Game 14: Marquette

• 127 replies
Re: Game 14: Marquette
« Reply #60 on: January 01, 2019, 09:58:24 PM »
We play defense like this..we'll have a fun year.

LJ and Heron make this small lineup work.  Love watching them play...also make the most of their opportunities on offense.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #61 on: January 01, 2019, 10:10:02 PM »
Great all around game, great atmosphere. They took Howard and John out of the game completely. Nice to see SJU crowd rocking again, even John McEnroe. That guy on the dance team got some moves

QuanMan

« Reply #62 on: January 01, 2019, 10:12:36 PM »
Best game in Queens since Marquette last year, the place was rocking.

Marv and Justin are experiencing breakthroughs at the perfect time in the season.

Heron's D and the overall team D was tremendous. Keita's enthusiasm, muster and physicality are very much welcomed, we're that much deeper with him.

This is going to be a special season, Newark is now in the rear view, DC on Saturday should be fun.
Section 3
Section 116

« Reply #63 on: January 01, 2019, 10:22:11 PM »

« Reply #64 on: January 01, 2019, 10:50:16 PM »
Kieta in there saves us from Clark fouling out. With Clark playing the whole game this team can beat anybody.

SJUFAN

« Reply #65 on: January 01, 2019, 10:52:28 PM »
I would like to see Mullin utilize the TV timeouts to get Ponds more rest. Take him out right before or sit him down for a minute after.

tnice

« Reply #66 on: January 01, 2019, 10:57:55 PM »
I would like to see Mullin utilize the TV timeouts to get Ponds more rest. Take him out right before or sit him down for a minute after.
He did that three separate times tonight.

Marillac

« Reply #67 on: January 01, 2019, 10:58:55 PM »

He's been doing that all year.

« Reply #68 on: January 01, 2019, 11:02:05 PM »
Great win! Place was packed. Other than us missing there backdoor cuts cannot complain!

Marillac

« Reply #69 on: January 01, 2019, 11:05:52 PM »
Rothstein
Steve Wojciechowski on St. John's: "You're looking at one of the Top 20 teams in the country. They're every bit as good or better as anyone we've played so far." #SJUBB

Make of that what you will. They've played Kansas

Yesss. High praise.

Marillac

« Reply #70 on: January 01, 2019, 11:12:47 PM »
A few thoughts...
Fans seemed to really show up. I like McEnroe courtside.

Len Elmore seems to always be high on us and Mullin. I wonder if he is friends with Mullin since they both went to Power Memorial (before Mullin transferred to Xavieran).

Clark has been doing a sensational job switching on guards after a very rocky start to the year in that area. He's really keeping them honest without overplaying.

redslope

« Reply #71 on: January 01, 2019, 11:27:02 PM »
Just back and want to thank the team for providing the New Year's fireworks that were rained out last night.  (Between Saturday and tonight, it was truly the agony and the ecstasy experience of college BB.)   I was worried at halftime because Heron hadn't scored but he had a great second half.  Also wonder if he knew who the "Old Guy" high fiving him at courtside was?  Very Happy for Clark turning his performance around.  He is the glue guy/senior we have lacked and he is a leader and warrior out there.   It is a role that Simon can play next year.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 11:27:42 PM by redslope »

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #72 on: January 01, 2019, 11:38:06 PM »
The game was fun to watch, and it was awesome watching this team fly against a ranked team.

I wouldn’t say that this team is past Seton Hall yet. 1-1 can easily become 1-3 over next the next two games and they are back to where they started.

It’s been over a decade since they beat GT away, and after an emotionally charged two games, number 3 is Ewing vs. Mullin, which is still has some charge. Nova is still Nova.

Being 2-0 right now would have been a nice feather in the cap.

On a positive New Years note:
-The team is undefeated for 19
-This is the 3rd (regular season) game in a row where they defeated a ranked team. That’s a nice streak...4, 1, and 16
-The team is very much of the personality of their coach, never too high/low. Frustrating for fans when losing, but coming off grounded after the Hall game, and playing the way they did tonight.

*Enjoying the SJU 13-1* record popping up Twitter.
**The chant of undefeated at CA was awesome.
Cougar O' Malley

SJUFAN

« Reply #73 on: January 02, 2019, 12:57:09 AM »
He did that three separate times tonight.
Mullin emptied the bench with under 2 to go. Ponds still logged 37 minutes. Hence the key word MORE rest.

SJUFAN

« Reply #74 on: January 02, 2019, 01:02:35 AM »
He's been doing that all year.
He logged 37 minutes tonight and 38 minutes on Saturday. We need him fresh at the end of ball games and think Mullin can find more rest for him.

« Reply #75 on: January 02, 2019, 01:05:45 AM »
Mullin made good use of his time outs, early on calling one after a couple Howard open threes and I don’t think there was another open 3 by him all night. Came in with a specific and well drawn game plan and got guys back on track after a momentary lapse.

« Reply #76 on: January 02, 2019, 01:11:54 AM »
Thought I was going to Carnesecca Arena to watch St. John's play tonight. What I saw was the home team blow out the 16th ranked team in the country in front of a raucous electric crowd so I didn't know where I was. Great win and great performances all around. Wonder how much the thievery of the SH game spurred us to what may have been the best performance of the Mullin era. Sure we beat Duke and Nova last year and while they were great wins they were very close games. Tonight was a great all around performance and a blow out of a nationally ranked team. Hope we all get to see more games like this.

goredmen

« Reply #77 on: January 02, 2019, 01:12:10 AM »
Moved up 10 spots on KenPom from this win, from 51 to 41.

SHU and Marq combined to go 10-39 from 3 in these 2 games. Hope that type of percentage is sustainable all year for our D.

I’ve been tough on the staff in the past but that was a hell of a coached game tonight. The D gameplan was terrific and the offense never stagnated like it did vs SHU. There were some miscommunications on D that hopefully get cleaned up.

Trying not to get too high after one game knowing full well they can give it back Saturday but damn this was an inspiring one.

Marillac

« Reply #78 on: January 02, 2019, 03:36:23 AM »
He logged 37 minutes tonight and 38 minutes on Saturday. We need him fresh at the end of ball games and think Mullin can find more rest for him.

You wrote that you wanted Mullin to get him more rest around the TV timeouts...that won't limit the minutes played. That's the whole point of resting him then. Mullin also stacked a team timeout with the TV timeout once with Ponds resting.

Mullin has been getting Ponds rest at the 12 and 8 minute tv timeouts all year.

Ponds wasn't tired against SH. He was guarded well for the first time all season.

Marillac

« Reply #79 on: January 02, 2019, 03:37:51 AM »
Moved up 10 spots on KenPom from this win, from 51 to 41.

SHU and Marq combined to go 10-39 from 3 in these 2 games. Hope that type of percentage is sustainable all year for our D.

I’ve been tough on the staff in the past but that was a hell of a coached game tonight. The D gameplan was terrific and the offense never stagnated like it did vs SHU. There were some miscommunications on D that hopefully get cleaned up.

Trying not to get too high after one game knowing full well they can give it back Saturday but damn this was an inspiring one.

Dropped ten spots in the NET after the road loss to SH which is absolute lunacy.