Game 20: Georgetown 12P@MSG (FOX, 570 AM)

• 220 replies

Ez_Uzi

Re: Game 20: Georgetown 12P@MSG (FOX, 570 AM)
« Reply #200 on: January 28, 2019, 01:34:48 PM »
Quote from: Poison on Today at 08:51:40 AM
making no changes until the last 2 minutes with a full court press. Play like that for the duration of the game, and we win going away.

Hard to do when you play five guys.

Georgetown
FG%          3pt%        FT%
46.9%   48.1%   84.2%

St. John's
38.2%   26.9%   76.5%

The game was lost at the 3pt and FT lines. I was at the game and even with about a minute plus left, the game was in the balance but with Figueroa's 3pt haste miss shot, that pretty much took the air out of our comeback ... If he makes it, St. John's likely wins ... there was no coaching shortcoming, rather Georgetown shot very well and St. John's shot poorly. Hats off to Georgetown, who executed very well.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 01:37:55 PM by Ez_Uzi »

« Reply #201 on: January 28, 2019, 02:49:45 PM »
The look Simon had on the follow up was a better look than LJ would have gotten.

LJ is the future of the program. I have no problem with him taking that shot, kid has balls and gets after it every play. He gets better every game. This is his team next year

« Reply #202 on: January 28, 2019, 03:18:19 PM »
Coach, players and staff,

We are all in your corner as you attempt to right this sinking ship.

Best always,
CA

« Reply #203 on: January 28, 2019, 04:00:48 PM »
LJ is the future of the program. I have no problem with him taking that shot, kid has balls and gets after it every play. He gets better every game. This is his team next year

He and Ponds are the only two player who have put up numbers on a consistent basis this year.  I like what the other three starters can provide, and they've all had their moments, but they've all been very up and down this year.

Foad

« Reply #204 on: January 28, 2019, 04:33:01 PM »
He and Ponds are the only two player who have put up numbers on a consistent basis this year.  I like what the other three starters can provide, and they've all had their moments, but they've all been very up and down this year.

That would explain why five players are averaging double figures.

« Reply #205 on: January 28, 2019, 04:49:31 PM »
It's no mystery.  The team is totally three point prowess dependent and will live or die by the three all season I suspect.

Conference wins:
36%
46%
41%
44%

Conference losses:
37%  close road loss to Natl. champion
26%
29%

26% - And the trend continues.

« Reply #206 on: January 28, 2019, 04:52:08 PM »
You’re a know nothing troll but I’ll bite—is it Mullins fault that Clark missed 7 3pointers? There was a booted ball, 3 missed tips at the rim. The team was in the position to win, they didn’t.

Georgetown is playing well, McClung especially. We aren’t out there playing D2 scrubs, games aren’t ours to lose, you have to earn the win.

Plenty of time left to get it together and go on a run, I think we probably need 6 wins before BET to make it to NCAA.
U r delusional.

« Reply #207 on: January 28, 2019, 04:52:17 PM »
They looked better than when we 1st played them with the white point and the other big.

Won't be easy.

Once again, our 2nd best player in the conference guard wasn't even the best guard on the floor (on this day) - see Villanova.  These other teams have some good talent too.

And surprisingly this time it was a freshmen.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 04:57:55 PM by carmineabbatiello »

« Reply #208 on: January 28, 2019, 04:59:20 PM »
making no changes until the last 2 minutes with a full court press. Play like that for the duration of the game, and we win going away.

Georgetown
46.9%   48.1%   84.2%

St. John's
38.2%   26.9%   76.5%

The game was lost at the 3pt and FT lines. I was at the game and even with about a minute plus left, the game was in the balance but with Figueroa's 3pt haste miss shot, that pretty much took the air out of our comeback ... If he makes it, St. John's likely wins ... there was no coaching shortcoming, rather Georgetown shot very well and St. John's shot poorly. Hats off to Georgetown, who executed very well.
U r even more DELUSIONAL.

« Reply #209 on: January 28, 2019, 05:03:54 PM »
Season isn't over yet, but there's no excuse for not hustling on defense. Shaking their heads on the sidelines, and making no changes until the last 2 minutes with a full court press. Play like that for the duration of the game, and we win going away. Cut the Sunday county club mentality and they can turn it around. Can't phone it in with this BE schedule.
Exactly.... and most of that comes from the head coach.

« Reply #210 on: January 28, 2019, 05:09:40 PM »
Shoelacegate of 2019 is the most overblown issue on here in recent memory, and there are many.

I think in game coaching is mostly over rated to start with, and who cares who is doing the majority of the talking in huddle. The message should be a unified one. It has been noted that St Jean is doing a large portion of the preparation so why not have him do some of the talking in huddle?

