Game 20: Georgetown 12P@MSG (FOX, 570 AM)

• 220 replies

Foad

Re: Game 20: Georgetown 12P@MSG (FOX, 570 AM)
« Reply #160 on: January 27, 2019, 04:32:48 PM »
And just like that, as now St Johns vs Xavier in the Big East tournament playin game

How are the Toledo Mudhens (7-11) doing stupid. Oh that's right, after having squeaked by Rider at home and they to lost mighty Fairfield. Good game, Iona got within nine at the end. So close. Hopefully they find their mojo against powerhouse Manhattan. That's a big game relative to their CBI hopes.

Foad

« Reply #161 on: January 27, 2019, 04:41:29 PM »
I don't recall the administration nixing that hire being the reason Rice never came aboard. I seem to remember the posters you allude to saying that it was Mullin's call. I could be wrong though and you may be right. However, if the administration did nix Rice, Mullin should have upgraded his staff with somebody else. It has been clear for a while now that Mullin needs X's and O's help and he has done nothing to address this while keeping mostly useless Mitch Richmond on staff. Meanwhile, the same issues we've had the past few years have yet to be corrected and we're looking at another season of hosting Stony Brook at Carnesecca in the NIT with a roster talented enough to be a single digit seed in the NCAA Tournament

All I know is what various poseurs posters with sources and moles have reported. I don't what is true or false, only what they say.

I don't believe that the issue is Xs and Os, unless by Xs and Os you mean you mean that Mullin is running a system that is perhaps too sophisticated for his players. I think one of the problems that prodigies who coach is that they expect their players to see the game the way they did. Ted Williams was the greatest hitter who ever lived by a wide margin and had a losing record as a manager. It wasn't because he didn't understand baseball, it was because he carelessly assumed that everyone understood baseball as well as he did.

« Reply #162 on: January 27, 2019, 04:42:35 PM »
How are the Toledo Mudhens (7-11) doing stupid. Oh that's right, after having squeaked by Rider at home and they to lost mighty Fairfield. Good game, Iona got within nine at the end. So close. Hopefully they find their mojo against powerhouse Manhattan. That's a big game relative to their CBI hopes.

Snowflake

« Reply #163 on: January 27, 2019, 04:44:01 PM »
Georgetown shot the ball great today.  Part of it was due to the defense but part of it was no doubt some of their kids having great games.  Some of those 3's they hit in the second half weren't good shots per se but they nailed them.

I'm not giving up on this team.  We can win games on the road and I still think beat anybody.

Poison

« Reply #164 on: January 27, 2019, 04:44:36 PM »
I don't recall the administration nixing that hire being the reason Rice never came aboard. I seem to remember the posters you allude to saying that it was Mullin's call. I could be wrong though and you may be right. However, if the administration did nix Rice, Mullin should have upgraded his staff with somebody else. It has been clear for a while now that Mullin needs X's and O's help and he has done nothing to address this while keeping mostly useless Mitch Richmond on staff. Meanwhile, the same issues we've had the past few years have yet to be corrected and we're looking at another season of hosting Stony Brook at Carnesecca in the NIT with a roster talented enough to be a single digit seed in the NCAA Tournament

It doesn’t matter if the administration nixed the hiring. If you need a coach to do your job for you, you shouldn’t be a head coach. If this is true for Lavin, it’s true for Mullin.

He was an incredibly hopeful but careless decision from the very beginning.

Poison

« Reply #165 on: January 27, 2019, 04:51:19 PM »
Georgetown shot the ball great today.  Part of it was due to the defense but part of it was no doubt some of their kids having great games.  Some of those 3's they hit in the second half weren't good shots per se but they nailed them.

I'm not giving up on this team.  We can win games on the road and I still think beat anybody.

I wonder if not guarding their players helped their shooting?

goredmen

« Reply #166 on: January 27, 2019, 04:52:38 PM »
All I know is what various poseurs posters with sources and moles have reported. I don't what is true or false, only what they say.

I don't believe that the issue is Xs and Os, unless by Xs and Os you mean you mean that Mullin is running a system that is perhaps too sophisticated for his players. I think one of the problems that prodigies who coach is that they expect their players to see the game the way they did. Ted Williams was the greatest hitter who ever lived by a wide margin and had a losing record as a manager. It wasn't because he didn't understand baseball, it was because he carelessly assumed that everyone understood baseball as well as he did.

There is an issue with the coaching and whatever the reason for it is has needed to be addressed long ago. It wasn't addressed and we are quickly becoming one of, if not the most disappointing and underachieving teams in the country.

Again, similar to Lavin's final two seasons, I am left wondering that if ceiling is so low with this level of talent then the type of roster this staff will need to actually achieve something worthwhile is unattainable. 

« Reply #167 on: January 27, 2019, 04:57:36 PM »

In fairness Williams manged the Washington Senators. Washington, first in war, first in peace, and last in the American League. Not exactly a talent laden-ed team although if I remember correctly they may have had big Frank Howard at the time.

