Game 17: DePaul 6P (CBSS, 570 AM)

• 162 replies
Re: Game 17: DePaul 6P (CBSS, 570 AM)
« Reply #120 on: January 13, 2019, 09:20:32 AM »
Tariq's dad had this on twitter a little while ago

Renard buys houses

@eljefe132

Replying to @TDA3397 @MikeMagarian
We left because after evaluating everything over the last 3 years I felt like Tariq needed more in terms of his career and reaching his goals. Sure he could have helped STJ. Honestly Texas Tech was the best move for him and it’s working out.
3:23 AM - 13 Jan 2019 from South Gate, MD

Foad

« Reply #121 on: January 13, 2019, 09:35:51 AM »

« Reply #122 on: January 13, 2019, 10:41:30 AM »
Tariq's dad had this on twitter a little while ago

Renard buys houses

@eljefe132

Replying to @TDA3397 @MikeMagarian
We left because after evaluating everything over the last 3 years I felt like Tariq needed more in terms of his career and reaching his goals. Sure he could have helped STJ. Honestly Texas Tech was the best move for him and it’s working out.
3:23 AM - 13 Jan 2019 from South Gate, MD

Wow does he read this site??

« Reply #123 on: January 13, 2019, 11:24:36 AM »
Probably. The vultures tend to circle in rougher waters. Hence why this thread includes posters from some - ahem - who’ve been noticeably absent all year.

« Reply #124 on: January 13, 2019, 12:08:31 PM »
Game was half-court all night.  Never got any up and down tempo going.  Perhaps Dixon could have helped with that.  We looked small next to #4 and especially #25.

The Wednesday Creighton game now monster big.
News flash-we ain't very big. Seemingly that will be cured next season. Looked like Femi really wanted to prove what we are missing and that is any semblance of low post play.Thought we were going to get that kid last year.

SJUFAN

« Reply #125 on: January 13, 2019, 12:13:08 PM »
This game really showed how much the staff relies on Ponds. If you want to give them credit for his and Lj’s development then they also must take some heat for Heron’s and Trimble’s.

Season isn’t over. We can very well go 10-3 or 9-4 over our next remaining league games. But it’s solely on us shooting the ball well, which we can. Plus having Ponds back. We are not going to attempt to get the ball in the high post and look for back door cuts. We are who we are and it will be up to the staff to find success the way they want to play, if they are unable to with this roster then we will need to question if they will be ever be able to.

SJUFAN

« Reply #126 on: January 13, 2019, 12:38:44 PM »
News flash-we ain't very big. Seemingly that will be cured next season. Looked like Femi really wanted to prove what we are missing and that is any semblance of low post play.Thought we were going to get that kid last year.
We weren’t very big in 1999/2000. Neither was Nova winning national championships. It’s an excuse. We have talent and that’s what matters. We play a style that doesn’t maximize the talent we have. Why not use our size, speed, and length to our advantage by pressing and trapping more? Look how we double the post, very passive. We often only show and when we do we show before the post player puts the ball on the floor.

Our style of play is the problem. DePaul didn’t shoot the ball well. But they had 14 offensive rebounds, an area this staff isn’t focused on. They also only had 9 turnovers.

Poison

« Reply #127 on: January 13, 2019, 12:47:52 PM »
We weren’t very big in 1999/2000. Neither was Nova winning national championships. It’s an excuse. We have talent and that’s what matters. We play a style that doesn’t maximize the talent we have. Why not use our size, speed, and length to our advantage by pressing and trapping more? Look how we double the post, very passive. We often only show and when we do we show before the post player puts the ball on the floor.

Our style of play is the problem. DePaul didn’t shoot the ball well. But they had 14 offensive rebounds, an area this staff isn’t focused on. They also only had 9 turnovers.

Exactly. The staff hasn’t cared about defense, or getting after it in any way. This is what happens when you have a game where you struggle struggle to score.

We’ve basically lost two lead guards at a time when their offense was our answer for our weak defense.

