Game 13: Seton Hall

• 356 replies
Re: Game 13: Seton Hall
« Reply #240 on: December 30, 2018, 01:41:06 AM »
Wasn't an illegal substitution. Time came off the clock

I thought the refs told the broadcasters that no time went off the clock, if so, then that's an illegal sub. If time came off then sju should have gotten the ball.
So either way, refs cheated.

« Reply #241 on: December 30, 2018, 01:45:40 AM »
The refs realized their error and you could see the "oh fvck" look on their faces. They didn't know the rules well enough to fix it...that is the saddest part.

Inadvertent whistle questions are on the test every year.  I'm a sh*tty ref and know about it. It's a surprising and horrible gaffe for refs at this level.

You're out of bounds with the Keita stuff.  Cool it.

« Reply #242 on: December 30, 2018, 01:59:26 AM »
How could nobody ask Mullin about the call in the press conference?

« Reply #243 on: December 30, 2018, 02:15:39 AM »
I thought the refs told the broadcasters that no time went off the clock, if so, then that's an illegal sub. If time came off then sju should have gotten the ball.
So either way, refs cheated.

They told the announcers that no time went off the clock, so that they were knocking it down from 3.5 seconds to 3.1 seconds (even though the possession started at 3.9, but whatever).  That decision by the refs took time off the clock, which then made the substitution legal.

Basically, it was the 72 olympics all over again, with Seton Hall in the role of the Russians.

Foad

« Reply #244 on: December 30, 2018, 06:10:51 AM »

« Reply #245 on: December 30, 2018, 08:55:51 AM »
Keita gonna get on the court against Marquette?

« Reply #246 on: December 30, 2018, 09:35:31 AM »
Why was that ref even looking at the clock instead of watching the actual play two feet away from him?

« Reply #247 on: December 30, 2018, 09:49:02 AM »
Wow. You guys are rough on each other! Phew! Anyway, it was clear that Ponds was exhausted by the mid to late second half. Wasn't even trying to get to the basket. Key missed free throws down the stretch. That being said SJU will be a dangerous team down the line! I'm telling you. They maybe the best 3 point shooting team in the Big East. I was very surprised by their defense for first 3/4 of the game. It was excellent. You can tell Ponds was pacing himself all game especially the first half but fatigue caught up. I like Greg Williams. He will get better. Seton Hall coach said it last night that this was the best team they have faced 1-5 thus far.

Guys trust me this is a really good team that can win the Big East. Depth is the issue of course but they have a shot. Herron is a monster by the way. Will get to the NBA via G league at some point.

« Reply #248 on: December 30, 2018, 09:49:02 AM »
Why was that ref even looking at the clock instead of watching the actual play two feet away from him?

He wasn't. 

After they went to the monitor to review the play they realized that the play wasn't something that is subject to video review. They then came up with the timing correction excuse which is video reviewable in a failed attempt to save face.  They had to say something.

They didn't have the guts to go with the proper call which would have been an inadvertent whistle ruling.

I would imagine that some sort of statement from the league will be forthcoming.

« Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 09:53:18 AM by carmineabbatiello »

« Reply #249 on: December 30, 2018, 10:02:16 AM »
He wasn't. 

After they went to the monitor to review the play they realized that the play wasn't something that is subject to video review. They then came up with the timing correction excuse which is video reviewable in a failed attempt to save face.  They had to say something.

They didn't have the guts to go with the proper call which would have been an inadvertent whistle ruling.

I would imagine that some sort of statement from the league will be forthcoming.

I believe the statement from the league was that the whistle was blown because of a clock issue.

« Reply #250 on: December 30, 2018, 10:02:51 AM »
The ball is inbounded, then deflected in bounds to a player in bounds and the clock has nothing what-so- ever to do with it. After seeing the film  with #30, TJ, fully in bounds throughout the play which was shown, in detail, to the refs as well, it is essential for the league make an immediate statement. I have seen plays like these many dozens of times throughout over 60 years of watching college basketball but, since film and replay, nothing like this has past the smell test. It is either gross incompetence or dishonesty, or ignorance  by all three refs. There is no other explanation. What does the league say?  The result cannot change but my belief system has been destroyed. What does the league say???

