HERON OFFICIALLY CLEARED!

• 92 replies

TONYD3

Re: HERON OFFICIALLY CLEARED!
« Reply #80 on: October 15, 2018, 12:45:23 PM »
Just a reminder, this team has won 8 big east games not playing DePaul in the last 3 years.

Thanks for this utterly useless statistic
Not useless. U and many are automatically giving this team 10 wins

When deciding whether to bet on the lakers over under this year, remember they were absolutely awful last year.
I know it was not your intention. But you proved my point. Lakers are one of the favorites to win the title this year. Last time I saw it it was like 12-1. I think they are like the 5th choice. As is their over under wins. Just checked it was 48.5. Both of those bets are overly inflated. Lebron is great. The lakers are not.

« Reply #81 on: October 15, 2018, 12:52:51 PM »
Just a reminder, this team has won 8 big east games not playing DePaul in the last 3 years.

When deciding whether to bet on the lakers over under this year, remember they were absolutely awful last year.
I know it was not your intention. But you proved my point. Lakers are one of the favorites to win the title this year. Last time I saw it it was like 12-1. I think they are like the 5th choice. As is their over under wins. Just checked it was 48.5. Both of those bets are overly inflated. Lebron is great. The lakers are not.

Alright, I'll bite.

Tony - what is your prediction for SJU's record at the end of the regular season?
« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 12:53:20 PM by Gray Chudney »

TONYD3

« Reply #82 on: October 15, 2018, 01:05:03 PM »

Alright, I'll bite.

Tony - what is your prediction for SJU's record at the end of the regular season?
I think we have a Steve Lavin type season. The Harrison teams should have won more then they did. Definitely lavin’s fault.
Optimistic about this year. But don’t expect Chris Mullin to dominate big east coaches.
Ed Cooley, jay wright, Doug McDermott don’t win because they are lucky. The middle group of coaches are also good.

« Reply #83 on: October 15, 2018, 01:06:12 PM »

Alright, I'll bite.

I think we have a Steve Lavin type season. The Harrison teams should have won more then they did. Definitely lavin’s fault.
Optimistic about this year. But don’t expect Chris Mullin to dominate big east coaches.
Ed Cooley, jay wright, Doug McDermott don’t win because they are lucky. The middle group of coaches are also good.

So what is your prediction for their record?

Tha Kid

« Reply #84 on: October 15, 2018, 01:36:55 PM »

Do you factor in their offseason additions into deciding whether to bet on them or not?  Or should we all be betting tons of $ on the under as if Lebron and Rondo aren't there?
"I drink and I know things"

TONYD3

« Reply #85 on: October 15, 2018, 03:12:18 PM »

Do you factor in their offseason additions into deciding whether to bet on them or not?  Or should we all be betting tons of $ on the under as if Lebron and Rondo aren't there?
Everything is factored when betting. But betting lines and expectations change with the circumstances. With lebron the lakers are 12-1. Without him 200-1.

Sometimes people’s perception effect the betting lines. Lakers are a public team. Their odds will be lower.
My understanding is rondo (don’t really watch NBA) is not the player that he was. but his addition may lower the odds because he is a big name.
According to a pod cast I listen to lakers line is inflated. I haven’t spent any time myself looking at it.
If Luke Walton had little experience coaching and finished in last place 3 years in a row.  I believe that would have a big impact on the betting line even with the addition of lebron James and an older Rajon Rondo.

Marillac

« Reply #86 on: October 15, 2018, 03:34:05 PM »

What are the winning lottery #s for next week?

Duke plays two Q1 or Q2 OOC based on last year's finishes and one of those is Texas Tech at home who loses nearly everyone.

Syracuse only plays one road game (forced to in ACC/Big 10 challenge) and that is their only Q1 OOC game and only OOC game against a team that finished in the top 60 in the Pomeroy rankings (which the new NET is set to more closely resemble).

We play two road games and three neutral court games against major conference opponents. Those are all losable games. Then we play the defending national champs Nova 2-3 times in conference along with a bunch of other really well run programs that are all capable of beating any team in the country.

Duke plays:

Kentucky neutral (Q1)
San Diego State neutral (Q1/Q2 border)
Auburn/Xavier neutral (Q1)
Gonzaga/Arizona/Iowa State/Illinois (Almost definitely Q1)
Indiana home (Q1/Q2 border)
Texas Tech neutral (Q2)
St John's home (Q1/Q2 border)

That's 7 Q1 + Q2 games

Syracuse:
Yukon neutral (Q2)
Iowa/Oregon neutral (Q1)
Ohio State road (Q1)
Buffalo home (Q2)

That's a weak schedule, but still not worse than ours and they definitely have 2 Q1 games.

