Game 18: @Georgetown

• 171 replies
Re: Game 18: @Georgetown
« Reply #100 on: January 09, 2017, 08:30:22 PM »
Bad night all around. I got a call down here that or recruit from Miami, 7'1" Brown was just arrested for a crime at a Walgreen. in Florida. Maybe it can get better. It can't get worse. .

« Reply #101 on: January 09, 2017, 08:37:12 PM »
I want to stay loyal and have up to this point, but the events that have unfolded today have made think Mullin and the staff need to go. Cant deal with ineligble recruits and piss poor defense. Not surprised if Lovett transfers/leaves

« Reply #102 on: January 09, 2017, 08:38:41 PM »
It's hard to shoot 25%
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #103 on: January 09, 2017, 08:45:07 PM »

« Reply #104 on: January 09, 2017, 08:45:45 PM »
Yakwe was yuge, 3 rebounds tonight

« Reply #105 on: January 09, 2017, 08:47:02 PM »
Mullin needs to step up and take full accountibilty for his team not showing up.

Half game was Richmond with head in his hands.

Poison

« Reply #106 on: January 09, 2017, 08:48:07 PM »
They looked like a Norm Roberts team tonight.

« Reply #107 on: January 09, 2017, 08:55:37 PM »
Aside from the loses, the most frustrating part is when things start to come unraveled, its like every man for themselves.  Everyone just stands around and watches Ponds and Lovett try to dribble through the entire defense.  Then when the camera pans over to the coaching staff, they are just sitting there, looking as clueless as the players on the court. 

This AD is going to have a major decision to make over the  next few years, if this team does not make the tourney during Mullin's 4 year tenure.  I am glad I am not in his shoes should the hammer come down on the staff.

boo3

« Reply #108 on: January 09, 2017, 09:11:05 PM »
FIre Mullin...again!

« Reply #109 on: January 09, 2017, 09:50:37 PM »
Post Game Quotes

Not very revealing... or accountable

http://www.redstormsports.com/sports/m-baskbl/recaps/010917aab.html

St. John's Head Coach Chris Mullin...

On Georgetown holding St. John's to 27 percent shooting:

"I have to give their defense credit. I thought we had some decent looks and missed some dunks in the first half, but I felt pretty good being down seven [at half] the way we were playing. In the second half our energy and effort on both sides wasn't there. We had some decent outings where offensively we were good and the defense struggled, but tonight it was both; especially in the second half."

On playing without a scorer in the post:

"There is always different ways to approach that. We don't mind dropping the ball down to the post to collapse the defense. Tonight, Kassoum [Yakwe] was pretty active. The big thing too is to get some stops and get out on the open floor. That's where we've really struggled, generating fast break points. When you shoot 27 percent, you're not going to win any games."

On going against the zone:

"If you don't make shots you're going to have trouble against anything. We've actually been pretty good against the zone. It's the defense we do well against; we shoot the ball pretty well. It was a total collapse tonight."

On the rivalry:

"It has a rich history with a lot of respect. It's a great rivalry and hopefully we can both get back on track at the same time. That will be good."

Dan

« Reply #110 on: January 09, 2017, 10:53:28 PM »
So this is starting to look like replica of last year
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 10:53:46 PM by Dan »

Marillac

« Reply #111 on: January 09, 2017, 11:08:56 PM »
So this is starting to look like replica of last year

🙄

Marillac

« Reply #112 on: January 09, 2017, 11:10:43 PM »
I want to stay loyal and have up to this point, but the events that have unfolded today have made think Mullin and the staff need to go. Cant deal with ineligble recruits and piss poor defense. Not surprised if Lovett transfers/leaves

🙄

« Reply #113 on: January 09, 2017, 11:28:40 PM »

So the team has 1-2 scholarships for next year and they took a chance on a five star 7 footer. It didn't work out. I'm not mad at all and glad they are exploring every opportunity.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #114 on: January 09, 2017, 11:36:29 PM »
We tell our selves to not get too high or too low after losses but I feel like the team needs to realize this as well. Everything was going great, they got a spot on the 6 oclock news everyone was happy. They lose two games to two great teams and come out like absolute trash tonight.

