LoVett Injury

• 123 replies
Re: LoVett Injury
« Reply #100 on: December 27, 2017, 03:07:12 PM »
Won't make tournament with him if doesn't play defense and remains uncoachable. Agree he is major talent, but with lots and lots of issues. And he's the only one on the team not with the program.  All the other guys are getting it almost all of the time. 

At times, Simon, Ponds, Owens, Clarke, and Ahmed all change the dynamic of games too.

Wtf I actually agree with you. Simon is a more important piece than Lovett

You are not a fan but our fans are funny. Team has 6 good players Lovett is one of them. They need all of them. Especially their best shooter.

« Reply #101 on: December 27, 2017, 03:15:58 PM »
Won't make tournament with him if doesn't play defense and remains uncoachable. Agree he is major talent, but with lots and lots of issues. And he's the only one on the team not with the program.  All the other guys are getting it almost all of the time. 

At times, Simon, Ponds, Owens, Clarke, and Ahmed all change the dynamic of games too.

Are you sure you felt that way after the Thanksgiving event where the announcers were touting Love It's defense as a prime factor of our success?

IF Simon had missed the last 5 games instead of Marcus and we were 4 and 1 in those games you might be singing a different tune.

« Reply #102 on: December 27, 2017, 03:20:07 PM »

Are you sure you felt that way after the Thanksgiving event where the announcers were touting Love It's defense as a prime factor of our success?

IF Simon had missed the last 5 games instead of Marcus and we were 4 and 1 in those games you might be singing a different tune.

To have shot at tourney team needs Ponds, Lovett, Simon, Owens, Clark and Ahmed to play. Doesn't matter their ranking as far as importance to team. This team needs it 6 players to play and play reasonably well for us to be successful.

« Reply #103 on: December 27, 2017, 03:30:23 PM »
Big East is a meat grinder; 2 or 3 games per week starting tomorrow. We need EVERYBODY, including and especially LoVett, whose on ball defense has been very strong. Sometimes I don't know what team some of the posters on this board are watching.

We can't survive the Big East grind with Ponds and Simon playing 40 minutes per game. We'll be like the 5 man Lavin  teams that could hang with Nova for a half and were run off the court in the second half when the lack of usable subs caught up to us.

« Reply #104 on: December 27, 2017, 03:42:04 PM »

Team was awful last year with Lovett leading the way. Nowhere near the bubble. IF Trimble wasnt so bad and Mussini was still here. Lovett injury wouldn't be a problem

« Reply #105 on: December 27, 2017, 03:47:40 PM »

Team was awful last year with Lovett leading the way. Nowhere near the bubble. IF Trimble wasnt so bad and Mussini was still here. Lovett injury wouldn't be a problem

Last year they had Ponds, Lovett, Ahmed and Owens. Better this year because you added Simon and Clark. Pretty simple

« Reply #106 on: December 27, 2017, 03:49:26 PM »
Doesn't matter their ranking as far as importance to team. 

Yes, you're right.  But it's fun to discuss.

The entire last season Marcus, based on eye test and the numbers, was every bit as good as Sham yet received less accolades.  In my mind we had a 1a and 1b.

Prior to the injury, I myself had Ponds ahead of him as team Mvp leader of the early season. 

But now while off the court he's moved to third place with some even saying he's not an important piece, bad mouthing his game and attitude and suggesting we're better off without him?

That's clearly not taking into account how if healthy he would have dropped 25 on Sacred Heart.  Not to mention how much he would score if he ever had to play a game without Ponds.

« Reply #107 on: December 27, 2017, 03:53:23 PM »
PG Lovett. How many assists does he average

« Reply #108 on: December 27, 2017, 03:54:20 PM »
Doesn't matter their ranking as far as importance to team. 
[/quote]

Yes, you're right.  But it's fun to discuss.

The entire last season Marcus, based on eye test and the numbers, was every bit as good as Sham yet received less accolades.  In my mind we had a 1a and 1b.

Prior to the injury, I myself had Ponds ahead of him as team Mvp leader of the early season. 

But now while off the court he's moved to third place with some even saying he's not an important piece, bad mouthing his game and attitude and suggesting we're better off without him?

