Game 18: @Georgetown
« on: January 08, 2017, 09:00:48 PM »
Haven't won in DC since 2003

GTown is 0-4 in Big East play

Which streak is broken tomorrow night?!

goredmen

Re: Game 18: @Georgetown
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2017, 09:15:16 PM »
We are literally the only big conference game in all of college basketball tomorrow night since the CFB national championship game is on. Should be more people than usual watching. I don't expect to win, just want to be within striking distance at the end

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2017, 09:25:13 PM »
Going to be difficult Georgetown obviously is not that bad, there is 0-4 that is bad and then there is 0-4 that you know the team is close to being good.

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2017, 06:53:24 AM »
Anybody else gonna be there? I got a ticket in the GTown student section, I'll be wearing red.

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2017, 12:44:42 PM »
Going to be difficult Georgetown obviously is not that bad, there is 0-4 that is bad and then there is 0-4 that you know the team is close to being good.

Per my eyes, they're not close to being good.  Maybe, close to being an "okay" team, but not a good one.

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2017, 12:47:51 PM »
Georgetown is an awful team with an ever worse coach. Gotta win this game

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2017, 12:50:25 PM »

Per my eyes, they're not close to being good.  Maybe, close to being an "okay" team, but not a good one.

No I'm going to slightly disagree with you they beat Oregon on a neutral floor, just flat blew the Maryland game at home, took Butler to OT and was very competitive at home against Xavier.  They win the Maryland and Butler games and we are not even debating whether they are pretty good or not.  On the other hand they didn't win those games and like SJU have lost some stinkers.

But the talent is there and they are at home.  All I am saying is don't confuse them with an 0-3 DePaul team.  SJU started 0-5 in 2013-14 but no one thought SJU was an 0-5 type of team.

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2017, 12:55:19 PM »

Our guards and wings should harass Hayes when he starts his slow dribbling in an attempt to back down to the basket.  We should also come from weak side in an attempt to block his shot whenever he does get low positioning.  Play solid defense on Peak and Pryor.  The latter can be wild at times.

They should have trouble keeping LoVett and Ponds out of the lane.  I feel this is a game we should win, but not too enthused after our last two outings.

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2017, 12:58:55 PM »

Our guards and wings should harass Hayes when he starts his slow dribbling in an attempt to back down to the basket.  We should also come from weak side in an attempt to block his shot whenever he does get low positioning.  Play solid defense on Peak and Pryor.  The latter can be wild at times.

They should have trouble keeping LoVett and Ponds out of the lane.  I feel this is a game we should win, but not too enthused after our last two outings.

it's winnable but I don't know about "should."

Bottom line is if they want to avoid a 4 game losing streak they should probably think about winning tonight.  Because raise your hands if you think they win on Saturday against Nova at the Garden????

Win tonight and the game on Saturday becomes house money.

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2017, 01:06:43 PM »

it's winnable but I don't know about "should."

Bottom line is if they want to avoid a 4 game losing streak they should probably think about winning tonight.  Because raise your hands if you think they win on Saturday against Nova at the Garden????

Win tonight and the game on Saturday becomes house money.

Maybe, I used the word, "should," loosely here.  But, it is a very, winnable game.  If they could play even decent defense and stop with the boneheaded turnovers, then I'd be confident in garnering win tonight. 

I'm not even gonna fix my mind to believe we're gonna beat Villanova on Saturday.  A better chance of a blizzard happening in my neck of the woods than the Johnnies beating 'Nova this weekend.

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2017, 01:50:30 PM »
Peak, Pryor, Govan/Hayes, a couple of 5th year seniors and a junior are going to be a tough road match up for our kids.  A win=progress, a tough hard fought loss= status quo, a blow out= full blown panic mode.

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2017, 01:53:18 PM »
Anybody else gonna be there? I got a ticket in the GTown student section, I'll be wearing red.
Got tickets in section 113.  With the College Football championship game, Georgetowns poor start and the cold weather there probably won't be too much juice in the building.

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2017, 02:05:09 PM »

No I'm going to slightly disagree with you they beat Oregon on a neutral floor, just flat blew the Maryland game at home, took Butler to OT and was very competitive at home against Xavier.  They win the Maryland and Butler games and we are not even debating whether they are pretty good or not.  On the other hand they didn't win those games and like SJU have lost some stinkers.

But the talent is there and they are at home.  All I am saying is don't confuse them with an 0-3 DePaul team.  SJU started 0-5 in 2013-14 but no one thought SJU was an 0-5 type of team.

I'll give 'em the Oregon game, but Dillon Brooks barely played that game, as he was coming off an injury.  Maryland isn't overly impressive, IMO (the least impressive 14-2 team, IMO, but may be that's just me).  Georgetown also clearly showed they couldn't handle pressure when Maryland brought it late in the game for the comeback win.

Georgetown was also blasted by Wisconsin and Oklahoma State.  If I remember correctly, the Wisconsin center outrebounded Georgetown by himself.  Or, he may have had more offensive rebounds by himself than Georgetown had as a team, offensively.

They struggled against a low-major in Elon.  Let's not forget they were also handled by Arkansas State.  They looked very, lackluster during the last 5-7 minutes of the Providence game, last week.  They also never really challenged Marquette the last 10 minutes of regulation.  Marquette didn't take 'em behind the woodshed, but they always kept G'town at bay.

It's tough to win on the road in good conferences, so I would expect 'em to be competitive at home for the most part.  If you watched their game against Xavier, then you would've seen why the game was so close.  Outside of Sumner and Macara, IMO, Xavier didn't particularly play well. 

I've seen most of their games this season, and they're not good or close to being good.  They're close to being a decent team, IMO.  So, I wouldn't even compare the Hoyas to the 2013-2014 St. John's team.  I see this Georgetown team winning 6 conference games at best.

Their talent is probably on par with St. John's.  They have no point guard, and totally rely on Peak and Pryor.  Similar to us, they have trouble playing defense (although, they've played a bit better defense lately).  They also have trouble keeping quick guards out of the lane. 

We'll have to agree to disagree with our rival.  I've watched them play many times this season, and this is a very, winnable game, as I mentioned earlier.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 02:20:30 PM by mjdinkins »

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2017, 02:07:17 PM »
Peak, Pryor, Govan/Hayes, a couple of 5th year seniors and a junior are going to be a tough road match up for our kids.  A win=progress, a tough hard fought loss= status quo, a blow out= full blown panic mode.

Govan is an enigma.  A foul magnet to boot.  IMO, it should be a win or a hard fought/close loss.

« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2017, 03:20:04 PM »
Because raise your hands if you think they win on Saturday against Nova at the Garden????

Hands up.

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2017, 03:23:40 PM »
i'm starting to agree with you on the coach, which you have been harping on for years.  But they have some really good talent.

cjfish

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2017, 03:55:07 PM »
They will not be able to handle our backcourt but the rest of the team is so bad that they may win anyway

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2017, 03:59:04 PM »

Govan is an enigma.  A foul magnet to boot.  IMO, it should be a win or a hard fought/close loss.

Govan is horrendous, but he will probably look like Ewing against our soft bigs.

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2017, 06:37:30 PM »
At the very least Yakwe caught a pass and finished it!