Carnesecca Arena Advantage?

• 48 replies

desco80

Re: Carnesecca Arena Advantage?
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2016, 11:48:16 AM »
By the way, speaking of the crowd... we must have the dumbest fans in America.  We might be the only fan base that doesn't understand to put the white t shirt on during a "white out".

More than half our fans put their shirt in their bag or jacket.

Fair observeration, but I could only get half of my group of 10 to wear it at all, or keep it on for some of game.  Just too crowded and too hot for some of them.

I had the same issue.  Couldn't get my wife to put it on.

redslope

« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2016, 11:56:48 AM »
By the way, speaking of the crowd... we must have the dumbest fans in America.  We might be the only fan base that doesn't understand to put the white t shirt on during a "white out".

More than half our fans put their shirt in their bag or jacket.

Fair observeration, but I could only get half of my group of 10 to wear it at all, or keep it on for some of game.  Just too crowded and too hot for some of them.

I had the same issue.  Couldn't get my wife to put it on.
For some of us there was a "size" question.  I could have split it a la Hulk Hogan very easily

« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2016, 03:02:01 PM »
If creighton beats nova on saturday then a top 5 team is going to be coming to Carnesecca. I would hope it sold out.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2016, 03:11:06 PM »
Baby steps gents! As long as the place is packed and the crowd is engaged for the tea           (which Both seemed to be), what more can you ask for?

Wasn't this crowd always more of a wine and cheese crowd?
Cougar O' Malley

« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2016, 03:32:00 PM »
I find that when St. John's plays the larger Universities such as Georgetown and Syracuse, that there isn't much or a home court advantage at MSG due to a lot of their alumni find jobs and live in or near NYC. However, because it draws larger attendance, it's needed.

« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2016, 03:40:35 PM »
If you go on Ticketmaster there are a ton of seats available for Wednesday. Hopefully people will start making moves on those. Creighton is even better than Butler, need the fans.

desco80

« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2016, 03:50:11 PM »
If creighton beats nova on saturday then a top 5 team is going to be coming to Carnesecca. I would hope it sold out.

I really doubt that it will be.   I'm not saying its right or wrong, but that later start time will depress the turnout.

TONYD3

« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2016, 04:08:28 PM »
I have been to maybe 10 sold out games at alumni hall. We lost everyone. Troy bell BC, Rutgers twice, booby Gonzalez and seton hall, Marquette jimmy butler, butler 2 years ago.

« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2016, 06:54:38 PM »
I'm hoping our student section turns into the show at SDSU. Baby steps first

Marillac

« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2016, 07:04:06 PM »
FWIW, I saw a tweet from a Marquette fan commenting about the SJU win saying he wished MU had a small on-campus venue to play some games in.

I think CA can be a huge advantage under the right conditions:  packed house, ranked opponent, good performance, etc.

« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2016, 07:11:44 PM »
FWIW, I saw a tweet from a Marquette fan commenting about the SJU win saying he wished MU had a small on-campus venue to play some games in.

I think CA can be a huge advantage under the right conditions:  packed house, ranked opponent, good performance, etc.

Yea I was sitting next to some Butler fans who kept saying they preferred smaller venues and how Cameron Indoor was the best type of arena to have

Poison

« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2016, 07:18:38 PM »
We've had some great crowds at Carnesecca, but it hasn't been consistent. In the Jarvis and Lavin years there were plenty. Hofstra with Speedy, for example, and more recently, St.Mary's.

Last night had real energy, but I think we have to keep in mind that the asinine scheduling we've had at times contributes greatly to that opportunity. It's Dec 29th at 7:00pm. It's a time when most people will have the chance to go. Schedule a game on a Monday at 6:30, and you deserve an empty arena.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 07:22:29 PM by Poison »

« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2016, 09:13:47 PM »

The elevated split end zone student sections is the absolute worse. Should move where the pep band is and spread it across sideline as it grows.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2016, 09:23:17 PM »

The elevated split end zone student sections is the absolute worse. Should move where the pep band is and spread it across sideline as it grows.

Many years ago I had great seats in section 3 row BB. Athletic department decided to move the section en masse to make way for a student section. Never panned out.

« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2016, 09:25:36 PM »

Many years ago I had great seats in section 3 row BB. Athletic department decided to move the section en masse to make way for a student section. Never panned out.

School has been so disjointed. Athletic department from student life. Too many departments working parallel with different goals and agendas. I'm hoping Goff takes the bull by the horn and creates an atmosphere starting with hoops.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Poison

« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2016, 10:07:39 PM »

I completely agree, but then those soulless fcks should show some damn life. And some self respect. This is the school they go to. Students need to earn an honor like that. How many students even deserve to be at a game now?
« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 10:09:09 PM by Poison »

Poison

« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2016, 10:20:22 PM »

School has been so disjointed. Athletic department from student life. Too many departments working parallel with different goals and agendas. I'm hoping Goff takes the bull by the horn and creates an atmosphere starting with hoops.

One thing Goff can do is embrace our alumni ballers in a genuine way. All of them. There is a reason why a guy who loved St.John's and was proud to play here doesn't want anything to do w us. St.John's needs to learn that it's telling when you only call when you want something. Rowan Barrett felt it. Ron Rowan did, too. Why have we never seen a 4 year guy like Lavor Postell back on campus? Bootsy Thornton? So many forgotten ballers. Do more to bring them back. An invitation alone isn't enough. They still don't get it. No one wants to pay for a pre game event to hang out w some shmuck in fund raising. BUT if that shmuck once dropped 32 points against a ranked Louisville team, at least there would be something to talk about.

« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2016, 10:27:51 PM »
I clearly remember the days when our Big East conference games at MSG was only for Georgetown and Syracuse.  Now, I know that type of thinking would be a bit antiquated nowadays.  But, I'd love to see the Johnnies play 5 conference games at CA.  The other four conference home games would be allocated to Villanova, Georgetown, and two other teams who would be considered at the top of the conference.

I certainly can recall some raucous crowds at CA, whilst beating ranked opponents.  Two, in particular, during the '97-'98 season (vs. Miami and West Virginia, respectively).   Two more the following season ('98'-99) versus UMass and Pitt.  There was another game during Hatten's first season (2001-2002) at St. John's also against Miami. 

Those were all against ranked opponents, and I vividly recall the partisan at CA (Alumi Hall at the time) being quite loud, per watching it on TV.  So, it can definitely be an advantage when the team is playing well.  Even, more so, when playing well versus top-notch teams.   
« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 10:29:38 PM by mjdinkins »

« Reply #38 on: December 31, 2016, 12:39:41 AM »
Just curious. What, if any, league requirements are there with respect to playing league games at arenas with minimum seating capacity?

« Reply #39 on: December 31, 2016, 02:58:01 AM »
It's interesting to see Villanova play only three games last year at the Wells Fargo Center and now only four this year. Playing most of their games at their smaller arena.