There are plenty of things to complain about for this staff—probably not enough recruiters, rotations doesn’t seem to be working out recently, allowing Simon to shoot/handle too much—but worrying about shoe tying, or how long it takes to get into the huddle or tossing a ball to an opposing coach are not among them
U can’t possibly be this dumb.

TONYD3

« Reply #211 on: January 28, 2019, 05:10:27 PM »
U can’t possibly be this dumb.
These older gentlemen aren’t delusional or dumb. They are mullintards.

« Reply #212 on: January 28, 2019, 05:14:12 PM »
All I know is what various poseurs posters with sources and moles have reported. I don't what is true or false, only what they say.

I don't believe that the issue is Xs and Os, unless by Xs and Os you mean you mean that Mullin is running a system that is perhaps too sophisticated for his players. I think one of the problems that prodigies who coach is that they expect their players to see the game the way they did. Ted Williams was the greatest hitter who ever lived by a wide margin and had a losing record as a manager. It wasn't because he didn't understand baseball, it was because he carelessly assumed that everyone understood baseball as well as he did.
Is this a serious post..lol... WOW, know I know why I don’t come here too often. The naivety here is mind-blowing.

« Reply #213 on: January 28, 2019, 05:20:31 PM »
This is all well and good, but Georgetown at home is not a game for "well if we made that we woulda won." This game shouldn't have been close to the point where we in a situation to need a steal and putback dunk just to tie the game late. The switching everything even with Keita on the floor which leaves him guarding on the perimeter and Ponds guarding a 6-10 guy in the paint. The awful shot selection that hasn't been fixed going on 3 years now. Discouraging players to attack the offensive glass. Just some of many things stopping this team from reaching their full potential.

Then you go to the postgame comments by Heron and Ponds. "We kind of went through the motions in the first half." "I feel as a team we've all parted ways." That's on the coach
Bingo!

tnice

« Reply #214 on: January 28, 2019, 06:09:59 PM »

Georgetown
46.9%   48.1%   84.2%

St. John's
38.2%   26.9%   76.5%

We're currently ranked #206 in the country in defensive 3pt FG%, which, sadly, is a big improvement from last year when we were ranked #296. So it seems to be some unlucky coincidence that teams just happen to shoot the ball well against us. Consistently. For the last two years.

(Pssst...that's a coaching shortcoming. As is the insistence on switching on all screens, which G'town exploited unmercifully yesterday because unlike Coach Mullin, Patrick Ewing is a really good coach. Other instances of coaching shortcomings: team consistently coming out flat, lengthy offensive droughts due to undisciplined play, allowing Justin Simon to have the ball in his hands an inordinate amount of time relative to his offensive skills, completely-with the exception of LJ- abandoning any pretense of offensive rebounding.)

Poison

« Reply #215 on: January 28, 2019, 06:44:48 PM »
The last month of the season will come down to how hard we want to play.

Georgetown made us earn our points all over the court. When they had the ball, I kept seeing Clark casually jogging over to the three point line and waving hello.

Unsurprisingly, Georgetown wasn’t intimidated by this.

It should also be stated that this was a problem with Lavin teams as well. We sit back and hope for the best when it comes to guarding shooters.

« Reply #216 on: January 28, 2019, 06:52:04 PM »
How about butler then Georgetown starting 7 for 12 to start game? That’s not coincidence. Our lack of game plan is on staff, whether not implementing it or having kids who just don’t want to do it.

One of my more fav plays yesterday was our pg Simon, not a real pg, was looking back to get a play from Mullin 35 feet from bench, other side of court with Mcclung literally face guarding him at half court, and steals the ball before half.  Because sju has no one who can handle ball with ponds out of game, might of been better to get play in before half court when clearly g town was in a man to man defense?

Foad

« Reply #217 on: January 28, 2019, 06:52:41 PM »
know I know why I don’t come here too often

My guesses: because every time you try and turn on your computer you get confused and break a bone or that every time you try and spell JJ you get confused by the J's.

« Reply #218 on: January 28, 2019, 08:16:53 PM »
The switching of Keita at the top of the key. Makes no sense. Leaving Ponds  fighting Govan in the post. Then all the players collapse and three point shooters are wide open for a set shot. Maybe mix up things during the game like zone or leave  Keita on Govan. Mullin seems so stubborn he can’t improvise on the fly. At least get the kids up and ready to compete. Do something to lead your team! Lassez faire!

TONYD3

« Reply #219 on: January 28, 2019, 08:31:44 PM »
The switching of Keita at the top of the key. Makes no sense. Leaving Ponds  fighting Govan in the post. Then all the players collapse and three point shooters are wide open for a set shot. Maybe mix up things during the game like zone or leave  Keita on Govan. Mullin seems so stubborn he can’t improvise on the fly. At least get the kids up and ready to compete. Do something to lead your team! Lassez faire!

Gimmick defense. Worked well at times. Will work vs Creighton. Playing this way vs Georgetown May be the dumbest thing mullin has ever done as coach.