Game 6: Maryland Eastern Shore Game Discussion

• 84 replies
Re: Game 6: Maryland Eastern Shore Game Discussion
« Reply #80 on: November 29, 2018, 02:22:50 PM »
So if Ponds leads team in assists this year he will be the better passer? Assist totals don’t tell the whole story. Simon is going to pass more than Ponds because he’s not the scorer he is. And Simon is a very good passer but in terms of just passing ability ie different types of passes, difficult passes etc it’s ponds and in my mind it’s not very close.

No but because Ponds is a pure scorer I think Simon just has more of a passers instinct. Look the games Ponds gets most of his assists it is almost like that is all he concentrates on and is basically not shooting. Again not knocking Ponds as he can basically get any shot he wants whenever he wants at this level.
I would like to see Ponds develop into a more of a Rod Strickland type passer. Basically always be on attack mode but still be able to find guys. That will help him tremendously in the pros

Foad

« Reply #81 on: November 29, 2018, 02:24:39 PM »
Simon led team in assists last year

Simon is passing to Ponds, a good shooter. Ponds is passing to Simon, who can't shoot.

« Reply #82 on: November 29, 2018, 02:39:49 PM »
Simon is passing to Ponds, a good shooter. Ponds is passing to Simon, who can't shoot.

I see what you are doing there. Based off stat sheet from last year Ponds was a bad shooter and Simon was a good shooter so you are debunking both my and Mase argument. Nicely done.
See I am more of a moderate stat believer. I think it tells a story but not the whole story.
You totally lean to the right when it comes to the stat sheet.

« Reply #83 on: November 29, 2018, 03:00:10 PM »
I think it tells a story but not the whole story.

Except when it’s Simon being the best passer on the team ;)
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Foad

« Reply #84 on: November 29, 2018, 03:42:33 PM »
I see what you are doing there. Based off stat sheet from last year Ponds was a bad shooter and Simon was a good shooter so you are debunking both my and Mase argument. Nicely done.
See I am more of a moderate stat believer. I think it tells a story but not the whole story.
You totally lean to the right when it comes to the stat sheet.

Mostly I used stats to confirm what I see with my two eyes. I think Simon is a good shooter because when he shoots I see the ball go in the basket. His shooting % confirms what I see. You see an awkward shot and so discount his percentage.

Assists numbers of something of a different matter. It matters who you pass to and what they do with it: whether they shoot and make or miss or whether the first pass leads to a second pass that leads to a basket. I see that Ponds has superior court vision and I see that he is capable of throwing some ridiculous passes, eg the no look between two defenders that he threw on a break to LJF last game was Omar Cook ridiculous. And I see that Simon throws some egregiously bad passes, and sometimes more than one a game, which leads me to sometimes question Simon's BB IQ, because the rest of him is pretty well put together.