That's clearly not taking into account how if healthy he would have dropped 25 on Sacred Heart.  Not to mention how much he would score if he ever had to play a game without Ponds.
[/quote]

People need to complain about something.  When Lovett comes back and plays well they can go back to bitching about Amar not being good.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 03:55:50 PM by we are sju »

« Reply #109 on: December 27, 2017, 03:56:06 PM »
Its absolutely bizarre that peeps here have turned on Marcus because the team found ways to win while he was injured.

« Reply #110 on: December 27, 2017, 03:57:28 PM »

Coach Norm Roberts averaged 13 wins a year. You liked him well enough

« Reply #111 on: December 27, 2017, 04:08:11 PM »

Last season he led the team in assists.  He had 11 more than Ponds even though he played 161 less minutes.

This season is still early as we haven't begun the conference portion yet and he has missed the last 5 games.  No conclusions can be drawn about assists yet.

hnk

« Reply #112 on: December 27, 2017, 04:37:24 PM »
Against Missouri, he played 40 minutes.....shot 4 for 14....no assists,,,,one rebound.....no steals....and two  turnovers....and played terrible defense....gambling without results.......and without rotating over after his man blew by him.

I do think we need him.  I also think he would be a much improved player on a much improved team if he took fewer shots, had more assists, and played better team defense.   I also think we might be 11-1 or 12-0.

« Reply #113 on: December 27, 2017, 04:38:58 PM »
Must be winter break. Will be good to get some basketball played tomorrow.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #114 on: December 27, 2017, 07:50:48 PM »
Against Missouri, he played 40 minutes.....shot 4 for 14....no assists,,,,one rebound.....no steals....and two  turnovers....and played terrible defense....gambling without results.......and without rotating over after his man blew by him.

I do think we need him.  I also think he would be a much improved player on a much improved team if he took fewer shots, had more assists, and played better team defense.   I also think we might be 11-1 or 12-0.

Ok. Let's talk defense. 

Last season's Johnnies were the worst defensive team I've ever been associated with.  Collectively and individually they weren't stopping anyone.  The blocked shot was all they had and it wasn't nearly enough.

The 3 guards Ponds, Mussini and Lovett comprised an awful defensive backcourt. Ranking the 3 objectively (and it's no praise for anyone) it was:

1) Love it - at least he tried
2) Fellini - after coming to the team with the defensive aptitude of a lamppost and the foot speed of a sloth I thought he showed some improvement
3) Walden - complete indifference to defending

Prior to the injury Marcus was buying in quite nicely to the new defensive mindset brought here by the blue blood transfers. He's still the best defendive guard not named Simon. 

« Reply #115 on: December 27, 2017, 07:56:42 PM »

He couldn't have taken any fewer shots, had any more assists, nor played any better team defense than he did in the Asu loss. So there goes that theory.

« Reply #116 on: December 27, 2017, 07:56:50 PM »

Awwww, man!  Who you're tellin'?  Some of our fans need to stay off Twitter, too. 

Straight up effin' clowns!

« Reply #117 on: December 27, 2017, 10:11:58 PM »

Awwww, man!  Who you're tellin'?  Some of our fans need to stay off Twitter, too. 

Straight up effin' clowns!

It's Mr. White with the Candlestick in the Library....

DFF6

« Reply #118 on: December 28, 2017, 07:14:58 AM »

« Reply #119 on: December 28, 2017, 08:22:00 AM »

Ok. Let's talk defense. 

Last season's Johnnies were the worst defensive team I've ever been associated with.  Collectively and individually they weren't stopping anyone.  The blocked shot was all they had and it wasn't nearly enough.

The 3 guards Ponds, Mussini and Lovett comprised an awful defensive backcourt. Ranking the 3 objectively (and it's no praise for anyone) it was:

1) Love it - at least he tried
2) Fellini - after coming to the team with the defensive aptitude of a lamppost and the foot speed of a sloth I thought he showed some improvement
3) Walden - complete indifference to defending

Prior to the injury Marcus was buying in quite nicely to the new defensive mindset brought here by the blue blood transfers. He's still the best defendive guard not named Simon. 

Come on your a stats guy! Ponds has and will continue to lead the BE in steaks for however long he stays here. No to mention rebounding is essential to defense and he is outstanding in that department.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.