The point is this season is supposed to be special now that Heron is eligible. The only thing we should be worried about on selection Sunday is if we get a 4 or 5 seed, not if we make it or not. Unfortunately the weak OOC schedule gives us 0 margin for error.

Temple would be the 9th best team in the Big East. Rutgers is worse than DePaul. Georgia Tech is worse than DePaul. Cal is WAY worse than DePaul. If we lose to any of those teams it would be a complete embarrassment with our roster, and how could you expect to go 10-8 in the BE if you can't sweep these crappy teams?

You are basing this all off YOUR predictions. Syracuse plays one team that finished in the KenPom top 60 last year! You assume our opponents will all be worse than last year and Cuse and Duke's will all be  better and in many cases much better 🙄

You need to balance wins with quality opponents. What good does a 3-9 schedule against 12 top 15 teams? We'd miss the tournament even with an 11-8 Big East Record.

You're right. And if we go 10-2 in those first 12, we will miss the tournament if we go 10-8 in BE regular season and 1-1 in BET. 21 wins with this schedule doesn't get us in the tournament. That's my entire point. 0 margin for error in what should be a season we are hoping to be a 4 or 5 seed

You're out of your goddamn mind if you think we'd misss the tournament with 21 wins. We'd be an 8 or 9 seed. We play at least three games against top five preseason teams and two of those games are on the road. The Big East is unforgiving. You really just don't understand this topic at all. I'm done going back and forth with you. Time will prove you very wrong.

goredmen

« Reply #87 on: October 15, 2018, 04:28:43 PM »

Duke plays two Q1 or Q2 OOC based on last year's finishes and one of those is Texas Tech at home who loses nearly everyone.

Syracuse only plays one road game (forced to in ACC/Big 10 challenge) and that is their only Q1 OOC game and only OOC game against a team that finished in the top 60 in the Pomeroy rankings (which the new NET is set to more closely resemble).

We play two road games and three neutral court games against major conference opponents. Those are all losable games. Then we play the defending national champs Nova 2-3 times in conference along with a bunch of other really well run programs that are all capable of beating any team in the country.

Duke plays:

Kentucky neutral (Q1)
Texas Tech neutral (Q2)

That's 7 Q1 + Q2 games

Syracuse:
Yukon neutral (Q2)
Iowa/Oregon neutral (Q1)
Ohio State road (Q1)
Buffalo home (Q2)

That's a weak schedule, but still not worse than ours and they definitely have 2 Q1 games.

The point is this season is supposed to be special now that Heron is eligible. The only thing we should be worried about on selection Sunday is if we get a 4 or 5 seed, not if we make it or not. Unfortunately the weak OOC schedule gives us 0 margin for error.

Temple would be the 9th best team in the Big East. Rutgers is worse than DePaul. Georgia Tech is worse than DePaul. Cal is WAY worse than DePaul. If we lose to any of those teams it would be a complete embarrassment with our roster, and how could you expect to go 10-8 in the BE if you can't sweep these crappy teams?

You are basing this all off YOUR predictions. Syracuse plays one team that finished in the KenPom top 60 last year! You assume our opponents will all be worse than last year and Cuse and Duke's will all be  better and in many cases much better 🙄

You need to balance wins with quality opponents. What good does a 3-9 schedule against 12 top 15 teams? We'd miss the tournament even with an 11-8 Big East Record.

You're right. And if we go 10-2 in those first 12, we will miss the tournament if we go 10-8 in BE regular season and 1-1 in BET. 21 wins with this schedule doesn't get us in the tournament. That's my entire point. 0 margin for error in what should be a season we are hoping to be a 4 or 5 seed

You're out of your goddamn mind if you think we'd misss the tournament with 21 wins. We'd be an 8 or 9 seed. We play at least three games against top five preseason teams and two of those games are on the road. The Big East is unforgiving. You really just don't understand this topic at all. I'm done going back and forth with you. Time will prove you very wrong.

It's absolutely crazy to think a team with 21 wins gets a 9 seed with their best OOC win being Temple. Especially when the Big East will be slightly down compared to past years. We'd be a bubble team with 21 wins.

That said, there should be no way this team only wins 21 games before selection sunday this season. This team is too talented to lose to anybody but Duke in OOC and to only go 10-8 during the BE regular season.

24 wins before 3/17 should be the minimum goal this year. 12-1 OOC, 11-7 BE regular season, 1 BET win. That's about right for this talent level

Marillac

« Reply #88 on: October 15, 2018, 06:22:33 PM »

Duke plays:

Kentucky neutral (Q1)
Texas Tech neutral (Q2)

That's 7 Q1 + Q2 games

Syracuse:
Yukon neutral (Q2)
Iowa/Oregon neutral (Q1)
Ohio State road (Q1)
Buffalo home (Q2)

It's absolutely crazy to think a team with 21 wins gets a 9 seed with their best OOC win being Temple. Especially when the Big East will be slightly down compared to past years. We'd be a bubble team with 21 wins.