« Reply #251 on: December 30, 2018, 10:14:25 AM »
Big East Official Statement:

https://mobile.twitter.com/NCAAhoopsdigest/status/1079232035745611777?s=20

They are just making things up

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #252 on: December 30, 2018, 10:24:44 AM »

That would make the substitution illegal. Why did the refs move where to throw the ball.

This is all beating a dead horse, but the lame excuses is making this situation is even more frustrating.

I am hoping that the league office is crafting a statement about the situation, and they are being cautious about wording and timing.

The loss still stings, especially with this is how the team ends the year. At least the league will be addmitting that this was a phenomenal flustercluck...Tuesday is so mu h more important than it should be now.
Cougar O' Malley

« Reply #253 on: December 30, 2018, 11:24:11 AM »

That's the statement at 1125 pm last night.  May be different today.

« Reply #254 on: December 30, 2018, 11:50:24 AM »
I saw a different replay of the fateful play and it changed my take on the refereeing error completely.

I believe the referee did blow his whistle to correct a timing issue and not because he was mistakenly ruling LJ out of bounds. He went up with his hand to stop the clock but never pointed direction as you would for an out of bounds violation.

The clock did start (a little fractions) late.  It should have started as soon as LJ touched the inbound pass but didn't start until his second touch (or close to it) by the sideline.  The ref administering the throw in chopped the play in late so I would say it was his fault and not the clock operators.

So here's the whole brutal error:
a) After a timing mistake, such a mistake shall be corrected:
   1) During the first dead ball and before the ball is touched inbounds or out of bounds by a player other than a thrower-in.

The timing error should have been corrected during a dead ball but the ref. stopped play  to correct it during a live ball. Plus, we're only talking tenths of a second so stopping it there is just awful.

Even though they didn't explain it this way to the announcers, they most likely did rule it an inadvertent whistle and went to the point of interupption restart to the side that had "team control", which was Seton Hall.

« Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 12:07:40 PM by carmineabbatiello »

Poison

« Reply #255 on: December 30, 2018, 12:35:51 PM »
How could nobody ask Mullin about the call in the press conference?

They should ask the coach. St.Jean.

« Reply #256 on: December 30, 2018, 12:40:35 PM »
Inadvertent whistle was blown when no one technically had team control when the ball was tipped. Im assume when you inbound,  there is no team control. At the minimum, possession arrow SJU ball.

« Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 12:43:03 PM by buckeyestorm »

Poison

« Reply #257 on: December 30, 2018, 12:40:56 PM »
Lol, stfu. You have no idea if he was ready to play or not.

But yeah I'm sure you were a big tough guy in your day.  ::)

If you played football at St.John’s you’d be a tough guy, too.

I remember those St.John’s football games back in the day. Oh wait, no I don’t.

« Reply #258 on: December 30, 2018, 01:20:21 PM »
I saw a different replay of the fateful play and it changed my take on the refereeing error completely.

I believe the referee did blow his whistle to correct a timing issue and not because he was mistakenly ruling LJ out of bounds. He went up with his hand to stop the clock but never pointed direction as you would for an out of bounds violation.

The clock did start (a little fractions) late.  It should have started as soon as LJ touched the inbound pass but didn't start until his second touch (or close to it) by the sideline.  The ref administering the throw in chopped the play in late so I would say it was his fault and not the clock operators.

So here's the whole brutal error:
a) After a timing mistake, such a mistake shall be corrected:
   1) During the first dead ball and before the ball is touched inbounds or out of bounds by a player other than a thrower-in.

The timing error should have been corrected during a dead ball but the ref. stopped play  to correct it during a live ball. Plus, we're only talking tenths of a second so stopping it there is just awful.

Even though they didn't explain it this way to the announcers, they most likely did rule it an inadvertent whistle and went to the point of interupption restart to the side that had "team control", which was Seton Hall.

The thing to me is if you see the Ref, Breeding, explain it to Mullin he seems to say LJ stepped out of bounds. Confusing on all fronts.

« Reply #259 on: December 30, 2018, 01:26:22 PM »
Inadvertent whistle was blown when no one technically had team control when the ball was tipped. Im assume when you inbound,  there is no team control. At the minimum, possession arrow SJU ball.

The team inbounding the ball has team control.  It wasn't that way when I started but it was changed a number of years ago. LJ simply tipping the ball does not alter that.