Seton Hall Thread

• 165 replies

goredmen

Re: Seton Hall Thread
« Reply #140 on: February 11, 2017, 07:37:30 PM »
@RedStormTalk go 3-2 rest of way and win a game in BET, and I think they get in.
-Braziller

Or does the team still have a better shot at making the tournament?

Zach has no idea what he's talking about. We still have a better chance of making the tournament.

First of all, 3-2 is going to be incredibly hard to do. We'll be small favorites at home against Providence and probably around pickem against Gtown. Then in the other 3 games we'll be double digit underdogs. You think we are going to win a game @Butler, @Marquette or @Creighton? I don't.

For the sake of argument I'll say we'll go 3-2 in the last 5 reg season games and 1-1 in the BET that will put our record at 16-17. In what planet are we getting in at under .500 with losses to Delaware St and LIU?

The bubble is more crowded this year than any year I can remember. All of those teams will get in to the NIT plus you have to figure there will be a good amount of automatic bids from teams in smaller conferences that win their regular season title but fall in their conference tourney.

The records of last year's NIT last few at large bids heading into the NIT:

Creighton 18-14
Alabama 18-14
Florida St 19-13
Davidson 20-12
Georgia Tech 19-14
Houston 22-9
George Washington 23-10

Anybody thinks that we have a chance to make it at 16-17 needs to join us back here on Earth

« Reply #141 on: February 11, 2017, 07:51:59 PM »
@RedStormTalk go 3-2 rest of way and win a game in BET, and I think they get in.
-Braziller

Zach has no idea what he's talking about. We still have a better chance of making the tournament.

First of all, 3-2 is going to be incredibly hard to do. We'll be small favorites at home against Providence and probably around pickem against Gtown. Then in the other 3 games we'll be double digit underdogs. You think we are going to win a game @Butler, @Marquette or @Creighton? I don't.

For the sake of argument I'll say we'll go 3-2 in the last 5 reg season games and 1-1 in the BET that will put our record at 16-17. In what planet are we getting in at under .500 with losses to Delaware St and LIU?

The bubble is more crowded this year than any year I can remember. All of those teams will get in to the NIT plus you have to figure there will be a good amount of automatic bids from teams in smaller conferences that win their regular season title but fall in their conference tourney.

Creighton 18-14
Alabama 18-14
Florida St 19-13
Davidson 20-12
Georgia Tech 19-14
Houston 22-9
George Washington 23-10

Anybody thinks that we have a chance to make it at 16-17 needs to join us back here on Earth

Maybe he's talking about Hall
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Foad

« Reply #142 on: February 11, 2017, 08:17:54 PM »

« Reply #143 on: February 11, 2017, 08:49:14 PM »
Seton Hall recap: http://www.bigeastboards.com/
Gina Lollobrigida to complete the trifecta
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 08:49:46 PM by Celtics11 »

« Reply #144 on: February 11, 2017, 09:09:03 PM »
-Braziller

Creighton 18-14
Alabama 18-14
Florida St 19-13
Davidson 20-12
Georgia Tech 19-14
Houston 22-9
George Washington 23-10

Assumed he was talking about NIT

goredmen

« Reply #145 on: February 11, 2017, 09:13:32 PM »
-Braziller

Creighton 18-14
Alabama 18-14
Florida St 19-13
Davidson 20-12
Georgia Tech 19-14
Houston 22-9
George Washington 23-10

As was I

« Reply #146 on: February 11, 2017, 10:01:35 PM »

I think we all questioned the staff a bit when we're 5-7 before the cuse game but since then this has been a different team. 

Uh, no we all didn't.

Marillac

« Reply #147 on: February 11, 2017, 10:01:40 PM »
-Braziller

Creighton 18-14
Alabama 18-14
Florida St 19-13
Davidson 20-12
Georgia Tech 19-14
Houston 22-9
George Washington 23-10

As was I

I agree with you on this, we're not making it. The RPI is not in our favor. Get Williams back healthy and we have a chance to scare people in the BET on our home court. An automatic bid to the big dance is the only way we play in either tournament. It's a long shot, but if they can get
magical six seed (which they currently occupy), they will be on the opposite side
of the bracket as Nova, get a bye round one, and two games against Creighton, Xavier, or Butler before the final.  After the injuries, we can beat those three at MSG.