And that Jarvis team was intense on defense. They always tried on d. We only put the effort in for short periods of time.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 12:49:30 PM by Poison »

SJUFAN

« Reply #128 on: January 13, 2019, 12:48:12 PM »
To piggyback off the point I was making the last game and it showed again yesterday. We went to the FT line 6 times. They went 28! On our home court, that wasn’t Nova we were playing. Even though Puke and Nova receives beneficial calls, our style of play contributes to our lack of FT attempts. We don’t look to drive the ball to the basket aggressively to score.

SJUFAN

« Reply #129 on: January 13, 2019, 12:55:46 PM »
Exactly. The staff hasn’t cared about defense, or getting after it in any way. This is what happens when you have a game where you struggle struggle to score.

We’ve basically lost two lead guards at a time when their offense was our answer for our weak defense.

And that Jarvis team was intense on defense. They always tried on d. We only put the effort in for short periods of time.
We still scored 71 points. That’s enough to beat DePaul if your gonna play good defense. We are a finesse team who needs to score 85 points to win. DePaul bullied us. They bullied there way to 79 points. They only had 7 assists and went to the line 28 times. Ball game.

Johnny23

« Reply #130 on: January 13, 2019, 01:22:39 PM »
We still scored 71 points. That’s enough to beat DePaul if your gonna play good defense. We are a finesse team who needs to score 85 points to win. DePaul bullied us. They bullied there way to 79 points. They only had 7 assists and went to the line 28 times. Ball game.

Couldn't get stops in the 2nd half. No chance when we're trading baskets down by 8-10. Not enough driving to the hoop on O has been a constant problem. In some games we've been better at this but we far too often revert back to iso ball or just passing around the perimeter settling for deep jumpers. I agree it's the style of play and some of the other issues you listed. Shamorie covers up a lot of these thankfully but what if he is out for whatever reason and what about next year?

« Reply #131 on: January 13, 2019, 01:49:16 PM »
With Shamorie out I thought they would try to run the offense through lj and Simon in the high post and let Heron drive a lot more. I really would like to see Keita and Clark on the floor a lot more together. I'm guessing there easing Keita back.

cjfish

« Reply #132 on: January 13, 2019, 02:16:58 PM »
A few observations.  Ponds is responsible for 30 to 40 points a game.  Who was going to make that up?  The team had little practice time to prep for this, if any, as Ponds is day to day.  The team couldn't press since they were even more shorthanded than usual.  Cant expect to win when the man around whom the team revolves is out suddenly.  A terrible loss but given the circumstances it was likely.  Team did have a chance but poor 3 shooting and lackluster D did them in.  Herron not looking like the man everyone thought he was.   Really miss Mikey, I liked his game, flawed as it was, and with him at the point for 20+ this would have been a win. If Ponds misses anymore games the season could rapidly turn into a disaster.   

« Reply #133 on: January 13, 2019, 03:38:56 PM »
Love CM, as a player. If he would spend half as much time coaching as he does yelling at the refs, the team would be much better off. That technical (which we knew was coming) was a killer because we were still in the game at the time. They do so many basic things wrong. They play defense with their arms (too may reach in fouls) and not with their feet. They over switch, which sets up the opponents big men underneath against a much smaller player. They even switch before they have to, which leaves the person with the ball wide open. They don't box out or have set offensive plays. They get no offensive rebounds because as soon as the shot is taken everyone runs back to play defense. Who plays like this at a major college level. All of this could be improved with coaching and hasn't been since CM. And please, please give Greg Williams some more playing time. He appears to have some skills, quickness and upside, which I don't see in Trimble. I don't believe giving Allen a few minutes would hurt either since he might block a shot and save Clark from picking up a silly reach in foul. The players are better, but this team has not progressed.

Foad

« Reply #134 on: January 13, 2019, 03:51:46 PM »
Love CM, as a player. If he would spend half as much time coaching as he does yelling at the refs, the team would be much better off. That technical (which we knew was coming) was a killer because we were still in the game at the time.

