How Shamorie Ponds is planning to prove everyone wrong at NBA Draft Combine

• 38 replies

LoganK

Shamorie going undrafted. If he is drafted he is late second from a Mullin friend. Shortly after he will be in G-League and eventually make it around Europe. Fool to leave now, serves him right. Yes, I know I am being harsh, but that is just my feeling.
Worst case scenario he's making 6 figures.  We should all be so foolish...

Assuming you're talking about him making that money in Europe.  G-League players make an average of 7k a month or 35k for the entire 5 month season.

Measured 5'11.5" at the combine

Did we list him as 6 or 6'1?

Also I hope he kills it, I know DraftExpress had some good things to say about his performance yesterday but that he isn't strong enough yet. I say 2nd round pick though for sure, I can see him as a Spur or Warrior and wonder how he was picked by them lol

LoganK

Assuming you're talking about him making that money in Europe.  G-League players make an average of 7k a month or 35k for the entire 5 month season.
Yes, you are right.  But the line of thought from the post i quoted ended with him in Europe.

I found "foolish" that the poster seemed to be relishing in schadenfreude at Ponds' potentially, fleeting NBA aspirations.

"Foolish" its more I do not like his ego. Thinking he is all that when he still had a year to get better. I was not impressed with him this year., he had a chance with a decent returning team and now actually a good coach to make the case for next year while getting his degree and perhaps making a real run to lift his stock to late first round.   Let us down in some big games this year when I expected more. Had "NBA" style games and did not rise to occasion

As a johnny do I want him to be successful, yes, but he is not Jakarr and even with Jakarr he made the NBA but he needed another year. I will still say that to this day.

Foad

"Foolish" its more I do not like his ego. Thinking he is all that when he still had a year to get better. I was not impressed with him this year., he had a chance with a decent returning team and now actually a good coach to make the case for next year while getting his degree and perhaps making a real run to lift his stock to late first round.   Let us down in some big games this year when I expected more. Had "NBA" style games and did not rise to occasion

How dare he not live up to your expectations.

TheVig

I read he measure 2nd highest body fat % at the combine, which does not come as a surprise. Even with his customized diet out in CA, his body never developed, which says a lot about his lack of commitment to S&T program and/or SJU’s ineptitude in that dept

Marillac

Lolololol

You think that’s “worst case”? Nigel Williams Goss went to the National Championship game and was drafted. He is exponentially better an makes only 100k. I’ve never met an American that collected his full contract price playing overseas.

Oh, and check out the tax rates in Europe when you get a chance. Then factor in middlemen, travel and lodging in the off-season, middlemen + agent fees, and then an accountant to help with repatriation and the complexities of making money outside of your home country. These guys all come back with nothing financially.

Now in terms of experience...different story. My two summers in Europe were some of the best days of my life and I wish I had gone abroad more when I was younger.

Simon has a great career ahead as a coach/anniuncer if he wants it. He stands to gain more from a degree and a grad degree than anyone we’ve had here in my time as a fan.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2019, 10:58:36 AM by Marillac »

Johnny23

Did we list him as 6 or 6'1?

Also I hope he kills it, I know DraftExpress had some good things to say about his performance yesterday but that he isn't strong enough yet. I say 2nd round pick though for sure, I can see him as a Spur or Warrior and wonder how he was picked by them lol

5'11.5 is 6'1 on any given roster. 

LoganK

Simon has a great career ahead as a coach/anniuncer if he wants it. He stands to gain more from a degree and a grad degree than anyone we’ve had here in my time as a fan.
Das coo... but we're talking about Ponds, so, there's that...

QuanMan

Great timing for Sham to shine in front of most of GS front office/coaches tomorrow with their days off in between the NBA Finals. Maybe Mullin shows up to support him, he'd be a great fit in their system, they select at 28 & 58.
Section 3
Section 116

Marillac

Das coo... but we're talking about Ponds, so, there's that...

Well that’s what I get for posting from poolside on a phone I can’t even see in the bright Florida sun.

tnice

Lolololol

You think that’s “worst case”? Nigel Williams Goss went to the National Championship game and was drafted. He is exponentially better an makes only 100k. I’ve never met an American that collected his full contract price playing overseas.

Oh, and check out the tax rates in Europe when you get a chance. Then factor in middlemen, travel and lodging in the off-season, middlemen + agent fees, and then an accountant to help with repatriation and the complexities of making money outside of your home country. These guys all come back with nothing financially.

Now in terms of experience...different story. My two summers in Europe were some of the best days of my life and I wish I had gone abroad more when I was younger.

Nigel Williams Goss signed a 3 year, $2 million contract with Olympiacos last year.

Also, guys who play overseas are usually provided free housing and their salaries are generally tax free. Their teams provide them with airfare to and from the US pre and post season.

Other than that, spot on as always.

