New Coach

• 840 replies

Poison

Re: New Coach
« Reply #560 on: April 16, 2019, 12:24:17 PM »
Moser = Norm Part Deux? What are some of you smoking? Watch this guy coach and get back to me. Norm or Mullin couldn't make a Final 4 unless they bought tix to it.

Man is a beast on the sidelines. Like Fran after a 32oz cup of coffee.

Foad

« Reply #561 on: April 16, 2019, 12:24:40 PM »
Yale’s James Jones also interviewed at @StJohnsBBall , per sources

Another elite contender.

Poison

« Reply #562 on: April 16, 2019, 12:26:20 PM »
I didn't understand this hire, or know much about Moser besides what his record said etc. So I spent about 3 hrs yesterday talking to Chicago people and reading about him. He's Chicago through and through. His parents are too. They've given a lot of $ to Chicago, and have some building or structure named after the Moser name. He also comes from money from what I read so that's not really a big factor here. After teh final four run he got a raise from $420k to approx 700-800k and an extension through 2025. Coming to SJU doesn't make sense for him. He also has 4 kids in their teens. I can easily see him saying no to us for family reasons and being chicago all the way, probably waiting for DePaul

People don’t care about but DePaul in Chicago. Some think we got problems. Their arena is convenient for no one.

Poison

« Reply #563 on: April 16, 2019, 12:36:55 PM »
Yale’s James Jones also interviewed at @StJohnsBBall , per sources

Another elite contender.

Yale looked great last year. What’s your problem with him?

« Reply #564 on: April 16, 2019, 12:42:25 PM »
I don't really know much about this guy, other than the final four run.  Every opinion about him I see online is positive - he's a good coach, has energy, will do a good job.  I'm sure he knows how to recruit and where he'll need help in that regard.  Good luck I hope it works out well for St. John's.  No guarantee Cluess would be better than this guy. For alums of St. John's, you guys probably didn't want Pitino, as good of a coach as he is, representing SJ's.  I wouldn't.

Pitino was my first choice and still is sad it won't happen. I do not care about the scandals, we need to win and win now. Plus he would have groomed good successor. If there is anyone we should have taken from Loyola, its Sister Jean, not the coach.

Final 4 was luck- as others said, had benefit of playing lower ranked teams further they went. And the entire "cinderella" concept is overblown- why these teams get upset is because they (1) look down or play to opponents level and (2) have not played teams like that regularly during the year so the mystery and system plays to the cinderella advantage. There are reasons why some players go to high major, mid major and low major. Of course there are always exceptions but the rule generally is consistent.

This would be bad hire as I think Cluess would. The athletic department clearly is not prioritizing taking program to next level, but would rather stay complacent and keep rebuilding because they are too cheap.

« Reply #565 on: April 16, 2019, 12:50:45 PM »
Way things are going my buddy Tim O’Toole would make a great hire.

Foad

« Reply #566 on: April 16, 2019, 12:59:24 PM »
Yale looked great last year. What’s your problem with him?

Does Yale have athletic scholarships?

Foad

« Reply #567 on: April 16, 2019, 01:01:20 PM »
Way things are going my buddy Tim O’Toole would make a great hire.

The way things are going Peter O'Toole would make a great hire.

goredmen

« Reply #568 on: April 17, 2019, 05:40:11 PM »
So... anything of note happen while JJ was down? :)

SJUFAN

« Reply #569 on: April 17, 2019, 05:46:59 PM »

Mike repole was on Francesca today. All I can say is wow! Cragg isn’t the issue. The higher ups are undercutting him. Think he said they wanted to pay Bobby Hurley 2 million per. It’s a joke, we are a joke. We are...

