhibitions as I recall. He is light years better than Amar and even Yakwe right now, a real spark plug making a surprise difference for us.

He looked REALLY bad early on...like he didn't belong anywhere near this level. I guess two years off and three surgeries will do that. There is a good chance he can continue to improve as he gets in better shape and adjusts to this level.

« Reply #149 on: January 01, 2017, 08:44:09 PM »
Yakwe just needs some confidence.  And it's OK if it all comes at the defensive end at this point.

« Reply #150 on: January 01, 2017, 08:51:16 PM »
My thoughts:

Eli Cain is nasty. Garrett Jr. is the most overrated player in the league year after year. 

Williams - has more offensive skill than the rest of our bigs combined. Still a defensive liability in space, but great complement to Owens. His offensive rebounds won this game and he was at the very least the player of the second half. We've needed an offensive rebounder like that for years. He looked like dog sh*t three weeks ago but now:  renew that ship!

Owens - ultimate glue guy...Mr. Hustle. Already better than Obekpa ever was just by working hard and not being a diva. Guys like him are so rare and so valuable. Fantastic hands. Really keeps guards honest when he gets stuck on them.

Lovett - played out of his mind.

Ponds - off day but still better than most. Insanely good finisher.

Ellison - Great game overall. The dumb fouls have to stop. He can be very frustrating. I really want to see this kid make it four years here. He does a good job on the defensive glass but needs to do more on the other end.

Ahmed - Big game. He had some huge threes. I hope he doesn't fall in love with the deep shot. We need more from him on the glass.

Alibegovic - very solid reserve minutes.

RF - invisible today but expected now and then with freshmen

Yakwe - ehh, some timely blocks (one was definitely a goaltending) but not much else

MY thoughts are thank god you are not our coach. Lovett guy is pretty good, probably best he doesn't come off the bench
« Last Edit: January 01, 2017, 08:51:34 PM by we are sju »

« Reply #151 on: January 01, 2017, 08:59:29 PM »
Ellison had 0 turnovers in 37 minutes today. Just saw that on the stats, he is improving finally.

Also I wouldn't worry about Yakwe. Mullin is actually giving out well proportioned big man minutes. He's averaging 2 minutes less per game this season than last year. He was good in the wins over Syracuse and Butler. Today just wasn't his day.

paultzman

« Reply #152 on: January 01, 2017, 09:17:56 PM »
Ellison had 0 turnovers in 37 minutes today. Just saw that on the stats, he is improving finally.

Also I wouldn't worry about Yakwe. Mullin is actually giving out well proportioned big man minutes. He's averaging 2 minutes less per game this season than last year. He was good in the wins over Syracuse and Butler. Today just wasn't his day.

Ellison also had 8 assists, impressive

« Reply #153 on: January 01, 2017, 09:32:29 PM »

I get the shakes when he has the ball in his hands

« Reply #154 on: January 01, 2017, 10:17:05 PM »

Marillac

« Reply #155 on: January 01, 2017, 10:22:35 PM »

At least half were dumpoffs or handoffs for treys. Still, he played a very good game.

« Reply #156 on: January 01, 2017, 10:43:15 PM »

At least half were dumpoffs or handoffs for treys. Still, he played a very good game.

I could care less how they come, still getting the ball to the open man.

« Reply #157 on: January 01, 2017, 11:36:47 PM »

Your point??

« Reply #158 on: January 01, 2017, 11:39:11 PM »

If I was statting I would have given him 1 turnover. He tried to receive a pass with 1 hand and simultaneously tap it to the corner. He mishandled and the ball went out of bounds. Not LoVett's TO there imo.

Regardless he is getting more comfortable out there. More min has helped him settle in. 

« Reply #159 on: January 01, 2017, 11:42:39 PM »

Actually, I thought Ellison may have played his best game to date.  Ellison is a decent player when plays within himself.  There are too many times, he doesn't play within himself and screws up.  He could end up being a solid, four year player for us, as he continues to improve and know his limitations.