Poison

« Reply #148 on: February 11, 2017, 10:08:40 PM »

I think we all questioned the staff a bit when we're 5-7 before the cuse game but since then this has been a different team. 

Uh, no we all didn't.

We're the best 12-14 team in the country.

Johnny23

« Reply #149 on: February 11, 2017, 10:20:42 PM »
If we win 2 more games and lose in the BET then 14-17 is not a bad record in Mullin's 2nd season. A 6 game improvement over last year is solid. Needed to win a few more of those OOC games which really hurt us and they were such winnable games.

Assuming that happens, if SJU's record improves by 6 wins again next year then they'll be in the big dance.

Marillac

« Reply #150 on: February 11, 2017, 10:31:08 PM »

Uh, no we all didn't.

It really says lot about you as a fan that you can't be happy on a day like today. We are in sole possession of 6th place in a conference that everyone predicted would get at least six bids and we are doing it as the second youngest team in the country that starts four first-year players and with two of the top five players on the roster redshirting. The coaching staff has shown real growth and a level of competence that should make us all feel good about the future.

Wods317

« Reply #151 on: February 11, 2017, 10:43:27 PM »

Uh, no we all didn't.

My post was postive. Thanks for clearing that up. I'll make a note that you didn't ever question the staff.

Poison

« Reply #152 on: February 11, 2017, 11:02:57 PM »

Uh, no we all didn't.

It really says lot about you as a fan that you can't be happy on a day like today. We are in sole possession of 6th place in a conference that everyone predicted would get at least six bids and we are doing it as the second youngest team in the country that starts four first-year players and with two of the top five players on the roster redshirting. The coaching staff has shown real growth and a level of competence that should make us all feel good about the future.

I think you have a reading comprehension problem. My post was positive. We are better than our record.

TONYD3

« Reply #154 on: February 12, 2017, 09:37:55 AM »
We played defense. Adjustments were made. We competed for rebounds. I watched the game late last night, but went to bed happy. Also much easier to win games when you keep the tempo at reasonable pace.

« Reply #155 on: February 12, 2017, 09:56:30 AM »
I'll make a note that you didn't ever question the staff.

Thank you.  I'm very proud of that position.  Thought the way our Judas fans had turned on their favored son was disgraceful.

Wods317

« Reply #156 on: February 12, 2017, 11:07:08 AM »

Thank you.  I'm very proud of that position.  Thought the way our Judas fans had turned on their favored son was disgraceful.

Personally never lost faith in the staff have said since day 1 Mullin deserves and long leash. Some of the early loses made me question or game planning but not our long term outlook.

« Reply #157 on: February 12, 2017, 01:41:55 PM »

Personally never lost faith in the staff have said since day 1 Mullin deserves and long leash. Some of the early loses made me question or game planning but not our long term outlook.

This is fair. Remember that Mullin and bulk of staff are sophomore coaches too.

I've had some good convo with some outside folks who've been in the game a long time and said that Mullin + St. Jean run really good practices. Teaching great stuff and both know what they are doing.

I think the only thing missing is experience.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

desco80

« Reply #158 on: February 12, 2017, 02:12:46 PM »

Uh, no we all didn't.

+1
Exactly.  Not all of us were running around screaming for Mullin to be fired, and blaming everything including the heat in alumni hall on poor Mitch Richmond, who is clearly a dope and doesn't do anything but collect a pay check.

Johnny23

« Reply #159 on: February 12, 2017, 02:29:34 PM »

This is fair. Remember that Mullin and bulk of staff are sophomore coaches too.

I've had some good convo with some outside folks who've been in the game a long time and said that Mullin + St. Jean run really good practices. Teaching great stuff and both know what they are doing.

I think the only thing missing is experience.

That's what I'm thinking too. With a more experienced unit and the upgrades next year, expectations will be higher for the team and for Mullin.