Owens Leaving

• 545 replies
Re: Owens Leaving
« Reply #520 on: April 14, 2018, 01:13:41 AM »
Really dont get the love affair with Owens. Would it have been nice to keep him and have continuity in place? Sure, but I've never seen a SJU player more overrated by fans than him. He got abused by all the big men in conference. He had a good game at Seton Hall shooting the jumpshot that made his Dad think he was Kevin Durant.

We will be fine upfront with Keita and a grad big plus having some depth at each position will help. Last year we had an out of shape guard and two cavemen coming off the bench.

No one thought Owens was great. No one thought Yakwe belonged in the BE after watching him last year. Both would have been seniors, and had they stayed it’s perfectly reasonable to expect that they’d have their best seasons at St.John’s because seniors are more mature than juniors and sophomores.

Players who had struggled even more than Owens and Yakwe were still able to put it together eventually. A grad big needs to start from scratch. We lose continuity. Our history says it’s vital.

+1
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #521 on: April 14, 2018, 01:37:32 AM »
Really dont get the love affair with Owens. Would it have been nice to keep him and have continuity in place? Sure, but I've never seen a SJU player more overrated by fans than him. He got abused by all the big men in conference. He had a good game at Seton Hall shooting the jumpshot that made his Dad think he was Kevin Durant.

We will be fine upfront with Keita and a grad big plus having some depth at each position will help. Last year we had an out of shape guard and two cavemen coming off the bench.

No one thought Owens was great. No one thought Yakwe belonged in the BE after watching him last year. Both would have been seniors, and had they stayed it’s perfectly reasonable to expect that they’d have their best seasons at St.John’s because seniors are more mature than juniors and sophomores.

Players who had struggled even more than Owens and Yakwe were still able to put it together eventually. A grad big needs to start from scratch. We lose continuity. Our history says it’s vital.

But in the grand scheme of things what is Tariq Owens best? What is Yawke best? Is Tariq Owens best equivalent to having Marvin Clarke playing the four? Is it better than a Keita playing downlow?

MCNPA

« Reply #522 on: April 14, 2018, 04:46:59 AM »
Grad bigs aren’t really starting from scratch either.  They’re experienced players who have been improving for a few years and should provide upperclassmen experience, even if they’re new to a team...

Poison

« Reply #523 on: April 14, 2018, 08:10:15 AM »

But in the grand scheme of things what is Tariq Owens best? What is Yawke best? Is Tariq Owens best equivalent to having Marvin Clarke playing the four? Is it better than a Keita playing downlow?

David Cain.

TONYD3

« Reply #524 on: April 14, 2018, 09:38:40 AM »
Keita played 2 minutes in the final 4. Collected 0 points and 0 rebounds.

How many minutes did Owens play in the Final Four? How many rebounds did he collect? Breathlessly awaiting your answer.
How is that the issue foady?

If minutes played in the final four is not the issue why did you bring up minutes played in the final four? Careful, this might be a trick question.

Think You already had to much cheap vodka.

If Belvedere was cheap my liver'd have exploded by now and I'd be spared these tedious exchanges.

Owens isn’t that great, but he is certainly better then nothing.

A three legged dog is better than nothing, therefore we should recruit several. Mullin's not a good coach but he's better than nothing, so we should be happy to have him. You've made some really good points,  you must be getting a lot of roughage.
If you are capable of making it out to a restaurant or bar continue drinking belvadere. For home consumption, I suggest a cheaper vodka. Svedka is close to same quality for like a third of the price. If you use any fruit or mixer. You won't be able to taste the difference. 

Foad

« Reply #525 on: April 14, 2018, 09:55:23 AM »
If you use any fruit or mixer. You won't be able to taste the difference. 

I drink out of the bottle.

TONYD3

« Reply #526 on: April 14, 2018, 10:15:36 AM »
Keita played 2 minutes in the final 4. Collected 0 points and 0 rebounds. Never saw him play. Happy to have him. Think he could be certainly help us. NO ONE IS SCARED OF HIM STEALING MINUTES.
Owens would have played plenty next year. In my opinion he would have played as many minutes as possible.  Close to 30. Keita would have also played plenty. Plenty of minutes to go around.

There are not "plenty of minutes to go around" for a kid that can only play center. Keita can only play center and is very likely better than Owens. Clark is exponentially better than Owens at the four and plays over 30 mpg.
Owens doesn't want to compete for minutes. He ran to a team that won one conference game and now he's running to a team that six of its eight best players and starting center.
Again just because you post it doesn't  make it true. Keita could be Delle coker. (before any mullin lovers cry I said could). For arguments sake, you are 100 percent right. Keita is a beast. Keita plays 25 minutes a game. clarke who is (not) exponentially better then owens plays 30 minutes. That still leaves 25 minutes for ownes. Now who gets these minutes? 
« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 10:19:58 AM by TONYD3 »

Marillac

« Reply #527 on: April 14, 2018, 06:58:47 PM »
Keita played 2 minutes in the final 4. Collected 0 points and 0 rebounds. Never saw him play. Happy to have him. Think he could be certainly help us. NO ONE IS SCARED OF HIM STEALING MINUTES.
Owens would have played plenty next year. In my opinion he would have played as many minutes as possible.  Close to 30. Keita would have also played plenty. Plenty of minutes to go around.