TONYD3

« Reply #168 on: January 27, 2019, 04:58:37 PM »

Coach Mullin’s

SJUFAN

« Reply #169 on: January 27, 2019, 06:23:42 PM »
It’s also about style, not necessarily the coaching, but that’s been bad as well. This 5 out offense doesn’t maximize our players strength on offense. First my starting 5 would be Ponds, Heron, LJ, Clark, and Keita. Williams and Simon off the bench. Keita and Simon shouldn’t be on the floor much the same time. Play more of a 4 out 1 in with plenty of pick and roles taking the ball to the rim looking for the two. Once the defense softens up that will open kick outs to our spot up shooters. LJ, Clark, and Heron are much better spot up shooters. Problem is we don’t attack the rim enough so the defense isn’t shrinking and that makes outside shots more contestable.

« Reply #170 on: January 27, 2019, 06:56:39 PM »
It’s also about style, not necessarily the coaching, but that’s been bad as well. This 5 out offense doesn’t maximize our players strength on offense. First my starting 5 would be Ponds, Heron, LJ, Clark, and Keita. Williams and Simon off the bench. Keita and Simon shouldn’t be on the floor much the same time. Play more of a 4 out 1 in with plenty of pick and roles taking the ball to the rim looking for the two. Once the defense softens up that will open kick outs to our spot up shooters. LJ, Clark, and Heron are much better spot up shooters. Problem is we don’t attack the rim enough so the defense isn’t shrinking and that makes outside shots more contestable.

The players at times are all pretty selfish. In this offense they should pass the ball around until they get an open shot. Contested shots are bad shots in this offense. With that said they have missed a bunch of wide open shots the last few games.

Foad

« Reply #171 on: January 27, 2019, 07:44:28 PM »

Foad

« Reply #172 on: January 27, 2019, 07:52:35 PM »
In fairness Williams manged the Washington Senators. Washington, first in war, first in peace, and last in the American League. Not exactly a talent laden-ed team although if I remember correctly they may have had big Frank Howard at the time.

Way to miss the point, which in your case is not surprising. Who did Frank Robinson manage? Ty Cobb? Wayne Gretsky? Isiah Thomas? Pete Rose? Magic Johnson? Did Frank Howard play for any of them? Do some research and get back to me.

Poison

« Reply #173 on: January 27, 2019, 07:55:28 PM »

I agree. Mullin is a terrible coach.

« Reply #174 on: January 27, 2019, 08:05:35 PM »
Way to miss the point, which in your case is not surprising. Who did Frank Robinson manage? Ty Cobb? Wayne Gretsky? Isiah Thomas? Pete Rose? Magic Johnson? Did Frank Howard play for any of them? Do some research and get back to me.
Have no idea what you are talking about. Thought I was being friendly and made an innocuous post but still you have to come at me with insults. I won't do the research nor will I get back to you. have a nice evening and before you go to bed GFY.

Foad

« Reply #175 on: January 27, 2019, 08:23:59 PM »
There is an issue with the coaching and whatever the reason for it is has needed to be addressed long ago. It wasn't addressed and we are quickly becoming one of, if not the most disappointing and underachieving teams in the country.

Unfortunately I could not see the game today, as it was pre empted locally by a telethon for the disabled. It's galling enough that those privileged cripples get preferred parking spaces and free wheel chairs and obama phones and various government benefits, but inconveniencing me really crosses a line. So I can't say whether today's loss had to do with flawed coaching. Neither can I say whether being 15-5 has to do with flawed coaching. One loss mayhaps has to do with flawed officiating and one to do mayhaps with Ponds flawed back. Nevertheless lately things have been disappointing. Maybe if Mike Rice was aboard they'd be 17-3 or maybe they'd be 20-0 or maybe he'd have crippled Ponds by winging a basketball at his head and they'd be 4-16. If not and their losses were due to not having Mike Rice and his lifetime losing BE record on board then they should have hired Mike Rice to begin with. Although they couldn't have done that four years ago, because he had not then shed his reputation as a disgraced homophobic psychopath. On the bright side Danny Hurley is in 8th place in the mighty AAC, so maybe he becomes available. And as far as I know he loves the gays  and had not assaulted anyone.

Again, similar to Lavin's final two seasons, I am left wondering that if ceiling is so low with this level of talent then the type of roster this staff will need to actually achieve something worthwhile is unattainable.

Regardless of the level of talent - which is obviously high - the roster is ill constructed. And I would not even blame where they started from for that. They need a serviceable big, which they don't have and that's on them. But I think things would be different if they had one or developed the ones they had. I disagree perhaps with the "if the ceiling is so low" formulation, because the ceiling is very high. Where the floor is is perhaps more problematic.

Foad

« Reply #176 on: January 27, 2019, 08:50:37 PM »
Have no idea what you are talking about. Thought I was being friendly and made an innocuous post but still you have to come at me with insults. I won't do the research nor will I get back to you. have a nice evening and before you go to bed GFY.

