NCAA Tourney Bracket/Bubble Watch

• 321 replies
Re: NCAA Tourney Bracket/Bubble Watch
« Reply #240 on: March 16, 2019, 09:58:45 PM »
Why is Oregon favored over Washington?

Poison

« Reply #241 on: March 16, 2019, 10:03:10 PM »
Does Davidson get in without winning the A-10?

Who have they beaten?

goredmen

« Reply #242 on: March 16, 2019, 10:14:43 PM »
Why is Oregon favored over Washington?

They are almost exactly even on the season-long metrics but Oregon has won 7 in a row and beat Washington in Washington a week ago so the line has been Oregon -1.5 or -2 all day

« Reply #243 on: March 16, 2019, 10:24:08 PM »
They are almost exactly even on the season-long metrics but Oregon has won 7 in a row and beat Washington in Washington a week ago so the line has been Oregon -1.5 or -2 all day

But the 10-8 team is favored over the 15-3 first place conference team.  Discouraging line for us but can't complain. We've had a fantastic day of scoreboard watching thus far.

goredmen

« Reply #244 on: March 16, 2019, 10:35:37 PM »
But the 10-8 team is favored over the 15-3 first place conference team.  Discouraging line for us but can't complain. We've had a fantastic day of scoreboard watching thus far.

Yep. 4/4 so far. Nothing to sweat tomorrow until 6:00. Our fate will be decided tonight one way or another

« Reply #245 on: March 16, 2019, 10:45:13 PM »
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

Especially the idiot who cant manage the quote function

Poison

« Reply #246 on: March 16, 2019, 10:59:56 PM »
Might be able to afford 1 upset, 2 at most...as TCU is behind us as well as NC St.

How Ohio state is 3 spots ahead of us is surprising.

The Big Ten is a man’s conference. Ohio State plays a harder schedule than we do.

goredmen

« Reply #247 on: March 17, 2019, 12:18:13 AM »
Oregon is going to win. That steals another bid. That wraps it up for bid stealers this year. The committee can essentially decide which at large teams are in/out before the games even start tomorrow so our fate will be sealed by then.

We are as bubble as bubble can be. If a team like Belmont or UNC Greensboro gets announced early on in the bracket reveal then it's probably light out for us.

« Reply #248 on: March 17, 2019, 12:44:15 AM »
Good news is even after W bracket metrixs still has us in. Quad 1 wins will help. So will BE not having as many teams. Also I believe the commitee factors injuries to regulars so perhaps the Heron and Ponds absences from certain games also helps.

goredmen

« Reply #249 on: March 17, 2019, 12:53:44 AM »
Good news is even after W bracket metrixs still has us in. Quad 1 wins will help. So will BE not having as many teams. Also I believe the commitee factors injuries to regulars so perhaps the Heron and Ponds absences from certain games also helps.

Yep. NC State was the team that got bumped by the Oregon win on the matrix. We are now the last team in.

Interesting to note however is that I don't believe any of the 144 brackets on the matrix last year correctly predicted more than 66 of the 68 teams in the field. So we really are a true toss up at this point.

Just gonna have to wait and see.

Poison

« Reply #250 on: March 17, 2019, 12:59:08 AM »

I hope they factor in our games without Ponds and Heron, but in fairness, what about the other team’s injuries that benefited us?

Like when Creighton played us at home w out their point guard? Every team has injuries. I think it all washes out fairly most of the time.

Would the committee give us a one win advantage because the refs stole one from us? Doubtful, because Ponds probably fouled the shooter in OT at Barclays against VCU. Bad calls happen. We’ve been on both sides of that coin.

What concerns me the most is our 8-10 conference record.

What gives me confidence is our strong quad one wins and no really bad losses.

I think we’re in and we’ll play on Tuesday or Wednesday in the play in game.

« Reply #251 on: March 17, 2019, 02:05:52 AM »
Would the committee give us a one win advantage because the refs stole one from us? Doubtful, because Ponds probably fouled the shooter in OT at Barclays against VCU. Bad calls happen. We’ve been on both sides of that coin.

Do not ever again compare the type of typical no call you see on a last second desperation 30 ft. buzzer beater to the once in a century butt fuc*i*g we took in Jersey.

What's the matter with you?

« Reply #252 on: March 17, 2019, 05:10:42 AM »
Exactly. And the injury factor depends on the players.

« Reply #253 on: March 17, 2019, 07:26:28 AM »
At this point, the range of likely outcomes seems to be from an 11 seed that avoids the play in game to out completely. All in the committees hands now, but the other likely 11 seeds do not have particularly strong resumes, so I could see St. John’s being one of the best of those 6.

« Reply #254 on: March 17, 2019, 08:47:22 AM »
Only the cruelest of all destinies for this fan base.  Our bubble being burst at the last possible moment with the Oregon win.  No doubt we're the first team out.

When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

Poison

« Reply #255 on: March 17, 2019, 10:22:03 AM »
Do not ever again compare the type of typical no call you see on a last second desperation 30 ft. buzzer beater to the once in a century butt fuc*i*g we took in Jersey.

What's the matter with you?

The committee isn’t pulling out their violin for us. It’s too bad the call was incorrect but the committee won’t count it as a win.

Human error is part of the game.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 10:22:49 AM by Poison »

« Reply #256 on: March 17, 2019, 02:05:12 PM »
The committee isn’t pulling out their violin for us. It’s too bad the call was incorrect but the committee won’t count it as a win.

Human error is part of the game.

I agree with that part.

I just didn't like when you equate the mundane, garden variety very normal no call in Brooklyn to the cataclysmic, epic screw up in Jersey.

Johnny23

« Reply #257 on: March 18, 2019, 07:41:03 AM »
You’re usually wrong so I’d like to bet on that.

Like I said, easy money. You lost.

« Reply #258 on: March 18, 2019, 04:45:44 PM »
(I reserve the right to use it the remainder of this season but will scrap it next year if we dance) 

True to my word, my whining and complaining about Clockgate is coming to an end. My moratorium on it's use begins after the tournament.

« Reply #259 on: March 18, 2019, 08:11:20 PM »
Like I said, easy money. You lost.

You’re right. Was surprised to see such a fall. Congratulations to you, your incessant pessimism has proven valuable.