Owens Leaving

• 545 replies

paultzman

Re: Owens Leaving
« Reply #480 on: April 09, 2018, 11:53:22 AM »

Zach B
Was told a Tariq Owens decision should come in the next few days. Will meet with St. John's coaching staff today. Either #sjubb, Texas Tech or Maryland.

goredmen

« Reply #481 on: April 09, 2018, 11:55:50 AM »
Many comments on TO wanting to shoot threes; however he averaged ONE three per game.  Over 85% of his shots were inside the arc.  Overall he shot 50% so maybe he should get a few more looks-duh!

Most of his makes were uncontested dunks off of nice passes from Ponds/Simon.  He shot 74% on FG at the rim with 86% of those makes being assisted. His jump shooting numbers are bad, both from 2 + 3.

http://hoop-math.com/St.John's(NY)2018.php

Marillac

« Reply #482 on: April 09, 2018, 12:00:59 PM »
Many comments on TO wanting to shoot threes; however he averaged ONE three per game.  Over 85% of his shots were inside the arc.  Overall he shot 50% so maybe he should get a few more looks-duh!

I’m sure those 3s per number are much higher During BE play. I think 1 3 a game over a full season is fine. Problem I saw was too many “my turn” shots that weren’t best for him.

Exactly. He had no feel for the situation on nearly all of those threes. I don't want him shooting jumpers when we haven't scored on 3+ possessions. Nobody is there to board.

« Reply #483 on: April 09, 2018, 12:06:00 PM »

Zach B
Was told a Tariq Owens decision should come in the next few days. Will meet with St. John's coaching staff today. Either #sjubb, Texas Tech or Maryland.

Sure sounds like he wants back in...

goredmen

« Reply #484 on: April 09, 2018, 01:14:26 PM »
St. John’s graduate transfer Tariq Owen has committed to Texas Tech, he tells @247Sports

See ya

goredmen

« Reply #485 on: April 09, 2018, 01:22:15 PM »
Hope the reason he ultimately decided to leave is because staff has inside track on Femi or Porter and prefers them over Owens' dad drama

TONYD3

« Reply #486 on: April 09, 2018, 01:55:42 PM »
He just committed to Texas tech .

QuanMan

« Reply #487 on: April 09, 2018, 01:58:21 PM »
So the staff tells Zach the plan is to nab a immediate transfer big and sit out two. So everyone is assuming that Bryan stays, which is good that the bad news stops here. I guess the 4th open ship will be rewarded to a walk-on and reopened for 2019.

My immediate concerns are that Femi is 6'8, 233 pounds compared to Tariq's soaking wet 205 however. Our starting 5 will be very short. Additionally we went 6 deep last year and lost 5 kids this offseason, replacing them with 6 immediate bodies, 8 total. Let's hope the same situation doesn't repeat itself. Ideally within the next 5 weeks we land Femi, Carraher and Dachon Burke.
Section 3
Section 116

Johnny23

« Reply #488 on: April 09, 2018, 02:03:43 PM »
So the staff tells Zach the plan is to nab a immediate transfer big and sit out two. So everyone is assuming that Bryan stays, which is good that the bad news stops here. I guess the 4th open ship will be rewarded to a walk-on and reopened for 2019.

My immediate concerns are that Femi is 6'8, 233 pounds compared to Tariq's soaking wet 205 however. Our starting 5 will be very short. Additionally we went 6 deep last year and lost 5 kids this offseason, replacing them with 6 immediate bodies, 8 total. Let's hope the same situation doesn't repeat itself. Ideally within the next 5 weeks we land Femi, Carraher and Dachon Burke.

Femi is a must have or we will get owned on the glass again.

Wods317

« Reply #489 on: April 09, 2018, 02:06:11 PM »
Replace him with a talented grab big and I think we will be ready to rock. As many others have said didn’t really like the dads attitude and Tariq’s quotes about leaving make me very fine with seeing him go elsewhere.

« Reply #490 on: April 09, 2018, 02:13:09 PM »

Although, I think Ponds will return, but I won't be definitely counting him in at this juncture.  I do believe if he is told by a handful of NBA GM's they'll draft him EARLY ("early" being the first three or four picks) in the 2nd round, then he'll bolt.  Different times we're in today when it comes to players' bolting.

They once had to be a top 10 pick.  Then, it came down to 'em being a lottery pick.  Then, it went to a first round pick.  Now, I do believe it has migrated to being an early, second round pick.  In other cases, as we've seen, it doesn't matter at all where they're projected....  Some will just forego eligibility for several reasons.   Just something to keep an eye on.

goredmen

« Reply #491 on: April 09, 2018, 02:13:49 PM »

Think it's only 3 open ships if no more defectors

« Reply #492 on: April 09, 2018, 11:53:19 PM »

Although, I think Ponds will return, but I won't be definitely counting him in at this juncture.  I do believe if he is told by a handful of NBA GM's they'll draft him EARLY ("early" being the first three or four picks) in the 2nd round, then he'll bolt.  Different times we're in today when it comes to players' bolting.

They once had to be a top 10 pick.  Then, it came down to 'em being a lottery pick.  Then, it went to a first round pick.  Now, I do believe it has migrated to being an early, second round pick.  In other cases, as we've seen, it doesn't matter at all where they're projected....  Some will just forego eligibility for several reasons.   Just something to keep an eye on.

I thought only the first round gets guaranteed contracts so the difference between being the last pick of the 1st round and the first pick of the second round was ginormous?

Thought it was the difference between actually making an Nba roster and hundreds of thousands versus a one way ticket to the development league and tens of thousands.

pmg911

« Reply #493 on: April 10, 2018, 01:19:13 PM »

I thought only the first round gets guaranteed contracts so the difference between being the last pick of the 1st round and the first pick of the second round was ginormous?

Thought it was the difference between actually making an Nba roster and hundreds of thousands versus a one way ticket to the development league and tens of thousands.

A 2nd round pick can get a guaranteed deal - I am pretty sure Whitehead got one when he signed with Nets as 2nd round pick

« Reply #494 on: April 10, 2018, 03:02:04 PM »
I think you are right.  And I'm pretty sure he had a signed guaranteed contract with Andy Miller's agency for both him and Tiny while he was at the Hall.

Marillac

« Reply #495 on: April 12, 2018, 12:56:37 AM »
Owens is such a b*tch. He ran from Tennessee and then they became a three seed this past season without him. Now he's running from Keita and SJU to Texas Tech because they lost six of their top eight players including their two leading scorers. We almost certainly have a better shot of making the dance than them. The kid is scared of competing for minutes.

« Reply #496 on: April 12, 2018, 01:50:54 AM »
Correct

TONYD3

« Reply #497 on: April 12, 2018, 09:46:27 AM »
Owens is such a b*tch. He ran from Tennessee and then they became a three seed this past season without him. Now he's running from Keita and SJU to Texas Tech because they lost six of their top eight players including their two leading scorers. We almost certainly have a better shot of making the dance than them. The kid is scared of competing for minutes.
This is beyond absurd. Even if keita played 40 minutes a game their would be minutes here. Delusional is not a strong enough word.

« Reply #498 on: April 12, 2018, 04:42:46 PM »
Owens gave his statement on leaving via Twitter post that Marv and Josh liked

MCNPA

« Reply #499 on: April 12, 2018, 05:32:14 PM »
Owens gave his statement on leaving via Twitter post that Marv and Josh liked

Josh loves it.. more minutes for him!