He was going HAM on the president and his sidekick calling for their resignation. Pretty telling and shocking interview.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 05:50:22 PM by SJUFAN »

goredmen

« Reply #570 on: April 17, 2019, 06:04:32 PM »
Saw Frank Haith is interviewing tomorrow. If he is actually in the mix that would be DISASTROUS. That would be the final nail in the coffin of this program

goredmen

« Reply #571 on: April 17, 2019, 06:06:30 PM »
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 06:07:06 PM by goredmen »

Foad

« Reply #572 on: April 17, 2019, 06:08:06 PM »
Cragg doing work.

Good call stupid.

Foad

« Reply #573 on: April 17, 2019, 06:13:11 PM »
Saw Frank Haith is interviewing tomorrow. If he is actually in the mix that would be DISASTROUS. That would be the final nail in the coffin of this program

Weird. Other than Clouseau, Pitino, Donovan, Matta, Bobby Knight and Jim Calhoun Haith was the only name that I've seen in two days that I'd be okay with.

Foad

« Reply #574 on: April 17, 2019, 06:13:59 PM »

Dave started a go fund me.

goredmen

« Reply #575 on: April 17, 2019, 06:20:05 PM »
Weird. Other than Clouseau, Pitino, Donovan, Matta, Bobby Knight and Jim Calhoun Haith was the only name that I've seen in two days that I'd be okay with.

He's awful. Not only does he stink as a coach, he's also been dumb enough to get caught cheating NCAA rules not once but twice. He'd kill us, but after that Repole interview today maybe thats what Bobby G and Oliva are trying to do.

goredmen

« Reply #576 on: April 17, 2019, 06:21:32 PM »

Foad

« Reply #577 on: April 17, 2019, 06:25:45 PM »
He's awful. Not only does he stink as a coach, he's also been dumb enough to get caught cheating NCAA rules not once but twice. He'd kill us, but after that Repole interview today maybe thats what Bobby G and Oliva are trying to do.

Cheating aide, he's .600 lifetime across four conferences, former coach of the year, nine post season appearances, Queens native, one losing season out of 16 total. Why is he awful? Sincere question, I doubt I've ever seen him coach a game.

goredmen

« Reply #578 on: April 17, 2019, 06:36:25 PM »
Cheating aide, he's .600 lifetime across four conferences, former coach of the year, nine post season appearances, Queens native, one losing season out of 16 total. Why is he awful? Sincere question, I doubt I've ever seen him coach a game.

His stop at Miami was average at best. Made 1 NCAA Tournament there in 7 years. Miami took off once he left.

His next stop was stepping into a great situation at Missouri with Mike Anderson's players after he left for Arkansas. Had a great year that year, got them a 2 seed and were bounced in the 1st round by 15 Norfolk State. The next year he had an average season getting a 9 seed and lost in the 1st round again. Year 3 when the team is mostly his own players, they go to the NIT and program was clearly trending down.

He noticed the down trend and got ahead of the posse to leave for another good situation at Tulsa, taking Danny Manning's players after he left for Wake Forest. One play-in round appearance in 5 years there and that program is clearly heading in the wrong direction now too so he's trying to get ahead of the posse once again. Hasn't been to the postseason in the last 3 years.

Foad

« Reply #579 on: April 17, 2019, 06:43:19 PM »
His stop at Miami was average at best. Made 1 NCAA Tournament there in 7 years. Miami took off once he left.

His next stop was stepping into a great situation at Missouri with Mike Anderson's players after he left for Arkansas. Had a great year that year, got them a 2 seed and were bounced in the 1st round by 15 Norfolk State. The next year he had an average season getting a 9 seed and lost in the 1st round again. Year 3 when the team is mostly his own players, they go to the NIT and program was clearly trending down.

He noticed the down trend and got ahead of the posse to leave for another good situation at Tulsa, taking Danny Manning's players after he left for Wake Forest. One play-in round appearance in 5 years there and that program is clearly heading in the wrong direction now too so he's trying to get ahead of the posse once again. Hasn't been to the postseason in the last 3 years.

Okay, I'm convinced. Bring on Ryan Odom.