Sorry, I don't know what GFY means. Good for you maybe? Anyway I'm sorry that you're insulted. Whom am I kidding, no I'm not. My point was that sometimes great players make for bad managers/coaches because they assume that lesser players have the same understanding of the game that they had. Your response demonstrated either that you don't read for comprehension or that you're incapable of comprehending. In either case any research you might have done would have been pointless.

In four years Williams BTW managed inter alia former AL MVP Zoilo Versalles, two time Cy Award winner Denny McClain, John Roseboro, who started for three of four Dodger World Series champions, Curt Flood, who won a world series ring with the cardinals in 1967 and whose bone headed play in the seventh game of the 68 series allowed Senator Don Wert to win one with the Tigers in 1968, so his teams were not devoid of talent. He was just a lousy manager. I do not though proves that he lacked an understanding of baseball.

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #177 on: January 27, 2019, 09:06:06 PM »
The team is down 2, minute plus to go, they get the ball back shoot a 3 to go ahead, miss it, than miss 3 chip-ins to tie the game, and than completely collapse.

Is that coaching or over anxious players, trying to make a play? If the 3 went in, the Garden would have exploded...and probably SJU would have had the momentum to win the game.

Is it bad coaching that SJU always seems to have to make a late rally to try to get back/win the game? Is it that Players are being treated like pros and they can’t handle it?

As a fan I’m pissed that the fans seem to care more than the players and coaches do (by their own comments of being passive). Maybe that’s one reason why I’m fan and they are coaches (alongside many other reasons). I understand having heart attack wins  and breaking heart loses against good teams...Too many games this year against many different types of opponents feels this way...when they shouldn’t.

I don’t want to fire another coach again in their 4th or 5 year and having to rebuild...again. If Mullin is fired, than the commitments he team have will probably be gone. At the same time how does this team look to future recruits...

When was the last time the school hired a real coach without regrets? Jarvis? He turned out out to be a schmuck, but he was a great hire at the time. Harrington went O for after Louie retired, and appears the current administration is about to be O for 1.

I apologize for he long post, but it’s just frustrating how this school just can’t get their act together. I will proudly eat crow if this team goes on a tear and does well from here on out...I just don’t see it.

Is part of being a fan is abandoning the program to force a change, or being eternally optimistic that things will change?

Is this what it is like being a Mets fan (not being sarcastic)?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 09:12:46 PM by nudginator59 »
Cougar O' Malley

goredmen

« Reply #178 on: January 27, 2019, 09:46:38 PM »
The team is down 2, minute plus to go, they get the ball back shoot a 3 to go ahead, miss it, than miss 3 chip-ins to tie the game, and than completely collapse.

Is that coaching or over anxious players, trying to make a play? If the 3 went in, the Garden would have exploded...and probably SJU would have had the momentum to win the game.

Is it bad coaching that SJU always seems to have to make a late rally to try to get back/win the game? Is it that Players are being treated like pros and they can’t handle it?

As a fan I’m pissed that the fans seem to care more than the players and coaches do (by their own comments of being passive). Maybe that’s one reason why I’m fan and they are coaches (alongside many other reasons). I understand having heart attack wins  and breaking heart loses against good teams...Too many games this year against many different types of opponents feels this way...when they shouldn’t.

I don’t want to fire another coach again in their 4th or 5 year and having to rebuild...again. If Mullin is fired, than the commitments he team have will probably be gone. At the same time how does this team look to future recruits...

When was the last time the school hired a real coach without regrets? Jarvis? He turned out out to be a schmuck, but he was a great hire at the time. Harrington went O for after Louie retired, and appears the current administration is about to be O for 1.

I apologize for he long post, but it’s just frustrating how this school just can’t get their act together. I will proudly eat crow if this team goes on a tear and does well from here on out...I just don’t see it.

Is part of being a fan is abandoning the program to force a change, or being eternally optimistic that things will change?

Is this what it is like being a Mets fan (not being sarcastic)?

This is all well and good, but Georgetown at home is not a game for "well if we made that we woulda won." This game shouldn't have been close to the point where we in a situation to need a steal and putback dunk just to tie the game late. The switching everything even with Keita on the floor which leaves him guarding on the perimeter and Ponds guarding a 6-10 guy in the paint. The awful shot selection that hasn't been fixed going on 3 years now. Discouraging players to attack the offensive glass. Just some of many things stopping this team from reaching their full potential.

Then you go to the postgame comments by Heron and Ponds. "We kind of went through the motions in the first half." "I feel as a team we've all parted ways." That's on the coach

« Reply #179 on: January 27, 2019, 11:13:37 PM »
I would not give up on this team. Georgetown deserved the win. Shooting 48% of their 3’s and 84% of foul shots is big time. SJU shot 28% and 74%, which are loss numbers. Looking ahead playing Creighton on their court will be demanding but not unwinnable.  Another Duke upset and who knows how high they could go.