The technical was called with SJ down six and DP in possession. They made one of two. The coach giving up points is dumb but it was hardly a killer.

Poison

« Reply #135 on: January 13, 2019, 04:10:35 PM »
The technical was called with SJ down six and DP in possession. They made one of two. The coach giving up points is dumb but it was hardly a killer.

Mullin was bitching about fouls the entire game. It’s a factor because his behavior can turn the refs against us. He acts like a child.

Foad

« Reply #136 on: January 13, 2019, 04:22:56 PM »
Mullin was bitching about fouls the entire game. It’s a factor because his behavior can turn the refs against us. He acts like a child.

That's fair enough - although I think the refs are against us: SJU has shot 22 FTs versus 50 for their opponents in the past two games. I'd complain about that if I were a coach. If his behavior turns  "the ref against us" then the refs are corrupt, because they should call the game fairly, despite their biases against the coach. And if the technical has 'lit a fire' under us, which is what you'd hear if SJ had won, then then the technical would have been strategic genyoious.

Poison

« Reply #137 on: January 13, 2019, 07:17:51 PM »
That's fair enough - although I think the refs are against us: SJU has shot 22 FTs versus 50 for their opponents in the past two games. I'd complain about that if I were a coach. If his behavior turns  "the ref against us" then the refs are corrupt, because they should call the game fairly, despite their biases against the coach. And if the technical has 'lit a fire' under us, which is what you'd hear if SJ had won, then then the technical would have been strategic genyoious.

Mullin is upset about not getting calls. Do we deserve calls? Do our defenders bother to deny the ball to DePaul’s bigs? Did they bother to box out?

Mullin wasn’t prepared for this game, and he took it out on the refs. Blaming them is a sucker’s game in any sport. You have to take responsibility for your own team’s performance and preparation. I’m sick of listening to Mullin use the refs as his crutch when his incompetence is exposed.

Defense is about effort. A head coach needs to call for it, and recognize that it matters.

SJUFAN

« Reply #138 on: January 13, 2019, 08:18:36 PM »
Mullin is upset about not getting calls. Do we deserve calls? Do our defenders bother to deny the ball to DePaul’s bigs? Did they bother to box out?

Mullin wasn’t prepared for this game, and he took it out on the refs. Blaming them is a sucker’s game in any sport. You have to take responsibility for your own team’s performance and preparation. I’m sick of listening to Mullin use the refs as his crutch when his incompetence is exposed.

Defense is about effort. A head coach needs to call for it, and recognize that it matters.

Nail on head. We’re a jump shooting team that don’t battle for rebounds and some expect us to to go to the foul line as much as others who are more aggressive and it’s a conspiracy that we are not. The coach doesn’t call for it in Practice! He doesn’t require them to rebound. He doesn’t require them to draw contact while driving to the basket. He requires jump shots and to get back on defense. Which makes sense actually if you play that style. I’m just not a fan of that style. Its why Clark is on our team and not Michigan St. Speaking of which I was watching them play today, I believe they would foul out our whole front line. Ward is a beast.

I once saw a coach getting on his players for not executing the press right after he called for it while being down late in the game. The problem was, as I saw it, the team never practiced the press. That’s what I see of Mullin, with the exception of getting mad at his players for not executing it right.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 09:40:14 PM by SJUFAN »

Foad

« Reply #139 on: January 14, 2019, 08:39:25 AM »

How does denying the ball to DePaul's bigs and boxing out translate into getting foul calls? I don't think Mullin is complaining that their not getting their fare share of over the backs.

In football the refs could call holding and pass interference on every play, they just don't. Same thing in basketball. Everybody hand checks, everybody holds, people get bodied driving in the lane, there's contact on every play. Some teams get those calls and some teams don't, the latter comprising teams whose coach "has turned the refs against us."

So you're talking out of all three sides of your mouth. There is bias, there isn't bias, and to the extent that there is bias it doesn't matter. If there were a fourth option I'm sure you'd propound that as well, as it suited you.