Tonight was not on Mullin, the players gave up at halftime and that is 100% on the players.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 11:36:55 PM by HowCouldUBeSoHarkless »

« Reply #115 on: January 09, 2017, 11:53:35 PM »
We tell our selves to not get too high or too low after losses but I feel like the team needs to realize this as well. Everything was going great, they got a spot on the 6 oclock news everyone was happy. They lose two games to two great teams and come out like absolute trash tonight.

Tonight was not on Mullin, the players gave up at halftime and that is 100% on the players.

Agree on players, but dont the coaches have a responsibility to inspire the players to give the required effort ? Especially during half-time and when they can't score more than 2pt for massive time periods ?

We all love Mullin (most of us anyway) but certain things like clear like of effort/desire/energy cannot be given a pass each time they do it. 

« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 11:57:03 PM by RedStormNC »

Poison

« Reply #116 on: January 09, 2017, 11:54:59 PM »

If the players are quitting at this point in the season, it's on the coach. When Boeheim's players quit on him a month ago, he took the blame. Mullin doesn't have to be so bold, but that doesn't mean that he's not responsible. It's his program.

« Reply #117 on: January 10, 2017, 12:38:31 AM »

If the players are quitting at this point in the season, it's on the coach. When Boeheim's players quit on him a month ago, he took the blame. Mullin doesn't have to be so bold, but that doesn't mean that he's not responsible. It's his program.

Agree on players, but dont the coaches have a responsibility to inspire the players to give the required effort ? Especially during half-time and when they can't score more than 2pt for massive time periods ?

We all love Mullin (most of us anyway) but certain things like clear like of effort/desire/energy cannot be given a pass each time they do it. 

Do you guys think that Mullin at halftime told them to out out there and foul and travel and miss all their shots though? How uninspiring could he be at halftime to get that outcome?

If there was a track record like Syracuse this season of them just straight up dogging it I would agree that something would need to be done. But this is the first game where they all just played like hot garbage. Ponds/Lovett were nothing. Turnovers and bricks all night. Ahmed stayed cold. Was our best player Yakwe? And he peaked in the first 10 minutes of the game.

Tonight was just straight up these players sucks and were unmotivated. If it happens again on Saturday (which it very well might the defending champs are coming to town) I might change my tune.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 12:44:21 AM by HowCouldUBeSoHarkless »

Poison

« Reply #118 on: January 10, 2017, 01:25:32 AM »

Do you guys think that Mullin at halftime told them to out out there and foul and travel and miss all their shots though? How uninspiring could he be at halftime to get that outcome?

If there was a track record like Syracuse this season of them just straight up dogging it I would agree that something would need to be done. But this is the first game where they all just played like hot garbage. Ponds/Lovett were nothing. Turnovers and bricks all night. Ahmed stayed cold. Was our best player Yakwe? And he peaked in the first 10 minutes of the game.

Tonight was just straight up these players sucks and were unmotivated. If it happens again on Saturday (which it very well might the defending champs are coming to town) I might change my tune.

I don't think Mullin told them to slack off, but it's his job to communicate with the team and get through to them. It doesn't mean that he didn't, but if you listen to him speak, it's hard to believe that he's a good communicator, and that's a mandatory part of the job.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 01:27:51 AM by Poison »

« Reply #119 on: January 10, 2017, 02:09:27 AM »

Maybe, if we had an identity on offense (well, actually, we do have one, but it's sandlot or street ball), then you wouldn't have all these "settled shots."  The coaches looked about as lost as the players tonight when the camera panned to the bench. 

The players aren't exempt from tonight's crapfest, but the suits on the bench played their role, as well.  Frankly, tonight has put me in a place where I was pre-Syracuse.  I'll watch when I have nothing else to do or bored.  If I have something else to do or I want to do, then I'm going to do so.  I'm not planning my time around these games the rest of the way. 

I have a feeling there will be several more ass beatings the rest of the conference season.