That said, there should be no way this team only wins 21 games before selection sunday this season. This team is too talented to lose to anybody but Duke in OOC and to only go 10-8 during the BE regular season.

24 wins before 3/17 should be the minimum goal this year. 12-1 OOC, 11-7 BE regular season, 1 BET win. That's about right for this talent level

You're the only person on the planet that would dismiss a road win over Rutgers and neutral court wins over Temple, Cal, AND Ga Tech as nothing. Even in down years those high major games away from Home can result in a loss for any tournament team. We proved that last year beating Duke (and then Nova a few days later) after stating something like 0-7 in conference.

We play at least 24 games against high major opponents and only NINE of those games are at home.

24+ wins would be quite an accomplishment. I see the potential for sure but I'm not as optimistic as you unless the staff as tweaked some fundamental philosophies (zone defense, gang rebounding, etc.). My best guess is this team is slightly better than the the DJ Kennedy senior year squad. They can only win a few in March if they attack the offensive glass relentlessly. If they do that, there is no team that can beat them soundly.

sju89tr

« Reply #89 on: October 15, 2018, 06:34:24 PM »

Duke plays:

Kentucky neutral (Q1)
Texas Tech neutral (Q2)

That's 7 Q1 + Q2 games

Syracuse:
Yukon neutral (Q2)
Iowa/Oregon neutral (Q1)
Ohio State road (Q1)
Buffalo home (Q2)

Trust me we will lose 1-2 games that we are not supposed to lose LOL

Marillac

« Reply #90 on: October 15, 2018, 06:46:57 PM »

Duke plays:

Kentucky neutral (Q1)
Texas Tech neutral (Q2)

That's 7 Q1 + Q2 games

Syracuse:
Yukon neutral (Q2)
Iowa/Oregon neutral (Q1)
Ohio State road (Q1)
Buffalo home (Q2)

Almost all good teams do! That's what makes his proclamation of 12-0 being "unimpressive" so ridiculous.

Even the 84-85 Final Four team lost @ Niagara. They also only played an OOC slate of a 21-12 UCLA, A-10 Rutgers, and NC State. Color Goredmen and unimpressed.

goredmen

« Reply #91 on: October 15, 2018, 08:34:40 PM »

Duke plays:

Kentucky neutral (Q1)
Texas Tech neutral (Q2)

That's 7 Q1 + Q2 games

Syracuse:
Yukon neutral (Q2)
Iowa/Oregon neutral (Q1)
Ohio State road (Q1)
Buffalo home (Q2)

You're the only person on the planet that would dismiss a road win over Rutgers and neutral court wins over Temple, Cal, AND Ga Tech as nothing. Even in down years those high major games away from Home can result in a loss for any tournament team. We proved that last year beating Duke (and then Nova a few days later) after stating something like 0-7 in conference.

We play at least 24 games against high major opponents and only NINE of those games are at home.

24+ wins would be quite an accomplishment. I see the potential for sure but I'm not as optimistic as you unless the staff as tweaked some fundamental philosophies (zone defense, gang rebounding, etc.). My best guess is this team is slightly better than the the DJ Kennedy senior year squad. They can only win a few in March if they attack the offensive glass relentlessly. If they do that, there is no team that can beat them soundly.

I'm not the only one. It doesn't matter that Rutgers, Cal and G Tech play in good conferences when they absolutely stink, which all 3 do. And we can't even hope that one will be decent because that will be a miracle. Would a win over Pitt last year have been considered a good win just because they play in the ACC even though there were a bottom 100 team? Teams like Buffalo, Belmont, Harvard, Montana and even Grand Canyon will be better wins that any of those 3 teams.

https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/1051108052047413249

https://twitter.com/NYPost_Brazille/status/1027745520339640320

https://twitter.com/hardwiredsports/status/1027636060254339072

https://twitter.com/CollegeHoopNews/status/1029102890869301249

https://nypost.com/2018/08/09/how-schedule-could-hurt-st-johns-ncaa-tourney-chances/?utm_source=twitter_sitebuttons&utm_medium=site%20buttons&utm_campaign=site%20buttons

goredmen

« Reply #92 on: October 15, 2018, 08:39:10 PM »

Duke plays:

Kentucky neutral (Q1)
Texas Tech neutral (Q2)

That's 7 Q1 + Q2 games

Syracuse:
Yukon neutral (Q2)
Iowa/Oregon neutral (Q1)
Ohio State road (Q1)
Buffalo home (Q2)

Maybe in the grind of conference play that will happen. Losing at home to a team like Creighton is not a game we should lose but definitely could get tripped up. That would even itself out with a win on the road against a team we shouldn't beat.

If we lose to Rutgers or G Tech, sheesh. That would be brutal