Marillac

Nigel Williams Goss signed a 3 year, $2 million contract with Olympiacos last year.

Also, guys who play overseas are usually provided free housing and their salaries are generally tax free. Their teams provide them with airfare to and from the US pre and post season.

Other than that, spot on as always.

Ok douchebag,

First, Nigel Williams-Goss made just 130k his first season in Serbia. https://www.google.com/amp/www.spokesman.com/stories/2017/aug/28/williams-goss-signs-with-professional-team-in-serb/%3famp-content=amp

He won a championship and was named MVP so apparently he earned himself a raise recently. I’m sorry I haven’t kept up with his career abroad.I read one article a year ago and was surprised a player of his caliber was making so little. I have a friend who played D-3 who makes more but is an Italian citizen like his dad who played there (both born in NY).

Second, the tax free thing is comical. Highly rated players have in the past had their taxes paid for them abroad but they were always taxed. I don’t know if you’ve read the news about Europe the last decade +, but it’s a mess. Those perks are gone except for a select handful of players.

Third, Greece taxes its foreign basketball players 45% on any income over 100,000 Euro! https://dontmesswithtaxes.typepad.com/dont_mess_with_taxes/2010/09/greeces-professional-athletes-now-must-pay-their-own-taxes.html

Fourth, there is a modest foreign income exemption for Americans making money abroad, but everything after that is taxed including any benefits provided by a team or employer such as housing, travel, and other perks. Almost no athletes playing abroad file taxes accurately and on time and return home a financial mess.

Fifth, I don’t have good vision and the sun made it harder than usual to read. I thought the topic said Simon. I think a player like Ponds will do just fine in his career. Guys like Simon will have serious problems financially taking that route, but it may be worth it for the personal experiences.

Many of our fans think that anyone can just go to Europe and cash in, but that’s not true. Most of Europe is in terrible shape economically and have raised taxes to absurd levels. Euro teams have reduced the roster spots Americans can fill to 1-2 per team in many leagues, and they are producing more homegrown players than ever.

Ez_Uzi

Ok douchebag,

First, Nigel Williams-Goss made just 130k his first season in Serbia. https://www.google.com/amp/www.spokesman.com/stories/2017/aug/28/williams-goss-signs-with-professional-team-in-serb/%3famp-content=amp

He won a championship and was named MVP so apparently he earned himself a raise recently. I’m sorry I haven’t kept up with his career abroad.I read one article a year ago and was surprised a player of his caliber was making so little. I have a friend who played D-3 who makes more but is an Italian citizen like his dad who played there (both born in NY).

Second, the tax free thing is comical. Highly rated players have in the past had their taxes paid for them abroad but they were always taxed. I don’t know if you’ve read the news about Europe the last decade +, but it’s a mess. Those perks are gone except for a select handful of players.

Third, Greece taxes its foreign basketball players 45% on any income over 100,000 Euro! https://dontmesswithtaxes.typepad.com/dont_mess_with_taxes/2010/09/greeces-professional-athletes-now-must-pay-their-own-taxes.html

Fourth, there is a modest foreign income exemption for Americans making money abroad, but everything after that is taxed including any benefits provided by a team or employer such as housing, travel, and other perks. Almost no athletes playing abroad file taxes accurately and on time and return home a financial mess.

Fifth, I don’t have good vision and the sun made it harder than usual to read. I thought the topic said Simon. I think a player like Ponds will do just fine in his career. Guys like Simon will have serious problems financially taking that route, but it may be worth it for the personal experiences.

Many of our fans think that anyone can just go to Europe and cash in, but that’s not true. Most of Europe is in terrible shape economically and have raised taxes to absurd levels. Euro teams have reduced the roster spots Americans can fill to 1-2 per team in many leagues, and they are producing more homegrown players than ever.

Also, what appears as tax-free salaries are generally covered under bilateral double taxation treaties. Meaning while you are living and working abroad the question arises to which country do you pay your taxes to. So if these players are not paying taxes in their resident Europe countries ... you can bet your bottom dollar they are paying taxes in their home country ... 

No surprise but Shamorie posted on his instagram story that he will not be removing his name from the draft.  Said he is "all in."

No surprise but Shamorie posted on his instagram story that he will not be removing his name from the draft.  Said he is "all in."

His ego is about to be humbled, what a fool. Even if he is drafted he is going to make peanuts at the D-League or decide to travel Europe rather than come back. He could have led the team to some type of run with a good coach now and perhaps even push his way to solidfying or at least a better chance to get a roster spot next year and refine his game.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2019, 08:45:44 AM by friendofjohnnie »

Marillac

His ego is about to be humbled, what a fool. Even if he is drafted he is going to make peanuts at the D-League or decide to travel Europe rather than come back. He could have led the team to some type of run with a good coach now and perhaps even push his way to solidfying or at least a better chance to get a roster spot next year and refine his game.

Ponds will do just fine.