There are not "plenty of minutes to go around" for a kid that can only play center. Keita can only play center and is very likely better than Owens. Clark is exponentially better than Owens at the four and plays over 30 mpg.
Owens doesn't want to compete for minutes. He ran to a team that won one conference game and now he's running to a team that six of its eight best players and starting center.
Again just because you post it doesn't  make it true. Keita could be Delle coker. (before any mullin lovers cry I said could). For arguments sake, you are 100 percent right. Keita is a beast. Keita plays 25 minutes a game. clarke who is (not) exponentially better then owens plays 30 minutes. That still leaves 25 minutes for ownes. Now who gets these minutes? 

He doesn't have to be a beast, he just has play the five better than Owens. Owens was a 6th or 7th man and energy guy who was forced into a big role. Keita can be much better for us by just staying near the basket, setting physical screens Owens was incapable of executing, bodying big men better than Owens, and hitting the glass. It would be great to have Owens coming in behind him with his hustle and shotblocking, but his head got bigger than his ability.

We didn't need a 200 lb center shooting 10 jumpers a game. We need a physical presence.

« Reply #528 on: April 14, 2018, 07:47:56 PM »
I'd rather have Owens than Keita.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #529 on: April 14, 2018, 08:09:11 PM »

Thanks for you honesty Dave.
Hate when people build up a recruit they've never seen.
Fire Mullin.

« Reply #530 on: April 14, 2018, 09:42:47 PM »

Based on what I heard from a non partisan objective person I am going to respectfully disagree.  I heard Keita will be a more dominant force and should be able to more than replace TO.
Ultimately it would be great to have both but if I had to choose based on what I heard I would take Keita.

Marillac

« Reply #531 on: April 14, 2018, 10:39:50 PM »

First of all who hasn't seen Keita? Did you not watch the NCAA tournament last year? Second, who is building him up? He was a top 100 recruit, he's 240 and he played 10 mpg on a Final Four team led by a coach that stresses defense, rebounding, and toughness -- all of which we lacked last season. On paper he should be better than Owens was as a junior -- which is not a very high bar. If we can't get a big man to be better than Tariq Owens we might as well fold the program now. I didn't realize hoping for a 6'9 240 lb top 100 recruit to rebound, set screens, and play better defense than a stick figure was hyping a recruit. 🤔 Tariq Owens and David Hogg look like they are goddamn Tim Burton characters.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 10:44:12 PM by Marillac »

« Reply #532 on: April 14, 2018, 11:32:29 PM »

First of all who hasn't seen Keita? Did you not watch the NCAA tournament last year? Second, who is building him up? He was a top 100 recruit, he's 240 and he played 10 mpg on a Final Four team led by a coach that stresses defense, rebounding, and toughness -- all of which we lacked last season. On paper he should be better than Owens was as a junior -- which is not a very high bar. If we can't get a big man to be better than Tariq Owens we might as well fold the program now. I didn't realize hoping for a 6'9 240 lb top 100 recruit to rebound, set screens, and play better defense than a stick figure was hyping a recruit. 🤔 Tariq Owens and David Hogg look like they are goddamn Tim Burton characters.

Keita averaged only 6 minutes in the last season's NCAA Tournament.  I'm rather positive no one outside of South Carolina fans or folks like myself, who reside in or near the area, can truly remember anything what Keita did or didn't do in the NCAA Tournament a season ago.  With that being said, those same people may not specifically recall what Keita actually did during those games due to the little time he received.

Last season, I saw a kid who was a bit raw while playing for the Gamecocks.  Can he turn out to be a solid pickup for us?  Yes, that's certainly possible.  To add, he was a top 100 recruit, so there could be untapped potential.  I'm in "wait-and-see" mode and will just go from there.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 11:47:14 PM by mjdinkins »

Wods317

« Reply #533 on: April 14, 2018, 11:56:20 PM »
Owens over Keita isn’t a shock. Keita is a sophomore who was lightly used as a freshmen while Owens is a senior who has been through the wars in the BE. I like what I’ve heard about Keita, we will see.

« Reply #534 on: April 15, 2018, 12:10:13 AM »
Owens is gone, was fun while he was here. Just got a commit from kid that wants to be here, I vote to end Owens leaving thread!

Poison

« Reply #535 on: April 15, 2018, 10:23:27 AM »
Owens is gone, was fun while he was here. Just got a commit from kid that wants to be here, I vote to end Owens leaving thread!

Caraher just asked for his release.

« Reply #536 on: April 15, 2018, 10:50:07 AM »

Caraher just asked for his release.

UConn?

« Reply #537 on: April 15, 2018, 11:11:03 AM »
Altoona A&M

Johnny23

« Reply #538 on: April 15, 2018, 11:29:04 AM »
Owens and Keita are two totally different type of players. Regardless of which one you like more, we need another Big for next year in a major way.

redslope

« Reply #539 on: April 15, 2018, 12:08:09 PM »

First sensible post on this thread in a while--TO is GONE.  This is a waste of server space.  Start a new one--"big man wanted--apply here"